Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TL posted:

I don't see anything and I am a backer.

Edit: Mail or email?

Mail. I got the t-shirt and a bunch of postcards today.

Sorry for jumping the gun. Figured more people would be getting it around the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gavok posted:

Mail. I got the t-shirt and a bunch of postcards today.

Sorry for jumping the gun. Figured more people would be getting it around the same time.

It's kind of a spread-out process, I think. Mine arrived last week.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
D'oh, maybe I should have waited for the day's mail to come in before complaining:

excuse the ugly fingernail

these things are awesome

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My shirt and postcards came in today too. :dance:

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Already got the shirt and postcards, but forgot about the official membership card (until today, when it came in). :holy:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Do we know if the new series is going to contain shorts as well?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think they said somewhere that there are no shorts this season.

I hope that we get shorts in future seasons, but they might decide that they don't need them now that they're on Netflix and they don't necessarily need to reach a certain runtime every episode.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how they're approaching (or attempting) an over-arching plot/connection with the episodes, since it's probably going to be launched all at once. I know this was the bane of the writers thanks to the Sci-Fi channel's requests, but they've got some great writers working.

Time Paradox, so you can watch whatever episode whenever? Or keep it linear? Or do a set-up for the first episode and then don't look back?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I would assume opening theme and no plot, same as the Joel years.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

I would assume opening theme and no plot, same as the Joel years.

I mean, the episodes are probably gonna have self-contained plots. There wouldn't be a reason for guest writers like Dan Harmon if all they were doing were writing jokes or self-contained sketches.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

There wouldn't be a reason for guest writers like Dan Harmon if all they were doing were writing jokes or self-contained sketches.

The reason to bring in writers like Dan Harmon are:

1- He can write funny stuff
2- He likes the show and wants to have some kind of involvement (which is honestly probably minimal)
3 (probably the biggest reason)- It got them more attention during the Kickstarter

I doubt the show will have plots to any greater extent than it did during the Comedy Central years.

EDIT: Don't forget, the big name writers that were announced as writers during the Kickstarter were specifically referred to as "guest" writers.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 12, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Diabolik900 posted:

The reason to bring in writers like Dan Harmon are:

1- He can write funny stuff
2- He likes the show and wants to have some kind of involvement (which is honestly probably minimal)
3 (probably the biggest reason)- It got them more attention during the Kickstarter

I doubt the show will have plots to any greater extent than it did during the Comedy Central years.

EDIT: Don't forget, the big name writers that were announced as writers during the Kickstarter were specifically referred to as "guest" writers.

Yeah, I get that, but Dan Harmon doesn't really write sketch comedy, and his shtick is pretty much self-aware meta-plots, hence my curiosity. A guest writer getting to write an episode's plot doesn't sound far-fetched to me, even if the show isn't plot-heavy.

I'm not saying they're going to tell the story of Jonah doing a spy mission to kill the Mads, but they've got a strong cast, good writers and creative freedom, what's to stop them?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I thought the guest writers were going to be writing for the riffs? Like I think they got Ernest Cline (writer of Ready Player One) as he would be providing some nice references during riffing.

As far as I understand it, MST3K typically had 12 writers (including the robots and host) for both the sketch and riffing. So I'm guessing they had (while in the writing stage) 1 guest writer per episode, who probably usually lent their strength to riffing.

Edit: The text during the Kickstarter for Ernie:

MST3K posted:

ERNIE CLINE, the New York Times best-selling author of Ready Player One, which will soon be a movie from Steven Spielberg! If you’ve read RP1, you know how good Ernie is with cultural references.

The bolded part really makes me think that, at the very least, it isn't just the sketches they are writing for.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 12, 2017

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
In one of the Kickstarter updates Joel mentioned wanting to develop Cambot as a character (since Cambot was largely an afterthought during the original run) so I think we'll be getting some kind of story and character development as the season progresses, though I would expect it will be more in the background than it was during the early Sci-Fi years.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Apparently "being good with cultural references" means literally just listing things that are generally liked by geeks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

WhiteHowler posted:

Apparently "being good with cultural references" means literally just listing things that are generally liked by geeks.

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with RP1 and I never understood the following it got.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because geeks think "literally just listing things that are generally liked by geeks" is the height of entertainment.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Eh, it's certainly not great literature but I still thought it was fun. And I was kind of proud of myself for figuring out one or two of the puzzles before the protagonist did.

Apparently they're working on a movie version, which will inevitably suck beyond all comprehension. (Might be a good target for riffing someday...)

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 12, 2017

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

rydiafan posted:

Because geeks think "literally just listing things that are generally liked by geeks" is the height of entertainment.

Someone mentioned Burgertime in a book! I must notify people on the internet!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Powered Descent posted:

Apparently they're working on a movie version, which will inevitably suck beyond all comprehension. (Might be a good target for riffing someday...)

Spielberg's directing it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Apparently I'm Revival League member #954. So if Jonah sucks, there's at least 953 other people to blame.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's the foil Gizmonics thing included with the card? A sticker?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jack Gladney posted:

I think so

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
MST3k is sort of the exception to "references aren't jokes!!!!" although I admit I got a sinking feeling when I heard they hired loving Ernest Cline.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I get that, but Dan Harmon doesn't really write sketch comedy, and his shtick is pretty much self-aware meta-plots, hence my curiosity. A guest writer getting to write an episode's plot doesn't sound far-fetched to me, even if the show isn't plot-heavy.

I'm not saying they're going to tell the story of Jonah doing a spy mission to kill the Mads, but they've got a strong cast, good writers and creative freedom, what's to stop them?

Rick and Morty is full of weird little vignettes that are basically sketches and Harmontown is mostly improv, banter, and dad jokes. Even Community often included gags that weren't meta or story related, but just there to be funny. Dude definitely knows his way around a one liner and we probably don't have to worry about him hamfistedly inserting his storytelling sensibilities into someone else's TV show.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Jack Gladney posted:

You're supposed to put that on your official backer certificate. Over the Gizmonics seal that's already there I presume.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I get that, but Dan Harmon doesn't really write sketch comedy.

He founded Channel 101, which was basically a sketch comedy factory.

The Time Dissolver posted:

MST3k is sort of the exception to "references aren't jokes!!!!" although I admit I got a sinking feeling when I heard they hired loving Ernest Cline.

The old MST3K was full of them just pointing out that a background extra looks like Sally Jesse Raphael or something like that. I mean, I know people are gonna bitch up a storm if they do a joke about someone looking like Kanye West and say it's the laziest thing ever and totally ruined the series, but they're just kidding themselves about how the old show was above that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

The old MST3K was full of them just pointing out that a background extra looks like Sally Jesse Raphael or something like that. I mean, I know people are gonna bitch up a storm if they do a joke about someone looking like Kanye West and say it's the laziest thing ever and totally ruined the series, but they're just kidding themselves about how the old show was above that.

I am eagerly awaiting the show to start making fun of privileged white men, and stupid geeks to froth at the mouth about how they've clearly sold out to the SJWscum and how this isn't real MST3K anymore.

Mostly because that means they never watched Catching Danger and that invalidates any claim they have of being a fan

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Burkion posted:

I am eagerly awaiting the show to start making fun of privileged white men, and stupid geeks to froth at the mouth about how they've clearly sold out to the SJWscum and how this isn't real MST3K anymore.

Mostly because that means they never watched Catching Danger and that invalidates any claim they have of being a fan

Do you mean Catching Trouble, the animal abuse short?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Kaiju posted:

I may have briefly fused that and Shaking Hands with Danger yes

Not going to lie, Catching Trouble would be way, waaaaaaay better if that stupid little music riff played every time an animal was abused

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Burkion posted:

Not going to lie, Catching Trouble would be way, waaaaaaay better if that stupid little music riff played every time an animal was abused

Agreed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Paper Kaiju posted:

Watching it now, and there's an amazingly specific joke about The Bubble Room on Captiva Island, FL. :aaaaa:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You're supposed to put that on your official backer certificate. Over the Gizmonics seal that's already there I presume.

I was? I just put it on my computer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That was the certificate we were supposed to have printed ourselves, right?

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

PostNouveau posted:

Y'know, it's strange... I was thinking recently about the references they used to drop on the show in the 90s - stuff about 50s/60s/70s TV, specifically. As those were all before my time, I think it added a sort of mystique to the jokes in my teenage mind - these were people much older than me who were referencing things created before I was born, and that I had little or no personal experience with. You know, historic cultural artifacts like The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, and Then Came Bronson. It lent the jokes an odd sort of "legitimacy", if that makes sense. Whereas when I'm watching a Rifftrax and one of the guys drops a contemporary reference, I'm much more inclined to think "God, they're pandering", or "that was lame". It's a phenomenon I fully expect to experience a lot while watching the new series.

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 13, 2017

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Franchescanado posted:

Watching it now, and there's an amazingly specific joke about The Bubble Room on Captiva Island, FL. :aaaaa:

That is specific. Gonna have to watch for that when I get the ep on DVD.

And anyone else remember the "Pat Buchanan's first day as President" riff on Phantom Planet?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Burkion posted:

It wasn't all over the place, but Joel's run has jokes making fun of white people from time to time. The opening to Mr. B Natural comes to mind. Hell, making white rivlage jokes are half the fun of watching old educational shorts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I mean even in the early Joel era they had those jokes all over Catalina Caper, and of course there was "Thank God I'm white!" when Jimmy gets pardoned by the judge in I Accuse My Parents.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I LOVE this gif.

https://twitter.com/MST3K/status/820329859750694912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

It wasn't all over the place, but Joel's run has jokes making fun of white people from time to time. The opening to Mr. B Natural comes to mind. Hell, making white rivlage jokes are half the fun of watching old educational shorts.

The Truck Farmer is a particularly brutally political one- it's basically selling the migrant worker program.