Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1280803647/muzo-your-personal-zone-creator-with-noise-blockin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

uh I'm not a physicist but I don't think sound waves work that way

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if that isnt named the scone of silence they are loving idiots

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Agile Vector posted:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

fishmech posted:

no, i'm pretty sure showing up to court int he US with no clue about local law tends to work lovely

I took that post to mean that if the courts function properly then the legal system is blind to whether you have consulted the correct experts or how much homework you didn't do before showing up.

Doesn't mean you'll prevail but it's possible for the law and precedent to nevertheless be on the side of the clueless dilz who showed up.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Sinewave posted:

I took that post to mean that if the courts function properly then the legal system is blind to whether you have consulted the correct experts or how much homework you didn't do before showing up.

Doesn't mean you'll prevail but it's possible for the law and precedent to nevertheless be on the side of the clueless dilz who showed up.

when one side of the dispute has no idea about local laws and the other side has a couple of lawyers who actually do, it's very hard for the clueless ones to win. even if they're completely in the right.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

fishmech posted:

when one side of the dispute has no idea about local laws and the other side has a couple of lawyers who actually do, it's very hard for the clueless ones to win. even if they're completely in the right.

see also: us prison system

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

no, i'm pretty sure showing up to court int he US with no clue about local law tends to work lovely

if i make a contract with a manufacturer in the u.s. i can count on its fair and equitable enforcement whether or not i have any local allies in the area. worst case scenario: i have to hire a local lawyer

the situation just aint that pretty in guangzhou. you need extensive expertise and advice, local and overseas, just to avoid being ripped off from the outset

edit: gently caress, fart simpson appears to be one of these people who actually does scm or contracts management and still denies there is a problem?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lol it's literally just a speaker that blasts out white noise or birds and waves and poo poo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if i make a contract with a manufacturer in the u.s. i can count on its fair and equitable enforcement whether or not i have any local allies in the area. worst case scenario: i have to hire a local lawyer

the situation just aint that pretty in guangzhou. you need extensive expertise and advice, local and overseas, just to avoid being ripped off from the outset

edit: gently caress, fart simpson appears to be one of these people who actually does scm or contracts management and still denies there is a problem?

if you make a lovely contract on the other hand, and don't bother to get someone local to go over it and verify it's actually asking for everything you want, you're not going to be able to enforce it. this is true in america just as in china.

especially if we're talking some random small us company or kickstarter group, who are likely to just kind of rough a contract out and expect everything to go right. and guess which group of people has the most problem with "violations"?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

lol it's literally just a speaker that blasts out white noise or birds and waves and poo poo

gosh mom its an exciter not a speaker!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Synthbuttrange posted:

gosh mom its an exciter not a speaker!

you want a loudspeaker membrane to be as light as possible. the ideal membrane would be masless, just moving air around without dampening anything with its own inertia

what do you think happens to audio quality when you use, for example, a 100 lb wooden tabletop as a membrane?

i remember people trying this poo poo with window glass, and it kinda worked. i can't imagine it works worth poo poo with a table or a wall or whatever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no im not. i dont do any sort of contract management stuff i just work in china. i'm not denying that the situation is worse than it is in america, i'm just saying it's not as bad as a lot of people seem to think (like the guy who says contracts will not help you in china. that's just false)

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in countries where the courts work properly, showing up and shooting from the hip actually works

lmao, that's a belter even for you.

Agile Vector posted:

Mmmm scones

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I pre-ordered a Vessyl because I'm dumb, then asked for a refund last July. They promised me one within two weeks that never came, and also they don't answer my e-mails anymore.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lmao what the hell were you thinking

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'll have one of whatever you're drinking.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lmao what the hell were you thinking

How exactly were they claiming this thing worked?

I like the idea that someone had to guess what they were drinking in the past, but now the device helpfully tells you "coffee" or "piss" or whatever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chalks posted:

How exactly were they claiming this thing worked?

I like the idea that someone had to guess what they were drinking in the past, but now the device helpfully tells you "coffee" or "piss" or whatever.

How Does Vessyl Work?
Although the company doesn’t tell us much about the technology behind it, Vessyl is a 13oz cup made of a non-stick, scratch resistant, glass-like material that features “sophisticated sensors that can analyze the content at the molecular level,” and that’s within “the same realm of technology as quality control in the food industry.” Because of this, Vessyl is claimed to not only work with traditional beverages, but also with alcohol, smoothies, and yogurt, and can even differentiate between your drink and the water from melting ice.

After this data has been analyzed, Vessyl contains a built-in display (known as Pryme, which is indicated by small facets on the cup’s exterior) that will active once it’s picked up and tilted, and will provide actionable data that you can use to make healthier beverage choices. In fact, the manufacturer claims that because Vessyl “knows and aggregates the makeup of everything you drink,” it can even help you sleep better by learning how to choose and time your beverage intake.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ITS A loving MOLECULAR SCANNER?!?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
look guys it had a Skype demo ok

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hahaha. I wonder what they were actually planning on doing with this or if they literally dreamt up this idea and ran with it. Even if they were able to manufacture a tiny, efficient and highly accurate molecular scanner and fit it alongside a tiny IoT computer, how exactly are you going to get accurate nutritional information about a drink based on a sample of random molecules floating around at the bottom of a glass?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Chalks posted:

, how exactly are you going to get accurate nutritional information about a drink based on a sample of random molecules floating around at the bottom of a glass?

well obviously you hold up the scanner and some blue wireframe molecules appear on the screen

/drowns in VC influx

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Synthbuttrange posted:

How Does Vessyl Work?
Although the company doesn’t tell us much about the technology behind it, Vessyl is a 13oz cup made of a non-stick, scratch resistant, glass-like material that features “sophisticated sensors that can analyze the content at the molecular level,” and that’s within “the same realm of technology as quality control in the food industry.” Because of this, Vessyl is claimed to not only work with traditional beverages, but also with alcohol, smoothies, and yogurt, and can even differentiate between your drink and the water from melting ice.

After this data has been analyzed, Vessyl contains a built-in display (known as Pryme, which is indicated by small facets on the cup’s exterior) that will active once it’s picked up and tilted, and will provide actionable data that you can use to make healthier beverage choices. In fact, the manufacturer claims that because Vessyl “knows and aggregates the makeup of everything you drink,” it can even help you sleep better by learning how to choose and time your beverage intake.

Synthbuttrange posted:

It could be a near infrared sensor which measures a spectrum and compares it against a mathematical model. Such an instrument can be as small as ... three coffee cups? I'm having a hard time quantifying the size needed but more than whatever is at the button of a cup.

Could also be a color sensor going "GREEN = TEA, BROWN = COFFEE, CLEAR = WATER" which means fooling it and yourself would require food dye. Also wouldn't work with cola I guess.

edit also they should've called it vessl but that's already a lovely powerbank manufacturer

2ed edit: Apparently NIR spectrometers can come in sizes down to the size of a wristwatch. The price of these: I don't know, but likely enough to make a 200dollar cup unprofitable very quickly.

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 20, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Their stupid staged demo had them differentiating pepsi from coke. :laffo:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Synthbuttrange posted:

Their stupid staged demo had them differentiating pepsi from coke. :laffo:

This can easily be done though, price for instrument for measuring is 250 dollars though.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

This can easily be done though, price for instrument for measuring is 250 dollars though.

A cheaper solution is presumably a screen on the side of the glass that says "Have you considered looking at what is written on the side of the can?"

I suppose it's the perfect product for health concious people who are in the habit of drinking unidentified brown liquid.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wonder if one wouldn't be able to make a facsimile good enough to have people go "oh, neat" by measuring two or more of acidity, electroconductivity, transparency, and color and just training a model to do a guess. there is a lot of sensors which aren't super-expensive which may be good enough to give you a clue of what is what

more fundamentally: it seems really really pointless

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

wonder if one wouldn't be able to make a facsimile good enough to have people go "oh, neat" by measuring two or more of acidity, electroconductivity, transparency, and color and just training a model to do a guess. there is a lot of sensors which aren't super-expensive which may be good enough to give you a clue of what is what

It's probably very likely a combination of these, mainly the pointless component which is weighed heavily.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wizardnetic Vermin posted:

microphone so it can differentiate between coke and pepsi by listening for "is pepsi ok?" before betting filled up with mystrey cola (or "cola" for short)

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/477507715711791104

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
but i can tell the difference between pepsi and coke and im worthless

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Theranos is still kicking and has drowned in VC cash, the only difference between vessyl (beverages) and theranos (blood testing) is that theranos went huger.

vessyl should have shot for the stars, because the sky is the limit apparently

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lazyhound posted:

I pre-ordered a Vessyl because I'm dumb, then asked for a refund last July. They promised me one within two weeks that never came, and also they don't answer my e-mails anymore.
you hosed up, idiot

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Every expert can be lined up to say poo poo like "this has hella problems and even if it did work (which it does not currently) there are some serious implementation concerns like whether you can actually infer X or Y from such a small sample - what you're looking for might not actually statistically exist in such a small sample, etc"

"So, you're saying it's disruptive?" :gizz: *begins shoveling cubic meters of money*

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why I work a real job when I could just get VC money thrown at me by making up some fantastical bullshit.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah but just like how some people figure that all you need is a great idea and then just somehow start cashing checks, you can't just make something up. That's not enough. You also need to sell it to the right people.

Or it *is* that simple and you just dont because you have ethics and virtue and would never stoop, etc.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fear of the law catching up really.

But look, if the Theranos lady had just set her sights lower, would she have gotten away from it without an FBI investigation? Like if some point she was like "Alright, I had no background in this poo poo and I was just freestyle bullshitting everyone. Time to just tell the public it's not working," she would have walked away with a ton of money she socked away, right? Or if she'd just done a small lie like these smart Thermos guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

incompetent CEOs usually fail upward, so yeah, probably

• Locked thread