Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Buying stuff in big cities IS usually a safe bet. For my entire life prices have been going steadily up here in Stockholm and barring some mass extinction event that depopulates the inner city I don't see why the prices would start going down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Real-estate on average long term tends to just track inflation at best, specially after you factor in all the expenses of owning and maintaining. It can be an ok place to park though, and you can make a killing short term during a bubble. Unless RACIST city governments try to site a hospice next to your investment condo building to try to bring down your property values via ghosts.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Asia actually has major issues relating to this. Any apartment or house that is not new might have ghosts so very few people will be interested in it. However this doesn't mean the owners decide they should knock the price down at all and still keep ludicrous prices in place and in the case of Japan (and Korea I think?) even for rentals you have to give the landlord an effective bribe known as key money to even get in which can be six months rent. Places will go vacant for years rather than anyone compromise.

6 months key money in Japan is pretty uncommon, it's usually more like 1-3. It is also slowly dying off, not fast enough though.

The whole practice dates back to the industrial revolution when young people would pack up and head off to the cities in search of work. Key money was paid by the parents for the streetwise urban landlord to look out for the bumpkins. Obviously the looking-out bit doens't happen anymore, but landlords are happy to keep taking the money.

pentyne posted:

Real Estate is a pretty safe place to park money, not really for money making purposes but so you have an actual usable asset even if the stock market takes a poo poo. As long as people don't buy property expecting it to be worth 10x as much in 10 years it's likely that 20-30 years down the line they'll see some semblance of a profit if they sell.

Unless you're a weird country like Japan, where real estate is generally a depreciating asset, like buying a car :pwn:

Baronjutter posted:

Real-estate on average long term tends to just track inflation at best, specially after you factor in all the expenses of owning and maintaining. It can be an ok place to park though, and you can make a killing short term during a bubble. Unless RACIST city governments try to site a hospice next to your investment condo building to try to bring down your property values via ghosts.

A mate of mine got a kickin' deal on renting a house because it was adjacent to a graveyard. Superstition owns.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Does anyone have that pie chart saved where it's a poll of Koreans being asked a question about a hypothetical war and a third of the responses are calls to nuke Japan, despite the fact that has nothing to do with the question?

I've probably explained that badly but I can't really remember the original context that well. It's hilarious, though.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

another round of nationalism through destroying japanese things?

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

Chinese children will not drink milk out of a bottle unless the nipple has inch long hairs jutting out all around it.

this is the best thread on the entire forums and anyone not checking it is missing out big time

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Adam Vegas posted:

Does anyone have that pie chart saved where it's a poll of Koreans being asked a question about a hypothetical war and a third of the responses are calls to nuke Japan, despite the fact that has nothing to do with the question?

I've probably explained that badly but I can't really remember the original context that well. It's hilarious, though.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
from the politically loaded maps thread in d&d

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Polls in Korea are more than useless since face and group-think cause them to say things that they have no intention of doing or fervently disagree with. You have kids who proclaim that they hate Japan and wish the island to sink into the ocean, but secretly they will confide that they would gladly give up ever seeing their homeland again to go live there. There is a lot of social pressure for Koreans to conform, and they will answer questions with pre-approved answers without even thinking, but if they know they are not being watched, they will tell you the truth.

He Who Smelt It
Jun 14, 2012

ladron posted:

yeah, because I'm always ordering 5 prides of lions and 3 sinisters of ravens in my everyday interactions, which is what it completing your analogy implies

You order raw materials for a chinese medicine company?

I mean there's also some unrelated to groups of animals, a pack of cigarettes, a block of flats, a pile of newspapers, etc.

I wasn't trying to start some pedantic argument, just pointing out that to an extent these words also exist in English.

Also, unless you're trying to ask for measures, in most cases you can use 个 in Chinese to talk about numbers of things.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
How China rules the waves. I feel like I'm in some kind of bizarro dimension. The article was reasonable and not terribly hyperbolic. It talked about how China is spending a ton to build or buy shipping ports and shipping vessels, but nothing about how this will usher in a Chinese Century.

I even read the comments, on a political/economic article about China, willingly! And... they were surprisingly calm and level-headed. What the hell is going on?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Building ports that last 10 years tops doesn't seem like huge threat.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

LingcodKilla posted:

Building ports that last 10 years tops doesn't seem like huge threat.

Yeah and one of the comments was like "well total spending isn't necessarily a great metric since the spending $1 billion may get you two aircraft carriers in the US but 10 in China" and I was like "hah!"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

10 carries created. 5 will be in port on routine maintenance. 3 will in port on emergency maintenance. 1 will be drifting aimlessly on fire. The last one will be tied off to a reef.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The King of Fighters allows no dissent.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

LingcodKilla posted:

10 carries created. 5 will be in port on routine maintenance. 3 will in port on emergency maintenance. 1 will be drifting aimlessly on fire. The last one will be tied off to a reef.

All 10 will be anchored at some point in the South China Sea and then will be claimed to be naturally occurring islands that have always belonged to China.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

These guys are about to drop the sickest album of 2017

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Murray Mantoinette posted:

All 10 will be anchored sink at some point in the South China Sea and then will be claimed to be naturally occurring islands that have always belonged to China.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Yeah and one of the comments was like "well total spending isn't necessarily a great metric since the spending $1 billion may get you two aircraft carriers in the US but 10 in China" and I was like "hah!"

:armchair general bookstore:

Unless they are CATOBAR, then they are extremely limited. Aircraft taking off from ski-ramp carriers have to make a decision. Carry enough fuel to stay in the air long enough to do something useful, or carry a useful armament load for 5 minutes. China has one carrier that they bought, and are building another in Dalian that is a carbon copy. They have not shown any indication that they have started on a CATOBAR carrier, so it's reasonable to assume that they are years (a decade?) away from doing so. Their only chance of making these carriers useful is to operate them close enough to shore or to their "islands" in the South China sea to have land-based refuellers to top up their carrier aircraft so they can operate properly. But, if that's the case, then they could just as easily use land-base air assets instead of carrier ones. These carriers are just face-saving instruments for internal public consumption, because nobody else really gives a crap about them as they are nearly the threat that some think they are.

LingcodKilla is pretty close to the mark on how much of a fleet is actually at sea at any given time. The US carrier fleet is usually 1/3rd deployed while the other 2/3rds are in port being re-stocked, maintained, or undergoing repairs. Given that these carriers were built in Russia and China, 1/3 being deployed might even be optimistic as they are still trying to catch up to nearly 100 years of naval aviation and trying to hurriedly build the necessary infrastructure to keep them at sea for longer than a week or two. China's put their eggs in the island basket, and I'm expecting them to put in the best possible SAM defences and Anti-Ship ballistic/cruise missiles they can buy/develop on those islands to deny other nations access to those waters. Right now they're begrudgingly just barking at everyone over the radio and telling them to leave, but at some point they will start trying to consolidate their territory and enforcing their 9-dash line. I don't think they will ever really take the US to task directly (probably just have their fleet of trawlers cause trouble) as they know if push comes to shove, they can't hope to defend those islands.

I think we're also going to see China trying to make further inroads with their neighbours by buying politicians and throwing money at them. They seemed to have made some progress in the Philippines, but that might just be "Murder President" being crazy, and a happy coincidence for the CCP. While China still has money to burn, they're going to try and grab as much as they can, because they have to know that 5-10 years from now things are going to be a different story.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

BexGu posted:

All 10 will be anchored sink at some point in the South China Sea and then will be claimed to be naturally occurring islands that have always belonged to China.

Yeah, sorry, that's what i meant. I should have thrown some scare quotes around 'anchored'

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
since we're talking about different nations and different bushes do all vaginas all over the world smell the same
because i love vaginas and diversity is fantastic but ive only ever been with white women

also is there a female version of Haier, lets get some dicks in here. Great stuff team

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They shouldn't really smell at all???

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk & Ugly posted:

since we're talking about different nations and different bushes do all vaginas all over the world smell the same
because i love vaginas and diversity is fantastic but ive only ever been with white women

also is there a female version of Haier, lets get some dicks in here. Great stuff team

If you have to ask you'll never know brahaelim

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Drunk & Ugly posted:

while i'd like to read her adventures like haiers posters in the thread lead me to suggest chinese men would not be able to deal with it

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk & Ugly posted:

In China they have the lovely aroma of peanut brittle

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Grand Fromage posted:

Have you seen a doctor? Serious question. This is not normal. I've eaten Chinese almost exclusively for two and a half years and this has happened (stomach boiling but without the pants sharting) twice at most but you seem to have it really frequently.

He's been to india and all kinds places eating all kinds of street foods and whatnot. His guts are probably permanently infected with multiple antibiotic resistant strains and really we should probably be putting him in quarantine.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

His Divine Shadow posted:

He's been to india and all kinds places eating all kinds of street foods and whatnot. His guts are probably permanently infected with multiple antibiotic resistant strains and really we should probably be putting him in quarantine.

Not to mention he's probably infected with several strains of currently unidentified STDs, I reckon he might end up with superpowers out of this whole endeavor

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

chinese guests REFUSE to go on the haunted mansion ride

Haunted elevator ride and it just has a fourth floor

Baronjutter posted:

This really is not true in most of Western Europe at all, real estate prices have more than quintupled in real terms in Belgium since the 1980's. Even 2008 barely put a dent in it. It's a consistently good investment, which increases prices further, etc.

Might be different in the US since Americans tend to move around much more (making the market in a particular area more volatile) and there's more open space left

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 14, 2017

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

These guys are about to drop the sickest album of 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The currently planned construction will give China housing for 3.5 billion people by 2030 so I'm sure it's fine and housing prices always increase.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Drunk & Ugly posted:

I am actually friends with a Chinese version of me, and she's 20. We've never done anything together, but we share our stories all the time and she asks me for advice on how to own these idiots. She's 95% in it to get dumb (Chinese) guys to buy her meals and gifts and not put out. Everything she tells me leads me to believe that many, many Chinese dudes with some cash do the Nice Guy thing and think sex is like a purchase that you put down-payments on using meals and gifts, and at a certain point of money-spent she absolutely must have sex with you. It's like a regulated industry to them. She usually bails before then, but LMAO at how much money she's able to get these guys to spend for a bad handy or blow job after a month.

She embodies every single neckbeard rant about "vapid cunts" using men for provisions. She would make the red-pill guys have meltdowns about modern women. She's helped me learn a lot about young (Chinese) women these days and I've helped her with to game older single clueless guys with more money than brains. It all works out.

Jose posted:

while i'd like to read her adventures like haiers posters in the thread lead me to suggest chinese men would not be able to deal with it
According to my friend, they never delete her once she "breaks up" with them (and they never know she's got like 3-5 more at the same time), and they randomly message her months later asking for a second chance. One guy game to her door with gifts he bought while on vacation abroad, weeks after she dumped him. They are all so obsessed with finding a petite young trophy-ish wife that they are absolutely willing to be treated like garbage and spend their paychecks on a vagina they will most-likely never see.

His Divine Shadow posted:

India made me the opposite, and gave my gut supreme strength. Like I said, the quantity of oil is what causes my stomach distress. I have literally gone and only oil comes out. It's not so much the food. There's enough salt in this stuff that it dries me out like a sponge in a desert.

Invisible Handjob posted:

Not to mention he's probably infected with several strains of currently unidentified STDs, I reckon he might end up with superpowers out of this whole endeavor
I have been tested for all sorts of stuff and I am clean. Sorry to disappoint so late into the thread.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
One more story:
Yesterday I was skateboarding at this very popular skateboard spot that I have been a billion times before. Everyone is there on rollerblades, skateboards, bikes, hoverboards, scooters, whatever. I am standing using my phone while my skateboard is about 2 meters away from me. This guard has been eyeing me for a while and walks over and tells me I can't have my skateboard here and I need to leave, while pointing and giving me the "shoo fly" gesture. I point at my phone and tell him I am busy. He continues to hassle me. Two Chinese skateboarders roll by him. He ignores them, and keeps bugging me to leave and that I can't do that, even though I am not using it or standing on it. Obviously it's because I am a foreigner, as the 50 or more Chinese on every wheeled thing right in front of him don't matter. There are kids on rollerblades doing cone slaloms near him, and longboarders dancing on their boards. He's just being a racist piece of poo poo at me.
I gave him the thumbs up and said "hao de" and then ignored him. I later rode him at full speed, because I can and that's what people do there, because that's what an open square is for.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

I have been tested for all sorts of stuff and I am clean. Sorry to disappoint so late into the thread.

currently unidentified STDs

They're super STDs man, like how spiderman got bit and got powers.

Before you know it you'll be growing wild hairs out of your nips that can grab and ensnare people and shooting peanut brittle out of your dick

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
we need a new China thread with Haier as the OP and some of his choicest stories there to introduce newcomers

I imagine it's getting hard to keep up with the lore and nomenclature of the china thread

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What's the TCM version of an STD test?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Someone start a wiki for him

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What's the TCM version of an STD test?

cupping therapy on the dick

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

we need a new China thread with Haier as the OP and some of his choicest stories there to introduce newcomers

I imagine it's getting hard to keep up with the lore and nomenclature of the china thread

i would have thought thats entirely in keeping with the china thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

The one that I started had a glossary of terms and full list of illegal boner pill medicine names. I will not be the one to start a new thread when this one gets closed. Luckily, the people that got the previous threads locked before have all been banned, so I think this one will be fine.

Tonight I saw something amazing:
I was walking and a guy on an e-bike was coming my direction. I looked up at him and it was a fat white guy with that wrap-around-the-mouth mustache-goatee combo. He was wearing a trucker hat, a pull-over camo sweatshirt from I believe a hunting company, what looked like dirty blue jeans, and those redneck boots that rednecks love. He was something straight out of a Cabela's catalog in a truck-stop diner's toilet, but in China, on a flimsy e-bike. It blew my mind for a moment to get such a nostalgic sensation of the Pacific Northwest right here in China.

• Locked thread