Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/12/solar-power-to-rise-from-chernobyls-nuclear-ashes

quote:

Chinese companies plan to spend $1bn building a giant solar farm on land contaminated by the nuclear disaster in Ukraine, reports Climate News Network
---
“There will be remarkable social benefits and economical ones as we try to renovate the once-damaged area with green and renewable energy,” says Shu Hua, chairman of the GLC subsidiary.

“We are glad that we are making joint efforts with Ukraine to rebuild the community for the local people.”
---
As yet, neither the Ukrainians nor the Chinese have disclosed the safety measures that will be adopted during the construction of the solar plant.
OHhhhh???????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
RIP, Pinyin Man

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Somehow the a Chinese will find a way to make their solar plant meltdown and cause Second Chernobyl with Chinese characteristics.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You'd think there would be other sites situated closer to living humans more appropriate for a renewable energy project.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Boiled Water posted:

You'd think there would be other sites situated closer to living humans more appropriate with more average daily and yearly sunshine than the Ukraine for a renewable energy solar project.
Fixed

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

In keeping with the spirit of loving up the environment, the exclusion zone China wants to bulldoze for solar panels is a thriving refuge for wildlife. Apparently radiation has had little to no effect on the plants/animals while humans keeping the gently caress out because ATOMZ has been incredible.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Boiled Water posted:

You'd think there would be other sites situated closer to living humans more appropriate for a renewable energy project.

It's not an entirely bad idea. The press release cites the electrical transmission infrastructure already in place for Chernobyl can be reused for the project.

I just wonder what's going to happen when the PV panels reach the end of their expected life. They're no doubt going to be contaminated. What happens then? Just left on site to rot?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

what's the mandarin equivalent for Cheeki Breeki?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

I like the 10 minute Suona solo on the In-a-gadda-da-vida cover best.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Cantorsdust posted:

Somehow the a Chinese will find a way to make their solar plant meltdown and cause Second Chernobyl with Chinese characteristics.

It's just a scam. They'll build it and a month later everything will be stolen. poo poo happens, who could have guessed.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
So haier if you were a woman would you be doing what your counter part does and bilk those poor sexless men?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Yeah, sorry, that's what i meant. I should have thrown some scare quotes around 'anchored'

The best part? China could claim they are "helping" the environment by building up the coral reef. (Please, ignore the gas leaking out of the ship, that hurts China's feelings).

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Dicky mouse posted:

So haier if you were a woman would you be doing what your counter part does and bilk those poor sexless men?
Chinese women pretty much see it as stealing if you're having sex without also submitting to their marriage demands and baby dreams. The desired pay out isn't happening and it's all a waste of time to them. So many seriously think that by having sex I will immediately fall in love, and they have blown up on me when they realized that wasn't happening, and I wasn't marrying them because we had sex.

A Chinese guy throwing money at a girl and not getting sex seems like the situation reversed. Maybe he wants marriage and babies too, but the main thing is that his yuan spent = sex, and if he's spent enough on her or for her and hasn't gotten laid, he's going to have his own tantrum.

In both of their cases, they think of it as "all that work for nothing!"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nvdEXST_k0

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

hahahahahahahahaha

watch till the end, the punchline is at the end

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I was giggling along like an idiot with that guy too

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

I don't know Chinese but as soon as I heard "Taiwan" I knew what went down. Also, video has English subtitles you can turn on.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I don't know Chinese but as soon as I heard "Taiwan" I knew what went down. Also, video has English subtitles you can turn on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7icXyMC43M

he's got a lot more and they're even funnier

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

explain pls

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

you can hit CC for english if you don't know chinese

I haven't played it, but it's that H1Z1 game, as far as I can tell it's like a free for all

he keeps telling people he's from china, and the countrymen need to stick together and team up

then as soon as they turn their back, he shoots them in the head, tells them taiwan #1

it's incredibly juvenile but the super angry reactions from the chinese people are hilarious

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Warbadger posted:

In keeping with the spirit of loving up the environment, the exclusion zone China wants to bulldoze for solar panels is a thriving refuge for wildlife. Apparently radiation has had little to no effect on the plants/animals while humans keeping the gently caress out because ATOMZ has been incredible.

Right there is the single biggest potential environmental/health issue with the exclusion zone around Chernobyl (next to a forest fire). A lot of people think that radiation is something that is happening in the middle of the reactor and "radiating out" in a perfect circle and is decreasing in a linear manner the further away you get from the reactor. In actuality, radiation is highest (obviously where the core melted) but also wherever the most of the dust and debris landed or settled after the disaster. You can see videos of people finding rice-sized chunks of graphite that are really hot, and things like that getting stirred up again is not good. The dust that fell during the accident and is now buried an inch or two under the topsoil is the biggest potential danger. Having Chinese contractors in there with bulldozers, kicking up all that dust again is a huge issue. This is why the old sarcophagus is getting a new one to cover it, because the biggest danger is that it will collapse and kick up more contaminated dust.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The captions actually work but basically he says he's an ABC and they should team up then frags the Chinese guy and says "Taiwan is an independent country"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's particularly good because one of the more annoying things about those game is certain ethnic groups teaming up together and so him sowing the seeds of distrust is actively making it better as well as being funny.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's particularly good because one of the more annoying things about those game is certain ethnic groups teaming up together

not surprised that's how these games operate but that's kind of disgusting. oh well, not surprising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YR4V57B4pc

here's one with a korean, all of this guys videos bring out the 12 year old gamer troll in me. it's so childish but I am still immature enough to laugh at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jdb7KoPZA4

taiwan #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag_EFOlTcJo

oh god this might be the best one

Invisible Handjob fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 14, 2017

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Not that the exclusion zone is that dangerous I wonder if they realize that solar panels require pretty constant cleaning and maintenance.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ooh, didn't think to activate captions.

That's pretty loving funny, haha

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

China steals sculpture.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2015/aug/13/anish-kapoor-bean-china-cloud-gate-copycat-intellectual-property

Read near the end for the wonderful apologia.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Invisible Handjob posted:

"gently caress all people" -Chinese man

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I really love the fact that he mentions the Hogarth Act but not who the biggest breakers of British copyright were for that period and well into the 20th Century.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I really love the fact that he mentions the Hogarth Act but not who the biggest breakers of British copyright were for that period and well into the 20th Century.

Dont leave me hanging also...whats with the red title?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Haier posted:

It's not that big of a deal, and I know women have to deal with hairy (non-Asian) dudes all the time, so there's not much room to complain... but at the same time when someone is basically hairless all over but then had a patch of nip fuzz, it's really off-putting. Especially when they are 2+inches long and there's like 20 of them flossing your teeth. They were in and around the areola and she had zero shame about them, as I think she thought all women have hair like that there too and her previous Chinese boyfriends said nothing about it. These were definitely growing for years.

In my experience in China, the bush is more like a forest, and many women tell me that they think it's gross and weird to trim or shave it (and I've had a few tell me that their previous BFs agree). As someone who thinks going down is part of the evening, getting tickled and/or pulling out a stray hairs sucks. I don't care about shaving, but I have had some previous lovers allow me to use my hair buzzer on a medium setting and hack away at the overgrowth. My previous FWB was from Mongolia and her forest was ridiculously long and somehow my floor would be littered with the hairs every time she stayed over. I would sweep and there would be a pile of pubes, as if I had a pet that shed a lot. She eventually let me use the buzzer and I regularly did touch ups because it grew at a rate that shocked me.

should have been a barber

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ladron posted:

RIP, Pinyin Man

Pinyin Man was awesome. He's spent the last few decades writing stuff about how much the CCP sucks and why China should be a real democracy, but since he invented pinyin he's too important to disappear so his books are just banned in the PRC and everyone stares at their feet and shuffles awkwardly when he gets interviewed and goes into his anti-communist stuff. Pinyin is a great invention too, can't imagine trying to learn Chinese without it. 111 years is a good run though.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

"gently caress-A YOU"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-woman-dies-infection-resistant-26-available-antibiotics-223147289.html

quote:

The woman, who was in her 70s, died in Nevada in September, and had recently been hospitalized in India with fractured leg bones, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.

The cause of death was sepsis, following infection from a rare bacteria known as carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE), which is resistant to all antibiotics available in the United States.

The specific strain of CRE, known as Klebsiella pneumoniae, was isolated from one of her wounds in August.

Tests were negative for the mcr-1 gene -- a great concern to health experts because it makes bacteria resistant to the antibiotic of last resort, colistin.

It was unclear how the woman's infection acquired resistance.

Experts said she had been treated repeatedly in India during the last two years for a femur fracture and hip problems, most recently in June 2016.

So much for the mythical "Chinese" superbug

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

since you're reporting poo poo about a woman that died almost half a year ago, I'll report this

notably the woman's tests in your link were negative for mcr-1. wonder where that pops up?

https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/mcr1.html

quote:

In November 2015, mcr -1—a gene that can make bacteria resistant to colistin, an old antibiotic that is the last-resort drug for some multidrug-resistant infections—was reported in China. The mcr -1 gene is on a plasmid, a small piece of DNA that is able to move from one bacterium to another. The gene has the potential to quickly spread to other bacteria and raises the possibility that bacteria already resistant to major antibiotics could become resistant to colistin as well.

Colistin is a crucial last-resort option. The drug is not frequently used in typical care because of its side effects. Colistin has recently been used, and increasingly, to treat patients with infections caused by multidrug-resistant bacteria against which colistin is still effective, despite its side effects. If colistin resistance spreads to bacteria that are already resistant to all other antibiotics, those bacteria could cause truly untreatable infections. We cannot keep bacteria from changing; bacteria will inevitably find ways of resisting the antibiotics developed by humans. This is why it is more important than ever to slow spread of resistance by following infection control measures for every patient, every time and to keep antibiotics working by improving how we use them.

did your post have any point other than to wumao about how china has no superbugs and it's all america's fault?

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
in other words,

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

"gently caress-A YOU"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

did your post have any point other than to wumao about how china has no superbugs and it's all america's fault?

No, more how it's rather obvious, given that she was treated in India since 2014, that India was the source.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

No, more how it's rather obvious, given that she was treated in India since 2014, that India was the source.

India has giant problems with antibiotic resistance, and so does America with shoveling massive amounts of antibiotics into its animal feed, but to call Chinese superbugs 'mythical' is laughable

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

India has giant problems with antibiotic resistance, and so does America with shoveling massive amounts of antibiotics into its animal feed, but to call Chinese superbugs 'mythical' is laughable

That's why it was sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

pentyne posted:

india has shitloads of people and is very close to china

• Locked thread