Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Linguica posted:

I was at the Apple Store today right when they brought out the 1 (one) pair of AirPods they got in to sell. I was tempted to buy them just to try and flip them but I refrained

did a flashing blue light start going off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Wheany posted:

and the facebook app itself will just straight-up lie in the notifications. "you have 1 new message and 9 notifications", then the number of notifications increases by one every 12 hours or so

when you open the app, there are no notifications and no messages. except maybe "do you know <some person you've never heard of>"

$some_asshole replied to a topic on $some_group_you_never_post_in and 5 other notifications

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If you live in Scandinavia and want a social life you're basically tied to facebook unless you only want to associate with people at work.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Millstone posted:

$some_asshole replied to a topic on $some_group_you_never_post_in and 5 other notifications

carry on then posted:

<your grand aunt> posted for the first time in a while!

both of these :tizzy:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

echinopsis posted:

facebook messenger is essential if you have *any* kind of social life whatsoever outside of the hyper nerds you met during your loser uni days

echinopsis posted:

welp anyway where i live it's the defacto way to talk to someone or group chat, probably coz virtually everyone has a facebook and so boom ready to communicate. don't need to share phone number or join another platform

wasn't talking about making facebook events although that's still totally a thing

these are true facts

just don't install the facebook.ipa, it's poo poo and spammy

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

bump_fn posted:

i like how imessages works between phone and computer does that count as online

i will say that imessages has basically replaced facebook and other social networking for the 8 people i actually want to share dank memes with without alerting everyone at work that i saw a funny piece of graffiti today that says "butts lol" or whatever.

but when they actually go and try to make an online social thing, well, remember ping?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ha

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my boyfriend smashed his S6 edge and got an iphone so im v glad I don't have to use FB messenger all the time anymore but I still keep it around for those people i know irl but don't have their phone number or they have anroids

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

THC posted:

my boyfriend smashed his S6 edge and got an iphone so im v glad I don't have to use FB messenger all the time anymore but I still keep it around for those people i know irl but don't have their phone number or they have anroids

Why would you want to talk to people with Androids?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

lol if you have a social network outside of yospos

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

Why would you want to talk to people with Androids?

all those cool underground parties and indie art shows are generally put on by younger people who don't have a lot of money

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

yes facebook is used for promoting events, thats not exactly a controversial stance and a weird one for tori to oppose.

maybe not chic clubs or whatever but pretty much every beer and wine tasting festival and other things that facebook-era people do is on there.

lol yeah all the chic clubs in loving pittsburgh

ufarn
May 30, 2009
and then everyone stood up and clapped

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/819990077442928640

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

THC posted:

all those cool underground parties and indie art shows are generally put on by younger people who don't have a lot of money

Why would people with limited money waste it on an Android

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

young poor people don't always make the best choices

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it's a moot point, they all have iphones regardless of income

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Why would people with limited money waste it on an Android

so you can install Plasma Mobile on it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

C.H.O.M.E posted:

the first air was good because it lit a fire under the rest of the industry to make better small/thin laptops and proved that people would pay for portability when everyone else only made cheap netbooks as their small/thin laptops.

lenovo and dell both made high quality ultraportables with metal chassis and poo poo long before apple did. of course they cost like $3,000 so only business users bought them

the mba was kinda lovely but it was at least an interesting set of compromises that made it possible to offer an ultraportable at a consumer-friendly price point

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Boiled Water posted:

If you live in Scandinavia and want a social life you're basically tied to facebook unless you only want to associate with people at work.

is that why the suicide rate is so high there

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Boiled Water posted:

gently caress

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
ugh facebook chat is making this thread bad

I just want to talk about timb dongle

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

WilWheaton posted:

ugh facebook chat is making this thread bad

I just want to talk about timb dongle

is facebook chat your posting

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
facebook messenger is a software dongle for facebook

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

the google plus application, the yospos of social networking, is a piece of poo poo. google hangouts is rear end sweat. how does google make money 💰?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
secret google wave deployments

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
what is a salim merchant

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

been catching up to this thread

notorious bsd, what laptop did you end up buying? genuinly curius since you didn't seem to want an xps

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lenovo and dell both made high quality ultraportables with metal chassis and poo poo long before apple did. of course they cost like $3,000 so only business users bought them

the mba was kinda lovely but it was at least an interesting set of compromises that made it possible to offer an ultraportable at a consumer-friendly price point

they only cost that because getting down to apple's costs would have actually required investment in cnc metal fabs and non-modular hardware. I'm sure it was suggested at at Lenovo and dell, but then just went with wildly expensive boutique one-offs for the participation trophy

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

xtremely pos thirteen

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theflyingexecutive posted:

they only cost that because getting down to apple's costs would have actually required investment in cnc metal fabs and non-modular hardware. I'm sure it was suggested at at Lenovo and dell, but then just went with wildly expensive boutique one-offs for the participation trophy

the mba was riddled with seriously poo poo compromises to hit the number
  • crap tn screen
  • slow chip
  • no ram

after the mba came out, lenovo started offering crap versions of the x-series with similarly ugly compromises and a much nicer price point

dell and lenovo just didn't imagine consumers would want lovely versions of their business ultraportables

--

p.s. the cnc milling used in dubiously profitable products like iwatch or the mba was long ago paid for. apple is a cnc milling company that incidentally makes consumer electronics. it's presumably always going to be cheaper for them to use that gear than not use it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Had a minor problem with my MBP so I took it to the Apple Store and they shipped it from southern California to Texas, fixed it there, shipped it back, and had it in my hands in less than 48 hours

*raises arms to sky* I LOVE LOGISTICS

ufarn
May 30, 2009
there's apparently a magnet in the airpod case that wipes cheap card magnet strips like hotel keys, if you keep them in the same pocket

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

yeah that seems obvious, though, be careful about putting magnets in your pockets.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
you mean magnets can erase magstripe cards?! apple status = doomed

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

only very badly made or cheap magstripe cards, your visa is fine

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i mean isnt that also advice for cheap cards and earbuds or headphones too?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the xps 15 9550 with the 4k monitor finally got flicker free with the last bios update, so those of you who got that macbook replacer should update

for me that was the last xps 15 quality issue, so now the thing is working nicely

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
meanwhile the new MacBook has been fuckerfree since release because only virgins have purchased one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

meanwhile the new MacBook has been fuckerfree since release because only virgins have purchased one

i happen to know a liquid playboy who fucks and who also has the new touchbar pro

corncobbed again

• Locked thread