Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Nowadays my Japanese is nearly non-existent since the Chinese pretty much kicked it all out of my brain. But I studied for about two years and learned all the grammar up to maybe N2 or whatever their rating system is?

ntan1 posted:

I'm Taiwanese American and I will tell you that Chinese has no grammar and is ez.

tbh we say this mostly to make fun of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Atlas Hugged posted:

Nothing makes me sadder than going for a jog around the little pond in my condomunity and seeing grandma smoking into the stroller while feeding the infant a bottle of water. Please, don't do any of that. I do not understand the pan-Asian obsession with feeding infants water (I've seen this in multiple countries and parents of multiple nationalities engage in this behavior).

I was on a plane with my boy who was about 6 months old at the time and he was as big or bigger than a kid that was 1 year old and any time the kid got fussy on the flight the nanny stuck a bottle of water in his mouth. Infants don't need water. They need milk. They don't need cigarette smoke either! Christ. As an aside, the mom of that kid was up in first class and would on occasion take the boy up to her, but then he'd cry and it was right back off to nanny.

If you don't, then there's not enough street pissing.

Otoh, chinese formula. Well, maybe better feed the kid something potentially less deadly.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Btw, let's have some NK stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhmzpMP3bEE

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

Chinese children will not drink milk out of a bottle unless the nipple has inch long hairs jutting out all around it.

rofl

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nickmeister posted:

Nowadays my Japanese is nearly non-existent since the Chinese pretty much kicked it all out of my brain.

this is one of the worst things I could ever think of happening. Seriously, I'm so sorry

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

JaucheCharly posted:

If you don't, then there's not enough street pissing.

Otoh, chinese formula. Well, maybe better feed the kid something potentially less deadly.

Nah the formula here is fine. I wouldn't subject my kid to the mainland.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The Great Autismo! posted:

this is one of the worst things I could ever think of happening. Seriously, I'm so sorry

well, it's a lot louder

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

they are so busy competing with everyone that they lose out on the most important things.

wisdom

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Atlas Hugged posted:

Nah the formula here is fine. I wouldn't subject my kid to the mainland.

Oh sry, forgot that you talk about Taiwan. I'd be scared of mainland seeping in.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

JaucheCharly posted:

Oh sry, forgot that you talk about Taiwan. I'd be scared of mainland seeping in.

Bangkok represent.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
An Austrian village has had to post bouncers at the church doors to keep Chinese tour groups from disrupting funerals with self sticks...

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-38611900

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Ah, sweet Heimat.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biZlMd66MDY

He Who Smelt It
Jun 14, 2012

ladron posted:

All languages with even a SMIDGEN of chinese also have counting nouns, which is insane. korean, thai, (iircc) japanese, etc.

To be fair so does English, at least for groups of objects. E.g. a murder of crows, a gaggle of geese etc.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

winnydpu posted:

An Austrian village has had to post bouncers at the church doors to keep Chinese tour groups from disrupting funerals with self sticks...

HALLO

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i hope they went to see hitler's birthplace

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

winnydpu posted:

If you wanted to keep mainlanders out of any area, all you'd have to do is put up a sign that says " 葬礼 " (funeral) and nobody would go near it. Chinese people really, really like to avoid funerals, and any other instance where they might encounter ghosts.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i hope they went to see hitler's birthplace

Now I want to see what a Chinese tour group does at the Ann Frank house. . . :stare:

Blistex fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 13, 2017

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
chinese guests REFUSE to go on the haunted mansion ride

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Blistex posted:

If you wanted to keep mainlanders out of any area, all you'd have to do is put up a sign that says " 葬礼 " (funeral) and nobody would go near it. Chinese people really, really like to avoid funerals, and any other instance where they might encounter ghosts.

Now I want to see what a Chinese tour group does at the Ann Frank house. . . :stare:

I want to see how fast the whole popularity of Hallstatt declines once somebody spreads the rumor that it's haunted by the ghosts of salt miners from the ironage. Bearded ghosts with torcs, barechested with glowing blue eyes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
would you be able to get a sick apartment cheap if you murdered the occupants a couple of times?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

would you be able to get a sick apartment cheap if you murdered the occupants a couple of times?

Asia actually has major issues relating to this. Any apartment or house that is not new might have ghosts so very few people will be interested in it. However this doesn't mean the owners decide they should knock the price down at all and still keep ludicrous prices in place and in the case of Japan (and Korea I think?) even for rentals you have to give the landlord an effective bribe known as key money to even get in which can be six months rent. Places will go vacant for years rather than anyone compromise.

What eventually breaks the dam is either a buyer shows up whose lust to own property is so irrational they will pay what is asked or some deal involving friends or tit for tat involving a business, in either case this keeps future deals just as stilted.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 13, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Sheep-Goats posted:

Asia actually has major issues relating to this. Any apartment or house that is not new might have ghosts so very few people will be interested in it. However this doesn't mean the owners decide they should knock the price down at all and still keep ludicrous prices in place and in the case of Japan (and Korea I think?) even for rentals you have to give the landlord an effective bribe known as key money to even get in which can be six months rent. Places will go vacant for years rather than anyone compromise.

Are people just as likely to not pay rent when they're leaving out of spite?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Couldn't you out Chinese the landlord on sales price/rent?

Do u know China has longest continuous history? Many ghost must live in old house unless u think China history is too short for ghost.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Your internet is disturbing my home's Feng Shui

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

Are people just as likely to not pay rent when they're leaving out of spite?

I'm not sure about that. There are other things that prevent that -- loss of face being one, the likelihood that the landlord would just throw all your poo poo out in the street and the courts and the cops wouldn't give a poo poo being another. But it seems possible, yeah.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Omg, the ears of the girl in the 2nd video. She must have suffered terribly in school

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sheep-Goats posted:

What eventually breaks the dam is either a buyer shows up whose lust to own property is so irrational they will pay what is asked or some deal involving friends or tit for tat involving a business, in either case this keeps future deals just as stilted.

i was just thinking about that hong kong real estate website that had cheaper properties where someone had died

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Key money is some ridiculous bullshit.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

He Who Smelt It posted:

To be fair so does English, at least for groups of objects. E.g. a murder of crows, a gaggle of geese etc.

yeah, because I'm always ordering 5 prides of lions and 3 sinisters of ravens in my everyday interactions, which is what it completing your analogy implies

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

JaucheCharly posted:

Omg, the ears of the girl in the 2nd video. She must have suffered terribly in school

Big ears are like crooked teeth, make you look younger and cuter. (apparently)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

Nor does homosexuality exist in Japan it is a western import please ignore these medieval woodcuts of effeminate samurai fuckboys

It's just a phase schoolgirls go through, pay it no mind.

staberind posted:

to be fair, its adventurous, I did the same thing at about 20, but actually learned Japanese.

:same: at 16, but it was a school thing.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 13, 2017

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Blistex posted:

Big ears are like crooked teeth, make you look younger and cuter. (apparently)

My cuteness confirmed. Thx. I also have moles. Guess rich people will pay crazy money to lick them, like in that Murakami novel.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

JaucheCharly posted:

My cuteness confirmed. Thx. I also have moles. Guess rich people will pay crazy money to lick them, like in that Murakami novel.

it's a sumo culture, they pay by the pound over there

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Imperialist Dog posted:

Please tell us you're exaggerating. Or something.

Haha no. This was the common attitude among the immigrant Chinese families I knew and among my classmates/friends. Hell, my parents were less strict in that they eventually accepted me going to a decently prestigious (we get good readings since we have a bunch of Nobel prize winners) state school when I got a full scholarship. Well Tbf at least my mom didn't care about prestige as much if it involved me becoming Doctor. I learned this when she applied to the direct med program at U of Washington for me! That was an interesting "thanks for your application" email.

Incase this is too much parental bitching, I wanted to say this obsession with college prestige and becoming a doctor is like the norm amongst Chinese/maybe Asian in general immigrant families and definitely is linked to cultural shennagins regarding face from China

Arbitrary Coin fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 14, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

i was just thinking about that hong kong real estate website that had cheaper properties where someone had died

Hong Kong is definitely Asia but also kinda not really.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
"Real Estate is a good investment because it never decreases in value" was a common belief I encountered in Korea and Taiwan. That's one of those things that will eventually be proven wrong, but it won't be pretty when it is.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Atlas Hugged posted:

"Real Estate is a good investment because it never decreases in value" was a common belief I encountered in Korea and Taiwan. That's one of those things that will eventually be proven wrong, but it won't be pretty when it is.

Sorry, but this time it's different. I know that has been said in thousands of bubbles throughout the history of humanity, but this time it's actually different because *reasons* so buy now or be forever priced out.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

This is really good and I love that it's not just them ragging on North Korea but actually bringing up a few things they thought were really good about NK

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Baronjutter posted:

Sorry, but this time it's different. I know that has been said in thousands of bubbles throughout the history of humanity, but this time it's actually different because *reasons* so buy now or be forever priced out.

Might literally be true for Vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Real Estate is a pretty safe place to park money, not really for money making purposes but so you have an actual usable asset even if the stock market takes a poo poo. As long as people don't buy property expecting it to be worth 10x as much in 10 years it's likely that 20-30 years down the line they'll see some semblance of a profit if they sell.

• Locked thread