Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I found you Evan

Kazaam, like Space Jam, was very bad, but by virtue of the vast majority of us watching it during our formative years, we view it through the most rose-tinted of glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
This also extends to movies such as The Land Before Time, starring Russell Westbrook.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Russ used to look a lot happier back in the day before the competitive spirit of basketball ruined him

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Kawhi is the asteroid

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

dokmo posted:

How long before the Embiid is unfunny backlash.
I don't know but I remember when the internet loved Dwight Howard.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Doltos posted:

Do people hate Shaq yet?

I think they hated him in college

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't know but I remember when the internet loved Dwight Howard.

Dwight Howard was nothing compared to the Shaq phenomenon during the Magic days. What kid doesn't love a backboard smashing monster.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When Shaq played I thought he was a piece of poo poo but I look back on his career and realize that he was pretty fun to watch. His all star game highlights are some of the best.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the only other player to have an internet following like embiid was Gil Arenas and there's way more normal people on the internet now

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Shaq owning Chris Dudley was pretty good.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Hand Row posted:

Dwight Howard was nothing compared to the Shaq phenomenon during the Magic days. What kid doesn't love a backboard smashing monster.
I mean that people specifically liked his personality better than the other stars of the league and thought he was funny, where you'd see clips of his post game interviews being circulated, segments on his pranks, etc. Same was true with Shaq, of course.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Hand Row posted:

Also when Shaq first got Twitter SAS was going wild for him too. I'm pretty sure it had it's own thread to talk about it.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i wrote shaq a letter when he was on the Magic, I loved that team. "He" sent me back a glossy which i then grade school photoshopped by cutting out my head from my yearbook photo and gluing it on there

Brolander fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 14, 2017

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://twitter.com/MaxRappaport/status/820135612472770560?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

dokmo posted:

As soon as the Sixers hit .500

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

Maybe Thibs made the shots miss but no one but westbrook made him keep up jacking garbage threes.

You live by Russ you die by Russ

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Metapod posted:

You live by Russ you die by Russ

No poo poo, he's like sgt. Slaughter in those old comics.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Russ lobs a grenade for 3 but it bounces off a tree and his whole squad die

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dokmo posted:

He's already the least liked all-star man among sports dads, Jeff Van Gundy, the Zeller family, and people who hate fun, which is at least 55% of the American population
https://twitter.com/heatondeck/status/820064094262853633

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

Russ lobs a grenade for 3 but it bounces off a tree and his whole squad die

Lmfao

Punkin Spunkin posted:

He's already the least liked all-star man among sports dads, Jeff Van Gundy, the Zeller family, and people who hate fun, which is at least 55% of the American population
https://twitter.com/heatondeck/status/820064094262853633

This take is volcanic

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

NickRoweFillea posted:

I found you Evan

Kazaam, like Space Jam, was very bad, but by virtue of the vast majority of us watching it during our formative years, we view it through the most rose-tinted of glasses.

Yet all of us were smart enough to recognize Steel as terrible at the time.

Jota posted:

Also when Shaq first got Twitter SAS was going wild for him too. I'm pretty sure it had it's own thread to talk about it.

When Shaq first got on twitter he used his account differently. It used to be more candid/real. The coolest aspect was he would regularly give fans tickets to that night/day's game. Like many basketball players, his twitter became worse as twitter became more popular. Now it's almost exclusively sponsored/self promotion and not as funny.

https://twitter.com/shaq/status/3435123096?lang=en
vs
https://twitter.com/SHAQ/status/816449969418711040

Basically as twitter became more monetized for celebrities, the worse many accounts got.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Embiid actually does all his own tweets and igs

I'm sure once that ends he will suck

Also if he hits a woman or worse .

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Metapod posted:

Lmfao

This take is volcanic
Zach Lowe and JVG are the fun police and they are here to take Joel Embiid away from the people
are Stans album covers, mustaches, and loving walls enough to make up for his black hole of fun brother? I dunno

Marcus Camby knew exactly what he was doing. Don't gaze into those eyes for too long

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Zach Lowe and JVG are the fun police and they are here to take Joel Embiid away from the people
are Stans album covers, mustaches, and loving walls enough to make up for his black hole of fun brother? I dunno

Marcus Camby knew exactly what he was doing

I like JVG as the grumpiest man in broadcast basketball, but he is on the wrong side of history here

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Marcus Camby knew exactly what he was doing. Don't gaze into those eyes for too long

I was talking about the tweet

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Metapod posted:

I was talking about the tweet
Yeah I know I just wanted to post his dead eyes. They're gonna suck all the energy out of every poster itt

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spacebump posted:

Yet all of us were smart enough to recognize Steel as terrible at the time.

When Shaq first got on twitter he used his account differently. It used to be more candid/real. The coolest aspect was he would regularly give fans tickets to that night/day's game. Like many basketball players, his twitter became worse as twitter became more popular. Now it's almost exclusively sponsored/self promotion and not as funny.

https://twitter.com/shaq/status/3435123096?lang=en
vs
https://twitter.com/SHAQ/status/816449969418711040

Basically as twitter became more monetized for celebrities, the worse many accounts got.

Yeah I follow almost no celeb twitter accounts. They're either not posting on their own accounts, advertising themselves when they are, or are generally regular boring people. Embiid and Gobert both have pretty great twitter games and I'm optimistic of this generation.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

I found you Evan

Shazam starring Sinbad >>> Kazaam

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What's going on with Drummond?

https://twitter.com/PrestonMottNBA/status/820365855326425091

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The thing about Drummond is that he's an amazing rebounder but he's never been #thatgood outside of that. Extremely and bizarrely inefficient

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

The thing about Drummond is that he's an amazing rebounder but he's never been #thatgood outside of that. Extremely and bizarrely inefficient

His rim protection is not nearly what it should be considering his size and agility. He also has a habit of tossing up hook shots as soon as he gets the ball. The entire team's ball movement is atrocious and he's maybe the biggest black hole of them all.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
agreeing with JVG often is how i know im a curmudgeon

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

JVG also said embiid should be the MVP the Sixers finish the season with a positive point differential with him on the floor.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/_MarcusD2_/status/818659901505474561

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ben Golliver has expressed a desire for caution about Embiid's number but he expresses a desire for caution about almost everything.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The off Court number is inflated by okafor .

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Oof that's not a good way to use that stat at all.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
It's about as naive a use of +/- as you can get, and it's easy to offer a lot of quick Narrative explanations of why the list looks like that but it'd come with so many asterisks that it'd take a few essays to sort it out by which point you'd have realized you shouldn't have used +/-

edit: I mean, it's not making any distinction whatsoever between "Embiid's good" and "Sixers are bad". And heck why not name a few asterisks left--strength of supporting cast, opponents, matchups, Embiid's minute restrictions and resulting deployment against opposing teams, pace, embiid leading in the total minutes off category might actually speak against whatever point he's trying to go for there

It's painfully obvious that Embiid is good as hell (I voted him as ROTY and PER leader in the predictions thread!) but that's very very the wrong way to prove it

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 14, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Looks like my posting last season was very wise

Fast Luck posted:

Obviously with Embiid being a bigger more athletic Towns, the Sixers have the most talented player in the NBA on their roster, and they'll reach enormous heights starting next season when Embiid's foot rises from the ashes like Curry's ankles did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

EvanTH posted:

It's about as naive a use of +/- as you can get, and it's easy to offer a lot of quick Narrative explanations of why the list looks like that but it'd come with so many asterisks that it'd take a few essays to sort it out by which point you'd have realized you shouldn't have used +/-

People are addicted to plus minus

My favorite use of it is to show how the negative plus minus or [player you hate] is their fault but the negative plus minus or [player you like] can be hand waved by circumstances

• Locked thread