Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

OhFunny posted:

It's great to read this stuff about people taking over their local parties.

I feel kinda demoralized though. Whoever Dems run in my town get blown outta the water. They haven't even been to field a full slate since 2008. I'm unsure what to do.

Obviously, get on the ballot and don't get blown out of the water. For the smaller positions, simply being a regular presents volunteering at the local retirement homes/veterans socieities/food pantries will often be enough to get you a seat, going by what I know of local politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Here's more details, don't despair!

"I am a clueless loser who needs specific walkthrough" questions: so what's the best way to go/thing(s) to do if I can be over there after the lunch break but not before?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ZeeToo posted:

"I am a clueless loser who needs specific walkthrough" questions: so what's the best way to go/thing(s) to do if I can be over there after the lunch break but not before?

I would guess that it depends on how many people show up early.

I'll try to find out for you what the deal is, I would imagine that more people will be there for the later portion, so don't give up.

There's also a Keith Ellison event on Friday night
http://act.democracyforamerica.com/sign/ellison-phoenix

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just talked to a volunteer. They're asking people to show up at 1, or earlier if possible.

I would RSVP and show up when you can.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Went to my DTC meeting tonight. It was hella inspiring

I am CHARGED right now. Gonna make poo poo happen.

Apparently they were limping along on 3 members before this election - but tonight they had over 20 people come. They had our rep come to speak from the Governor's Council and they were incredible. Really helped sink in just how poo poo our state has been in the past, and also remind me how much one person can do to make things better (and how much more we can do working together)

I'm gonna do a full write up soon if people want it, but it was just... awesome, really. There's just a ton of enthusiasm and so much potential and they are just searching for direction and if there's one thing I can do it's help provide some direction.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

There are two rallies in LA: one with Kamala Harris and another from the California nurses' union. Which one should I go to?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I'd say nurses union. Side with the proletariat over the politician.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

OAquinas posted:

The key to turning over a local area is finding relevant, local issues and pressing them. (garbage dump? local lake polluted? no play areas for kids? walmart blighted commercial district?) Once people start buying into the platform, then more get involved and you get more candidates for local/state offices.

But its hard to get that ball rolling. Damned hard. Do you have any nearby counties that aren't dead zones for Dems? Reaching out to them or the state party may get some resources diverted to help.

If you live in a red hellscape though...welp. The good news is that it's probably been screwed up tremendously in some garish fashion, so you can find leverage issues easier. The bad news is that you'll have to crowdsource or self-support. Maybe get in touch with DSA if there are any likeminded folks?

On that last point I enrolled as a dues paying member of the DSA today.

Hunted down the NH DSA Facebook page and saw an update that their recognition was stalled due to not enough people who signed up actually paying dues.

Got in touch with them. Might have just saved the day.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

For anyone in MA that wants the mailing list for the state democratic committee to get informed of events and stuff? I dunno.

DDemDispatch-owner@yahoogroups.com

Email them with subject line SUBSCRIBE and that should sign you up.

Also, see this:
https://malegislature.gov/StateHouse/EducationalOpportunities/CitizensLegislativeSeminar

The government throws what is basically a "legislator training event" every year. If you're considering running for office yourself, might be worth going.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

If you are in TX and need help contacting DSA or finding meeting locations or anything feel free to PM me and I can get you whatever info you need. I don't know anything about helping democrats so don't ask me about that but it looks like everyone is talking DSA in here too.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

So uh I noticed the WA state senate has an empty seat and is currently tied R/D so whoever gets that seat would be the decider. Anyone in WA wanna check in on the status of that?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

So uh I noticed the WA state senate has an empty seat and is currently tied R/D so whoever gets that seat would be the decider. Anyone in WA wanna check in on the status of that?

Yeah there's a special election this year in Kirkland because their R representative died, and the district is a lean R suburb of Seattle so it's definitely flippable with the right organization and turnout. IIRC there's also another special election in Pierce County because an R representative is vacating their seat, so there are two chances this year for Dems to take full control of the WA state government.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
tragically serious post I'm prob gonna be living abroad for a bit for work and (a) is there literally anything I can do participation wise while living abroad and (b) what determines my voting residence? Last place I lived?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I'm being told about the DSA's Slack platform. Is anyone on this? Is it useful?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

OhFunny posted:

I'm being told about the DSA's Slack platform. Is anyone on this? Is it useful?

I'm on it, it's 3 parts shitposting to 1 part serious strategy discussion. It has some issues - it's a free account so we can only keep 10K messages in the archive at a time, after that they drop off, so there's a limit to how far back we can search on it. We're looking in to superior options now, but it's an ongoing project.

RiotGearEpsilon has issued a correction as of 03:50 on Jan 14, 2017

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I'm on it, it's 3 parts shitposting to 1 part serious strategy discussion

there is a #memes channel!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Slack just sounds like a less convenient version of Discord

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

HorseRenoir posted:

Slack just sounds like a less convenient version of Discord

So, join and propose to the channel the idea of starting a committee to look into endorsing discord, present your reasoning, have people vote on it, and then schedule a time for a working group to meet to discuss the action, and then present that plan to the wider membership.

How is this so hard...?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

unbutthurtable posted:

So, join and propose to the channel the idea of starting a committee to look into endorsing discord, present your reasoning, have people vote on it, and then schedule a time for a working group to meet to discuss the action, and then present that plan to the wider membership.

How is this so hard...?
taking a stand is a difficult thing for people too acclimated to the democratic party, give it a few days

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I'm an admin of the NH DSA Facebook now.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

OhFunny posted:

I'm an admin of the NH DSA Facebook now.

Arent you literally the NH DSA?

also what are you dsa folk actually planning to do in terms of pushing meaningful change?

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Jan 14, 2017

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Personally? Weekly phone calls and scheduling quarterly one on one meetings with my state reps about my chosen hobby-horse (single payer healthcare).

As a chapter? Local work on a measure (Q) that outlawed tent sleeping. Being witnesses and reporters when tent cities etc are torn down, volunteering w/ the tenderloin homeless org, participating in the annual homeless count. When steam gets built on the effort to repeal Q we'll be in on that as the a supporting org. We endorsed slates for the ADEMs last week and had DSA members elected in 2 of the 3 districts we targeted. We had members at Standing Rock and have sent care packages and $$$.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Arent you literally the NH DSA?

also what are you dsa folk actually planning to do in terms of pushing meaningful change?

There's dozens of us! (on facebook)

I'd like to get more people organizing in opposition to the "right-to-work" bill that's being pushed here in NH.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is there a better term for those than "anti-worker" or "anti-union" thats catchy? loving "right to work" is as bald faced a lie as "clean air act"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

bump_fn posted:

is there a better term for those than "anti-worker" or "anti-union" thats catchy? loving "right to work" is as bald faced a lie as "clean air act"

I like the sound of "work-for-less".

edit: Some union workers at the NH state house call it "right-to-freeload"

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Been lurking this thread since it got made, ended up getting a contact within the local Democratic Party purely by accident but attended an end of the year potluck and another meeting last week, and that meeting mostly focused on setting the table for precinct chairs, organizing, and some other stuff. It was very exciting.

So it's a long shot, but if there's any other goons who are lurking and thinking about jumping in who live in Wilmington NC, the New Hanover Democratic Party is holding a precinct officer training meeting but anyone who's interested is welcome to join. So hopefully there's another one or several of you out there!

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Got near unanimously appointed to the rules committee for my district in advance of the February convention! Michigan has so far been very good about trying to give progressives of all stripes a seat at the table after the election. I'll also be part of the unity slate for State Central in February, so hopefully I'll be able to actually get some work done if I win! Michigan goons jump in, there's work to do and most places are glad to have us!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This DNC forum is pretty neat.

Anyone else here?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

bump_fn posted:

"right to be enslaved"
"right to be unpaid"
"right to minimum wage"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This Pete Buttigieg guy seems ok. Unfortunate name.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

bump_fn posted:

I think calling it pro freeloader legislation is simultaneously the most damning and accurate description I have heard. Nothing the honest working man hates than a feeloader that is capable of but unwilling to contribute to the common good

I need ideas of what my local DTC should be doing as well, they very much seem to be looking for a purpose and I am thinking maybe finding, educating and pushing promising progressive newbies could be it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bump_fn posted:

anti-family

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
firing people at-will means pregnant women get fired for just being pregnant, it means you can't take vacations to spend with your family, it means you have to work longer hours to avoid being fired. all of these things impact your family's well being. it means moms cant take of their newborns.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
That's a common conflation: Right to Work is an anti-Union measure (meaning you can't be barred from working or forced to pay union dues) and At-Will Employment is anti-worker, period.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

OAquinas posted:

That's a common conflation: Right to Work is an anti-Union measure (meaning you can't be barred from working or forced to pay union dues) and At-Will Employment is anti-worker, period.

oops, yeah you're right

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Right-to-be-fired maybe

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Grondoth posted:

I feel like I'm fuckin' up, but I haven't seen anything I can get involved with until like the 23rd of january out here in wny. There's a $500 per person dinner tonight, but I don't have 500 bucks to spend on that

I'm really heartened to see all these elections changing things, though. These local parties all need to be better!

After the candidate forum, I got to hang out with Jehmu and her team for a few hours. I told them about your experience and she wanted me to email it to her so she can try to incorporate it into her message

Would you email it to her so she can hear the story from the horse's mouth?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Sure, but there's not much to it. Post election there was a meeting for a town club I don't live in, a 50 dollar to come holiday party, some thing that wasn't announced anywhere but they had pictures of on their facebook, and that. There's not much of a story, just a dearth of things to go to. And with the thread being like "I'M NOW AN ELECTED DELEGATE" I felt like I wasn't trying hard enough.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

bump_fn posted:

tragically serious post I'm prob gonna be living abroad for a bit for work and (a) is there literally anything I can do participation wise while living abroad and (b) what determines my voting residence? Last place I lived?

yeah same here, ive been abroad since august and will be for the foreseeable future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sorry I still haven't done the writeup! It's coming tonight. Been super busy since the meeting, but luckily I took extensive notes to the extent someone asked me if I was a reporter.

Anywho, I was also wondering if you guys have any suggestions on good books for organizing, or about democratic history, or anything like that? I've been thinking about putting together a good reading list/lending library for the local group.

• Locked thread