Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Light fusion engines will be an IS game changer by themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Q_res posted:

Clan Mechs are going to be the Mad Cat Mk II and the Locust IIC.

gently caress if I know what the IS will be.

Fafnir

Hope you like 50-point pinpoint alphas

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
gently caress, you're right, it'll be the Fafnir.

What's the other one, the Rakshasa?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
3060s means IS omnimechs.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well, that's not a particularly long list. Especially if you assume they skip the Blackjack and Centurion Omni's, to avoid confusion.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Cease, in all these weapon descriptions you forgot one.

Melee. :smith:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Q_res posted:

Well, that's not a particularly long list. Especially if you assume they skip the Blackjack and Centurion Omni's, to avoid confusion.

The Centurion Omni is 32nd century so I don't think it's on the table anyway. As for the Blackjack Omni and Firestarter Omni, they could just be named that. It's not like PGI has worried too much about confusion between, say, the Hunchback and Hunchback IIC.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I didn't realize how late the Cent Omni is, literally just pulled a list of IS Omni's up on Sarna.

If they want to do an IS Omni, my bet is the Owens. Should be remembered by a lot of people from MW4.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Q_res posted:

If they want to do an IS Omni, my bet is the Owens. Should be remembered by a lot of people from MW4.

Any canon mech that was in MW4:M would be a safe guess for MWO's queue of 3060 mechs.

Except for the Flea, of course

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cease to Hope posted:

3060s means IS omnimechs.

It also means hopefully an Urbie II-C.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DancingShade posted:

It also means hopefully an Urbie II-C.

The Urbanmech IIC already exists in 3052/3053. There's no canon reason it can't already be in MWO.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They said 3060+ so my money's (figuratively) on the Uziel since it's one of the iconic IS `Mechs. The Fafnir, Hauptman, Men Shen, and Thanatos are also possible but why would they put out assault `Mechs after cutting team weight to try to encourage people to run mediums? :v:

Because they're stupid.

It's also possible we could see one of the (terrible) IS Omnimechs like the Sunder or the Avatar, but most of the early IS Omnis look like dumpy pieces of garbage so I don't think that's particularly likely. If we do get an Omni it's likely to be the Hauptman, Men Shen, or the Templar.

They might also throw us for a loop and release one of the actually visually distinctive WOB Omnis, but they'd have to re-enable Crysis's knife button because most of those have a variant that comes with a giant robot knife.

Clans are probably getting either the Nova Cat, the Blood Asp, or the Mad Cat Mk. II. The Turkina's also a possibility, but it's unlikely since it's never appeared in a game before (and it's basically a better Mad Cat Mk. II). The Clans don't really get a lot of fun new additions.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 14, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
How about a Stalking Spider?

Yeah yeah I know, no four legged mechs.

A Bombard might work though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clans are probably getting either Nova Cat, the Blood Asp, or the Mad Cat Mk. II. The Turkina's also a possibility, but they don't really get a lot of fun new additions.

The Black Lanner, Cougar, Hellion, and maybe the Mongrel are possible Clan Omnis, on the lighter end of the scale. The Hellion's top speed with MASC activated is almost exactly MWO's speed cap.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cease to Hope posted:

The Black Lanner, Cougar, Hellion, and maybe the Mongrel are possible Clan Omnis, on the lighter end of the scale. The Hellion's top speed with MASC activated is almost exactly MWO's speed cap.

I'm discounting the lighter machines, if they were going to add the Mongrel they'd have done it already since it's a 3053 design. PGI seems terrified of releasing light `Mechs (because they don't sell). The Black Lanner is also very bad so I'm hoping we don't see it.

Of those, only the Cougar is an 'iconic' design (thanks to MechCommander) so it's the most likely of the lot. The Nova Cat (and Uziel) are both iconic thanks to Mech Assault, and the Blood Asp was iconic for Mech Assault 2 and MechCommander 2.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 14, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm discounting the lighter machines, if they were going to add the Mongrel they'd have done it already since it's a 3053 design. PGI seems terrified of releasing light `Mechs (because they don't sell). The Black Lanner is also very bad so I'm hoping we don't see it.

They haven't even released their first 3053 mech (Bushwacker), and the Night Gyr is their first 3052 mech.

Most of these mechs aren't anything to get excited about, mind. The Mongrel is the Viper at 45t instead of 40t (locked JJs and all), the Cougar is another pocket medium, and the Black Lanner has a locked 385XL engine so it's basically unarmed.

The Hellion has a little potential. It's very similar to the Arctic Cheetah, but drops the engine and picks up MASC to make the speed difference. However, it doesn't have any timeline-appropriate JJ or ECM variants.

As for releasing lights, who knows. Maybe they'll revamp their bundling model again and figure out a way to sell lights again.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well, that update mentioned they're done with individual Mech releases. So assume they're selling these as a package. Something super desirable plus a light could work. For both sides. And since only one of the Mechs is guaranteed to be 3060s era we could see Fafnir plus the Stinger.

Good way to get out a couple Mechs you don't think could sell on their own.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The Black Lanner is dogshit - it has like 13t of free podspace after armor - but its addition to MWO is inevitable because it looks like this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cease to Hope posted:

The Black Lanner is dogshit - it has like 13t of free podspace after armor - but its addition to MWO is inevitable because it looks like this.

If it's mixtech that might be enough. Especially if it gets shield arms like in the picture.

Reminds me of a shadowcat with a different cockpit and pod options actually.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Cease to Hope posted:

It does kind of look cool.

edit: Hell, people like the Linebacker and think it is basically a more heavily armored Stormcrow.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DancingShade posted:

If it's mixtech that might be enough.

It's a fairly standard Clan omnimech. It just has MASC and way, way too much engine.

Also sometimes it looks like this.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Hell, how maneuverable is the Linebacker to the Stormcrow? Because if it's really close then yeah it basically IS a more heavily armored Stormcrow.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Ostentatious fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 14, 2017

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

:golfclap:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I'm pretty surprised they haven't released the meta friendly Rifleman IIC at this point.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Friendly reminder to never play late at night. Especially solo.

My God. Late night pubbies are BAD.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Artificer posted:

Friendly reminder to never play late at night. Especially solo.

My God. Late night pubbies are BAD.

hail satan

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cease to Hope posted:

The Nova Cat and Blood Asp both showcase heavy lasers, which are going to be the big 'sell the Clan players on this now' weapon.

Besides which:

They're both more visually distinctive than the typical Clan Gunbox, they're both fan favorites, and they're both (I think) in Living Legends which MWO is probably trying to undercut:

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
I wish they'd add it only ever appeared in Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy but drat it all if it wasn't an awesome as gently caress looking mech.

Played a few rounds with goons last night and started to get the hang of the game again, it's a bit confusing trying to figure out where I should be going but I guess that comes with learning the maps. Made about 5million c-bills last night too, highlight of the night for me was headshotting a kodiak from across the water on river city, and netting two other quick kills for my best performance of the night of 3 kills 6 assists and 600 odd damage. I havent checked too much yet, only popped in during EU prime 2 to 3 times yet, but I take it EUTZ is utterly dead?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

rocket_Magnet posted:

I wish they'd add it only ever appeared in Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy but drat it all if it wasn't an awesome as gently caress looking mech.

Played a few rounds with goons last night and started to get the hang of the game again, it's a bit confusing trying to figure out where I should be going but I guess that comes with learning the maps. Made about 5million c-bills last night too, highlight of the night for me was headshotting a kodiak from across the water on river city, and netting two other quick kills for my best performance of the night of 3 kills 6 assists and 600 odd damage. I havent checked too much yet, only popped in during EU prime 2 to 3 times yet, but I take it EUTZ is utterly dead?

Yeah I've been playing all week EU time and very few people play any more, let's hope there's some action tonight.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Give new players 50 m cbills

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Give new players 50 m cbills

This would be smart and give them a chance to kit out a couple mechs completely.

Would never happen.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Skoll posted:

This would be smart and give them a chance to kit out a couple mechs completely.

Would never happen.

They get 15.5M right now. It could be increased for sure but that's still enough for one kitted-out mech.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

They get 15.5M right now. It could be increased for sure but that's still enough for one kitted-out mech.

They should give you enough for a clan drop deck

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The problem isn't that they don't give you enough cash, the problem is that people come in with zero idea of how to use their starter funds. You can blow through 5m easy just trying a couple different weapon loadouts on an IS heavy before you stumble into a good one. There are so many poorly documented, obtuse nuances to this game that it's really, really easy for a beginning player to spend all 14.5m on a sack of potatoes.

If everyone was consulting MetaMechs and buying only optimal loadouts for the current play style then 14.5 would be more than enough to get them in something that they could earn more cash with while having fun. The issue isn't the amount of cash, the issue is one of how poorly documented this game is.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Nah, I'd say the issue is the amount of cash. New players shouldn't be forced into "consulting MetaMechs" because a grog with no life decided what the "optimal builds you should only ever use" is. That poo poo isn't fun and gently caress you for thinking people should only play those builds.

I will say PGI's documentation has always been poo poo though. For an arcade shooter that tries really loving hard to be a sim but isn't, it essentially just plays like any half rate tank game, They could rip off WoT's documentation ( like they already ripped off WoT's everything else ) and just modify it to go, "mech move like tank, upper torso rotate like turret, WASD like treads. Go out and die due to our nonexistant matchmaking.".

Anyway, this game is absolutely not fun for a new player. It's not intuitive, and to say new players should automatically have to consult unofficial resources is asinine.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The mechs you buy shouldn't have bad builds

Every single one of them should be viable out the gate. The fact that nearly every single build requires double heat sinks and Endo/ferrous means they should just be a part of the mech.

And remove the dumb tabletop builds

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you remove the table top builds and the poo poo that the game actually comes from, you might as well make a whole new mech franchise. It's not so much "LORE BUILDS ARE BAD!!!!!!!!" ( well some are ), as much as it's just :pgi: is loving horrible at making anything but a boat build viable.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, PGI clearly wants lore-style bracket builds to be viable if not preferred. That's why Ghost Heat exists and Power Draw was a thing. They just aren't good at it and can't figure out how to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Hexenritter posted:

Your pics are broken dude. I've been wanting to see what a multi-monitor setup for something like this looks like too, because I was one of the sad, deprived people who never got to experience the full cockpit Battletech game in the 90s.

And don't sign your posts.

edit: That looks pretty handy.

Triple screen is awesome. It also tends to dictate what mechs I play due to cockpit style.

• Locked thread