Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

suddenlyissoon posted:

Just give it up guys, the dream of Nintendo is over. They don't want to compete, they want to make money on nostalgia and gimmicks. 3 loving Wii type system in a row

So this.

If I didn't know any better and know that executives at Nintendo are just completely out of touch with markets globally, I would say that someone is purposely trying to fail at Nintendo with this console launch to prove a point to another executive that they need to move into a 3rd party development business for their IP's. This entire system is so anti consumer it makes the Xbox One's original launch details look like a a God send to gamers everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Nothing could live up to the hype they generated with one trailer two months ago

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Mulva posted:

You could also use a hard drive if you like.

This is the only thing I've seen about any external drive space. Have you seen something different?

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/497423/Nintendo+Switchs+storage+could+be+expanded+with+USB+drives/

quote:

Nintendo Switch is also able to support external hard disk drives via the USB 2.0 ports placed on the side of the console's dock. However, this option has not yet been activated on the system: Nintendo is still considering it, mainly for mobility reasons, as if you save your games on an external USB memory drive connected to your dock, you wouldn't be able to take them with you in handheld mode, which goes against main feature and philosophy of the new system.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

ethanol posted:

Are you supposed to install games to flash cards and carry around flash cards and games around or do you not install the flash card game

32 gb. Fuckin lol

Oh great I can't wait to hear you go on and on about how tiny game carts aren't portable.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Can't wait.

Adding a mini HDMI to the unit wouldn't have had hurt them though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

deadwing posted:

I've upgraded the storage on my Wii U, PS4, and Xbone. Welcome to modern gaming

The PS4 and Xbone came with storage that was respectable and still usable.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Wasn't the switch Iwata's last baby?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I'm surprised by the negative reaction I am reading here. This is the first Nintendo console I have considered buying since the Gamecube. I'll probably pick one up a couple months after launch because gently caress EVER buying a console at launch.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ethanol posted:

The PS4 and xbone can do just fine without storage upgrade. The Wii U and switch can't. Welcome to modern Nintendo gaming

PS4 and Xbone have mandatory installs, the Switch does not

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Modus Pwnens posted:

Oh great I can't wait to hear you go on and on about how tiny game carts aren't portable.

They made a tablet that needs a hdd and a dock to work

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

ghostinmyshell posted:

This is the only thing I've seen about any external drive space. Have you seen something different?

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/497423/Nintendo+Switchs+storage+could+be+expanded+with+USB+drives/

Also, :lol: at USB 2.0.

Introducing Wireless connectivity. Now supporting 802.11b.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/ Scroll to the bottom of the page though.

quote:

The paid online service will be available in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only at launch.
What the gently caress does this mean in the context of everything else on this page and outside those countries?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fishing with the fam posted:

I'm surprised by the negative reaction I am reading here. This is the first Nintendo console I have considered buying since the Gamecube. I'll probably pick one up a couple months after launch because gently caress EVER buying a console at launch.

you weren't burned by the Wii U

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I'm at work right now so I can't watch the treehouse. Is the Switch going to be all digital?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Kashuno posted:

I'm surprised people are disappointed from that event. It's Nintendo and if you were expecting more than a Nintendo thing then I'm sorry

If you didn't like the Wii U, they really haven't given a reason for outsiders to jump on board since they just refined the concept.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TaurusOxford posted:

We don't even have a release date yet.

Why are they releasing this thing when they have so few games with release dates?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ethanol posted:

So they made a tablet?

halwain
May 31, 2011
They have never said or showed us that the tablet works without the dock, its also tiny and the dumbest complaint if read so far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are a few people who are really pissed off about some specific hardware things that really bother them but I dunno, I'm pretty stoked. :shrug:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ethanol posted:

Totally, except for the part where they didn't.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ethanol posted:

What console is this post about? It can't be the switch.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kashuno posted:

I'm surprised people are disappointed from that event. It's Nintendo and if you were expecting more than a Nintendo thing then I'm sorry

It would be nice if Nintendo could finally make an online presence that wasn't a total laughing stock but I guess that really is asking for too much.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Oh I am sure at some point those that do not have a Wii U and want to play a Zelda and Mario game will grab one on a sale for $149. For me, I want to play the new Zelda, and have a Wii U with a pro controller. So I'll just buy the game on that and maybe consider it in 2018 as a gimmick gift for myself. Nintendo killed themselves with pricing and functionality no one gives a poo poo about with poor hardware and just poorly designed controllers and this whacky way they think people are going to get together in a room and play a 2/4 person coop game on a couch looking at a 7 inch screen on a coffee table. I mean, come on.

Then they go and show a game that may be fun (ARMS) and have yet to talk about when it's online functionality will even be in the game (Unless I did that today and missed it) with VERY limited content - which will still no doubt sell for $59.99.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 13, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ethanol posted:

I mean, I guess if your definition of "work" is "I can hook it up to a TV and store lots of downloaded games" then sure? But if your definition of "work" is closer to "I can play my games in tablet mode" then no, it doesn't need those things to work.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey it's 2017 and we know lobbies, voice, friends lists, and all of that have been standard since 2005 but we can't really put that on our console so download this Smart device app instead and also pay us a monthly fee

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

ethanol posted:

No it doesn't you silly billy.

It doesn't run the latest and greatest AAA games, but who wants to play Ubisoft sandbox games anyway.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why are they releasing this thing when they have so few games with release dates?

It's Nintendo

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
So can you just pop an SD card in there and use that for expanded storage

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It should be fairly simple to port titles like Captain Toad, right? I'm trying to think back to whether it uses any WiiU specific functionality.

Then again I think the only wiiu specific functionality is "display stuff on a tablet" which the Switch should be able to do :P

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Asema posted:

Hey it's 2017 and we know lobbies, voice, friends lists, and all of that have been standard since 2005 but we can't really put that on our console so download this Smart device app instead and also pay us a monthly fee

Is it said anywhere that it isn't on console???

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow people really like the PS+/Xbox Gold "free" games they get a month! That's cool.

We are going to do the same thing but it'll be the SNES/NES games and also only be one of them and also you only technically rent it for the month

Nintendo are loving pioneers.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Asema posted:

you weren't burned by the Wii U

And thank gently caress for that. That thing looked like a turd since inception.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Monkey Fracas posted:

So can you just pop an SD card in there and use that for expanded storage

just, up to 128 unless that's changed.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kashuno posted:

Is it said anywhere that it isn't on console???

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

quote:

Online lobby and voice chat
Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

edit; "A FREE LIMITED VERSION" HOLLLLLLYY poo poo loving LMAO and isn't even out at launch.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Looks like the cases are going to be about PSP-game sized.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

just, up to 128 unless that's changed.

Well they just put a 256GB one in so I guess that's changed.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Guy Goodbody posted:

Desperation? That's all I can think of.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Tiny tiny carts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Rexroom posted:

No it doesn't you silly billy.

It doesn't run the latest and greatest AAA games, but who wants to play Ubisoft sandbox games anyway.

The ubisoft snowbox sports game is on the system though

• Locked thread