Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So does Showtime have anything else worth watching that would help justify me subscribing for this? Do they have a bunch of movies on demand at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So does Showtime have anything else worth watching that would help justify me subscribing for this? Do they have a bunch of movies on demand at least?

Just Penny Dreadful iirc.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Raxivace posted:

I finished The Secret History of Twin Peaks today, right in time for the announcement of season 3's release date which is one hell of cool coincidence.

I'm curious as to what people make of the contradictions between the book's events and the show's events. Like they almost seem too blatant to be an accident. Norma's mother is dead in the book, alive and has a minor subplot in the show. Ben Horne wins the Civil War in his delusions in the show, loses the war in the book. I think Ed and Nadine's backstory is different between the book and show too. I'm half-tempted to include Josie in the book not being merely a femme fatale but also the hardest criminal to have ever gangstered in here too. I think the book even points to her as having planted the bank bomb, which is never the impression I've gotten from the show.

I'm not really sure whether to take this as mere unreliable narration or...something else, like some time travel nonsense or something.
Any thoughts on this?

You can explain any of it as either retcon or simply unreliable facts from the in-universe narrator. Or read more into it. Whatever feels good.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Koalas March posted:

gently caress

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
This book is real interesting. I'm about 100 pages and keep getting surprised which references are the real historical ones

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I finished The Secret History of Twin Peaks today, right in time for the announcement of season 3's release date which is one hell of cool coincidence.

I'm curious as to what people make of the contradictions between the book's events and the show's events. Like they almost seem too blatant to be an accident. Norma's mother is dead in the book, alive and has a minor subplot in the show. Ben Horne wins the Civil War in his delusions in the show, loses the war in the book. I think Ed and Nadine's backstory is different between the book and show too. I'm half-tempted to include Josie in the book not being merely a femme fatale but also the hardest criminal to have ever gangstered in here too. I think the book even points to her as having planted the bank bomb, which is never the impression I've gotten from the show.

I'm not really sure whether to take this as mere unreliable narration or...something else, like some time travel nonsense or something.
Any thoughts on this?

not only that but there are some notable real-world errors too, like norma's hollywood postcard having a stamp depicting the moon landing several months before it actually happened. there's lots of fishy stuff going on in the book and it's pretty cool and easy to miss but hell if I know what it's supposed to mean

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Koalas March posted:

That's canceled right?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's canceled right?

Yes but they had a finale. That some people hated. I think it's ondemand though and I liked the first season well enough.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Whatever feels good.

romanowski posted:

but hell if I know what it's supposed to mean

Seems like everything is as it should be.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Penny Dreadful is great, but it's also all on Netflix streaming.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The first seasons of Masters of Sex and Homeland were pretty cool, but each one that followed got worse. I didn't even resubscribe to watch the last seasons of either.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I only have showtime because att forces it onto you with the HBO package.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Consummate Professional posted:

This book is real interesting. I'm about 100 pages and keep getting surprised which references are the real historical ones

Yeah, the whole L. Ron Hubbard/Jack Parsons story is insane and I'm glad that more people know about it now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The first seasons of Masters of Sex and Homeland were pretty cool, but each one that followed got worse. I didn't even resubscribe to watch the last seasons of either.

Really? I found Masters of Sex got better as it went on, though S4 wasn't as good as the previous 3.

Still a fantastic show that I wish was still going :negative:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, the whole L. Ron Hubbard/Jack Parsons story is insane and I'm glad that more people know about it now.

The House of Rumour by Jake Arnott is a great novel that has their relationship as one of its (many) subplots. It also includes Ian Fleming's meeting with Aleister Crowley.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Consummate Professional posted:

Woody Harrelson's dad actually was a mob hitman who was linked to the Kennedy assassination, which is a trip and a half

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Woody Harrelson's dad actually was a mob hitman who was linked to the Kennedy assassination, which is a trip and a half
Isn't Woody's character in No Country For Old Men actually based on his dad through pure coincidence?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Isn't Woody's character in No Country For Old Men actually based on his dad through pure coincidence?

It's got nothing to do with Woody's dad unless you think Cormac McCarthy wrote the novel knowing there would be a movie with Woody Harrelson playing the bounty hunter.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

It's got nothing to do with Woody's dad unless you think Cormac McCarthy wrote the novel knowing there would be a movie with Woody Harrelson playing the bounty hunter.

He did say "pure coincidence".

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Chairman Capone posted:

The House of Rumour by Jake Arnott is a great novel that has their relationship as one of its (many) subplots. It also includes Ian Fleming's meeting with Aleister Crowley.

I needed something to use my Audible credits on, thanks.

Annabel Pee posted:

I haven't finished it yet, but if you like the concept definitely check out the books House of Leaves and S. for something similar.

Just to second this, House of Leaves is one of my favourite books. Weird fictional non-fiction with rambling commentary around the edges is a genre now.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

He did say "pure coincidence".

With a question mark indicating he wasn't sure! Unless he was speaking rhetorically....

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The part I wasn't sure about was whether the character was based on Woody's dad at all, not whether or not McCarthy somehow knew that Woody would be the one to play him in a future film adaptation or not.

I apologize for both this derail and any confusion I've caused.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

haha David Lynch mentioned that he didn't read Frost's book during the TCA thing, so the details probably don't add up to anything substantial plot-wise.

I think Frost said that everyone experiences/remembers Twin Peaks a bit differently, so I don't think its time travel or alternate dimension poo poo but just a continuation of a theme that's in most Lynch movies-people dealing with unbearable events, constructing false memories or new subjective realities to escape them, but loving themselves in the end. I'm glad Lynch also said the last seven days of Laura Palmer are important to the new show, as a huge FWWM fan.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdnwXiwnDaM

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Yes please! 2017 is gonna be a drat good time for art/entertainment.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hell God Baby drat Yes

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

He got old.

I got old.

:(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lol if you think Kyle is playing FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper in that preview clip.

:tinfoil:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Good ol Coop hasn't been himself since the middle of season 2. Old Coop wouldn't have idled around waiting for crime to happen, he would have detectived his way to the culprit.

Goddamn, how they wasted that character after the Palmer murder annoyed the hell out of me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Its going to be very interesting to see how much fan service(for lack of a better term) there will be in this, and obviously my instincts would say none, because its Lynch.

I don't even really mean fan service in terms of blatant references necessarily, but for example, will there be some kind of central mystery that the characters are trying to solve like there was in the first season? Will the tone of the show be more like Fire Walk With Me or the original series? In a lot of ways I think this new season could end up getting a similar reception as Fire Walk With Me.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I have enough faith that they won't retread old ground that much, but what that means to Lynch is anyone's guess.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

18 episodes of new Lynch/Frost material, I think this is gonna be good stuff no matter how similar to the original it is. Plus what with having so many characters returning, it'll be somewhat faithful in at least that way. Even if the vibe and some extra dark content we hypothesize might be more like some of Lynch's other work. But in general I've just been itching for more Lynch, it being more Twin Peaks is a bonus.

In general, I think people know it's gonna be a new thing. But I have a feeling it'll be true to the characters and the mysterious allure Twin Peaks has.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The James episodes will be fan service, but not much else

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That population number of 51 thousand still aggravates me. Yes I know the story behind it but still.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Its going to be very interesting to see how much fan service(for lack of a better term) there will be in this, and obviously my instincts would say none, because its Lynch.

I don't even really mean fan service in terms of blatant references necessarily, but for example, will there be some kind of central mystery that the characters are trying to solve like there was in the first season? Will the tone of the show be more like Fire Walk With Me or the original series? In a lot of ways I think this new season could end up getting a similar reception as Fire Walk With Me.

I hope there isn't any fan service. That type of stuff is always poo poo.

I'm pretty confident in Lynch though. The thing with Lynch is whether this is good or bad it will still be good. If it's good, awesome. If it's bad, it will still be loving nuts and hilarious because of Lynch. He never disappoints.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's counting all the people who are trapped in supernatural lodges or in doorknobs though.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

And fish not in percolators.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That population number of 51 thousand still aggravates me. Yes I know the story behind it but still.

I missed that. What's the story?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

I missed that. What's the story?

The original population number was 5,210. The network thought this was too small and insisted it be changed.

So they put a 1 on the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Too small" in the sense that "nobody will want to watch a show about what goes on in a town that small", right? Feh.

And then the whole show itself is clearly designed to depict a 5000-person town and pretend the sign thing never happened.

• Locked thread