Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Launching with Zelda, MK8 Deluxe the following month, Splatoon 2 in the Summer, and a brand new 3D Mario hearkening back to 64 and Sunshine for the Holidays, along with ARMS, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Xenoblade 2 coming soon. And that's not even mentioning all the third party stuff like Skyrim, Disgaea 5, Bomberman, Sonic Mania (which I'm extremely happy about), new Shin Megami Tensei, Shovel Knight, Ultra Street Fighter II, and Yooka-Laylee, among other games

I'm earnestly excited for all of this and think this is gonna be a great year for Nintendo. It's fine if you don't think otherwise but you could at least not be a buzzkill and try to ruin people's enjoyment and anticipation

The problem is a lot of what you stated wasn't even shown or talked about in the presentation, and a lot of good stuff was held back to show us 1, 2 Switch and their dumb haptic feedback. Rather than spend that time telling us about the new Mario Kart we got some throw away game and small clips of other games that looked decent.

I'm not talking about the console itself, which I don't think has much promise, I'm just talking about the presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

VideoGames posted:

The switch is a console because after you buy one people will console you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Yeah, see, I don't understand why they're releasing good games like ARMS, Splatoon 2, and Super Bomberman R. It looks terrible.

While Splatoon 2 looks great, it's not coming out at launch, and I don't think ARMS is either. It's looking like the only new games that the Switch will launch with are Zelda, Super Bomberman R, and Has-Been Heroes (that's new, right?).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I doubt Xenoblade makes 2017 in any region. Probably will get delayed until Winter of 18.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

And there it is folks.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Pureauthor posted:

Not to dampen your enthusiasm too much but at least 1 of those games you listed (most likely 3) will most definitely not be releasing this year.

Oh I know for sure Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem Warriors aren't, but a lot of other games I listed most likely are

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

only in this thread

most people are easily excitable morons. I trust the cynical jerks in this forum way more than anyone else

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Nintendo has been "doomed" since they started making consoles. The Famicom was risky af to release outside of Japan after the videogame crash but they did just fine :shrug:

That said the Switch definitely needs to perform to keep Nintendo in the hardware market. I think it will.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Louisgod posted:

Yeah if you can't read

It's completely 100% obtuse. It states right in the sentence you get to play the game for a month. It says nothing about having a month to download and keeping it forever.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ethanol posted:

Should i use he number of people itt who currently have two preordered switches?

One near work in case I work that day, one near home in case I don't, Walmart in case they're available at midnight :smuggo:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Nintendo has been "doomed" since they started making consoles. The Famicom was risky af to release outside of Japan after the videogame crash but they did just fine :shrug:

That said the Switch definitely needs to perform to keep Nintendo in the hardware market. I think it will.

It needed to be at $250

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

While Splatoon 2 looks great, it's not coming out at launch, and I don't think ARMS is either. It's looking like the only new games that the Switch will launch with are Zelda, Super Bomberman R, and Has-Been Heroes (that's new, right?).

To its credit, I want all 3 of those games.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love Nintendo but if you're gonna spend so much time talking about 1-2 Switch you better include that gimmicky poo poo as a pack in. Looks like it could've been the Switch Sports but if it's not a pack in forget it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Welp, preordered a switch + joycon set on amazon.de. I'm really glad I'm an adult with a real job these days.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

It needed to be at $250

I'll admit I went from gently caress YEAH AMAZING to "Okay yeah this is good I'll still pick it up" when the price was announced. $300 with 1-2 Switch would've been perfect imo.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Cicero posted:

Welp, preordered a switch + joycon set on amazon.de. I'm really glad I'm an adult with a real job these days.

Used my alternate identity and credit cards to purchase this so my wife doesn't find out. The freedom of adulthood feels great

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Pre-ordered on Target. Hope I can get it on Amazon at some point within the next 49 days (49 DAYS!!!) and just cancel it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm not in love with the thing and I ordered one too because I skipped the Wii U. And $300 is still close enough to what they're asking for a Wii U.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Used my alternate identity and credit cards to purchase this so my wife doesn't find out. The freedom of adulthood feels great

Marriage sounds loving terrible... glad I chose to live sad and alone

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the major disconnect is that apparently looking at red flags and glaring issues that the console has is apparently immediately gas lighted as "Nintendo is DOOMED!" talk which is loving stupid.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got the one with neon blue and red joycons because I am a babyman who likes colors :3:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Saw the Super Mario Odyssey trailer. Seeing Mario run around in a realistic city is a surreal experience. The other levels look gorgeous though. Also, lol at the hat throw. I am happy we are getting another Mario 64/Galaxy style game.

While I'm probably not going to buy a Switch on launch since I always wait on new console releases will definitely be picking one up for that game when it launches. Plus, I need to see this mysterious new console in action before I considering dumping money into one. In the meantime I'll be happily snapping up Wii U games for cheap.

Is Nintendo doomed with the new console? The is answer is they've always been doomed since the N64. Alienating 3rd party developers and making weird consoles is hurting them in the long run, but I don't buy Nintendo consoles to play AAA games, that's what my PC is for. I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games.

Looking forward to throwing Mario's hat around all the wacky worlds he'll be visiting Holiday 2017.

Everyone plays nintendo consoles for nintendo games. so why keep making these weird unpowered consoles whose gimmick everyone ignores after a year instead of making games for other consoles and save their fans all this unpleasantness

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wonder if their business model will let then walk back paid online. I can't see people paying a monthly sub for Nintendo online and Splatoon will die without a solid base. Lol if they stumbled into their most successful new IP in ages and kill it immediately.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Utnayan posted:

It's completely 100% obtuse. It states right in the sentence you get to play the game for a month. It says nothing about having a month to download and keeping it forever.

which by the way is the verbiage used by sony/microsoft (month to download and keep playing while PS+ member for sony, month to download and have forever for XBG)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Asema posted:

I think the major disconnect is that apparently looking at red flags and glaring issues that the console has is apparently immediately gas lighted as "Nintendo is DOOMED!" talk which is loving stupid.

Like half of this thread is people talking about the not-that-great things about the switch so I'm not sure what thread you are reading.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

babypolis posted:

Everyone plays nintendo consoles for nintendo games. so why keep making these weird unpowered consoles whose gimmick everyone ignores after a year instead of making games for other consoles and save their fans all this unpleasantness

The gimmick actually seems pretty useful this time though imo.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Asema posted:

I think it goes both ways. There is a lot of "Nintendo is Doomed" based on completely weird things the console doesn't have, but there is also some the other way.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Andrast posted:

Like half of this thread is people talking about the not-that-great things about the switch so I'm not sure what thread you are reading.

the thread with Phone coming in on a moral high horse about their SNES christmas days

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

babypolis posted:

Because looking at Sega makes everyone feel sad.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
i bought a wii u deluxe on launch which was a huge mistake but my friends and i got a lot of fun use out of nintendoland. i also got a wii at launch and we had a good time with wii sports.

i imagine the same would've happened with 1-2 switch but they're not making it a pack in so :laffo: if you think this thing sells more than 20,000 copies. no one is gonna buy it.

i want the switch to succeed but given how bad it seems they're botching this, i really don't think it will. by 2020 nintendo's gonna be making stuff for sony and microsoft.

Asema posted:

they...kinda are though? they haven't had a successful console launch since 2006. they can't fall back on the portable market because now the switch is the portable market. if they have another wii u launch there's no way their investors will keep letting them make consoles only to see a bunch of money be lit on fire. the switch has to succeed or the nintendo of 1986-present will be dead.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Asema posted:

the thread with Phone coming in on a moral high horse about their SNES christmas days

Some posters post dumb poo poo, news at 11

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kashuno posted:

I think it goes both ways. There is a lot of "Nintendo is Doomed" based on completely weird things the console doesn't have, but there is also some the other way.

I mean I'm pissed about all the Red flags and I wanted to preorder and be excited for it but I'm probably moved firmly into "maybe 2019/2020" camp so I can get my Nintendo fix at a much cheaper price*

*probably buying from a friend or craigslist because gently caress if Nintendo games ever drop in price

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Andrast posted:

Aw come on. Let him feel like he is putting down some nerds.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the japanese speakers said the monthly game only being playable for a month was not inconclusive

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

I wonder if their business model will let then walk back paid online. I can't see people paying a monthly sub for Nintendo online and Splatoon will die without a solid base. Lol if they stumbled into their most successful new IP in ages and kill it immediately.

This is a fair concern though. Splatoon made dumb bank off of being a free online game once purchased. That said if they actually launch a good online service (lmao) it'll be fine.

I will buy it anyway because Splatoon is extremely my poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

To its credit, I want all 3 of those games.

I don't know much about Has-Been Heroes but I like tactical RPGs. And I'm always down for more Bomberman.

Oh, and I forgot 1 2 Switch as a launch game but I'm really not sure I can bring myself to care that much about it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

babypolis posted:

It looks like with the Wii U they went hard after traditional gamers and it bombed so now they are going back to the motion well.

I admit I don't need the joycon stuff at all but it's super interesting to me how it seems like a natural evolution of the wiimote. It's like a peek into an alternate dimension where they didnt take a six year hiatus from motion after Wii Sports Resort and Skyward Sword.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

I doubt Xenoblade makes 2017 in any region. Probably will get delayed until Winter of 18.

XC2 has a shot of making Holiday 2017 in Japan: XCX was finished in 2014. Three years is a good stretch of time for this.

You're right that there's no way in gently caress it leaves Japan in 2017, though.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Asema posted:

which by the way is the verbiage used by sony/microsoft (month to download and keep playing while PS+ member for sony, month to download and have forever for XBG)

The original Japanese is fairly clear about them cycling through each month and not given to your account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
finally, a feature only nintendo has that's actually good

• Locked thread