Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rogue One is not a "lovely" movie. The prequels were lovely movies.

Fight me.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Do not force this thread into the land where they love the smell of their own farts, please

Oh god no, I didn't mean move this thread there, I meant those posters should leave and go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

WampaLord posted:

Fight me.

R1 was all the cool poo poo you wish Star Wars would have done if it had the budget and technology when the originals were made. It scratched the itch everyone thought the prequels would. It just doesn't do much more than that, if you stripped out the Star Wars from it and made it a generic sci-fi movie it would be a pretty boring movie with good action at the end. That said I don't think it was a good movie, but some people like it because it fulfilled all their Star Wars(TM) fantasies.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

clearly the truth is in the middle

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

FedEx Mercury posted:

You're going to be walking past cheap plastic poo poo with the words "STAR WARS" stamped on it until you die.

Even after the robots destroy us all, they'll still be making Star Wars movies. When aliens finally find the ruined carcass of our civilization they will think we believed in "the Force" and that Darth Vader was our savior.

And then they will be infected with it, too.

When the last black hole evaporates, all that will be left in the universe will be some nerd's replica lightsaber.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I still don't get why people are mad at poo poo like "I'm gonna see Star Wars commercials now!"

First off, don't watch ads. Secondly, who gives a gently caress? Everything is marketed at us constantly, why is it bad that some of it is Star Wars?

ETA: Before someone says it's impossible to not watch ads, bullshit. Adblocker and don't have cable.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

WampaLord posted:

Prequels were at least trying for something. A fat, deluded, out of touch egotist's dream but it's still better than a blatant and generic merchandising scam.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Love Crime posted:

Prequels were at least trying for something. A fat, deluded, out of touch egotist's dream but it's still better than a blatant and generic merchandising scam.

They were trying to be a generic merchandising scam you loving idiot.

Lucas wasn't aiming for high art, he just wanted them to beat Titanic at the box office. There were Sio Bibble action figures.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

WampaLord posted:

They were trying to be a generic merchandising scam you loving idiot.

Lucas wasn't aiming for high art, he just wanted them to beat Titanic at the box office. There were Sio Bibble action figures.

Lucas wasn't afraid to make merchandise for everything but there's a difference between making merchandise for everything and adding something specifically for merchandising, the latter being Rogue One. Sorry you're too angry and dumb to understand.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WampaLord posted:

Fight me.

No-no. Not Rogue One. TFA is a lovely movie.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Paladinus posted:

No-no. Not Rogue One. TFA is a lovely movie.

:frogon:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpS6TlqgLIQ

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
*A quiet voice calls from the distance*

Mary suuuueeee

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

R1 has everything I as 30-something nerd wanted in a starwars movie, but absolutely nothing more. If you had asked me what I wanted in a new starwars movie I'd probably say something like "How about a stand-alone story covering some non-skywalkers during the classic trilogy, maybe have it star some slightly less heroic characters, maybe give it some darker tones and moral ambiguity." and that's what we sort of got, except it's poo poo because it's nothing more than that.

It's like a genie came and said "I'll grant you your dream car, just list the features you most want" and you go on to list all the features you'd love in your perfect vehicle. And then it gives you exactly what you described but nothing else. You didn't talk about the doors so there's no doors. You didn't mention the frame so there's no frame. It's just a pile of all the parts and things you specifically said you wanted but not actually formed into a working car, just a pile of really nice parts.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i wanted the funny robot to sex the girl

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
...so everyone who said rogue one is everything you wanted...

Why did you want every character in your hypothetical Star Wars movie to die.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
R1 just reminded me of a standard marvel movie like Ant-Man; some issues with character building and pacing but an enjoyable movie overall, not really worth a rewatch. So I'm hoping the next standalone movie will blow me away like the second Captain America movie which completely took me by surprise.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'd be fine with them all dying if the movie was good and the writing related to their deaths were good. The bad movie would have been good if it was good instead of bad. Could have had the same general plot and characters, just good instead of bad.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Do people hook up with robots in the star wars universe? they're clearly sentient

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Star Wars only works when it's an adventure. You can't do a "war movie" in the Star Wars universe for the same reasons that you can't do a war movie in the Fast and the Furious universe. Star Wars is only capable of telling "people have to get a thing to do a thing" stories because it's an incestuous, tiny 'universe' that requires you to have Lightsabers and Tie Fighters and Darth Vader in your movie because there's almost nothing else to say, and certainly no other characters of major importance.

It's a "galaxy" with a million species but one monoculture. Its only outlooks are "good" or "evil." It's not something like Star Trek where there is a lot to explore and you could do stories without Kirk or the Enterprise. The entirety of the Star Wars canon is all gilding on the lily of one simple black and white conflict involving one tiny family.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

Star Wars only works when it's an adventure. You can't do a "war movie" in the Star Wars universe for the same reasons that you can't do a war movie in the Fast and the Furious universe. Star Wars is only capable of telling "people have to get a thing to do a thing" stories

Rogue One is a movie where they have to get the Death Star plans to stop the Death Star.

It's not a loving war movie just because it has battles in it, how is this hard for people to get?

Saving Private Ryan is a war movie. Full Metal Jacket is a war movie. Platoon is a war movie.

Rogue One is a science fantasy movie about stealing plans from a military base.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Plus it woulda been a good movie if it had Good Characters. There was nothing wrong with the setpieces or the action

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ashpanash posted:

Star Wars only works when it's an adventure. You can't do a "war movie" in the Star Wars universe for the same reasons that you can't do a war movie in the Fast and the Furious universe. Star Wars is only capable of telling "people have to get a thing to do a thing" stories because it's an incestuous, tiny 'universe' that requires you to have Lightsabers and Tie Fighters and Darth Vader in your movie because there's almost nothing else to say, and certainly no other characters of major importance.

It's a "galaxy" with a million species but one monoculture. Its only outlooks are "good" or "evil." It's not something like Star Trek where there is a lot to explore and you could do stories without Kirk or the Enterprise. The entirety of the Star Wars canon is all gilding on the lily of one simple black and white conflict involving one tiny family.

I'd totally disagree and say you actually could do a good starwars war movie, or heist movie, or mob/crime movie or what ever. Just actually go all the way and do it good rather than by marketing focus groups. It's half measures and "playing it safe" that generally ends up with creative disasters. R1 wasn't dark and it wasn't really a war movie either, it didn't seem to know what it wanted to be.

Make a Tie fighter movie, there's your darker morally ambiguous movie. Show the classic conflict but through the eyes of some imperial pilot who has seen the empire stop the civil war in his home system and fight crime and piracy and do actual good things. Hell, follow the general plot of the game and have him involved in stopping some imperial separatists.

Make a Dark Forces game. Pre-jedi Kyle and what's her name investigate some new imperial droid trooper project, follow the general plot of the first game (minus the death star plans). Have a dude fighting scary terminators and fighting his way out of a trap on Nar Shaddaa and eventually infiltrate the factory ship to bring it down from the inside. Whatever, just make it good.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 13, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I am not a big fan of Star Wars.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Plus it woulda been a good movie if it had Good Characters. There was nothing wrong with the setpieces or the action

I agree, in the sense that the action was well shot. Of course it would have been meaningful if we cared about the characters, but that's apparently a bridge too far.

WampaLord posted:

I agree, it just bugs me when I see people defend it as a war movie. (Not so much here, but I have seen it.)

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

WampaLord posted:

Rogue One is a movie where they have to get the Death Star plans to stop the Death Star.

It's not a loving war movie just because it has battles in it, how is this hard for people to get?

Saving Private Ryan is a war movie. Full Metal Jacket is a war movie. Platoon is a war movie.

Yeah I've never understood where the "war movie" descriptor came from for Rogue One.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

WampaLord posted:

No it's a war movie because it had a focus on death and misery and pointlessness of combat.
See the focus on things like civilians dying in battles in the city and the alliance actually being the one to kill the father figure in the crossfire and the talk about the horrible things the alliance people did in the past and how even saving civilians in the city was pointless since they were just nuked by the Death Star afterwards and SO ON

And absolutely everyone even remotely involved in the mission is loving dead at the end

there is no part where the action is framed as an adventure and the combat is something fun and exciting

It's incredibly disingenuous (and really cined) to reduce criticisms to something no one has said and ignore every aspect of the tone and the events of the movie in order to miss the point of it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

there is no part where the action is framed as an adventure and the combat is something fun and exciting

Tell that to the fanboys whooping it up when evil ol' dark helmet takes out his red laser dick.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

ashpanash posted:

Tell that to the fanboys whooping it up when evil ol' dark helmet takes out his red laser dick.

Wait what

Okay I guess some people could at that point in the movie be excited about Vader BEING BADASS and not loving exhausted at all the pointless death at that point. I don't understand it but whatever.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Me personally I loved it, it added so much to the star wars mythos, to have darth vader force his thick glowing red lightsaber on those rebel soldiers. It creates such drama, such tension, it enriches all previously stablished vistas.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I highly recommend people read the CD Star Wars thread. On the one hand you have that SMG guy, his alts and a few sycophants using all the rhetorical tricks in the book to push a really stupid and condescendig misreading of Star Wars (as well as a number of other pop trash films) as deep, radical critiques. Then you have impressionable nerds eating that poo poo up, giving him the respect he craves and treating him like a loving visionary. It's like watching people self-radicalizing to ISIS under the sway of some e-preacher.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
jesus christ

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Delthalaz posted:

I highly recommend people read the CD Star Wars thread. On the one hand you have that SMG guy, his alts and a few sycophants using all the rhetorical tricks in the book to push a really stupid and condescendig misreading of Star Wars (as well as a number of other pop trash films) as deep, radical critiques. Then you have impressionable nerds eating that poo poo up, giving him the respect he craves and treating him like a loving visionary. It's like watching people self-radicalizing to ISIS under the sway of some e-preacher.

Nice try but I will never willingly go to CD

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Rey is Lukes daughter who had her memory wiped to protect her after his school was attacked. She is force trained and will start to remember things, or have her memories restored by daddy Luke.

Quote this so you remember I was right when the next laughably predictable Star Wars poo poo show comes out

SMG is a laughably lame gimmick poster and if you like him go post in CD and suck his dick there.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
seriously yall need to start watching truly creative movies like rogue one and captain america civil war

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Delthalaz posted:

Is that what it's like

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

An exclusive patreon preview for the Rogue One Plinkett. As with Force Awakens, he seems to go on a tangent about other movies first.

So wait, this is just you talking? I haven't listened yet, but it seems pretty weak to pretend you're posting some RLM poo poo and it's just you. Who are you, exactly?

Also if I've misread the subsequent posts from other people, my bad.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TheBigAristotle posted:

So wait, this is just you talking? I haven't listened yet, but it seems pretty weak to pretend you're posting some RLM poo poo and it's just you. Who are you, exactly?

Also if I've misread the subsequent posts from other people, my bad.

Where did you learn to read? What you're hearing is SMG making fun of RLM.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

JB50 posted:

Rey is Lukes daughter who had her memory wiped to protect her after his school was attacked. She is force trained and will start to remember things, or have her memories restored by daddy Luke.

Quote this so you remember I was right when the next laughably predictable Star Wars poo poo show comes out

SMG is a laughably lame gimmick poster and if you like him go post in CD and suck his dick there.

I agree

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

a bone to pick posted:

Where did you learn to read? What you're hearing is SMG making fun of RLM.

No its a guy reading a Super Mecha Godzilla post in a plinkett voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. F! posted:

No its a guy reading a Super Mecha Godzilla post in a plinkett voice

Ahh so it is I who cannot read.

• Locked thread