Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Meridian posted:

It's stuff like this that makes me think that Citizens are really looking for Dwarf Fortress and should be encouraged to contribute to that project as it has far more depth than Star Citizen ever will.

Seriously. Give it another 10 years and I'm pretty sure Dwarf Fortress will have mechanics for launching your Dwarves into space to found space colonies (and then go to war against them in Dwarfdums when they go rogue) and Star Citizen still won't be out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

poo poo, imagine a tantrum spiral colony drop.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Just caught up on the thread, good to see MoMA still salty as gently caress about that ironclad TOS.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

TheLastRoboKy posted:

poo poo, imagine a tantrum spiral colony drop.

can you translate for the people who hadn't played Dwarf Fortress

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

toanoradian posted:

can you translate for the people who hadn't played Dwarf Fortress

Thanks to certain circumstances and pressures a dwarf can "tantrum" which is probably closer to being described as "going loving berserk and trashing everything and everyone nearby". A tantrum spiral is where the damage wrought by an angry dwarf causes other dwarves to start throwing tantrums who in turn do damage that causes other dwarves to tantrum and so on until your entire fortress is just hosed beyond recovery.

I just made the natural connection that if you put dwarves in space there would be an inevitable moment where a tantrum spiral on a space colony causes said colony to be dropped on the planet.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

tooterfish posted:

We don't even know if the numbers at the end of the SQ42 video are even a date.

It's probably just a coincidence, "2016" could mean anything.

Maybe we have been wrong about SQ42 dates all this time. 2014 was how many days of development there were remaining. Then the "scope" changed so in 2015 there was 2015 days remaining and so on in 2016 and 2017. Every year they are adding 366-367 days of "scope".

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Galarox posted:

Ok everyone here is the book: How it works: Star Citizen. Clicky the link to download, it's a PDF

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jeakavbiwcd71rb/How%20it%20Works.pdf?dl=1

oh man this thread

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Thanks to certain circumstances and pressures a dwarf can "tantrum" which is probably closer to being described as "going loving berserk and trashing everything and everyone nearby". A tantrum spiral is where the damage wrought by an angry dwarf causes other dwarves to start throwing tantrums who in turn do damage that causes other dwarves to tantrum and so on until your entire fortress is just hosed beyond recovery.

I just made the natural connection that if you put dwarves in space there would be an inevitable moment where a tantrum spiral on a space colony causes said colony to be dropped on the planet.

Now I want the unholy love-child of Space Station 13 and Dwarf Fortress. Space dwarves robusting people drunkenly and trying to find adamantite in the reactor ducts.

"Urith McSpanner robustly slams the clown with his toolbox!"

Also still more likely to be a game than Star Citizen.

Honk.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Star Citizen: Qu'est-ce que c'est que cette merde?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zest posted:

Now I want the unholy love-child of Space Station 13 and Dwarf Fortress. Space dwarves robusting people drunkenly and trying to find adamantite in the reactor ducts.

"Urith McSpanner robustly slams the clown with his toolbox!"

Also still more likely to be a game than Star Citizen.

Honk.
Spacebase DF-9 already happened and failed.

Zest
May 7, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Ah well. :sigh: maybe the reverse would work better: an alternative mode for DF where everyone controls a dwarf in an established fortress? (and we wait for the inevitable tantrum spiral)

Also, "Tantrum spiral" is a good 2 word description of SC and CIG so far...

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm glad everyone likes it. All the credit goes to Galarox though - all I did was spiff up the writing here and there. In fact, after talking it over with the mods, Galarox has been given a couple forums upgrades as a reward, and has been asked to make an imgur album and make a GBS post for goldmining purposes.

Excellent job, commando!

A work of comedic gold. When can we expect the film of the book?

EDIT: Do an animated version using Lumberyard.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Try rimworld, it's almost exactly this and it's really very good

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Galarox posted:

Ok everyone here is the book: How it works: Star Citizen. Clicky the link to download, it's a PDF

:golfclap:

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
That book is amazing, I even felt inspired to start my own...

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Exactly. Which is why I sent it off to a third-party for review, edits etc. Then it goes to the attorneys.

Wait, is this a CIG/RSI book?

Do goons get a copy? Can I get your mind juice all up in me for free?

Asking for a friend.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Galarox posted:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Another Btak! I love these guys

I know the backers love to make up their own vision of what the game will be, but has CR ever indicated that fighting other players will be prohibitively expensive and generally discouraged (UEC 4,000 torpedoes)? Space combat games are the only games he's ever made, and space combat is the only thing you can currently do in the game! It's just plainly obvious that shooting space ships isn't supposed to be a rare last resort or whatever

EDIT: the Star Citizen book is really loving cool, by the way, but I already knew it was going to be posted from reading Derek's July blog.

Zest
May 7, 2007

Chalks posted:

Oooh, thanks for the recommendation! Been eyeballing it, but wasn't sure.

redwalrus posted:

Richard Scarry's Big Book of Star Citizen?

(Or should that be Peter Gabriel's?)

Taxxe:

adorable little buggers...

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

redwalrus posted:

so good

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Galarox posted:

Good job.

(and not just because I didn't help)

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

So you're working on How It Works: the 4th stimpire, yeah?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

toanoradian posted:

Derek Smart actually wanting to work for CIG would be an unexpected development in his backstory in this here greatest trainwreck drama that is Star Citizen.

Well at this point it's just as real as anything else related to the game so hell why not

It reminds me of in Norm Macdonald's book how he said he thought OJ was innocent- but the executives thought the jokes were so funny that they made him keep doing them. Norm's personal convictions wouldn't allow him to tell any more jokes about an innocent man, so he quit NBC.

Of course, if you watch any one of his OJ jokes you know what a hilarious lie that is. In reality the producer who fired him was golf buddies with OJ, who didn't find the jokes about his murderer friend being a murderer very funny. Derek Smart wanting to work for CIG seems like that. Him backing and leaving is twisted into him offering his services and being refused, which we are supposed to believe is what spurned him- as opposed to Robert Space's complete and utter failure to meet even his own goals and benchmarks.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Galarox posted:

Ok everyone here is the book:

This is amazing. I will be just linking this from now on when people ask me about Star Citizen.

EDIT:

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Derek Smart wanting to work for CIG seems like that. Him backing and leaving is twisted into him offering his services and being refused, which we are supposed to believe is what spurned him- as opposed to Robert Space's complete and utter failure to meet even his own goals and benchmarks.

This isn't the first time the Brown Sea has come up with this, although it is the first time they've put Derek's name in the story. Not long ago the reason goons hated CIG was supposedly because goons tried to take over game development somehow and failed. Before that it was Beer4thebeergod who supposedly had tried to take over CIG and failed.

Honestly, it's amazing how many secret conspiracies to take over CIG there must have been. No wonder they never have any time to work on the actual game.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 14, 2017

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Seriously. Give it another 10 years and I'm pretty sure Dwarf Fortress will have mechanics for launching your Dwarves into space to found space colonies (and then go to war against them in Dwarfdums when they go rogue) and Star Citizen still won't be out.

Mission Control cancels launch: interrupted by carp

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

tooterfish posted:

It's probably just a coincidence, "2016" could mean anything.

It's just a new shorthand date format "yymd". It means 6th of January 2020. I thought it was quite clear.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I'm still surprised at the bait and switch with Star Marine.

Why did everyone fall for that? Did no one else notice there was nothing on the stretch goals about Star Marine?

Was it not just an obvious red herring they made up in a month (Because Cryengine was actually made for this) to distract everyone from the lack of actual development?

I wonder what the next red herring will be. STAY TUNED!

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Well at this point it's just as real as anything else related to the game so hell why not

It reminds me of in Norm Macdonald's book how he said he thought OJ was innocent- but the executives thought the jokes were so funny that they made him keep doing them. Norm's personal convictions wouldn't allow him to tell any more jokes about an innocent man, so he quit NBC.

Of course, if you watch any one of his OJ jokes you know what a hilarious lie that is. In reality the producer who fired him was golf buddies with OJ, who didn't find the jokes about his murderer friend being a murderer very funny. Derek Smart wanting to work for CIG seems like that. Him backing and leaving is twisted into him offering his services and being refused, which we are supposed to believe is what spurned him- as opposed to Robert Space's complete and utter failure to meet even his own goals and benchmarks.

The irony is IF Derek had gone to CIG in 2012/13 and asked to work on Star Citizen, they almost certainly would have said yes. Why the gently caress wouldn't you? There are a stupidly small pool of game developers who have ever had anything to do with making shooty space games and Derek is one of them. Sure, you wouldn't put him in charge of graphics, control schemes or user interfaces but as one of the few people on the planet who have actually tried to do a similar thing to what CIG aims to do, that knowledge and experience would have been invaluable.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Chalks posted:

I tried Rimworld but I kept getting depressed by lesbians.

Star Citizen is Norm Macdonald's moth joke.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Meridian posted:

It's stuff like this that makes me think that Citizens are really looking for Dwarf Fortress and should be encouraged to contribute to that project as it has far more depth than Star Citizen ever will.

More they want to play one of the many open play modes in Arma engines. Life, or what ever it is called. Or just loving pen and paper roleplay.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

"What I really want is a universe simulator. In it you can do everything. Chris said I can do everything."

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

"What I really want is a universe simulator. In it you can't do anything. Chris said you're not allowed."

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Sillybones posted:

More they want to play one of the many open play modes in Arma engines. Life, or what ever it is called. Or just loving pen and paper roleplay.

Seriously, a pen and paper rpg is probably the only gametype that'll give them the kind of freedom they want/expect.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Zest posted:

Ah well. :sigh: maybe the reverse would work better: an alternative mode for DF where everyone controls a dwarf in an established fortress? (and we wait for the inevitable tantrum spiral)

Also, "Tantrum spiral" is a good 2 word description of SC and CIG so far...

Space Station 13

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the Friday stream with Lando was awesome! Hopefully this will be good practice for future streams as they'll be doing this every week.

Also I got a newsletter that says 10FOTC is coming back!

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Wrecked Angle posted:

The irony is IF Derek had gone to CIG in 2012/13 and asked to work on Star Citizen, they almost certainly would have said yes. Why the gently caress wouldn't you? There are a stupidly small pool of game developers who have ever had anything to do with making shooty space games and Derek is one of them. Sure, you wouldn't put him in charge of graphics, control schemes or user interfaces but as one of the few people on the planet who have actually tried to do a similar thing to what CIG aims to do, that knowledge and experience would have been invaluable.

He'd probably get fired or quit a year or two in, what with their egos and all.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Meridian posted:

Hey everybody. I hope you had a wonderful Friday and have an excellent weekend planned.

I'm inside of an Oil Circuit Breaker right now :negative:

Hopefully I'll be done before it gets hot.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wrecked Angle posted:

The irony is that, with the kind of money they had at the time - something that I would never even dream of ever putting into a game development - I would have pulled it off too. It's not like I don't build, complete, and deliver games. The issue is that, as an indie with limited funds, there's only so much that I can do. It's like those talented indie movie producers and directors who make it big when they get a chance to make a movie with the right backing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I wrote a thing that is bound to increase the anxiety levels over at /r/ds

Why Star Citizen backers should pay attention to recent actions taken by CA officials against Lily drone makers

http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/star-citizen-musings/#post-5198

ps: I can't copy and paste because it has embedded links and stuff; and is far more work than I am willing to do while having Sat morning coffee by the ocean.