Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yeah, she's done tons of stunt work on Trek, but I don't think she's ever had a speaking part.

I think she had in that episode where Picard is stuck on the Enterprise with a bunch of thieves while it's getting decontaminated, or possibly the one where she's a Romulan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Citizen, they also know you failed, willfully, to report these transgressions against the Empire. We will endeavour to ensure you share an adjacent cell so you can continue to feel smug about this.

I thought it was the cardaissian union not empire.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I think she had in that episode where Picard is stuck on the Enterprise with a bunch of thieves while it's getting decontaminated, or possibly the one where she's a Romulan.

Both, iirc.

E: also Data pushed her into the water in Generations

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

There's an accountant in the back sweating and crunching numbers on an abacus. "Do they really need to talk? If we combine the stunt role with a speaking part do we have to pay them more? Do phasers count as a stunt shot? Can we just shoot them with a phaser?"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MrSlam posted:

There's ferengi in the back sweating and crunching numbers on an abacus. "Do they really need to talk? If we combine the stunt role with a speaking part do we have to pay them more? Do phasers count as a stunt shot? Can we just shoot them with a phaser?"

:rolleyes:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I doubt Ferengi are big in the Accounting Profession. Except maybe for other Ferengi.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Apollodorus posted:

Both, iirc.

E: also Data pushed her into the water in Generations

The most unbelievable part of that movie is that none of the characters laughed a little bit at Data pushing Beverly. Come on, it's a little funny.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I doubt Ferengi are big in the Accounting Profession. Except maybe for other Ferengi.

Probably bigger in inter-species auditing than front line accounting.

A Ferengi auditor could track down a single stolen stem bolt within a mid-sized Tamarian anesthizine and anesthizine accessories distributor.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The most unbelievable part of that movie is that none of the characters laughed a little bit at Data pushing Beverly. Come on, it's a little funny.

No you see in the utopian society humanity has created we've moved on from such crass humour at the expense of our fellow man
:goonsay:

naem
May 29, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The trick is have several rival ferrengi accountants all competing for the same contract

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Wouldn't there still be the risk of one of them funneling your money into their pockets?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Wouldn't there still be the risk of one of them funneling your money into their pockets?

That's why you offer them ridiculously low pay. They'll understand what that means.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Infidel Castro posted:

No you see in the utopian society humanity has created we've moved on from such crass humour at the expense of our fellow man
:goonsay:

I wish Data had a fart simulator that he had no control over, and that he didn't understand that farts are socially unacceptable and funny.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Really, it seems weird that Dr Soong put so much effort into other tiny simulations like seemingly random blinking and things of that nature, but decided for forgo other parts of being alive. By all rights he should have days where he bolts from his station to the tiny bathroom by the turbolift, or have days where his hair just won't cooperate, or get a weird half boner he really doesn't understand when he hears the new ensign taking about the Romulan yeast infection she picked up in New Jakarta

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Data can like eat and drink right?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
He doesn't have to, but chooses to occasionally up mimic human activities. I think I remember him saying that the food would get broken down into energy or lubricates his servos or something, instead of just having a hopper he had to pour down the toilet every night before bed.

Although the other day I was watching Insurrection on TV and he told that idiot kid he was besties with that his batteries are constantly recharging themselves so he never sleeps, which makes me ask the question again of why aren't those batteries in everything? Fill every console and replicator and transporter and phaser bank with those puppies and you're never worrying about losing power to any crucial systems

Ricardio
Dec 3, 2012

Completely Consensual
He is... fully functional.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
On second thought wrt the food getting broken down and used in his system, I might be thinking of Robocop

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

criscodisco posted:

He doesn't have to, but chooses to occasionally up mimic human activities. I think I remember him saying that the food would get broken down into energy or lubricates his servos or something, instead of just having a hopper he had to pour down the toilet every night before bed.

Although the other day I was watching Insurrection on TV and he told that idiot kid he was besties with that his batteries are constantly recharging themselves so he never sleeps, which makes me ask the question again of why aren't those batteries in everything? Fill every console and replicator and transporter and phaser bank with those puppies and you're never worrying about losing power to any crucial systems

Insurrection had some of the worst technobabble bullshit going on in all the films. there was that stupid scene where Riker orders full impulse and Geordi goes "but dude we'll blow the intake manifolds" (???????????) and then of course it's never mentioned again or shown to have any consequences whatsoever

tachyon pulses and phase whatevers all over the drat script. loving Michael Piller really lost the plot there

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DS9 writers had standing orders to avoid technobabble, and specially never solve the plot with it. Like sure have some star trek words in the background, but it shouldn't be the solution to the episode. Also Dax loving hated saying the technobabble and choked out the science advisor at a party demanding he stop writing that poo poo for her.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Baronjutter posted:

DS9 writers had standing orders to avoid technobabble, and specially never solve the plot with it. Like sure have some star trek words in the background, but it shouldn't be the solution to the episode. Also Dax loving hated saying the technobabble and choked out the science advisor at a party demanding he stop writing that poo poo for her.

Yeah but what a sexy attempted murder

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Insurrection had some of the worst technobabble bullshit going on in all the films. there was that stupid scene where Riker orders full impulse and Geordi goes "but dude we'll blow the intake manifolds" (???????????) and then of course it's never mentioned again or shown to have any consequences whatsoever

tachyon pulses and phase whatevers all over the drat script. loving Michael Piller really lost the plot there

Really the most egregious thing was when Riker manually drive the ship with a video game joystick that pops out of the floor, and they didn't even bother to cover up the big orange trigger button. I'm guessing the computer just guessed what speed and yaw settings you wanted

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The 50 year books made me not hate Dax anymore. I mean I never disliked the actress, it was just poor writing she was stuck with. But man, sick for like the whole first season, weird sunlight sensitivity, tons of crippling anxieties and self doubt, Berman being his usual sexist self. And poor Siddig almost got kicked off the show but Ira fought for him. Everyone seemed to have each other's back, professionally, on DS9.
I'm curious about the drama between Siddig and Brooks though, if it was just over Nana or something else. Siddig claims to have no idea. Just one moment it's "we're both african brothers and need to stick together" and the next an extremely cold shoulder. But professionally, none of the cast or crew let that poo poo get in the way of making the show and giving it their best. You read the voyager section and holy gently caress Kate got bent out of shape and behaved horribly over 7 of 9 and everyone on that goddamn show was so unprofessional and filled with backstabbing and politics.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

The one time the techobabble worked was that klingon civil two parter they were trying to catch the romulans crossing the boarder. They played up the tension and strategy.

"we have a net that will catch them"

"poo poo they have a net that will catch us, find a way to beat it"

"they arent going for it fake an opening"

"Sir they have an opening....No its a trap use that counter messure we came up with"

*Data does what he does best*

Basically it didnt feel like they were casting magic spells.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I just got up to season 4 and Seven acts like less of a robot than Kes did :lol:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

criscodisco posted:

Really the most egregious thing was when Riker manually drive the ship with a video game joystick that pops out of the floor, and they didn't even bother to cover up the big orange trigger button. I'm guessing the computer just guessed what speed and yaw settings you wanted

this scene brought to you by Thrustmaster!!

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

They should've had a couple hubcaps fly off when the Enterprise crashed in Generations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dicky mouse posted:

The one time the techobabble worked was that klingon civil two parter they were trying to catch the romulans crossing the boarder. They played up the tension and strategy.

"Sir they have an opening....No its a trap use that counter messure we came up with"

Yeah, there's a difference between technobabble and actual science fiction writing. That was a science fiction plot. It was understandable, they had a map showing the sensor net, it made sense.
If it was Voyager or a lovely TNG episode it would have been data just spouting a bunch of meaningless technobabble that causes an inverse charged tachyon field to create a subspace wake around the romulan's warp fields.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

criscodisco posted:

On second thought wrt the food getting broken down and used in his system, I might be thinking of Robocop

You're thinking of that time Data was drinking something that looked like a drink, but was really just lube for his systems. He sometimes likes to do that to feel included or something.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm pretty sure that as originally envisioned, Data was supposed to have organic (or semi-organic?) components in addition to mechanical parts.

Then later writers basically decided he's just a big beep-boop walking tin man robot.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That's kinda cool. But I am still wondering what episode that scene I am remembering is from.

Is it the one with the kid who wants to be a robot like data? I dunno. I wish I did remember. It's bothering me :smith:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The General posted:

That's kinda cool. But I am still wondering what episode that scene I am remembering is from.

Is it the one with the kid who wants to be a robot like data? I dunno. I wish I did remember. It's bothering me :smith:

I remember that line too but I have barely watched TNG so I have no clue about which episode. I don't think it is that one tho.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I do remember him talking to the kid who thought he was an android about occasionally eating or drinking

Really, didn't anyone ever question why Data seemed to always gravitate toward hanging out with the children everywhere he went? I'm sure the writers were gonna say it's because he had his own childlike sense of wonder, but I think that was what Michael Jackson said too

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The General posted:

Oh!

I just checked... Hero Worship (with the kid who pretends to be an android to avoid dealing with feelings) doesn't have him drinking the lube stuff, it's just "oh i can't actually taste, but i can analyze the stuff and try to guess at whether people would like it based on how it compares to other stuff"

What you're saying sounds familiar... I can't remember if we actually saw him drinking it, or if it was just a bit of background dialogue.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Weird, I figured it was from Birthright, part 1, but that's not it either.

quote:

DATA
Is there something wrong, Doctor?

BASHIR
You're breathing...

DATA
Yes. I do have a functional
respiration system. However, its
purpose is to maintain the thermal
control of my internal systems.
I am, in fact, capable of
functioning for extended periods
in a vacuum.

Bashir nods, fascinated. He reaches over and feels
Data's wrist.

BASHIR
And you have a pulse...

DATA
My circulatory system not only
produces bio-chemical lubricants,
but regulates micro-hydraulic
power.

Bashir looks impressed. They work for a moment.

DATA
(intrigued)
Most people are usually interested
in my extraordinary abilities.
How fast I can compute, my memory
capacity, how long I will live.
(beat)
But no one has ever asked me if my
hair can grow, or noticed that I
can breathe.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's Deja Q. We don't see him drink it, but he says "Although I do not require sustenance, I occasionally ingest semi-organic nutrient suspension in a silicone-based liquid medium. ... It would be more appropriate to say it is good for me, as it lubricates my bio-functions."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm pretty sure that as originally envisioned, Data was supposed to have organic (or semi-organic?) components in addition to mechanical parts.

Then later writers basically decided he's just a big beep-boop walking tin man robot.

Data being like a blade runner or alien style replicant would have been rad. Imagine data's still functional head just leaking milk and jelly all over the place.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Data uses his telescopic nipple antennae to transmit, data back to Earth!

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
i think it was this thread and not the TV IV one talking about how Polaski was a good addition to the TNG cast

except I don't think so because they tried to create the Bones -> Spock conflict between her and Data and really she just came off as bullying an autistic robot with the mentality of a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think it was in Data's day, he was telling his girlfriend about how he can eat but prefers to drink lube.

Dicky mouse posted:

That scene had the second laziest sci fi writing though; artificial tension/drama because Data can't spend 2 seconds explaining his plan to that uppity first officer or at least that he has a plan. Instead he lets the guy think that he's gonna irradiate half the ship and have a dramatic 'carry out my orders or I will find someone who can!' line, when he could have been like 'I got this, they're going to be fine, now do the thing.'