Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

I don't really care for David Lynch. It's ok, throw fruit at me, I understand.

Me neither. Blue Velvet & Mulholland Drive are okay, Elephant Man is good. I've tried a few times to get into Twin Peaks and just can't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Me neither. Blue Velvet & Mulholland Drive are okay, Elephant Man is good. I've tried a few times to get into Twin Peaks and just can't do it.
Man, I was really psyched for Twin Peaks and yeah, didn't end up liking it much. That's more on my expectations than anything else though - I was expecting much more of the supernatural elements, as those are generally what leaked into popular culture from it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Lost Highway is my fav Lynch

It also gave me a bone when i was 13 and watched it for the first time (so im biased)

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 14, 2017

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I love Hopper's performance in Blue Velvet but kinda get bored when he's not on screen. It doesn't do a lot for me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wouldn't call myself a Lynch fanatic or anything but I really like whenever he makes something new. Blue Velvet and Lost Highway are his only works I've seen more than once, but that's more because I don't want the actual details of his films to interfere with my emotional reaction and memory of them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's amazing how well this scare works because by all accounts, it really shouldn't. The make-up looks incredibly silly, it takes place in broad daylight, and the film flat-out tells you what's going to happen. It's almost like an anti jump scare. And yet, so many people find it absolutely terrifying.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Also, i could never get into Twin Peaks either, even tho one of my fav marilyn manson songs is about it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Lost Highway is my fav Lynch

It also gave me a bone when i was 13 and watched it for the first time (so im biased)

I can't believe I have to say this

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Also, i could never get into Twin Peaks either, even tho one of my fav marilyn manson songs is about it

I assume you mean Lost Highway and which (that soundtrack in general rules)

Edit: misread "about" as "in" somehow. IGNORE ME

With Lynch my first experience with him was Mulholland Drive and I HATED it which put me off him for years. I rewatched it recently and loved it though so my tastes have changed a lot since then

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I can't believe I have to say this

Look man, i was very confused about it myself

*and ya, i was talking about Wrapped in Plastic, but the Lost Highway soundtrack does own

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 14, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Here's the video where Trump talks about Citizen Kane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a63ymFn6nS0

It was earlier footage from when Errol Morris was planning on making

http://errolmorris.com/content/aborted/projects_donald.html posted:

The Movie Movie, an aborted project, is based on the idea of taking Donald Trump, Mikhail Gorbachev and others and putting them in the movies they most admire. Isn't it possible that in an alternative universe Donald Trump actually starred in Citizen Kane?
and reused for an Academy Awards presentation or something like that i cant remember

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I assume you mean Lost Highway and which (that soundtrack in general rules)

Edit: misread "about" as "in" somehow. IGNORE ME

With Lynch my first experience with him was Mulholland Drive and I HATED it which put me off him for years. I rewatched it recently and loved it though so my tastes have changed a lot since then

Lost Highway soundtrack is Dope AF

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'm about halfway through Gymkata and why does it have such a bad reputation this owns

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Glamorama26 posted:

I don't really care for David Lynch. It's ok, throw fruit at me, I understand.

I'm hit and miss on Lynch. I loving adore Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead and The Elephant Man, but for a couple of specific reasons I can't do Wild at Heart or Lost Highway, Fire Walk with Me is a weird-rear end mess, and Inland Empire is self-indulgent bullshit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm about halfway through Gymkata and why does it have such a bad reputation this owns

I love how it's so much weirder than just its premise suggests.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Eraserhead is the scariest movie I've ever seen but it's such a personal experience I don't recommend it much.

I'll be doing a project in the future that requires watching the full Lynch filmography and I can't wait. Still haven't seen Wild at heart, Straight Story or that one everyone hates with Laura Dern.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Lynch has never done anything wrong in his entire weird life.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Slugworth posted:

Man, I was really psyched for Twin Peaks and yeah, didn't end up liking it much. That's more on my expectations than anything else though - I was expecting much more of the supernatural elements, as those are generally what leaked into popular culture from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmKuFV4dFL8

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

And of course Fritz Lang's version of Das Rheingold/Die Niebelungen is loving awesome.

That reminds me, did anyone else see Tale of Tales? Finally caught it the other day and it's pretty wild, kinda reminded me of Die Niebelungen meets Pasolini's Canterbury Tales.

Yes, and it owns. It's one of the vanishingly rare fairy tale movies that actually feels like a fairy tale instead of sanitizing it to death or trying to substitute mere ugliness for grotesquerie.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Lynch has never done anything wrong in his entire weird life.

He was a recurring voice actor on The Cleveland Show

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Glamorama26 posted:

He was a recurring voice actor on The Cleveland Show

...Lynch has done one thing wrong.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fire Walk With Me is a slow burn, but it adds to how haunting it is. I really like it, but I can understand why people wouldn't, especially if they're going in expecting the show's wackiness.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Even though they've denied it, I'm still hoping the mystery midnight screening I bought tickets to at Sundance ends up being for Twin Peaks.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Feature length version of the procedure

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

...Lynch has done one thing wrong.

I appreciate you accepting the truth and may God have mercy on us all

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

Feature length version of the procedure

I'd be so down for that

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I didn't know about the Cleveland Show thing, but his stint on Louie probably makes up for it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I didn't know about the Cleveland Show thing, but his stint on Louie probably makes up for it.

I'm wondering how they could mess that premise up, and I have the feeling that the answers are obvious and that I still don't want to know.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, from what I've seen Lynch is by far the best part of the Cleveland Show, it's just that that statement is pretty much meaningless

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

To be fair, from what I've seen Lynch is by far the best part of the Cleveland Show, it's just that that statement is pretty much meaningless

He's the best part of an eye infection basically.

His participation in that is so strange. Like Christ, be on American Dad at least.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Here's the video where Trump talks about Citizen Kane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a63ymFn6nS0

It was earlier footage from when Errol Morris was planning on making

and reused for an Academy Awards presentation or something like that i cant remember

I have finally found a meaning for Make America Great Again: Let's go back to the time when greedy shitbags like this couldn't even get elected governor and died alone in their decrepit mansions pining over a loving sled.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I wish more gigantic-budget sci-fi movies looked like Minority Report. The washed out, the bright, the blue tint, the 70s horror feel of the precogs visions, it's so much more interesting than boring-rear end looking movies like *insert non-Zack Snyder superhero movie here* or *insert Star Franchise movie here*. I watched the second half of Minority Report after Rogue One tonight (I watched the first half last night) and oh my god it's like night and day and Minority Report is 15 loving years old. I know I've made this exact post, but it's my favorite Spielberg. and the best use of Tom Cruise. His height, his intensity, his love for running.

Valerian looks dope, but it kinda goes in the opposite direction.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

weekly font posted:

I would give up IPAs forever if I could get a steady supply of sour and gose on the east coast.

Northwestern boy here and IPA literally flows in my veins lol

e: gotta have my hopsssssssss

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I watched Alien the other night for the billionth time and it's staggering how vibrant and alive it looks compared to your current day sci fi/horror/films in general. Not everything needs a tint of color.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Glamorama26 posted:

I watched Alien the other night for the billionth time and it's staggering how vibrant and alive it looks compared to your current day sci fi/horror/films in general. Not everything needs a tint of color.

I know in my heart this is true but the movies I love the most visually all look almost garishly colorful (see: Minority Report, Scott Pilgrim, Spring Breakers, Drive/Only God Forgives/Neon Demon, The Films of Zack Snyder). If I were to ever make a movie it would be so neon that Refn would tell me to tone it down.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Rollerball is pretty close to being great but some of the scenes between the games drag real bad.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
They Shoot Horses Don't They is incredible.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

I know in my heart this is true but the movies I love the most visually all look almost garishly colorful (see: Minority Report, Scott Pilgrim, Spring Breakers, Drive/Only God Forgives/Neon Demon, The Films of Zack Snyder). If I were to ever make a movie it would be so neon that Refn would tell me to tone it down.

I love Refn and I think he does what he does well. Argento is a top 3 all time for me and he throws color everywhere, unlike the dull blue hue you'd get in Underworld or whatever.

You gotta know what you're doing is all. Garish is awesome if it fits, not if its just done artlessly for a visual.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
gently caress that do whatever you want

edit:

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I agree with that too, but do it well is all.

• Locked thread