Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bleach has some strong hate because it had a decent start as an enjoyable monster of the week sort of thing, had one decent ish arc, and then rehashed that arc until it got cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Both have very strong starts. Naruto takes a lot longer to run out of steam. Bleach jumps the shark over and over. I actually finished Naruto.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

eonwe posted:

i need to read some bleach just to get the jokes . Bleach and Naruto are the two most popular anime I've never read or looked into period.

Tbf, you're really not missing anything. Bleach at it's best was a sort of slice of life supernatural show that was pretty great and at least helps understand just how it declined in quality so rapidly.

Naruto at its best was a bad attempt at copying Jojo's. Give people specific niche powers which require clever use and have smart play counter them. Have the protagonist win by... punching really, really hard.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

eonwe posted:

i need to read some bleach just to get the jokes . Bleach and Naruto are the two most popular anime I've never read or looked into period.

Nah neither are worth starting to read.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Naruto at its best was a bad attempt at copying Jojo's. Give people specific niche powers which require clever use and have smart play counter them. Have the protagonist win by... punching really, really hard.

http://i.imgur.com/TElg5WV.mp4

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Tbf, you're really not missing anything. Bleach at it's best was a sort of slice of life supernatural show that was pretty great and at least helps understand just how it declined in quality so rapidly.

Eh it's closer to copying HXH. The Chuunin Exam is pretty clearly inpired by the Hunter Exam.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kild posted:

Eh it's closer to copying HXH. The Chuunin Exam is pretty clearly inpired by the Hunter Exam.

Also Sasuke is just a combination of the worst aspects of Killua and Kurapika.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Naruto is fine until it turns out the under achieving protagonist who has been getting ahead through pure hard work is actually Ninja royalty and the demon inside him was specifically designed to help him out.

It wasn't the greatest or anything, but it was ok fun until the story goes down the Sharingan hole and Naruto turns out to be Double Ninja Jesus.

Lazy Batman is still great.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 13, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kild posted:

I had to look this up just to double check and Naruto started in 1997 while HxH started in 1998 so this would be some really on the spot copying if so

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
It's not like Tournament Arcs weren't a shonen staple well before Naruto or HxH or anything.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's not like Tournament Arcs weren't a shonen staple well before Naruto or HxH or anything.

I wouldn't call either of them tournaments arcs.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Just for the record the big three of shonen jump is a western thing, so I doubt it was a deliberate reference.

That shopped pic is great though. Props to the /a/ dude who made it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

quote:

ADTRW › My Hero Academia: Someone is sauske after all

Kek.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah hasn't Bleach been irrelevant for years?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Yeah hasn't Bleach been irrelevant for years?

They ceased production of the manga in August 2016, ending on a bit of a somber personal note from the author. The anime stopped in 2012.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Gyges posted:

Naruto is fine until it turns out the under achieving protagonist who has been getting ahead through pure hard work is actually Ninja royalty and the demon inside him was specifically designed to help him out.

It wasn't the greatest or anything, but it was ok fun until the story goes down the Sharingan hole and Naruto turns out to be Double Ninja Jesus.

the sharingan hole sucked until it got to the guy who used an arm covered in eyes to rewrite reality at will, but it went back to sucking after that scene

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

the sharingan hole sucked until it got to the guy who used an arm covered in eyes to rewrite reality at will, but it went back to sucking after that scene

Sharingarm was just stupid enough to actually be kind of cool.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Vengarr posted:

I wouldn't bother, frankly. They're real bad and most references to them are very shallow surface-level stuff.

Counterpoint: One Piece is actually very good.

Edit: (by WSJ standards)

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Crazyeyes posted:

Counterpoint: One Piece is actually very good.

Edit: (by WSJ standards)

I think he was talking about Naruto and bleach? Maybe? I'm not too sure, actually. IGNORE ME.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fabricated posted:

We have in SMASH.

That's pretty much what I expected.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ok, I will not read bleach or naruto

i got like past skypeia for one piece and I got really bored and stopped caring about the plot

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

eonwe posted:

i got like past skypeia for one piece and I got really bored and stopped caring about the plot

Well, you've probably had enough of the big 3, then. The rest of us had too much.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
one piece is good
naruto is okay but has some real bad rough patches
bleach is bad after the soul society arc but has occasional bright spots

that's my take thanks for reading

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

eonwe posted:

Yeah, I dropped off One Piece during Skypia for pretty much the same reason. Then, years later, I saw a GIF of Luffy gently pushing a zombie back into his grave and saying "There, there..." and I jumped back on so I could see that in context.

And buddy? Let me tell you, One Piece is good.

You and I seriously dropped off right before the best arc of the series, and the "drop off" after that can hardly be called a drop off. It stays real drat good up until - arguably - the Dressrosa arc. I highly recommend getting back into it. Preferably the manga.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

They ceased production of the manga in August 2016, ending on a bit of a somber personal note from the author. The anime stopped in 2012.

What did the author say? What could he say?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Bleach is the only manga that ended with me feeling genuinely angry at the author for wasting my time.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
One Piece is good for a really long time then basically hits the top of the rollercoaster at Enies Lobby and continues downhill from there at varying speeds.

Bleach opens strong and has a spectacular major arc in the Soul Society arc and then it is really really bad after that.

Naruto readers will debate when it fell off but IMO it became garbage at the Sasuke Retrieval Arc. There's a reason that everyone keeps joking about "Who's the Sasuke?" with BnHA because basically that's the manga world's "Jump The Shark" event: Going Sasuke.

So far, BnHA has not hit its nadir, and I dread the inevitable dud arc we'll get at some point because pretty much all manga have a bad arc or two.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

lowercase16 posted:

Yeah, I dropped off One Piece during Skypia for pretty much the same reason. Then, years later, I saw a GIF of Luffy gently pushing a zombie back into his grave and saying "There, there..." and I jumped back on so I could see that in context.

You and I seriously dropped off right before the best arc of the series, and the "drop off" after that can hardly be called a drop off. It stays real drat good up until - arguably - the Dressrosa arc. I highly recommend getting back into it. Preferably the manga.

I wasn't a fan of dressrosa, but I'm a fan of this current arc. It's great.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CubeTheory posted:

Bleach is the only manga that ended with me feeling genuinely angry at the author for wasting my time.

People talk about Naruto being bad, but Naruto is actually pretty decent/normal for a shounen series and wasn't really anything I'd call bad (by those standards) until the last arc (and I'd actually say it was significantly above average for its first few arcs). Bleach, on the other hand, became genuinely all-around bad, even when measured against other shounen battle manga. Everything post-Aizen (and even a lot of stuff before that) was genuinely terrible, and the last arc was so bad I was amazed that it even managed to be published.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I wasn't a fan of dressrosa, but I'm a fan of this current arc. It's great.

Agreed. It's arguably the closest Oda has come to topping Enies Lobby.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea skypiea is like right before the best segment of one piece. it's awesome for a long time after that until it finally stumbles, but its been great again for the past year. naruto goes off the rails but bleach never had any to begin with. it's like the author runs out of steam and gives up. the ending is such an incredible shitshow, but honestly it's probably better for being cancelled than it would have been if kubo'd been allowed to drag it out for another year. it's incredible how little actually happens in a chapter of bleach

mha isn't as far in as either naruto or bleach were when they started dropping in quality, but I think it's been better about most things than either of those were at this point of the story. reading early bleach in particular makes you see a lot of problems with the writing and how kubo just doubled down instead of getting better

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I have no idea what Bleach guy was thinking when he made hollows pretty cool and then basically ignored them forever. Soul Society was a good enough arc but it was the beginning of the end for hollows being interesting and then after the shitshow of the hueco mundo arc they were basically not even relevant anymore.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Bleach is pretty bad, but Tite Kubo had a really antagonistic relationship with Jump and I really don't blame him for checking out after Soul Society.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neo_Crimson posted:

Bleach is pretty bad, but Tite Kubo had a really antagonistic relationship with Jump and I really don't blame him for checking out after Soul Society.

This is new to me. I've heard that Togashi got locked in his hotel room by his editor or something, but never about anything between Jump and Kubo. What happened?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

This is new to me. I've heard that Togashi got locked in his hotel room by his editor or something, but never about anything between Jump and Kubo. What happened?

This video explains it better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACq7tgjHdGA

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm just going to leave this here:

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Neo_Crimson posted:

This video explains it better than I can:

I just discovered Eyepatch and devoured all his videos. He's pretty good.

Maybe he should do a MHA vid HINT HINT

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lowercase16 posted:

well balls. ill pick it up then.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's kinda nice to read Naruto / Bleach because you read this manga and you see all the lessons (or just good writing in general, sure) the author got from watching those trainwrecks. It builds an appreciation for how shonen can be entertaining or incredibly, truly miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
One Piece had a slow start, a truly stupendous arc, and then it's been all the same level of pretty decent.

Bleach was amazing, and then it was dumb and samey for the rest of its run.

Naruto is the one that went on a roller coaster. From good to great to mediocre to a multiyear death plunge where it actively got worse and worse without recourse.

My Hero Academia is better than all three.