Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I had the Continental ExtremeContact DWS on my 07 STI and it was honestly the worst decision I made. They were supposed to be high quality all seasons, somewhere close to $200 per tire. Compared to actual snow tires, they loving blew, and were a pain to drive in regular conditions.

I would much rather have actual snow tires to drive in risky conditions even if it's only a few hundred miles over the life of the tires. But that's just my own opinion, I will never get all seasons ever again. They were just mediocre at everything, and killed any sort of dynamic or spirited driving in any condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Huh, there's a guy on my local WRX Facebook group offering a set of 2015 stock wheels for $500 obo. Thinking about offering 400 and throwing snows on those... Decent deal?

e: These are 17" wheels from his 2015. Will they fit in my 2016?

McSpatula posted:

During the recent storms? You'll get turned around so fast by NV/CA DOT without the proper equipment. I haven't seen a season since 08/09 that's convinced me to swap to snows yet; summers are more than fine on blue bird days, just take it easy around donner pass if the conditions require it. If you plan on making multiple trips up and don't want to risk your trip, check out scic/craigslist for used snow tires.

Well I have no intention of going up right now with 13 feet of snow or whatever and with I-80 closed. Maybe when the roads are plowed a bit more and this storm has passed.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 13, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At this point I'm wondering if I'm going to need my snow tires at all this year. It was 67 today, in Pittsburgh, in mid January.

Hell, I drove the BRZ today with summers on.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

At this point I'm wondering if I'm going to need my snow tires at all this year. It was 67 today, in Pittsburgh, in mid January.

Hell, I drove the BRZ today with summers on.
Yeah, I was pissed I threw the winter set on back in mid-November. Don't count it out yet, though. Pitt gonna Pitt.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This kind of weather is specifically why I got the AS3. Instead of needing to change around Thanksgiving, last year I was able to go until after the 1st of the year. This year, who knows.

Got 40s and 50s all next week and even when it has gotten cold, it's been dry.

I think I had the snow tires on for just over 60 days last year. If I do put them on this year at all, it will probably be under 40 days at this point.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Summer favoring all seasons with good wet grip are the answer for some of the East coast states. I put a set of Ectsa 4X II on my outback and have been impressed. I'm in central NC.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Huh, there's a guy on my local WRX Facebook group offering a set of 2015 stock wheels for $500 obo. Thinking about offering 400 and throwing snows on those... Decent deal?

e: These are 17" wheels from his 2015. Will they fit in my 2016?

Well I have no intention of going up right now with 13 feet of snow or whatever and with I-80 closed. Maybe when the roads are plowed a bit more and this storm has passed.

Yeah that or the forums will find you a set of used oem wheels. 17s will fit no problem. You can use any 15+ wrx or 05+ sti wheels. Also if you're close to tahoe, you're not that much farther from the tire rack warehouse. Although a discount tire store would probably be able to do just as well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

jamal posted:

Yeah that or the forums will find you a set of used oem wheels. 17s will fit no problem. You can use any 15+ wrx or 05+ sti wheels. Also if you're close to tahoe, you're not that much farther from the tire rack warehouse. Although a discount tire store would probably be able to do just as well.

Awesome thanks.

I asked if the dude would take 375. He countered with 380 so I'm getting the wheels tomorrow. Some high school kid that clearly wasn't versed in the art of negotiation.

Just need to research some tires now. Those Pierellis listed above looked like they got good reviews. I'll have to look up where tire rack is if it'll save me the $100 shipping.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ugh, stupid GD market has gone dry as far as manual WRXs are concerned. It's actually looking like it'd be cheaper to manual swap an auto but I don't think I'm quite that crazy. Meanwhile there's half a dozen GGs in the right spec in my price range but I'm just not a fan of wagons.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RillAkBea posted:

Ugh, stupid GD market has gone dry as far as manual WRXs are concerned. It's actually looking like it'd be cheaper to manual swap an auto but I don't think I'm quite that crazy. Meanwhile there's half a dozen GGs in the right spec in my price range but I'm just not a fan of wagons.

:frogout:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

RillAkBea posted:

I'm just not a fan of wagons.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Not that they're not perfectly lovely automobiles. :sweatdrop: I've gotten by the last two years with a Miata so all that space just seems like overkill.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
GD seats do not go down. The boot is fat but weirdly shaped and bad.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

underage at the vape shop posted:

GD seats do not go down.

This doesn't concern me an awful lot at this point in time. I live in a tiny Japanese apartment, if it won't fit in the boot of a sedan I probably don't have room for it.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

RillAkBea posted:

This doesn't concern me an awful lot at this point in time. I live in a tiny Japanese apartment, if it won't fit in the boot of a sedan I probably don't have room for it.

a bike?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Swap for Canadian GD seats.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

RillAkBea posted:

Not that they're not perfectly lovely automobiles. :sweatdrop: I've gotten by the last two years with a Miata so all that space just seems like overkill.

RillAkBea posted:

Fill the back with huge subs and drive around listening to this

https://youtu.be/SYgwnmY-LTs

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

RillAkBea posted:

That sounds like an excuse. A bad one.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
The tire-chat reminded me to ask: what kind of tires should I be looking at (if any) to handle a drive from AZ to Chicago with the car permanently living in Chicago after that? I need to check what kind of tires are on it now, but I imagine they're all-seasons. Will we die on the highway out there, or will the city take care of that for us when we arrive?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Probably 90+% of the population has only all seasons. Another set of wheels with winters is the better and safer bet, but more expensive (which is why those 90+% don't have it, and they're ignorant of tires). You're not going to do well in snow generally with all seasons but it's passable in a city like that if you use public transport. Otherwise I'd just grab another set if you're going to be commuting or traveling on heavy snowfall days.

Source: midwestern citizen.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think I've narrowed my winter tire search down to the Pierelli Sottozero 3s or Michelin Aplins? Although, my local Costco does have the Michelin X-Ice Xi3s in stock with a $70 rebate on a set of 4.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Larrymer posted:

Probably 90+% of the population has only all seasons. Another set of wheels with winters is the better and safer bet, but more expensive (which is why those 90+% don't have it, and they're ignorant of tires). You're not going to do well in snow generally with all seasons but it's passable in a city like that if you use public transport. Otherwise I'd just grab another set if you're going to be commuting or traveling on heavy snowfall days.

Awesome. Yeah we're planning on mostly taking the train and bus, and driving when necessary. Appreciate it!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Do you want performance winters, or standard studless winter tires? I'm running Continental WinterContact SIs on my Legacy GT, and they've been excellent in the Minnesota winter so far. I shopped these and the XI3s, but the Continentals were less expensive, and should still last me 3-4 seasons at least.

I'd probably run the XI3s, unless you have very mild winters. We regularly dip in the -10° to -20° range, and have lots of slushy, sleety, snowy weather, so I opted for something less performance oriented. The WinterContacts had the correct load index, and were still an H-rated tire.

Edit: If you only see snow and sub-freezing temps sporadically, and never have deep snow, the SZ3 or Pilot Alpins will be better than a normal all season without compromising your dry handling too much. They are softer than an all season, so temps above 45° will wear them faster than something like a Pilot Sport AS3+.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 13, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah it doesn't get that cold in Tahoe. I'd probably be switching them out myself for when we want to take a weekend trip up there, so I wouldn't be running them 24/7.

I just want something that'll keep me on the road and keep me from flying off the summit. The roads are fairly well-plowed most of the time, but can get pretty gnarly if there's a fresh storm.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Wrar posted:

Summer favoring all seasons with good wet grip are the answer for some of the East coast states. I put a set of Ectsa 4X II on my outback and have been impressed. I'm in central NC.

I have BFG Comp-2 A/Ss on my wrx and have been a fan. They do pretty ok for rallycross. A little snow driving in the north Georgia mountains and I didn't die, and rain grip has never been an issue. On my Miata I have BFG Sport Comp-2s and they are a very impressive tire in the rain and dry, but like any summer, they do lose their edge in the cold.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Larrymer posted:

I wouldn't even think of having two sets of tires to be more expensive beyond the upfront cost for a second set of wheels (which could just be steelies). If you're going to be driving year-round, then you're going to be wearing tires down regardless of what type they are. If you replace a set of all-seasons in however many years, that one set would be seeing twice as much use as one set of summers and another of winters each. That is to say, I'd argue that a person with two sets would be spending around the same amount over the long run (perhaps a tad more for quality tires) as someone who just used one set all of the time.

Granted, one could point out that those seasonal tires might wear a little bit faster, but isn't that a small price for far better, safer tires?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It seems like one of the first things a guy in a tire store will tell you is how long the tire will last. 50k miles! Uh, dude, I don't give a poo poo how long they last. But that is probably what the average person cares about most.

Been using hankook v12 in the summer, which are not the highest performance summers in the world but they are well priced and grip well. And then I have a new set of general altimax arctics. They have decent snow traction but a ton of tread squirm and they aren't the grippiest, highest tech snow tires in the world. Blizzak ws-80s for example have more braking grip on ice and less of a floaty feel, but cost $28 more per tire. Generals still work perfectly well in the snow and might even be a little better in deeper stuff and slush because of the bigger blocks and voids.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 13, 2017

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry

jamal posted:

It seems like one of the first things a guy in a tire store will tell you is how long the tire will last. 50k miles! Uh, dude, I don't give a poo poo how long they last. But that is probably what the average person cares about most.

Been using hankook v12 in the summer, which are not the highest performance summers in the world but they are well priced and grip well. And then I have a new set of general altimax arctics. They have decent snow traction but a ton of tread squirm and they aren't the grippiest, highest tech snow tires in the world. Blizzak ws-80s for example have more braking grip on ice and less of a floaty feel, but cost $28 more per tire. They still work perfectly well in the snow and might even be a little better in deeper stuff and slush because of the bigger blocks and voids.

I have the Blizzak WS-80s and live in Mammoth where the mtn just got 15-19ft of snow in the last week. I swear I can't tell if I'm driving on packed snow or pavement most of the time they grip so well. It's actually a challenge to get the traction control or ABS to kick in. I have bridgestone Turanzas on the oem wheels, and they suck so hard in the snow. I switch them out in November and they don't go back on until May.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Swap for Canadian GD seats.

Australia tho.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have no experience driving in snow so I picked up Blizzak ws-80s because I need all the help I can get. :v:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

They don't on the sedans but I think they might on the wagon. Could be wrong though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The cheapest winters are better than the best all seasons by a mile. I love General Altimax Artics.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I think I've narrowed my winter tire search down to the Pierelli Sottozero 3s or Michelin Aplins? Although, my local Costco does have the Michelin X-Ice Xi3s in stock with a $70 rebate on a set of 4.

What size? I think the tires I had on my last car are Alpins and I still haven't gotten around to putting them on Craigslist.

e: They are Alpins. 215/55/R17s on black 7 spoke wheels. Were on a Camry but I'm guessing the wheels will fit almost anything because they're double drilled or whatever.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 14, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Chiwie posted:

They don't on the sedans but I think they might on the wagon. Could be wrong though.

They do on the wagon but he knew what I meant I think.

E: what tires would you fellas recommend to a dude living in a snowless hot hellhole that arent semi slicks? Ive just kept putting the cheapish yokohamas the po had on and they seem ok but not great and very noisy.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 14, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

scrubs season six posted:

What size? I think the tires I had on my last car are Alpins and I still haven't gotten around to putting them on Craigslist.

e: They are Alpins. 215/55/R17s on black 7 spoke wheels. Were on a Camry but I'm guessing the wheels will fit almost anything because they're double drilled or whatever.

235/45/R17

Tire Rack only had the Alpins in 18" though I believe. I'll probably go with the Pierellis. They're like $30/tire cheaper too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

They do on the wagon but he knew what I meant I think.

E: what tires would you fellas recommend to a dude living in a snowless hot hellhole that arent semi slicks? Ive just kept putting the cheapish yokohamas the po had on and they seem ok but not great and very noisy.

There's a Khumo (KU-39 maybe? HS-51?) that is very good and well priced. Continental CCS2's werent bad either (pricey!) and there is RE-050's from Bridgestone (Pricey again). Probably the Khumos, they survived a few track days and motorkhanas fairly well. My last WRX tyres were some sort of Bridgestone track day tyre that lasted a hell of a lot longer than I expected.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Eh, nm.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 14, 2017

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There's a Khumo (KU-39 maybe? HS-51?) that is very good and well priced. Continental CCS2's werent bad either (pricey!) and there is RE-050's from Bridgestone (Pricey again). Probably the Khumos, they survived a few track days and motorkhanas fairly well. My last WRX tyres were some sort of Bridgestone track day tyre that lasted a hell of a lot longer than I expected.

Is there RE003 better than the -050? I've heard conflicting stuff.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The best bridgestone right now is the re71r. 050 and 003 are old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

235/45/R17

Tire Rack only had the Alpins in 18" though I believe. I'll probably go with the Pierellis. They're like $30/tire cheaper too.

You're in Nevada? I liked Alpins because they had okay snow performance but way better wet/dry performance than harder core snow tires (like Blizzaks). Which makes sense for Nevada (at least where I drive). The Alpins saved my nuts at least one time. Was on a 100% snow covered road but it was straight and not hard packed so my speed crept up to 50ish and then there was a blind turn. Thought for sure I was going straight into the ditch but the Alpins and some stability control kept me on the road.

I'm guessing the Pirellis are similar.