Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Aquarium of Lies posted:

agreed, music is cool + good

or art, my design degree led to all kinds of fancy poo poo (FYI list it as usability)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
wrong thread

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
that feel when a recruiter emails you out of the blue with a job that would be a 50% raise :unsmith:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

leper khan posted:

that feel when a recruiter emails you out of the blue with a job that would be a 50% raise :unsmith:

Lol if u think you're the only fish on that line

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

leper khan posted:

this was me two and a half years ago! and then it turned out that a 50% raise was still massively underpaying me by like 20k, lmao.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Elder Postsman posted:

this was me two and a half years ago! and then it turned out that a 50% raise was still massively underpaying me by like 20k, lmao.

:catstare:

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

kinda wishing that i could quit my job and focus on prepping for interviews full time but obvs that's the dumbest possible decision, to forego income to cram whiteboarding questions all day and read CLRS, so instead I'll do InterviewBit or some other fluffy technical questions prep site

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

kinda wishing that i could quit my job and focus on prepping for interviews full time but obvs that's the dumbest possible decision, to forego income to cram whiteboarding questions all day and read CLRS, so instead I'll do InterviewBit or some other fluffy technical questions prep site

same. i have a bunch of stuff in flight and more time to get ready would be swell.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

every day I rue that the only things i learned from my algorithms classes were quicksort is the quickest sort, Dijkstra's is the best pathfinding algorithm, and just use hash tables for everything manggg

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

yeah lol. last job it took 7 years to go from 28k to 40k. i started here in 2014 at 60, after a year and a half they'd bumped me up to 75. so i'm almost where i want to be now. it's v good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Maximo Roboto posted:

every day I rue that the only things i learned from my algorithms classes were quicksort is the quickest sort, Dijkstra's is the best pathfinding algorithm, and just use hash tables for everything manggg

i've learned this from yospos

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

this does get you through 90% of situations where you need to know that stuff though

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

this does get you through 90% of situations where you need to know that stuff though

in actual work, not for interviews

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
got an onsite set up for next week, and a recruiter called me yesterday for another position where the lower end of the salary range would still be a 10k bump.

my current company is gonna be in a world of hurt for a while without me, I may need to have ambulance waiting outside in case my boss has a heart attack when I drop notice.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Maximo Roboto posted:

have you tried ignoring your current responsibilities at work and doing interview practice on the clock?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

devmd01 posted:

my current company is gonna be in a world of hurt for a while without me, I may need to have ambulance waiting outside in case my boss has a heart attack when I drop notice.

then they should be doing everything they can to keep you happy and not even needing to search for a new job. why aren't they doing that?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ask for a lot of dollars!!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have a second interview next week and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna get owned by algorithms

which is a shame because i hit it off pretty well with their vp of engineering and would really enjoy + be qualified for the position

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 13, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

in actual work, not for interviews

then you just need to memorize cracking the coding interview

google literally emails the PDF to you if you apply there

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

The Management posted:

then they should be doing everything they can to keep you happy and not even needing to search for a new job. why aren't they doing that?

because my boss is incompetent, we have half the staff we should for the amount of people/infrastructure we support, and I'm not doing the extra half an hour to my commute that our new building at the end of the year will add. :)

I have on paper that I'll be getting a 7% raise in March and my potential bonus is greatly increased, but I'm not sticking around for another year of this bullshit since they only pay out if you're employed through the end of the year.

our network admin walked away from their bonus when they quit in November because they hated it so much.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

devmd01 posted:

because my boss is incompetent, we have half the staff we should for the amount of people/infrastructure we support, and I'm not doing the extra half an hour to my commute that our new building at the end of the year will add. :)

I have on paper that I'll be getting a 7% raise in March and my potential bonus is greatly increased, but I'm not sticking around for another year of this bullshit since they only pay out if you're employed through the end of the year.

our network admin walked away from their bonus when they quit in November because they hated it so much.

going from that yearly bullshit to quarterly was such an unexpected breath of fresh air. I got my first one halfway through my second month. manager just called me up all 'hey yeah your objective for the first year is to ramp up and you're doing fine so gj' ten minutes later my phone blorps to tell me that a deposit into my account was made.

really didn't think I'd care about that element at all but it's real nice having an employer have confidence in their end of the deal- enough that they don't attach all sorts of strings to stuff like that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Management posted:

haveu heard of dysfunctional management

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

SO is the one I will unequivocally recommend every time. Most of the companies on there will be smaller but there's usually a number of good options depending on what sort of position/location you're looking for and they make remote opportunities very clear.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

HN who's his hiring + the yc alumni job posts are all pretty good. Weworkremotely is good for remote.

so this is really loving important right at the outset. decide what is important to you. the same approach is not gonna work for small and large companies, and the outcomes will not be the same when you hire on.

the experience is radically different, and how you look for a job is gonna change

• if you really just can't see yourself working 12 hours a day while being abused by a 20-something "founder" or the big boss's twerp nephew, maybe a "small company" is not for you

• if buzzword bingo makes you die a little inside or you can't stand "policy," maybe fortune 500 life isn't going to suit you

• if you wish to be paid with money instead of lottery tickets, you should probably not take any kind of a startup job. i don't care how cool the office is, and neither should you.

SO and HN seem pretty fuckin dead-on targeted at small business and startups, so, hope that aligns with your career goals

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 14, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
another key thing: every special request you add to a job search extends the job search

big requests:
  • changing industry
  • changing niches within the industry
  • changing geographic markets
  • looking for relocation assistance (yes, separately from just moving!)
  • going from technology to management (or the other direction)
  • and the biggest of all: working remote. (this one is basically the worst on the list folks)

asking for any one of these things will double your job search. doing two might double it again. doing three, gently caress, just sign up for food stamps now and save yourself the trouble

any one of these will also complicate salary negotiations, since they all raise risks for your prospective employer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximo Roboto posted:

is there any way to get paid as much if not more than a dev, but not be a tech. generally the alternate suggestions are

* engineering management
* product management
* project management
* sales engineering

these careers typically start in technology. they don't gotta but that's how it usually goes

Maximo Roboto posted:

* recruiter
* technical writer

these don't, but not very many recruiters make the big bucks. external recruiters who found recruiting firms (i.e. boiler rooms full of 20 somethings "paying their dues") get rich. who else does?

i've never heard of a tech writer making dev pay. is that a thing ?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so this is really loving important right at the outset. decide what is important to you. the same approach is not gonna work for small and large companies, and the outcomes will not be the same when you hire on.

the experience is radically different, and how you look for a job is gonna change

• if you really just can't see yourself working 12 hours a day while being abused by a 20-something "founder" or the big boss's twerp nephew, maybe a "small company" is not for you

• if buzzword bingo makes you die a little inside or you can't stand "policy," maybe fortune 500 life isn't going to suit you

• if you wish to be paid with money instead of lottery tickets, you should probably not take any kind of a startup job. i don't care how cool the office is, and neither should you.

SO and HN seem pretty fuckin dead-on targeted at small business and startups, so, hope that aligns with your career goals

any recommendations for targeting large companies? or is it just hit their careers page and hope?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

jony neuemonic posted:

any recommendations for targeting large companies? or is it just hit their careers page and hope?

know someone who already works there to get you past HR

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jony neuemonic posted:

target your resume carefully. make sure you have buzzwords both in body text and in the buzzword section (for applicant management systems)

also bother to write a cover letter. it doesn't have to be long or elaborate, just, you know, more than nothing

this advice applies to any company, but big companies can afford to be pickier. they have more applicants and more money to spend

JewKiller 3000 posted:

know someone who already works there to get you past HR

also this

you would be surprised at how many people you probably have a connection to at a big company. look some poo poo up on linkedin, ask a friend to introduce you to another friend. buy a coffee/beer, you'll get an employee referral tout suite

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
big companies also have big referral bonuses so everybody is on the prowl for candidates 100% of the time

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

thanks dudes.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I want money, but i dont want to work. any thoughts?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

be a developer lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sorry that was mean be a scrum master

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

more like cum master

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

'when will you finish this story?'

*makes sharepoint gesture*

'eventually!'

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Agile Vector posted:

be a developer lol
"how many people work at microsoft"
billg: about 50%

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

BONGHITZ posted:

vagrancy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

PM

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

BONGHITZ posted:

have you considered doing drugs for money, sell yourself to medical trials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

PMP

• Locked thread