Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Why are dogs so rich? Every time I kill dogs they just explode into fountains of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Part of the issue is that there isn't actually a universally defined measure of what is "best." Makaris's strategy may very well be best according to his own set of metrics, but what defines "best"? Is a safe no light strategy "better" than a safe full light strategy that beats the game in the same number of weeks? Ditto things like paying for stress reduction or not (another point of pride for Makaris.) For that matter, which is a more relevant score metric, casualties or speed? Do only reproducible results "count"? Of course people are going to disagree about strategy because not everyone has the same goals.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

Part of the issue is that there isn't actually a universally defined measure of what is "best." Makaris's strategy may very well be best according to his own set of metrics, but what defines "best"? Is a safe no light strategy "better" than a safe full light strategy that beats the game in the same number of weeks? Ditto things like paying for stress reduction or not (another point of pride for Makaris.) For that matter, which is a more relevant score metric, casualties or speed? Do only reproducible results "count"? Of course people are going to disagree about strategy because not everyone has the same goals.

This doesn't make sense. If Makaris' strategies are geared towards no light or new Game+ then they will assuredly win on light and first runs. If they are geared to be most effective in the dark, where the dark just amplifies the risks of the RNG or the need for reliable stress relief, then they should definitely work in the light.

So to answer whether a strategy in the dark is good for the light, yes, in fact it would be better.

Ya'll just mad because you keep dying.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Stumpus posted:

This doesn't make sense. If Makaris' strategies are geared towards no light or new Game+ then they will assuredly win on light and first runs. If they are geared to be most effective in the dark, where the dark just amplifies the risks of the RNG or the need for reliable stress relief, then they should definitely work in the light.

So to answer whether a strategy in the dark is good for the light, yes, in fact it would be better.

Counterpoint: nah.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Sorry I didn't realize I was being confusing in this. What I'm defining as best is a strategy that will beat the game with the minimum casualties. This has the side effects of being less expensive, as there are no lost resources on dead characters and/or stress treatment. With the extra cash you can skip the grindy part of the game and can usually fully outfit each team you send in, each week. Thereby this is reducing casualties even further and beating the game faster.

EDIT: Per below, thank you Jedah for explaining it better than I could.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 9, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Stumpus posted:

Dealing with the loss of one of your favorite characters is just a part of the DD experience, similar to XCOM. In my first run, I was learning and gaining experience, trying different party combos, and experimenting a lot. Sure, I died a ton, but I also had a lot of fun. Going into a dungeon and not knowing if you're going to come back alive is, as far as I'm concerned, the essence of DD.

In my second run (NG+), I was cold, calculating, well-researched, and only wanted to win as efficiently as possible. While it was significantly less fun, NG+ does punish any mistakes you make, since there's a timer attached to it. You almost need to have a full strategy ready from Week 1, and I believe Makaris is providing advice more from this mindset. He's trying to "min/max" the game, and sharing his experience of how he accomplished that. There's nothing wrong with that, it's all good advice. Still, I don't believe there's one specific way to play through the game.

For me, the "magic" of the game somewhat faded in NG+, since there wasn't that experimentation/fun phase from normal mode. I was just doing exactly what I knew would work. I had no deaths and two well geared teams, so obviously it worked, but that doesn't mean my way of playing is the "correct" way, it was just the method that worked for me. The gist of my NG+ strategy revolved around repeated Antiquarian runs, and Antiquarian-friendly compositions. She's incredibly profitable for your Hamlet, and can help carry you through NG+. Who cares about paying for stress relief when you're rich?

Edit: to clarify, when I say "no deaths," that doesn't include the final DD mission.

What I'm trying to say is that everybody should find their own way to play the game. There's no need to be absolutely serious about the game until NG+, where a few big mistakes can result in you not making it to the finish line.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 9, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Makaris posted:

Sorry I didn't realize I was being confusing in this. What I'm defining as best is a strategy that will beat the game with the minimum casualties. This has the side effects of being less expensive, as there are no lost resources on dead characters and/or stress treatment. With the extra cash you can skip the grindy part of the game and can usually fully outfit each team you send in, each week. Thereby this is reducing casualties even further and beating the game faster.

If you want to start posting speed runs, I'm happy to listen. But 0 death 80 week NG+ 100% boss completions don't really establish unquestionable superiority.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Eh I'm not the streamer sort. I'm sorry but you'll have to take my word for it, which I admit sucks.

Try watching FilthyRobot, he's got multiple complete playthroughs playing the game both straight and with a host of self-imposed rules. NG+no light was completed awhile ago, and he just finished a run with no Vestal. He's right now doing a NG+ no light run... With no stuns. I have no idea how that will pan out.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Makaris posted:

Eh I'm not the streamer sort. I'm sorry but you'll have to take my word for it, which I admit sucks.

Try watching FilthyRobot, he's got multiple complete playthroughs playing the game both straight and with a host of self-imposed rules. NG+no light was completed awhile ago, and he just finished a run with no Vestal. He's right now doing a NG+ no light run... With no stuns. I have no idea how that will pan out.

Right. And at a glance I can't help but notice that the no vestal run comes within a couple weeks of his best no light run, and would have beat it had he not scotched DD3 (i.e. the one part of the game I specifically want a vestal for.) Soooo... not really buying the pro-vestal argument. Damage/stun burst 4evah.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
He does the no Vestal run in the light (he tried no light first but it was too rng based and super unfun) and skips the bosses to wrap it up faster because he was more pumped to try the no stuns run.

EDIT: please tell me your set up for Vestal-less play. I honestly would like to see that and it'd take some of the heat off me. :eng99:

Makaris fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 9, 2017

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Makaris posted:

Protection and "pro strats"

You're going to hate this but I have a Crusader with hard skin, who I usually equip with ancestors sigil ring and protective boots for a total of 30% base protect. It's fun to have him use bulwark and watch as enemies bounce off of him.
I like to start him in the third row and have him murder a back row guy on the first turn and then stun and tank the front rows.

I have a leper that can get 30% base protect as well. it's great. The protective boots also make him nearly unmovable, at the cost of speed, which he never made use of anyway.

Also, sorry bud but I like my crusaders and lepers and highwaymen. gently caress jesters and abominations though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i play exclusively occultists and i roll a 2d4 each time they have a turn to determine what skill to use on who

Makaris
May 4, 2009
:mad:

What did the Crusader ever do to you??? To deserve that treatment?????

Like what is it even doing Vs any of the size 2 guys? Fist pumping every time he lands his 30-40ish % chance stun, or smashing away for 20 damage, only 120 left to go?

EDIT: OR BEING LIKE "sorry bud let me get that for you" and healing for 6 after you deal with the blighted giant but of course not before someone that isn't him ate a treebranch smackdown cause they got marked because the artillery was allowed to live too long and you can't land a stun if you're life depended on it????

And bulwark??? The worst skill in perhaps the entire game??

WHAAA please tell me I'm not alone in seeing this.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 9, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I know some folks on the forums don't care for Totalbiscuit's opinions, but his videos helped introduce me to Darkest Dungeon. He sparked my interest and made me want to learn more. Anyway, he created a "Top 10 Videos of 2016", and Darkest Dungeon ranked in at 7th place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DGSMS_aUsI&t=1366s

Based on what I've read, there was a time when Darkest Dungeon was going through some major transitions, and caught some bad publicity/negative reviews. I didn't play it during the beta, but it sounds like a lot of people were pissed when the Stress/Heart attack system became a more integral part of the game. I give TB credit for staying loyal to the game, despite its difficulty ramping up from the beta days. Perhaps someone from the beta can tell us more about this.

He also mentions the incredible narrator, Wayne June, and talks about the game's exceptional sound design & solid combat system. Cheers to him for introducing a lot of new players to DD, myself included. I don't know if I'd rank the game as low as #7 on my personal Top 10 list, but that's a different discussion.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i want wayne june to narrate my life

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jedah posted:

a lot of people were pissed when the Stress/Heart attack system became a more integral part of the game.

Those people are lovely babbys who suck at even remedial level strategy. They're the same morons who complained about the corpse system, because they couldn't just hold down the "attack leftmost enemy" button the entire game anymore.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah, the complaints came from removing the more cheesy aspects of the game (making constant Stun less viable, implementing corpses which made ranged enemies more threatening), balance changes (again, removing some more cheesy attacks from beta), or as noted fleshing out certain systems. Stress used to cap at 100 and couldn't kill you, until Heart Attacks were implemented. It still sucked to get afflicted but it was just a dungeon long debuff as opposed to, more or less, a secondary health bar you had to manage.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Coolguye posted:

i want wayne june to narrate my life

it'd sure beat the arrested development guy

actually i sort of want the arrested development guy to narrate darkest dungeon

"The goblet was not, in fact, all that tempting."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

it'd sure beat the arrested development guy

actually i sort of want the arrested development guy to narrate darkest dungeon

"The goblet was not, in fact, all that tempting."

dlc opportunities galore up in here

the bastion dude

"now how'd he go and miss that big old block of bones? ...fair question."

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I played Darkest Dungeon right after the infamous corpse patch. My problem, and a problem with early access games, is the developers will start catering too hard for the people currently playing it, and not making the game as a future finished product. My understanding was this rather hardcore fan base saying it was too easy, and the developers adjusting for that. Of course that early access fan base has a lot of experience with the game, so they were constantly adjusting to the difficulty raise. New players like me who didn't have a built up history of rolling through enemies just smacked up against a wall, and the people already playing it were mad because they had to adjust all their old strategies of having the back rows file forward as they cut their way through the ranks. To make matters worse, if I remember things right, corpses were hosed up. You could miss them with attacks, they had a lot of health, and would do things like catch the Arbalist's blind fire. That's all been fixed now and they have a config menu but I'm sure all those negative reviews still exist.

I managed to make it through Light the Way and it's the furthest I've ever made. Vestal/GR/HM/MAA. I was cheesing stress heals and coming out of fights better off than I was going into them, but the furthest right boss killed the grave robber. She got crit, blighted, and failed death's door when her time came up. I did what I thought of as unthinkable and carried on to the last boss, the top middle, with a three man team, and somehow pulled it off with the only trouble being clenched rear end.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I just started playing this yesterday and having a lot of fun, but I can't figure out why this is not available for tablets. Seems like the perfect tablet game.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

nerox posted:

I just started playing this yesterday and having a lot of fun, but I can't figure out why this is not available for tablets. Seems like the perfect tablet game.

I heard that they had been considering putting it on tablets, but who knows if anything will come of it?

Edit: it's okay, markaris. I don't have the Crusader do that anymore since he's now on veteran dungeons. Normally I have crusaders start in row 3 or 4 and holy lance one of the back rows on the first turn, then have them do whatever. I do agree that they desperately need some sort of buff, definitely a higher stun, or let holy lance hit row 2, or have some secondary effect to make bulwark more worthwhile. Any of those would be a major improvement while not being overpowered. He definitely should have a higher stun.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 10, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

nerox posted:

This but phones. The UI seems designed for phones and tablets, it's kind of weird that it's not available on them.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
A good day yesterday: Killed the Siren on veteran without any issues (she kept stealing me MAA, and he kept bellowing but everyone resisted the debuff because of holy water). Also did an apprentice dungeon to level up some guys, and decided to summon a Shambler on my way out. Managed to stun him for 2 turns, and he was dead before he could summon or attack anything.

So a few questions. Prophet is coming up in not too long. I remember killing him very easily on apprentice difficulty by just debuffing his damage with an occultist. Does this work on veteran as well?

Secondly, do you guys usually unlock the whole stagecoach, so you can have 28 guys? Also, I've gotten my guild and my blacksmith up to where I can train my level 4 guys, but I'll probably stop there and rather upgrade cost reduction, since gold seems to be my biggest concern now. I guess this is a decent strategy?

Lastly: I've killed the shambler 3 times now, and gotten 3 ancestral trinkets. Can you get all of them just by killing him?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wafflecopper posted:

This but phones. The UI seems designed for phones and tablets, it's kind of weird that it's not available on them.
Well, they did put it on the Vita, but I hear a lot of cursing about that version. Is it that poo poo?

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Sjonkel posted:

A good day yesterday: Killed the Siren on veteran without any issues (she kept stealing me MAA, and he kept bellowing but everyone resisted the debuff because of holy water). Also did an apprentice dungeon to level up some guys, and decided to summon a Shambler on my way out. Managed to stun him for 2 turns, and he was dead before he could summon or attack anything.

So a few questions. Prophet is coming up in not too long. I remember killing him very easily on apprentice difficulty by just debuffing his damage with an occultist. Does this work on veteran as well?

Secondly, do you guys usually unlock the whole stagecoach, so you can have 28 guys? Also, I've gotten my guild and my blacksmith up to where I can train my level 4 guys, but I'll probably stop there and rather upgrade cost reduction, since gold seems to be my biggest concern now. I guess this is a decent strategy?

Lastly: I've killed the shambler 3 times now, and gotten 3 ancestral trinkets. Can you get all of them just by killing him?

Awesome on the Shamblers man. If o remember correctly they buffed they're resistance to stun awhile ago to make it harder. If you can land them though, it has kinda low hp. It's one of the (if not the) hardest damage races in the game.

What ancestor items did you get? I love the map and the candle.

I almost always level up my stage coach to 4 dudes (or more if I'm getting frustrated by who's showing up) and then max the roster before using my deeds on the guild.

I tend to level all my guys up evenly. But more then that you'll need a minimum of 16 characters leveled up to beat the game so it's nice to have the flexibility.

@ Skeleton King. That's like a million times better. Honestly I was being a bit hammy with my reaction, didn't mean for my posts to come off as a call out.

I agree that he could use a stun, but I'm also pretty sure the developers have been listening to feedback and are likely to change the basic kind of encounters we'll be seeing to make the close range brawlers stronger.

Still that stun needs a huge buff.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 10, 2017

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Flubby posted:

To make matters worse, if I remember things right, corpses were hosed up. You could miss them with attacks, they had a lot of health, and would do things like catch the Arbalist's blind fire.

Ooh, Blind Fire doesn't hit corpses anymore? That's good to know, I thought I'd just been really lucky.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

SelenicMartian posted:

Well, they did put it on the Vita, but I hear a lot of cursing about that version. Is it that poo poo?

It's clunky, but not terrible. The only problems are the controls, which would be much better with touch.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What's the best Shambler killing party? I'd like to get the ancestor trinkets that you can't get from the Champion dungeons, so I'm thinking of throwing together a series of level two parties to run through low level dungeon after low level dungeon in the hopes of finding Shambler summoning curios.

Something like Vestal/Grave Robber/MAA/Hellion? Load the hellion with a stun boosting trinket and have a pile of herbs for YAWP'ing the summons while the robber and MAA kill the Shambler and the Vestal keeps folks off Deaths Door? The shuffle would be a pain at the beginning of the fight.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Arcturas posted:

Something like Vestal/Grave Robber/MAA/Hellion? Load the hellion with a stun boosting trinket and have a pile of herbs for YAWP'ing the summons while the robber and MAA kill the Shambler and the Vestal keeps folks off Deaths Door? The shuffle would be a pain at the beginning of the fight.
Shamblers ' (from the basic one to the abhorrent one) resistance to stun is in the 100% to 145% range. So good luck. Meanwhile 35% to 78% for bleed and blight. I generally go for bleed with grave robber, jester, vestal and a hound master.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 10, 2017

Makaris
May 4, 2009
My Shambler hunting team is the same as my DD1 team.

PD > VESTAL > HIGHWAYMAN > MAN-AT-ARMS

Double reposte eats them alive, as they constantly aoe everyone. And both can counter shuffling by helping repositioning the team. PD is commonly outfitted for pure stun chance and can actually make it happen consistently. Also good Vs rampant bleeding. Vestal because Vestal.

Edit: PD can be swapped for Hound if you want stress healing for the mission before / recover after the fight.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 11, 2017

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

The abomination is made for Shambler hunting. Rake can kill the tentacles before they do anything if you have good speed (use the quickening or have a speed trinket). Try to lock in Eldritch Hater/Slayer on your Abominations and Occultists if you get the chance.
My shambler hunter party is: HM, Occ, Abom, Hellion

This is my favourite party composition in the game. The hound master can counter the added stress from the abomination. Everyone in the party can self heal. There are enough stuns and DoTs that you can safely address health/stress in the final turns of the fight. Almost everyone can attack every position to some degree and it is rare that being out of position will render the hero useless.

On a related note, is it worth going for shambler kills in NG+? I just started and the temptation is getting to me. I want a couple of the trinkets but I know that about half my deaths in normal mode were due to fighting it with suboptimal teams (overconfidence is actually a really fast killer).

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Sparticle posted:

On a related note, is it worth going for shambler kills in NG+? I just started and the temptation is getting to me. I want a couple of the trinkets but I know that about half my deaths in normal mode were due to fighting it with suboptimal teams (overconfidence is actually a really fast killer).

Yes, but for best odds in apprentice level with a team of level 2's, and only after you've already cleared the dungeon and are still in good condition. If the fight goes poorly you can still bail without the mission having been a bust. The rewards don't scale, so might as well take on the Shambler when it's most in your favor.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The town event that removes level restrictions is great for shambler hunting too. Bring a bunch of high levels to an apprentice dungeon and go full dark. But don't forget to bring a torch in case you get the shambler curio.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The only part of this game that I find annoying is when a class you want just never shows up in the stagecoach. I'm pretty sure no Abominations have showed up in like 30 weeks, and my only Man At Arms died and his replacement isn't showing up either.

OTOH, I've had the resurrection even happen 3 times and that's pretty handy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/170408850319177473/06AA2D62A56D3698DBC4FE6AA36AF586E23DFCFC/

holy poo poo that was a good haul.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
http://www.darkestdungeon.com/radiant-mode-dev-update/

Looks like Radiant mode and Crimson Court are going to be separate updates, but it also looks to add new threats to champion difficulty dungeons. Kinda needed imo, Champion stagnates fast unlike Veteran where you see more dynamic changes.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
It sounds like that flag bearer skeleton might be able to resurrect and/or buff? At least that's what I gathered from it. Sounds neat, though not dissimilar to how slimes work. Might be something totally new!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
The loving collector or whatever can go straight to hell. That loving rear end in a top hat keeps ruining my run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Out of the last 3 darkest dungeons, which one needs the most stress relief? I did not know characters get locked out, and I only have a single hound master at 6 that can heal stress well. I heard the second mission is the hardest, kind of scared to start it because I don't want to have to relevel a bunch of people. Currently at week 86, just need to beat the last warrens boss and 3 last DDs.