Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There absolutely should be a "Cancel Skip/Auto on phone trigger" in the options, it's the very first one on the PC version at least. I can't remember ever having a problem missing text/call triggers while skipping in S;G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I think the trigger you lot are on about specifically doesn't appear on your very first time through that scene, but it does appear on replays or if you reload a save and do it again. I remember going through that scene, seeing the ending, then going back to make the choice and being surprised when the phone trigger option appeared. The trigger then appeared again for all the other big choices though, so I suspect it might be done that way on purpose just to force people to get one of the bad ends and give them an idea of how to get the rest. Of course, I could just be misremembering, or perhaps it was a bug.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

smenj posted:

I think the trigger you lot are on about specifically doesn't appear on your very first time through that scene, but it does appear on replays or if you reload a save and do it again. I remember going through that scene, seeing the ending, then going back to make the choice and being surprised when the phone trigger option appeared. The trigger then appeared again for all the other big choices though, so I suspect it might be done that way on purpose just to force people to get one of the bad ends and give them an idea of how to get the rest. Of course, I could just be misremembering, or perhaps it was a bug.

Yes exactly

It definitely appears if you do it again but I watched my wife very carefully when she played it on a brand new save file on Vita because I saw it appeared when I played it again and I was like "did I really miss this?" but nope I didn't miss any obvious things. I hope it was on purpose honestly.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think the game pauses on each of the subsequent ones except for the first ending. I looked very specifically when my wife played it to see if I missed an obvious cue to do the thing but I didn't, it just goes right past it on your first try (no icon or anything) so I think people would have to generally be pretty astute to not get the first ending. I would be surprised if 90%+ people don't get that ending first.

I got Faris' ending first. I just kind of intuitively opened the phone to send the message I think, but its been so long that I don't really remember. I also played the JAST version, so maybe there was more indication in that version?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I dunno, it's also possible it could have gotten patched, I played it on the month of first Vita release

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I think in the Steam version it doesn't give you the trigger the first time through. I just played it last month, but I guess I might be misremembering. After the first playthrough it will pause on all the phone messages in skip mode as long as you have the option enabled.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I got Faris' ending on my first run as well.

In Umineko, this is a dumb question, but how do I turn on auto mode oh my god I can't click four times a sentence forever. Also, is it a kinetic/sound novel like Higurashi? The System menu seems like it has a lil flowchart or something in there, is it just showing which episodes you've finished/unlocked or are there choices to be made?

Also what the gently caress kind of name is "Battler"?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

Also, is it a kinetic/sound novel like Higurashi? The System menu seems like it has a lil flowchart or something in there, is it just showing which episodes you've finished/unlocked or are there choices to be made?
It's kinetic like Higurashi, yeah. The "flowchart" is a family tree showing every character in the game, along with their current status.

quote:

Also what the gently caress kind of name is "Battler"?
A rad one. :colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No idea about auto mode. It's kinetic/linear like Higurashi was, with one exception near the end. There's a character relationship chart, maybe you're just seeing that?

And it's best not to question the Ushiromiya naming conventions.

edit: Dies irae's kickstarter has 8 hours left for anyone interested. They got the Vita stretch goal after it was moved up to $200,000. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986219362/dies-irae-english-localization-project-commences

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even in the actual story Battler doesn't know what the gently caress is up with his name.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I figured out Auto Mode, it's explained on a menu screen only accessible from the main menu. A for Auto, 0-3 for speed adjustments. Kind of a pain compared to Higurashi having two separate sliders for text speed and advance speed in Auto mode, but I guess I'll make do.

e: jfc the advance speed is so slowwww even on the fastest setting, this is gonna take foreverrrrr

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 13, 2017

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I recently finished Root Letter. Kinda looking for some similar recommendations, especially on handhelds if possible.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TheManSeries posted:

So I recently finished Root Letter. Kinda looking for some similar recommendations, especially on handhelds if possible.

Which other games have you completed/own? I like DR1/2 and Code:Realize.

In unrelated news Dies Irae KS ended and they met their vita stretch goal: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986219362/dies-irae-english-localization-project-commences/posts/1783053

:cheers:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Any good reviews of Dies Irae? At first glance it seems to be like Fate but with even more focus on power levels, German, weirdos and complex world systems, and I'm not sure I like the sound of that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Redmark posted:

Any good reviews of Dies Irae? At first glance it seems to be like Fate but with even more focus on power levels, German, weirdos and complex world systems, and I'm not sure I like the sound of that.

This is the only detailed review I've found: https://gareblogs.wordpress.com/2014/07/30/vn-review-dies-irae-amantes-amentes/

Finally I can see how the pinnacle of VN storytelling fares in english.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
If it's compared to Hellsing it must be at least somewhat self-aware, which makes me more optimistic about it. Though I don't know how the heroine routes fit into that; can't imagine Hellsing going full waifu.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
From what I read somewhere it's extremely self aware. The guy was deliberately playing up chuuni tropes. Though there may be a bit of 'doing it ironically is still doing it' stuff

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I read the demo and now I love Hitler.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Alder posted:

Which other games have you completed/own? I like DR1/2 and Code:Realize.

In unrelated news Dies Irae KS ended and they met their vita stretch goal: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986219362/dies-irae-english-localization-project-commences/posts/1783053

:cheers:

I've finished DR 1 and 2, every Ace Attorney sans the new one, Root Letter, Va11-Hall-A, ROM and I'm halfway through 999. I'm kind of looking for something more down to earth or at least set in modern day?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is Va11-Hall-A good? Judging from some posts made in the steam thread a while back and the LP thread going on about the game, it seems like most people dislike or hate it, but the steam reviews seem really positive about it though that's probably not saying much.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just started and the music is really good but the writing just seems really amateurish to me so far

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Is Va11-Hall-A good? Judging from some posts made in the steam thread a while back and the LP thread going on about the game, it seems like most people dislike or hate it, but the steam reviews seem really positive about it though that's probably not saying much.
If anything, that should be a warning sign. You know what else has "overwhelmingly positive" Steam user reviews? Nekopara.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I really liked Va11-Hall-A, but it's super divisive. The biggest problem is how inconsistent the writing is. The game has really solid highs and has interesting things to say about topics like AI sentience and the cycle of grief/blame, but it doesn't know how to balance it well with some of the humor. You'll have a really touching moment or a smart conversation about AI get interrupted by lovely sex jokes. The best example of this comes from one of the main characters, Dorothy. She is a vehicle for some of the more interesting conversations about topics AI, the replacement of a lost child and is a pretty positive representation of a sex worker. This is negated by the fact that the game uses her as vessel for some of the most raunchy, unsubtle sex talk and if you think real hard about the clientele she caters to then she's an incredibly uncomfortable character to be around. All in all, I really like Va11-Hall-A, but it has loving problems and its polarizing. I'm really hoping they can get their poo poo together for the next game they do.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ryuga Death posted:

I liked it a lot, though yeah there's a lot of amateurish bits to it. It's not perfect but "group video LP that insults people who like the game" isn't exactly the best atmosphere to give a VN a fair shake, y'know.

EDIT: ^ what this guy said basically

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

TheManSeries posted:

I really liked Va11-Hall-A, but it's super divisive. The biggest problem is how inconsistent the writing is. The game has really solid highs and has interesting things to say about topics like AI sentience and the cycle of grief/blame, but it doesn't know how to balance it well with some of the humor. You'll have a really touching moment or a smart conversation about AI get interrupted by lovely sex jokes. The best example of this comes from one of the main characters, Dorothy. She is a vehicle for some of the more interesting conversations about topics AI, the replacement of a lost child and is a pretty positive representation of a sex worker. This is negated by the fact that the game uses her as vessel for some of the most raunchy, unsubtle sex talk and if you think real hard about the clientele she caters to then she's an incredibly uncomfortable character to be around. All in all, I really like Va11-Hall-A, but it has loving problems and its polarizing. I'm really hoping they can get their poo poo together for the next game they do.

dmboogie posted:

I liked it a lot, though yeah there's a lot of amateurish bits to it. It's not perfect but "group video LP that insults people who like the game" isn't exactly the best atmosphere to give a VN a fair shake, y'know.

EDIT: ^ what this guy said basically

Thanks, nice to hear something else other than the pure dislike for it. I sort of want to get it as part of the humble bundle but eh.

FractalSandwich posted:

If anything, that should be a warning sign. You know what else has "overwhelmingly positive" Steam user reviews? Nekopara.

I think any anime game on Steam with the "overwhelmingly positive" tag is a warning sign at this point. :(

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'll say this, that game holds a special place in my heart. Despite its problems, I think it has some really solid moments and I don't regret playing it. I really thought about doing a SSLP of the game because the video one was a trainwreck and I think this game is worth seeing despite the flaws it has. Grab it on steam, if the first hour doesn't do it for you then refund it. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you grab it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ryuga Death posted:

Thanks, nice to hear something else other than the pure dislike for it. I sort of want to get it as part of the humble bundle but eh.

I think any anime game on Steam with the "overwhelmingly positive" tag is a warning sign at this point. :(

Undertale and Stardew were great though

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

An opinion on a game being unanimous in the LP forum shouldn't mean anything at all, considering how ridiculously bandwagony they are.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ryuga Death posted:

I sort of want to get it as part of the humble bundle but eh.

calling VA-11 HALL-A's writing amateurish is doing it an incredible kindness, but if you really can't shake that morbid curiosity the bundle would be the best way to go

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I pre-ordered VA-11 HALL-A for $5 because I liked the OST and pixel art. Unfortunately I never completed it because of the problematic writing but I like listening to the OST anyways. The cat is cute.

Also the actual mixing drink mini game becomes very tedious since you have to click-and-drag each ingredient.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ryuga Death posted:

That's an odd tack to take tbh

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Motto posted:

That's an odd tack to take tbh

confirmed. anime ruined steam.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this, in the god drat visual novel thread

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Cake Attack posted:

this, in the god drat visual novel thread

no home for anime

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I better keep my opinions to myself. I wouldn't want anyone in the visual novel thread to know I like visual novels.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I know there has already been a lot of replies to the question about VA-11, but I'll reply with my own two cents anyway.

I really liked VA-11 Hall-A. Its nowhere near perfect, but it has a lot going for it. The soundtrack and overall atmosphere is fantastic. The writing is mediocre, but not awful like I"ve seen many people make it out to be. At the very least, its not cringeworthy or anything. Goons tend to, like most of the internet, have binary opinions on things.

It is (IMO) best played in small sittings when life is stressful. Being stressed IRL mixes well (no pun intended) with the atmosphere and mindlessness of the actual gameplay. Hearing the problems of fictional characters can be cathartic.

tl;dr It is a nice chill game/VN hybrid. If you don't go in with any expectations, it should be an enjoyable experience.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I guess I technically agree that it's not cringeworthy but of the hour or so I played, it seemed like about what you'd get from like a slightly above average student in a college creative writing class.

Like, it wasn't awful I agree and you wouldn't be like sending it to people to laugh about how bad it is, but it's just missing that sort of extra step that would take it from functional to good. It seemed like I always felt that whatever way they said things was just the first thing that came to their mind as to how to say it, if that makes sense. Not exactly cliche but just sort of all the phrasing was low-hanging fruit.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Whats wrong with vallhalla

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Stefan Prodan posted:

I guess I technically agree that it's not cringeworthy but of the hour or so I played, it seemed like about what you'd get from like a slightly above average student in a college creative writing class.

Like, it wasn't awful I agree and you wouldn't be like sending it to people to laugh about how bad it is, but it's just missing that sort of extra step that would take it from functional to good. It seemed like I always felt that whatever way they said things was just the first thing that came to their mind as to how to say it, if that makes sense. Not exactly cliche but just sort of all the phrasing was low-hanging fruit.

I actually felt this made the writing more realistic, honestly. Made the characters seem like... people in a bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
For me the problem isn't that the characters talk like people really talk, I didn't find that to be the case. It's more like it's written like most amateur writers would write, and how those amateur writers think people talk, which is a problem.