Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Pureauthor posted:

That means giving up Japan as a viable market, which is yet another problem.

Well apparently Japan didn't support the Wii U with enough sales to keep Nintendo from abandoning ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Utnayan posted:

Right now, the word is to NOT develop for it. Because behhind all the smoke screens of PR, the back door talk is "What the gently caress did they just launch". No one will touch this poo poo with a ten foot pole. Because projections are already estimating about a 2 million install base at the end of 20 loving 17. And they will be lucky if they get that. And the majority of that estimate doesn't come from the design. It comes from their policies and online bullshit no one will purchase.

Do you have like a source for this

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Utnayan posted:

Yes, a lot of nickle and diming. And for huge amounts. Because Nintendo still lives in the hardware world when that came and passed in 1983.

ah yes, the NES. It definitely didn't have any expensive peripherals or hardware.

Nope. Noooooooooooooope.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Rudoku posted:

That's actually a drat good list.

No. It isn't. Have you played ANY of those games?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Med School posted:

Has there been a "good" console launch. I was a little kid but Crash Bandicoot was a launch for ps1 right? That game was the poo poo.

I genuinely enjoyed the PS4's. Killzone, Super Motherload and Resogun were all fantastic and there was a wide variety of 3rd party stuff that at least looked better than their PS3 counterparts.

I think in the first month I owned those three, CoD, Battlefield and AC4 and enjoyed every one of them. In the first three months of the Switch, I think I'll have three games? 100% of them I could buy on consoles I already own. :shrug:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rudoku posted:

That's actually a drat good list.

it's not bad, but there's also no "huge" title except arguably Tekken.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

TFRazorsaw posted:

ah yes, the NES. It definitely didn't have any expensive peripherals or hardware.

Nope. Noooooooooooooope.

It was 19 loving 85. At a time when the industry just got done being hosed up by the same mentality this industry has TODAY.

Do you HAVE A POINT? That was 31 loving YEARS AGO.

EDIT: You just proved my point. Nintendo is living in a loving time when 8-tracks were still around and CD's were replacing vinyl! THANKS FOR PROVING MY POINT.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 14, 2017

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Aurora posted:

Do you have like a source for this
playstationlifestyle.net and thisisxbox.com

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

deadwing posted:

The 3ds launch was way way way worse

Street fighter port, OOT port, and loving Steel Diver, lmao

don't forget the rayman 2 port

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I'd like to think people don't really get this mad about video games and other people's choices to be excited for video games but here we are thanks trump

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Utnayan posted:

It was 19 loving 85. At a time when the industry just got done being hosed up by the same mentality this industry has TODAY.

Do you HAVE A POINT? That was 31 loving YEARS AGO.

My point is that what you said is demonstrably incorrect. "It came and passed in 1983"? One of its biggest games was freaking Duck Hunt, a vehicle for the NES Zapper!

I mean, what the gently caress did you think ROB was?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Utnayan posted:

look at this loving scrub who hasn't played armored core 2

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGJbuHUbw8k

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Utnayan posted:

I was an Armored Core fan and actually liked Tekken and DOA back then.

E: It wasn't worth all the "Don't buy that Dreamcast, wait for the PS 2" crap, but it beats the future.

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 14, 2017

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

I'd like to think people don't really get this mad about video games and other people's choices to be excited for video games but here we are thanks trump

No one is saying that.

You can spend your cash on anything you loving want. What I am saying is I am sick to death of the loving shout downs and trying to play down the obvious flaws. You ignore the flaws and still want to buy it? GREAT! But don't come into this forum and loving gently caress with the goons with obvious shout downs for some serious loving flaws and try to scapegoat the ineptitude.

It isn't that hard. Seriously. Think.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

This is great just for Armored Core 2, alone. I know everyone has to feel the same way.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Rudoku posted:

Awesome.

Sincerity. I love it.

Thank you.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

You felt the need to read the wikipedia article about Ubisoft's Sprung?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So like is Utnayan a gimmick or sincere or both or what

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Utnayan posted:

No one is saying that.

You can spend your cash on anything you loving want. What I am saying is I am sick to death of the loving shout downs and trying to play down the obvious flaws. You ignore the flaws and still want to buy it? GREAT! But don't come into this forum and loving gently caress with the goons with obvious shout downs for some serious loving flaws and try to scapegoat the ineptitude.

It isn't that hard. Seriously. Think.

the Nintendo switch is going to be perfect

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

My point is that what you said is demonstrably incorrect. "It came and passed in 1983"? One of its biggest games was freaking Duck Hunt, a vehicle for the NES Zapper!

I mean, what the gently caress did you think ROB was?

Duck hunt and the light zapper at the time was something no one ever had in their home, and they only got to have that level of immersion in a loving arcade. It was the first of its kind in its home! Do you understand that? I had the deluxe edition. ROB, Gyromite, duck hunt, AND the zapper. It was loving awesome that I wasn't playing some lack luster Atari 2600. I had an arcade. IN MY HOUSE.

TIMES HAVE CHANGED.

Nintendo can no longer hold on to these gimmicks. And that's what they do not understand. While the industry is working on virtual reality and augmented reality, these clowns are still thinking some schmuck is going to bring their switch to a party where they don't know anyone and make friends by playing a mario game with 4 player split screen co-op on a loving 7" display on a coffee table!

Holy gently caress man, think! It isn't that hard.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macaluso posted:

So like is Utnayan a gimmick or sincere or both or what

he's the bringer of Truth to the games forum.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rudoku posted:

E: It wasn't worth all the "Don't buy that Dreamcast, wait for the PS 2" crap, but it beats the future.
Timesplitters was really fun too. I'm not sure it sold that well though.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Is this supposed to be an example of a good or bad list? Cause this list is pretty drat good. Armored Core 2, SSX, Tekken Tag, and the original Time Splitters were fun and good. SSX and Tekken Tag were actually excellent games.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

the Nintendo switch is going to be perfect

I disagree

I think it'll be even better. Truly, gaming ambrosia.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Megasabin posted:

Is this supposed to be an example of a good or bad list? Cause this list is pretty drat good. Armored Core 2, SSX, Tekken Tag, and the original Time Splitters were fun and good. SSX and Tekken Tag were actually excellent games.

it's an example of a list someone asked me to post.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

shave and a harelip posted:

Wait, did they buy that title for themselves?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Utnayan posted:

Duck hunt and the light zapper at the time was something no one ever had in their home, and they only got to have that level of immersion in a loving arcade. It was the first of its kind in its home! Do you understand that? I had the deluxe edition. ROB, Gyromite, duck hunt, AND the zapper. It was loving awesome that I wasn't playing some lack luster Atari 2600. I had an arcade. IN MY HOUSE.

TIMES HAVE CHANGED.

Nintendo can no longer hold on to these gimmicks. And that's what they do not understand. While the industry is working on virtual reality and augmented reality, these clowns are still thinking some schmuck is going to bring their switch to a party where they don't know anyone and make friends by playing a mario game with 4 player split screen co-op on a loving 7" display on a coffee table!

Okay so now it had extra hardware in 1983 and that was a good thing.

That's not what you said before.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 14, 2017

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

I genuinely enjoyed the PS4's. Killzone, Super Motherload and Resogun were all fantastic and there was a wide variety of 3rd party stuff that at least looked better than their PS3 counterparts.

I think in the first month I owned those three, CoD, Battlefield and AC4 and enjoyed every one of them. In the first three months of the Switch, I think I'll have three games? 100% of them I could buy on consoles I already own. :shrug:

I hear ya, man. AC4 was really cool though, for what it was. As someone who played the first one when I was little, and every one since then, that game was awesome at the time.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

it's an example of a list someone asked me to post.

I asked for it because I hate every game on that list

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
What's considered the launch window? The first few months, or the first year?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

First 6 months.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

The time it takes Nintendo to drop the price and brand all the suckers who bought their console Ambassador Switch owners.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The launch window is the window you throw your new console out of when you realize it has no games

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

shave and a harelip posted:

drat right buddy.

Look guys/gals/whatever, just know that this system has a lot of backwards thinking. That it won't have the 3rd party support because after the initial buzz, this thing won't loving sell and without an install base, that 3rd party support doesn't exist. Right now, Zelda plays better on the Wii U than the loving switch console. That is the loving truth. Period.

I realize what they tried to do. In the end, developing for one platform beats developing for 2. (Mobile and home console - Wii/3DS) They hosed that up with poo poo hardware design and low battery life, and then tried to hide that rushed botch job with some presentation that honestly just tried to sell you a console for an application of "Some loving dude that is anti social, doesn't know how to talk to people, so let's bring this 7" screen and some controllers to a party". I mean holy gently caress guys. Seriously. That presentation just happened. And this is how backwards Nintendo is. They had some great new design with the Wii, and now they are trying to expand on that and equalize portable and console for development. I get that.

THE THING IS THE loving poo poo loving SUCKS BEHIND NUMEROUS LOW VALUE PAYWALLS. Not only accessories, a new low bar for online! These fuckers had the opportunity of a lifetime to take out the mod market by releasing an online platform mand just saying, "Hey, by the way, when you subscribe? You will have access to ALL NES AND SNES GAMES". poo poo they haven't sold or cared about until now when they see how much cash they are losing. THEY COULD HAVE HAD MILLIONS OF PEOPLE BUYING A SUBSCRIPTION JUST TO PLAY RUSH'N'ATTACK AGAIN.

NO. Instead? They hosed that up! How? WHO THE gently caress KNOWS who makes these piss poor decisions. Instead, you get a 30 game Nintendo mock up with a controller and a 1 FOOT loving CORD.

Jesus Christ NOA. Use your loving HEADS.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Utnayan posted:

TIMES HAVE CHANGED.

VR is literally at the nintendo "we made tech but now you theres just techdemo trashware everywhere" stage. At the same VR is banking on wii level motion conrtols for immersion. AR will also be poo poo. Play a AR game in your lovely apartment. Escape YOUR room.

But that's the future right? Not Nintendo's machine that wants you to have friends for a portion of its games.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Nintendo are a company that often makes mistakes. Their games are usually really fun and enjoyable, if a bit shallow for some people. The switch looks promising, but has questionable online capabilities and accessories.

My ~Sincere~ opinion is that the Switch launch lineup could be stronger. It's probably one of the best in recent memory. I'm also mystified as to why Mario Kart 8 is not at launch.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Realtalk a portable console is the only way I'm going to be able to realistically play BOTW this year so it's worth me paying fifty bucks extra to play it in March instead of waiting for a price drop in November.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Utnayan posted:

Right now, Zelda plays better on the Wii U than the loving switch console. That is the loving truth. Period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZuxgLcgpFk

sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Oh ok! Got it! This guy is just angry because he's an old man.

Dude I was born in '87, I will never understand how revolutionary Duck Hunt was.

I still totally agree that Nintendo are not making smart choices at all, though. I agree calmly....

• Locked thread