Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Derek hasn't written about a bunch of 12 year olds having a gangbang so they could beat a clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad dzunner took a step back so he could take a step back.

Not sure what that shitizen is going on about with considering how hard it would be to make Star Citizen. The Crobbler is doing an excellent job of showing just how difficult it could be. Hell, most people would have done better by now simply by virtue of not being convinced they were God's gift to the world and knowing to listen when people try to explain how videogames work.

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 13, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

XK posted:

You've got to take it in context. And, yes, Stephen King is also an author of some other poo poo, ie 90% of his work.

If we are going to start talking about poo poo work, then we have to bring up that Dean Koontz fucker.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

That hurts man.

'IT' terrified me, mainly because I used to bike/walk to a job in the next village and the drains would gurgle. Couple that with English fog and a teenage imagination and you get glutes of steel from the fast walk. 'Christine' was a seminal work of characterisation, making the evil somehow familiar and homely, and tapping into that feeling you get when you lose your friends to a girl. 'The Shining' was creeping horror and the subversion of hopes and dreams.

'Tommyknockers' explored the theme of being such a fuckup that the only place you really belong has become the most alien place you could be (literally), and the cognitive dissonance of watching someone you care about fall apart. 'Insomnia' was nicked, IMO. 'Gerald's Game' introduced a generation of BDSM players to plastic snaps and safety shears in accessible places.

'Misery' is a masterwork of creeping terror actually made better by the movie, IMO.

In short, I loving love a good Stephen King novel, but the Dark Tower series made me want to punch a pug in it's adorable little face. I mean a loving pug, man.

XK posted:

Derek hasn't written about a bunch of 12 year olds having a gangbang so they could beat a clown.

Spoiler that poo poo. Also it's less skeevy when you're twelve.

DapperDon posted:

If we are going to start talking about poo poo work, then we have to bring up that Dean Koontz fucker.

Nope, no argument from me. Shaun Hutson should get a mention, mainly because he gave us Garth Merenghi.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DapperDon posted:

Yeah! Keep making GBS threads on Dean Koontz, that'll make King a better writer!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Yeah! Keep making GBS threads on Dean Koontz, that'll make King a better writer!

It works for the Shitizens.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nice

e: upgraded the filename.

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 13, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hav posted:

Nope, no argument from me. Shaun Hutson should get a mention, mainly because he gave us Garth Merenghi.
Ah, one of the few people who've written more books than they've read.

He swears it's not based on him by the way. Not that he's watched it. But it's definitely not him. And he doesn't care anyway.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/819984377081892864

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Old news Derek. Is this how your book will read? 768 pages of "This is how we I got there?"

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

how does lethality have like 4.5k followers yet his tweets usually only get 1 like or whatever? is it all you guys and a bunch of bots

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Old news Derek. Is this how your book will read? 768 pages of "This is how we I got there?"

A 1/3 of it is reverencing the same blog post.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

Ah, one of the few people who've written more books than they've read.

He swears it's not based on him by the way. Not that he's watched it. But it's definitely not him. And he doesn't care anyway.

I spent a family holiday in the south of France in a caravan, which tends to render the day between 1pm and 4pm a dead loss of heat. One of the few books we had was 'Erebus', by Mr Hutson. Truly an awful book, but an eleven year old me could probably recite the dodgy sex scene in the middle off by heart.

Garth Merenghi

Shaun Hutson

phosdex posted:

how does lethality have like 4.5k followers yet his tweets usually only get 1 like or whatever? is it all you guys and a bunch of bots

http://www.buycheapfollowersfast.com/twitter/

Spot prices change all the time, but this is one of the reasons the news are loving idiots using Twitter as a primary source.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

heh nah man. I've always maintained that I was after 4 simple things. I even paid an attorney to put it in a legal letter so that we could refer to it "on the record" if legal hostilities broke out at some point down the road

1) an apology for that poo poo they pulled back in July 2015 after my first blog

this will never happen; I know. but hey, I am a man of principles. which is why I haven't even mentioned all his defamatory conduct in his Oct 2015 missive

2) refund to backers who ask for it

they didn't do this until someone shoved the State officials into their face, proving - as I had been claiming - that backers were entitled to refunds. then of course the numerous complaints to the Feds

3) a near accurate timeline for the project so that backers know when to expect it, seeing as the Nov 14th date was blown

they didn't do this until the backer dissent following the anniversary stream. and they still blew it. but hey, at least they did it.

4) a full financial accounting for the project

they haven't - and won't do it. but that's up to backers, as well as State and Fed officials during the aftermath of what's coming

I have also made it clear for months now that my sole goal at this point is vindication. nothing more, nothing less. I knew - from that first blog in July 2015 - that I was right about the project. And as such, it was a hill that I was prepared to die on; even at the detriment of my own project (which I knew they were going to attack in retaliation - and they did) and reputation (<--- which is hilarious since that sort of social construct never fazed me one bit).

So I'm going to ride this train right off the tracks. It's the only way to be sure. And from what I'm hearing, it's going to be one helluva ride these coming months.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 13, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

phosdex posted:

Because most of them are bots - and paid followers. I checked.

Note that he used to shill for a media site as well. Back when he was still on his meds.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

phosdex posted:

CIG gets like 100 views on their youtube videos. A large chunk of that appear to be goons from this thread fishing for comedy :laffo:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Truga posted:

CIG gets like 100 views on their youtube videos. A large chunk of that appear to be goons from this thread fishing for comedy :laffo:

one of my prouder moments was when i realized that TheLastRoboKy and i get more views on our loving let's plays than CIG does on their....well, almost anything social media.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

heh nah man. I've always maintained that I was after 4 simple things. I even paid an attorney to put it in a legal letter so that we could refer to it "on the record" if legal hostilities broke out at some point down the road

1) an apology for that poo poo they pulled back in July 2015 after my first blog

this will never happen; I know. but hey, I am a man of principles. which is why I haven't even mentioned all his defamatory conduct in his Oct 2015 missive

2) refund to backers who ask for it

they didn't do this until someone shoved the State officials into their face, proving - as I had been claiming - that backers were entitled to refunds. then of course the numerous complaints to the Feds

3) a near accurate timeline for the project so that backers know when to expect it, seeing as the Nov 14th date was blown

they didn't do this until the backer dissent following the anniversary stream. and they still blew it. but hey, at least they did it.

4) a full financial accounting for the project

they haven't - and won't do it. but that's up to backers, as well as State and Fed officials during the aftermath of what's coming

I have also made it clear for months now that my sole goal at this point is vindication. nothing more, nothing less. I knew - from that first blog in July 2015 - that I was right about the project. And as such, it was a hill that I was prepared to die on; even at the detriment of my own project (which I knew they were going to attack in retaliation - and they did) and reputation (<--- which is hilarious since that sort of social construct never fazed me one bit).

So I'm going to ride this train right off the tracks. It's the only way to be sure. And from what I'm hearing, it's going to be one helluva ride these coming months.

You paid an attorney and got an unsigned letter? drat.

Derek: you are not ... owed .. a n y t h i n g. Zilch. Nada. CIG doesn't have to release poo poo. No accounting, no financials. Nothing.

Do me a favor ok? If you honestly, really REALLY feel that they violated the law, please go get an attorney, sue them for refunding you and not offering you an accounting. Or please file a complaint with FBI, or FTC, or whoever else you think will help. But this word-salad crusade you engage everyday is reallllllly old now dude.

You got your refund tossed back in your face. I can see how that made you mad. But it's in the past my friend.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

Derek: you are not ... owed .. a n y t h i n g. Zilch. Nada. CIG doesn't have to release poo poo. No accounting, no financials. Nothing.

Why did they promise it then?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sickening posted:

Why did they promise it then?

They did, and then they didn't. And you either agreed to this, or you didn't. Honestly? They got creative with the TOS and played around with delivery dates to suit themselves. So what. Don't like it? Get your money back and move on.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

They did, and then they didn't. And you either agreed to this, or you didn't. Honestly? They got creative with the TOS and played around with delivery dates to suit themselves. So what. Don't like it? Get your money back and move on.

iron clad TOS has now been downgraded to creative TOS.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ManofManyAliases posted:

CIG doesn't have poo poo

Well you said it.......

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Content locust.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Well you said it.......

Three years of Derek and gang complaining. Not one agency chose to do anything about it. Every single refund was approved by CIG (ultimately) and never once was it mandated or ordered by anyone outside of CIG. Oh well.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Three years of Derek and gang complaining.

Maths isn't your strong suit, is it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ManofManyAliases posted:

the whole part where they actually did promise something and then did not do something and then did things in the middle that may or may not have locked in promises by doing things that are outside of their normal purview of activity is where all of this gets really weird.

derek demands a lot of things and you say he can't demand a drat thing but nothing is terribly clear for a big slew of reasons. CIG force-refunding something without clear reason is very unorthodox. bad mouthing a former customer is very unorthodox. the ever-changing promises to the customers are very unorthodox. hell, this scale of crowdfunding is very unorthodox. simply getting your money back is ostensibly orthodox, but so much of the rest of this stuff is so hugely unorthodox that i'm not sure even that is reasonable. chris's behavior during this entire venture sheds a really awkward light on the promises made and their ultimate result.

i'm not going to go so far as to say that these demands are all Good and Cool and CIG Must Comply Immediately Or Face Judge Dredd, but the only thing that's very clear at least to me is that anyone who says they have a really high-level understanding of this situation from a rights/legal perspective is either a liar or an idiot.

e: there's also the case of the very occasional person who backed during the Kickstarter and then completely forgot about anything to do with their order. i'm one of those people; it was a pretty funny week for everyone when i logged into Kickstarter about 6 months ago and realized that i had apparently pledged $60 during the initial KS drive and completely blacked that out of my memory. the financial disclosure pledge ostensibly still applies to me because i never visited their website, logged in, or did anything to suggest that i read or agreed to their ToS changes (and, for the record, i still have done neither - i've got way bigger fish to fry and have never read the later versions of the TOS myself, let alone done anything that could be construed as agreeing to it). i still haven't received my accounting for what happened to the financials. do i deserve them? i'm not even clear on that at this point even.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 13, 2017

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

Do you consider promising to do something then not doing it "dishonest"? Particularly if the only reason you promised to do it was to encourage people to give you money?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Don't be daft. I posted the final draft I was sent before their office printed and sent it out - signed. Obviously Ortwin received it, or he won't have responded. Both of which I posted online. Joke's on you.

quote:

Do me a favor ok? If you honestly, really REALLY feel that they violated the law, please go get an attorney, sue them for refunding you and not offering you an accounting. Or please file a complaint with FBI, or FTC, or whoever else you think will help. But this word-salad crusade you engage everyday is reallllllly old now dude.

Nope. It's a hobby now. I'm semi-retired and have nothing but time on my hands.

Plus, after all the hate I've faced since July 2015, if you - or anyone - thinks I'm just going to give up now, then clearly you know nothing about me.

quote:

You got your refund tossed back in your face. I can see how that made you mad. But it's in the past my friend.

That's cute of you to distort the facts as they pertain to my motivation. Kinda like your cast iron ToS. If you think that made me "mad", they you're either in denial, or you're not paid enough to keep up.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Three years of Derek and gang complaining. Not one agency chose to do anything about it. Every single refund was approved by CIG (ultimately) and never once was it mandated or ordered by anyone outside of CIG. Oh well.

And yet....no game....makes ya think.......

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

Every single refund was approved by CIG (ultimately) and never once was it mandated or ordered by anyone outside of CIG. Oh well.

I enjoy the fact that you think CIG caving to mounting legal pressure before it actually becomes a court case is an argument for anything other than the fact that their legal team isn't *completely* braindead.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Three years of Derek and gang complaining.

I know math is hard, but I've only been "complaining" since July 2015.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
This is either the longest, most boring troll ever or MoMA is an idiot defending a broken dream on a gay dead comedy forum.

I'm conflicted.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

his nibs posted:

This is either the longest, most boring troll ever or MoMA is an idiot defending a broken dream on a gay dead comedy forum.

I'm conflicted.

Parpman's Razor:

The funniest explanation is usually the correct one.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Coolguye posted:

the whole part where they actually did promise something and then did not do something and then did things in the middle that may or may not have locked in promises by doing things that are outside of their normal purview of activity is where all of this gets really weird.

derek demands a lot of things and you say he can't demand a drat thing but nothing is terribly clear for a big slew of reasons. CIG force-refunding something without clear reason is very unorthodox. bad mouthing a former customer is very unorthodox. the ever-changing promises to the customers are very unorthodox. hell, this scale of crowdfunding is very unorthodox. simply getting your money back is ostensibly orthodox, but so much of the rest of this stuff is so hugely unorthodox that i'm not sure even that is reasonable. chris's behavior during this entire venture sheds a really awkward light on the promises made and their ultimate result.

i'm not going to go so far as to say that these demands are all Good and Cool and CIG Must Comply Immediately Or Face Judge Dredd, but the only thing that's very clear at least to me is that anyone who says they have a really high-level understanding of this situation from a rights/legal perspective is either a liar or an idiot.

e: there's also the case of the very occasional person who backed during the Kickstarter and then completely forgot about anything to do with their order. i'm one of those people; it was a pretty funny week for everyone when i logged into Kickstarter about 6 months ago and realized that i had apparently pledged $60 during the initial KS drive and completely blacked that out of my memory. the financial disclosure pledge ostensibly still applies to me because i never visited their website, logged in, or did anything to suggest that i read or agreed to their ToS changes (and, for the record, i still have done neither - i've got way bigger fish to fry and have never read the later versions of the TOS myself, let alone done anything that could be construed as agreeing to it). i still haven't received my accounting for what happened to the financials. do i deserve them? i'm not even clear on that at this point even.

:same:

FYI:

1) You are not subject to the lovely June 2016 ToS which stripped all those previous rights accorded to backers

2) You are entitled to a full refund if you ask

3) You are entitled to full accounting for the project. But you would have to sue them for that, as they won't provide it willingingly.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 13, 2017

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
Crossposting from the Awful Kickstarters thread in PYF:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/12/sf-district-attorney-lawsuit-against-lily-may-have-prompted-refund/
San Francisco District Attorney files lawsuit against drone maker Lily for false advertising

tl;dr drone kickstarter earned $34 million, runs out of money before shipping anything. SFDA opens lawsuit because they used fake pitch videos.

quote:

There’s also a slightly technical issue that forms a second front in the DA’s lawsuit: the fact that they went with an independent “pre-order” strategy rather than an established crowdfunded development site like Kickstarter. That makes Lily’s money qualify more on the side of internet sales than investment in an idea (something Kickstarter and its projects are always careful to explain), which exposed the company to certain consumer protection laws.

One, the FTC’s Mail Order Rule, required that, if a pre-ordered product is seriously delayed, the company must issue refunds unless customers indicate they don’t mind the wait. Lily certainly must qualify as having encountered long delays — from February 2016 to “later in 2017” — but refunds were not issued at large.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

First technical issue on this livestream about 10 seconds in

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

I feel like a company that does that promises open financials and then goes back on it does so because they are doing something with the money they don't feel like you would be happy with. Primary, what chris pays himself and others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

It looks like someone got new batteries in their dildo today.

Taxx.