Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Azuth0667 posted:

Hopefully it has more than 2 bosses.

Champion's Gravetender shouldn't even count as a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Internet Kraken posted:

Champion's Gravetender shouldn't even count as a boss.

If it weren't for the wolf I'd agree with you.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think the time you fight the big wolf alongside a bunch of little wolves was way tougher. Gravetender is a freakin joke.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Gobblecoque posted:

I think the time you fight the big wolf alongside a bunch of little wolves was way tougher. Gravetender is a freakin joke.

I stuck to the sides while exploring finding the Follower's Javelin. The wolf right before this little pass calls all the wolves in the level if you take more than 1 swing to kill it, so I had already killed the little wolves before facing the big one. I refused to fight it in the second encounter, where you get ambushed on a little path, since I had no Estus left from clearing Viking Town.

I knew the ambush was coming due to this:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/108480456634687651/9839110777F69E892318E829A74829E9F593040C/

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Maleh-Vor posted:

I stuck to the sides while exploring finding the Follower's Javelin. The wolf right before this little pass calls all the wolves in the level if you take more than 1 swing to kill it, so I had already killed the little wolves before facing the big one. I refused to fight it in the second encounter, where you get ambushed on a little path, since I had no Estus left from clearing Viking Town.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/108480456634687651/9839110777F69E892318E829A74829E9F593040C/

It happened to me aswell when the DLC came out, I spotted the wolves up there and I knew that I had to fight the big wolf again so I just ran for it with the cat ring just in case there was a cliff or something. It turned to be a good idea.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been playing through the dlc again and while they're not as good as the Onyx Blade or whatever else, the javelins are insanely fun and really satisfying when you nail someone mid attack and stagger them.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
First time through and while Gravetender wasn't a particularly difficult boss I enjoyed the fight either way. Probably ought to have a bit more HP just so he isn't so easy to R2 to death when he summons the wolf in, or just summon the wolf in slightly earlier. More importantly I have found that the slave knight leggings and the follower helm really make my outfit pop.

eSportseXpert fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 11, 2017

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Guillermus posted:

It happened to me aswell when the DLC came out, I spotted the wolves up there and I knew that I had to fight the big wolf again so I just ran for it with the cat ring just in case there was a cliff or something. It turned to be a good idea.

I was running through the DLC on another character a couple weeks ago and the wolves were still sleeping in the air like that on this guy.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

Gravetender himself definitely, wolf phase 2 took me a few tries though. I went into the DLC with a soul-level 63/+7 weapon character though, I imagine someone with +10 and higher stats could kill it during its breath-attack, but I definitely had no chance of that

I do find it a bit weird that the Gravetender is basically perfect difficulty around that level of power, while Friede herself is a real pain if you're not decently strong (I leveled to like 78 and got myself a +10 before beating her).

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Even just farting around at 104 with the witch locks I just destroy people if I land a fireball on them. Also a lot of people don't know how to deal with a kiting weapon.

Yeah, Witch's Locks is a fantastic pyro weapon. The weapon art catches people off-guard and does a ton of damage and whips can't be parried.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Maleh-Vor posted:

If I remember correctly, that's the same wolf as the boss encounter so all damage done to it when it jumps you in the forest carries over to the boss fight. Just like when Freja jumps you early in NG+ Dark Souls 2.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Since I made that post it's been a parade of people who can dodge the weapon art.

Friede is designed to be coop fought so she's crazy hard alone.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Maybe it's because i went into the DLC blind at ng+2 but Gravetender wolf's phase 2 dashing is wrecking my poo poo

granted, not quite Fume Knight/Sir Alonne territory

Friede is fun as hell though and i've been aching for a badass 1v2 fight for a while. Not the biggest fan of the staging tho

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 12, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The 1v2 part of Friede's fight is a complete joke though. Ariandel's moves are all atrociously designed. They are slow and most of them don't hit behind him. So its super easy to bait out something harmless and then get tons of free hits in. Then he'll get staggered for a riposte and that's over half the bosses health gone in like 10 seconds. Its only hard if Friede actually stays close to him and tries to melee you, but her AI favors standing far away and spamming the ice wave. They don't work together at all.

Really would of preferred it if the two were separate fights that were better designed. Phase 1 Friede is great and was all I think she needed to be. Phase 3 isn't really anything special, just another twirly NPC with fire.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Phase 1 only Friede would be way too easy I think, because although it's a really cool fight, once you figure out how to counter her invisibility you can punish it with a backstab or charge attack consistently and the rest of her moves aren't too tough to learn.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just shoot her with an arrow at the start of phase 1 and even if she goes invisible you'll see the arrow hanging.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
95% of the time you can just turn the camera when you see her start her jump and you'll see exactly where she lands anyway. And the other 5% is mostly covered by her crashing into something like a dumbass.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Insurrectionist posted:

95% of the time you can just turn the camera when you see her start her jump and you'll see exactly where she lands anyway. And the other 5% is mostly covered by her crashing into something like a dumbass.

Also since her invisibility is proximity-based, you can generally just run right in the direction she seemed to jump and she'll just be standing there walking slowly while you just run up behind her for a backstab, which is generally pretty hilarious. It would be a lot more challenging if she didn't take like 3 seconds of walking before starting up her charge attack, giving you almost 7 seconds to find her before she does her attack, which still has an audio queue and is relatively easy to dodge once you know to roll spam in circles like a madman once the unsheathing sound plays.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Well of course you can break down the mechanics and behaviors of all bosses, none of them are really that complex or multi-layered on paper. Being able to learn ways around boss moves via tells or safe spots doesn't make them worse; it's kind of the whole rewarding thing of dark souls.

I think phase 3 Blackflame Friede is up there with my favorite fights like Artorias or Alonne, phase 2 is a decent implementation of managing a slow and a fast enemy to separate them (although the large arena makes it easier than OnS and relies less on getting one of them stuck in geometry). I'm sure neither of those similarities are accidental, so i'm pretty optimistic about the last DLC.

I even enjoyed phase 1 as she's super fun to learn initially, though i wish she was a distinct pre-boss bossfight instead of a mandatory intro delaying every attempt. I guess that's why the bonfire is right there, at least.

Maybe playing solo without summons isn't intended (considering the npc phantom), but so far my only complaint is that there isn't more of it. Yet.

e: I've sunbro'd her with up to 4 other summons and yeah that's a silly messy brawl that plays nothing like the solo fight. Still hilarious tho

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I recently got a new PC and have finally started playing this game. Really enjoying it so far, but I'm running into a weird issue once in a while when I'm getting summoned. Sometimes, right after getting summoned, the game just freezes. I have to kill the game through the task manager because it just won't respond to anything, even after waiting for about a minute. Every single time afterwards I've restarted the game, put down my sign again and I get summoned with no problem. It's happened 4 times to me so far in maybe 30+ summons, so it's rare, but just common enough to be annoying.

I saw some old threads when I was looking into this, but haven't seen any solution so far.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I started a new playthrough at first just to try the DLC, but in NG+ I have been doing a lot of PVP in the 90s. Usually as a purple phantom, since it's the only faction I had never tried before.

Everyone dies to Yhorm's Machete in two hits. It's the best.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

asio posted:

When I finger myself in the woods I summon Hodrick to help with invaders. He just goes after whoevers closest like a true purple (not like those wannabes invading in pontiff that "join" "teams"). He takes a ton of hits but his flamberge wipes out everything and is completely oblivious to sticking to one target, so he usually lasts longer than anyone else. Hodrick + crabs are way better than summoning players. Blue auto summons don't count because they're basically free kills for an invader (and for hodrick, how did you not learn how to dodge his move set from undead settlement??).

Most stressful is trying to keep the two outside the swamp ladder alive for extra (seeded) distractions, wish they took a few more hits before going down (or if they respawned).

On a related note I've had quite a few rookie watchdogs get killed by Heysel when she invades. She either doesn't look very hard or just walks super slow if you trigger her invasion and run somewhere far. Watchdogs will be searching for me and end up taking a few heavy Farron darts to the back.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Beat Dancer for the first time last night. What an absolute bitch. The sheer amount of different attack patterns was really throwing me off.

...loved the fight though, really atmospheric

:darksouls:

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.

Freaksaus posted:

I recently got a new PC and have finally started playing this game. Really enjoying it so far, but I'm running into a weird issue once in a while when I'm getting summoned. Sometimes, right after getting summoned, the game just freezes. I have to kill the game through the task manager because it just won't respond to anything, even after waiting for about a minute. Every single time afterwards I've restarted the game, put down my sign again and I get summoned with no problem. It's happened 4 times to me so far in maybe 30+ summons, so it's rare, but just common enough to be annoying.

I saw some old threads when I was looking into this, but haven't seen any solution so far.

Might have something to do with the driver you're using (if you're running nvidia) or with the default settings that nvidia suggests. Lots of people are having issues.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Some rumors being reported by the Christian Post (???) that DS3 dlc 2 will take place in Londor.
http://www.christianpost.com/news/dark-souls-3-dlc-rumors-next-expansion-pack-may-take-players-to-the-land-of-hollows-172864/

Who knows.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

Some rumors being reported by the Christian Post (???) that DS3 dlc 2 will take place in Londor.
http://www.christianpost.com/news/dark-souls-3-dlc-rumors-next-expansion-pack-may-take-players-to-the-land-of-hollows-172864/

Who knows.

They're late to that. All the usual sites have been "reporting" on this cause of some stuff Sanadsk found in the game's files (namely a number of mentions to a "DLC2" being referred to as "the city of the dead" in Japanese).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DLC2 should be Ruins of Yharnam. You find a body with a saw cleaver stuck in the head and when you approach to get it a lesser amygdala ports you to Yharnam.

Jokes aside, I'd be totally fine with Londor.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean after the DLCs focus on Friede, the last DLC being in Londor isn't hard to predict. There's a clear focus on the 3 sisters of the Sable Church, and the third is said to still be in Londor.

Too bad they wasted a DLC revisiting a location that wasn't important.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Guillermus posted:

DLC2 should be Ruins of Yharnam. You find a body with a saw cleaver stuck in the head and when you approach to get it a lesser amygdala ports you to Yharnam.

oh my god we're finally getting the Bloodborne PC port aren't we

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Internet Kraken posted:

Too bad they wasted a DLC revisiting a location that wasn't important.

Only fitting after wasting the base game revisiting locations that aren't important. :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

oh my god we're finally getting the Bloodborne PC port aren't we

We are not.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
We're getting Bloodborne on the PC along with Demon's Souls ported to the Switch.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Londor seems like such a boring place that I'm not surprised it's going to end up being the location of the second DLC.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Londor seems like such a boring place that I'm not surprised it's going to end up being the location of the second DLC.

Don't give up skeleton!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Why didn't/couldn't they bring back the "This area has a lot of people near your level doing things" red rings

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Finally killed Friede on NG+. Helped a buddy take her down in co-op and figured it was time for another whack at it.

Came out of phase two with full health and estus thanks to a few lucky backstabs and an NPC summon.

Ended phase 3 with no estus and half health. :shepface: Fight's... kinda hard!

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

hanales posted:

Why didn't/couldn't they bring back the "This area has a lot of people near your level doing things" red rings

Shhh... do not speak of innovations from the forbidden game!

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I just realized it's possible to turn Irina into a firekeeper before Eygon visits the shrine. Did anyone do this yet? Does he have different dialogue?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What, if any, effect does getting my physical resistances into negative numbers have? I equipped my lightest armor in every slot, if only to have SOMETHING there, and equipped Flynn's Ring, Carthus Bloodring, Carthus Milkring, and Farron Ring, and my physical resistances are like negative-8-point-something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Annath posted:

What, if any, effect does getting my physical resistances into negative numbers have? I equipped my lightest armor in every slot, if only to have SOMETHING there, and equipped Flynn's Ring, Carthus Bloodring, Carthus Milkring, and Farron Ring, and my physical resistances are like negative-8-point-something.

You take more damage.