Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

apseudonym posted:

Ah yes, the good ol' "I don't trust my OS but somehow don't think Im completely hosed"

makes me think of that medium article that came out around christmas telling people to make windows stop calling home because microsoft could watch what you're doing

if you're paranoid about an os calling home, don't use that os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OSI bean dip posted:

makes me think of that medium article that came out around christmas telling people to make windows stop calling home because microsoft could watch what you're doing

if you're paranoid about an os calling home, don't use that os

Installing Linux isn't a realistic option for most end users, and buying a MBP costs a lot of money said user may not have.

Assuming they're even aware of this, which they're likely not.

OK, got it.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 13, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Volmarias posted:

Installing Linux isn't a realistic option for most end users, and buying a MBP costs a lot of money said user may not have.

if you have the mindset that windows is filled with backdoors and that the only solution to protect yourself from them is to make changes to the registry or block items via the firewall, then use linux. if linux is somehow not an option then you're a lost cause

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Volmarias posted:

lol if you think apple isn't doing the same telemetry on their end too

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

windows 7 is still supported and is way easier to get around the windows updates that drop telemetry patches

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

These are useless too because what happens is is that the message comes up that somebody changed their key, next message is "i switched phones" or "i had to reinstall whatsapp" and everybody is like "ok".

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my experience with whatsapp so far was when talking to a friend I used it as an example of a messaging app that's based on your phone number like Telegram or Signal, because she thought this was really annoying so I was like "yeah well WhatsApp does it that way and they're real popular now so everyone's gotta do it that way"

except it turns out she had never heard of it either and then she thought I was making up the name "WhatsApp" because "nothing with a name that stupid could possibly be as popular as you're saying"

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

"nothing with a name that stupid could possibly be as popular as you're saying"

wait until you tell her about google

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/kaepora/status/820030127102795776

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

much like the most efficient code, the most secure program is one never written

makes u think

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I knew we were missing someone in this security bingo.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ThePeavstenator posted:

much like the most efficient code, the most secure program is one never written

makes u think

*nods sagely*

therefore my messaging app that discards all messages on any attempt to send is the best

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Segmentation Fault posted:

lol if you think apple isn't doing the same telemetry on their end too

they do some product improvement telemetry (less than windows afaik) but you get a real (once again afaik) choice to opt out. it's one of the setup-on-first-login questions, you can change the setting later if you change your mind, and they do not ever change the setting for you

e: none of which addresses whether one should trust apple to not collect other poo poo invisibly, but apple is deffo less user hostile in their approach to this, especially for individual home users.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 14, 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's not really the companies themselves you should be concerned with regarding telemetry, it's grouping telemetry data form multiple sources without privacy and data usage limitations without the company's consent or knowledge

update systems are obviously usability/security trade-offs but the risk is still there

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

*nods sagely*

therefore my messaging app that discards all messages on any attempt to send is the best

if you wrote an app and it's running that means that the user's inputted message is stored as plaintext in a buffer before being discarded, not secure

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

*nods sagely*

arguably has a slightly lower signal to noise ratio though not by much

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
has anyone done a wireshark of a Windows 10 installation?

that poo poo must light up like a Christmas tr even before you get to the opt out section

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

has anyone done a wireshark of a Windows 10 installation?

that poo poo must light up like a Christmas tr even before you get to the opt out section

well duh, it checks for and downloads updates to the installer and other drivers as soon as you get the network up, let alone the other stuff

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
yeah I'm pretty sure it also sends back info on you, your shopping habits, the gender of your children, etc. before it pops a GUI

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Daman posted:

yeah I'm pretty sure it also sends back info on you, your shopping habits, the gender of your children, etc. before it pops a GUI

i mean if it's gonna pop a GUI on you the least it could do is buy you dinner, am i right?? :xd:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

:buddy:

https://twitter.com/NotFaulty/status/820251440270688256

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
set it to something like "february 31" and no one will ever be able to guess it. it's genius

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

to be fair, they won't need to after using the right tsa key or snipping the thing off

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dynamite Dog posted:

to be fair, they won't need to after using the right tsa key or snipping the thing off

Lol if you put anything valuable in your checked luggage, ever.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

lol if you check luggage at all. physical security, etc, etc

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lol if u dont set yuore combination lock to a combination of 420 and 69

i set my date locks to april 20, 1969

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

219 is also acceptable

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

this seems like the recipe for a sec fuckup. like i fully expect that in 6 months we'll be seeing a news article about this thing actually routing all your dns requests through their server or the app stripping all ssl certificates so that they can analyze your traffic like comodo did

also apple already tracks data usage per app in settings, is that info not available to apps?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

its a tsa lock so its not gonna work to begin with. Might as well make it easy for the user if security isn't possible

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
that youtube video of the guy that found the bit diagrams of tsa locks posted on a government website and just made his own

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

arent most luggage locks going to be garbage enough that you can just shim them open anyway

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

You don't actually have to use TSA locks right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpKhHwwtiY

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you put locks on your bag and they are not TSA the TSA will cut them off but yeah they're useless either way cause of 100 reasons. the only way to secure checked baggage is to get a hard case with a good lock and transport firearms in it along w/ everything else.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

arent most luggage locks going to be garbage enough that you can just shim them open anyway

or just slice the bottom of your luggage open, why waste time defeating the lock when you can simply defeat the container?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

*nods sagely*

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo_(app) was clearly the most secure messaging app until it started asking for location :tinfoil:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Midjack posted:

why waste time defeating the lock when you can simply defeat the container?

but enough about the new docker 0day

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You only have to make your luggage secure enough to make a thief move 2 feet down to the next piece of luggage.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Twist ties take longer to open than tsa locks and they're cheaper to replace when they're inevitably cut off anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

flakeloaf posted:

Twist ties take longer to open than tsa locks and they're cheaper to replace when they're inevitably cut off anyway

that's a real good idea actually

• Locked thread