Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Olaf The Stout posted:

I loved this game more than most people, I just loved how each upgrade has a distinct visual change for both Max and the Magnum Opus. Huge beard and shirtless for life.
I like games where character upgrades have a visual signifier. It's cool to have a clear sign of your progression, rather than just having all the numbers get bigger. One of the good things about Bioshock was turning your weapons into hi-power frankenguns, and one of the disappointments about Bioshock: Infinite was the developers getting rid of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, as much as I love numbers, the clothing changing is also satisfying especially when plot based. I loved in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time when the prince took a particularly bad fall or hit in the story, he would "fix" his outfit by tearing off first the sleeves as they took damage, then the full shirt, exposing the scars that he had been collecting. That blew my mind when I first saw him do that, it was so badass.

Also loved that the levelling up in Mad Max was just a merchant/shaman pulling Max's head out of his rear end. Every time you went to see him, the interaction was like "I need no allies..." "Really, you seemed to take the time to get very friendly with Jeet there despite not needing to."

His entire philosophy was "You are better than everyone else here Max, don't try to play the rear end in a top hat. It doesn't suit you."

It had a similar feel to me (with a self-destructive character trying to disregard his own development) to the Truth or Lie showdown in Xiaolin Showdown, where Omi has the final word because Jack tries to claim he was always trying to betray them, and that he never intended to go good, then Omi demolishes it with "Lie, You did try [to do good]. That is why I am so disappointed..."

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:22 on Jan 12, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
This has been brought up before but I liked how in Batman Arkham Asylum batman's costume got more torn up and he grew a stubble as the game went on.

I felt like the sequels overdid it with the armor damage though.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Based on all the stories people had about the nemesis system had in here when it first came out, I finally picked up Shadow of Mordor. The nemesis system is as awesome as everyone made it sound, but my favorite thing is the goofy photo mode I found hidden in a menu.

I used to spend as much time in skate 2's photo missions as the whole rest of the game combined so this was a pleasant surprise, and I wish more games had it, or that more games advertised it so I knew which ones had it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Mad Max has it too, its great.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Welp, there goes the rest of my winter, then!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I want an action adventure game with the most realistic looking art direction and the clothing damage system of Maximo/Ghouls N Ghosts

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I forgot about those MGSV emblems, they were really fun reading through when the game came out. I can't wait to get all the words. :mmmhmm:

Also I got around to developing and equipping the rocket arm and swear that item alone has added like 100 hours of content to the game.

My list of things for Snake to try and rocket punch next:

* a sheep
* a bear
* a tank
* a helicopter
* Ocelot
* his own face

I can't wait.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I finally got the rocket punch and it's a real pain to control with a keyboard.

But my new emblem is a unicorn that says, "GUNS OF MACHINEGUNS".

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

I finally got the rocket punch and it's a real pain to control with a keyboard.

But my new emblem is a unicorn that says, "GUNS OF MACHINEGUNS".

It's got inverted up-down on the PS4 which is throwing me off because nothing else is inverted for me. It's also really sensitive so it might be a while until I can punch all the things.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I forgot about those MGSV emblems, they were really fun reading through when the game came out. I can't wait to get all the words. :mmmhmm:

Also I got around to developing and equipping the rocket arm and swear that item alone has added like 100 hours of content to the game.

My list of things for Snake to try and rocket punch next:

* a sheep
* a bear
* a tank
* a helicopter
* Ocelot
* his own face

I can't wait.

Do all of those.

Harassing the wild animals is hilarious until you forget you equipped the blast arm and you feel bad.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If you throw a remote control batarang and try to pilot it towards Batman in the Arkham games he just catches it because he's motherfucking Batman.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
The best FF music is made by Nobuo Uematsu. He is god. And Black Mages rock. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit but I put on Mages/ff8/ff7 soundtracks from time to time.

Some goon made this in '07 and I still laugh.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Wow that actually makes perfect sense. I don't think it would be Metal Gear if Snake could catch his own rocket arm though. He's more of the kind of guy who runs around in the desert with a cardboard box while all stinky and covered in blood.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Thin Privilege posted:

The best FF music is made by Nobuo Uematsu.
I generally don't like JRPGs at all - FFVI being the sole exception, partly thanks to the music - but god drat Uematsu is so good. I have no interest in ever playing the game itself, but his Lost Odyssey main theme is one of the absolute best pieces of soundtrack music I've ever heard.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I love that my first drop in the Diablo 1 Mode in Diablo 3 was a king's sword of haste.
It's a shame that all the retro items are garbage, but I love that they put in the most famous items from D1 and even make them look like they did twenty years ago.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Shai-Hulud posted:

I love that my first drop in the Diablo 1 Mode in Diablo 3 was a king's sword of haste.
It's a shame that all the retro items are garbage, but I love that they put in the most famous items from D1 and even make them look like they did twenty years ago.
Arkaine's Valor not being a transmog item is a loving travesty.
But yeah, the event is pretty cute. I could still remember the Halls of the Blind poem by heart. :3:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Little thing in Diablo III - the Witch Doctor is the goofiest motherfucker around.

He's meant to be a light-hearted take on necromancy, so you do things like summon hands clawing their way out of the ground, hordes of zombie dogs (that you can detonate in gory explosions) and hideous Frankenstein things.

You can also throw jars of spiders. Or summon a rain of frogs like your name is Moses. Or summon a tornado full of pirahanas that lifts enemies into the air and then rains dead fish all over the ground.

You can summon and endless stream of zombies that climb onto each others shoulders and collapse on enemies like a human jenga tower.

One of your off-hand items is literally a snake.

There's a move called "Snake to the Face" where you shoot a snake out of your blowpipe (with a loud FOOF noise) and it bites people's face and waggles around while chewing on their nose.

My current build involves 30 voodoo dolls with huge toothy grins and terrible wigs that hop after enemies and stab them with tiny knives, while giggling loudly. At the same time I turn the enemies into exploding chickens and shoot flaming dogs at them.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Little thing in Diablo III - the Witch Doctor is the goofiest motherfucker around.
And if you listen to the follower discussions, he is also among the nicest.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Strom Cuzewon posted:

He's meant to be a light-hearted take on necromancy, so you do things like summon hands clawing their way out of the ground, hordes of zombie dogs (that you can detonate in gory explosions) and hideous Frankenstein things.

You can also throw jars of spiders. Or summon a rain of frogs like your name is Moses. Or summon a tornado full of pirahanas that lifts enemies into the air and then rains dead fish all over the ground.

You can summon and endless stream of zombies that climb onto each others shoulders and collapse on enemies like a human jenga tower.

One of your off-hand items is literally a snake.

There's a move called "Snake to the Face" where you shoot a snake out of your blowpipe (with a loud FOOF noise) and it bites people's face and waggles around while chewing on their nose.

My current build involves 30 voodoo dolls with huge toothy grins and terrible wigs that hop after enemies and stab them with tiny knives, while giggling loudly. At the same time I turn the enemies into exploding chickens and shoot flaming dogs at them.

I would like to know more.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Inzombiac posted:

I would like to know more.
He can also:
- Cast a stream of bats that acts kinda like a short range flamethrower.
- Turn himself into a chicken that runs at enemies and explodes (with no harm to himself because of course not)
- Throw down some frogs that hop in the general direction of the enemy and explode (they even go "ribbit")
- Summon a bunch of zombie bears that charge forth and trample enemies
- etc

I had a Witch Doctor build that revolved around the unique voodoo mask I had: Every time I cast an attack, there was a chance my guy split into three black skeletons. The two extra skeletons would independently use skills I had in the hotbar. So every fight started by me gulping down a few enemy souls around me (another skill, it buffs the caster), start throwing bats around and then suddenly *PLOP* the split happened and the whole thing degenerated into something like a mix of a biblical disaster and a really bad peyote trip. It was just this roiling cloud of chaos consisting of knife-wielding pygmy zombies, flaming locusts, flaming bats, massive waves of piranha-infested water*, exploding corpses rising from the ground and a hulking monstrosity going BAWWOOGAH while it smashed things. And ghosts. And probably something else I'm forgetting.

*: The piranhas will also stick to enemies and gnaw their faces.

Yeah, the D3 Witch Doctor is basically the best ARPG character class in existence.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I picked the Wizard as my main because he was an rear end in a top hat.

And I played this on repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpgQSbwnWD0

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I picked the Wizard as my main because he was an rear end in a top hat.

And I played this on repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpgQSbwnWD0
I mean, I went with the female Wizard because Grey DeLisle is fantastically smug, but I can't argue with your logic.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

One of the D3 Witch Doctor off-hands is a kitten and it has it's own unique anaimations and when you drop it on the ground it curls up and takes a nap

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nordick posted:

. And probably something else I'm forgetting.

The giant frog that grabs people with its tongue.

The zombie crocodile that leaps out of the piranha pond and drags enemies under water. Including bosses.

The giant floating ghost head that spits acid.

Bouncing ghost bombs.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Nordick posted:

He can also:
- Turn himself into a chicken that runs at enemies and explodes (with no harm to himself because of course not)

Worth noting that once you complete one of the late-game sets the chicken runs 100% faster and when you kill an enemy with the explosion, they also explode and start a chain reaction.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The giant frog that grabs people with its tongue.

The zombie crocodile that leaps out of the piranha pond and drags enemies under water. Including bosses.

The giant floating ghost head that spits acid.

Bouncing ghost bombs.

The sill rune that summons the giant toad is called "Toad of Hugeness."

The zombie crocodile is comically huge. Just it's head pops out, and it's neck is almost as wide as the pond. The piranhas are skeleton piranhas with another skill rune.

There's a skill rune for the Gargantuar called "Humongoid," which is just a delightful word.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Honestly I never even bothered to roll anything else. It was just witch doctor all day every day.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I read about the Angry Chicken set being used for speed runs, so when I finally got both items I was like, "Ok let's try this ou-HOLY poo poo WARP CHICKEN ACTIVATE!" It also makes the spells last as long as the cooldown for it, so you can just be a chicken until you find a pack of elites to murder.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising: The character you take on literally every mission gets a skill that lowers the mana cost of all abilities for nearby allies.This buff does not wear off, and stacks until every skill costs zero mana (auras and the like drain like 1 per second, but you get like hundreds so w/e). Skills that other characters get in the campaign include:
-The stealth guy can use abilities without breaking stealth, gets medkits that run off energy rather than supplies, the ability to toss whole clusters of mines that instakill anything non-boss for energy, and lay remote bombs that have huge blast a radius, also for energy.
-The flexible one gets a taunt, and an aura that makes it so he cannot die while his aura is active.
-Heavy weapons guy gets artillery strikes and missile barrages for energy.

After using his skill a couple times the force commander (the guy you need to take) can just sit back and relax, as his job as the explosion fairy is done.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Ashsaber posted:

Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising: The character you take on literally every mission gets a skill that lowers the mana cost of all abilities for nearby allies.This buff does not wear off, and stacks until every skill costs zero mana (auras and the like drain like 1 per second, but you get like hundreds so w/e). Skills that other characters get in the campaign include:
-The stealth guy can use abilities without breaking stealth, gets medkits that run off energy rather than supplies, the ability to toss whole clusters of mines that instakill anything non-boss for energy, and lay remote bombs that have huge blast a radius, also for energy.
-The flexible one gets a taunt, and an aura that makes it so he cannot die while his aura is active.
-Heavy weapons guy gets artillery strikes and missile barrages for energy.

After using his skill a couple times the force commander (the guy you need to take) can just sit back and relax, as his job as the explosion fairy is done.

It's that the one that plays like an RTS + MOBA hybrid?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Aleph Null posted:

It's that the one that plays like an RTS + MOBA hybrid?

Maybe? DoW 2's campaign is like diablo, with loot drops and allocating skill points. You only have your force commander and three squads, and the squares are so small they're basically just window dressing for the sergeants who lead them. It's expansions introduced The Last Stand game mode, where you control a single unit in a co op survival horde mode.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Recently the second DLC pack for Warhammer End Times: Vermintide came out, and with new weapons and maps came new lines for each of the five heroes. The voice acting in this game is excellent in the base version, but this DLC made it even better; the elf is so savage with her new insults that at least once per game a player stops to comment on it. Everyone is so sassy now! :allears:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

QuietLion posted:

Recently the second DLC pack for Warhammer End Times: Vermintide came out, and with new weapons and maps came new lines for each of the five heroes. The voice acting in this game is excellent in the base version, but this DLC made it even better; the elf is so savage with her new insults that at least once per game a player stops to comment on it. Everyone is so sassy now! :allears:

Is there a youtube video that shows them, I've never been able to find most of the lines.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mass Effect 2's free on Origin right now and it's still great but the pc version has some issues. I keep getting stuck on top of geometry and can't get back down, forcing a reload.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I picked up Dragon Quest Builders yesterday for the PS4 and one of the first music tracks you hear is a remake of the original overworld theme from Dragon Warrior 1.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Mass Effect 2's free on Origin right now and it's still great but the pc version has some issues. I keep getting stuck on top of geometry and can't get back down, forcing a reload.

At least you have some sort of solution to the problem. Unlike this poor soul;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-FjEF1p_G4

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

homewrecker posted:

At least you have some sort of solution to the problem. Unlike this poor soul;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-FjEF1p_G4

Acrophobia is a real thing please stop making fun of this man.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Watch Dogs 2 will sometimes have random citizens exercise their second amendment rights when poo poo starts going down. Like once I was fighting a street gang for some loot in one of their bases when a bystander whipped out a pistol and started fighting the gangsters too when the battle spilled out into the streets. Just now I jacked a car and the driver pulled a pistol and took a shot at me as I drove away from her. I can't think of another open world game that does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Watch Dogs 2 will sometimes have random citizens exercise their second amendment rights when poo poo starts going down. Like once I was fighting a street gang for some loot in one of their bases when a bystander whipped out a pistol and started fighting the gangsters too when the battle spilled out into the streets. Just now I jacked a car and the driver pulled a pistol and took a shot at me as I drove away from her. I can't think of another open world game that does that.

Its easy to know who will pull a gun on you too; the profiler will come up with something like "registered gun owner".