Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Utnayan posted:

I can see his point. It's a loving standard. Just something else these bozos tried to cheap out on because they want to make money on the hardware and not the install base of software licensing.

Please tell me where a DVD drive would go on a portable game machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Utnayan posted:

Bullshit if you want good sound quality in your shows and movies with Lossless/DTS MA/Dolby Atmos. Digital (Unless ripped, which a fraction of users actually know how to do anyway) sacfrices sound fidelity to the stone age. Physical media will always trump this.

Wait so are you telling me there's audiophile nerds who don't own anything to play their physical media?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Nintendo Switch doesn't even have optical out. This is bullshit. I just canceled my six preorders. No one will buy this.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Cojawfee posted:

The Switch is a home console and portable when it wants/needs to be, and a poor portable as it stands anyway given battery life and physical bulk.

Am I missing something? Or are you being obtuse on purpose. Their only thought on this entire loving thing is to streamline development costs for a portable/home console that can be both. And they hosed up the portable part. So they hosed up that entire design mechanic.

As I said, it's another standard that has been nixed because Niintendo looks at their own industry the opposite way of everyone else, and they continue to suffer for it over and loving over again. This is just another standard expectation of the customer they just hosed up on because they still firmly believe the profit is in the hardware, and cheaped out on a $9 dollar cost. How much do you want to bet they come out with an external drive to play movies and accessorize the gently caress out of it?

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 14, 2017

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I think a lot of people are assuming they made this as a console that was also sometimes portable where it's clear from all of nintendo's focus and messaging it's the opposite.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
All this launch needed was one more great game, I would have had a completely different reaction if Mario was ready for launch or even the rumored Pikmin game they are supposedly sitting on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Utnayan posted:

The Switch is a home console and portable when it wants/needs to be, and a poor portable as it stands anyway given battery life and physical bulk.

Am I missing something?

If you take a second to actually look at it, it is a portable console that can also be put into a dock and used with a TV. Those briefcases you could buy in walmart that have a screen and you can put a playstation into is a home console that is portable when it needs to be. Everything about the Switch screams portable console. You just happen to be able to put it into a dock and play with a normal controller.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

All this launch needed was one more great game, I would have had a completely different reaction if Mario was ready for launch or even the rumored Pikmin game they are supposedly sitting on.

Or if Mario Kart wasn't coming a month later.

Really though, I think ARMS is gonna be well received.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

katkillad2 posted:

If you have friends and drink, 1-2 Switch is game of the year.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

There's also people who are both upset about the low power and the battery life and don't see the relation. In a lot of ways it's clearly supposed to be portable in the sense of going and having fun with your friends and not in the sense of I'm on a 9 hour road trip sitting in the backseat and I hate my parents.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
DVD is a dying format and most of the market already has at least one way to play a DVD, if not more. Blu-ray a different story but it's also rather expensive especially if you're not actually using it for your games. One would not really move units and the other would be too costly for what is a completely superfluous add-on. Frankly it's nuts that you'd expect either of those things on a cartridge system.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

same, but at the vesy least they had the balls to put a madman like Suda51 on their stage for the big presentation. Letting him be in the driver's seat for the first time in years is gonna be cool. Hope they do the same for jilted bride Hideki Kamiya and also start putting loads of niche NIS, Vanillaware, and former Vita publishers on the system, too. All the Atlus and weirdo games migrating to Switch would be a big deal.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why is this thing that Nintendo has never included in their consoles ever not on the Switch

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The battery life is kind of bad yeah, but you can always just buy a batterypack (which you probably have for your phone already) and a USB-C cable to charge it while you're on the go. if the thing can last 6 hours, that's about as long as my tablet lasts if I'm constantly using it. They were saying Zelda lasts about 3 hours on battery. I'd say that's pretty good considering how long similar devices last doing less intensive things. You just have to accept that batteries suck poo poo right now. Buy a powerbank or whatever they are called. I used one when I went to the US Grand Prix and it kept my phone charged up the whole day I was using it.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Cojawfee posted:

If you take a second to actually look at it, it is a portable console that can also be put into a dock and used with a TV. Those briefcases you could buy in walmart that have a screen and you can put a playstation into is a home console that is portable when it needs to be. Everything about the Switch screams portable console. You just happen to be able to put it into a dock and play with a normal controller.

Except every customer reaction, from Tokyo to that island Tom Hanks was on in Cast Away, are saying "This thing is too loving big what were you thinking and I get more battery life out of my E-cig."

So no, the messaging failed and people are looking at this as a new home console with the occasional "Pick it up and play it in the shitter". For everything portable, they will be staying with the 3DS until it's end of life'd, and when that happens, they won't be buying a loving Switch as a replacement. They will wait for MS or Sony to capitalize on Nintendo's gigantic gently caress up.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Disc playback isn't worth the trouble including the licensing requirements (which is why the Wii and Wii U don't do it despite having a technically capable drive, and the Xbox One won't play discs if your internet or Xbox Live are down), not when if you're one of those weirdos who plays discs you can get a $20 dedicated player from WalMart.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Suda51 breaking the translator was the highlight of that conference

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

On that note I absolutely loved how batshit that presentation was. I turned to my friend and was like this host looks like some weirdo magician and he did a trick 10 seconds later.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

DVD is a dying format and most of the market already has at least one way to play a DVD, if not more. Blu-ray a different story but it's also rather expensive especially if you're not actually using it for your games. One would not really move units and the other would be too costly for what is a completely superfluous add-on. Frankly it's nuts that you'd expect either of those things on a cartridge system.

Not sure where you are going with that. I agree with DVD. But Blu-Ray is cheap as gently caress to print and reproduce. Carts and Solid State are more expensive.

Why they went cartridge anyway when they made such a poo poo design of a portable baffles me. The loving thing is so big they may as well just put an optical drive in the fucker.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

hahaha what the gently caress dvd playback

why couldn't the wii play vhs????

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Imagine a Wii. Now, add a screen and joycons to it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Really though, I think ARMS is gonna be well received.

Yep. People are going to like waggle games now all of a sudden when they hated them before.

ARMS is already a huge failure. People will buy it because there is nothing else to buy. But no one will really like it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Utnayan posted:

Not sure where you are going with that. I agree with DVD. But Blu-Ray is cheap as gently caress to print and reproduce. Carts and Solid State are more expensive.

The licensing and readers aren't, believe me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Utnayan posted:

Except every customer reaction, from Tokyo to that island Tom Hanks was on in Cast Away, are saying "This thing is too loving big what were you thinking and I get more battery life out of my E-cig."

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Yep. People are going to like waggle games now all of a sudden when they hated them before.

ARMS is already a huge failure. People will buy it because there is nothing else to buy. But no one will really like it.
You can play it with regular controls

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

That's awesome. Now close the pad and carry it with you.

Wait.

Oh double wait. You also forgot to put on the loving side controllers. Which will also need to be stored. And kept. And not lost.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Utnayan posted:

How much do you want to bet they come out with an external drive to play movies and accessorize the gently caress out of it?

Uhhh am I missing something or are you being obtuse on purpose

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's by far the most portable. They've trimmed down the amount of equipment I need to cart with me to bring it to a friend's house, and made it smaller. Bringing a Wii U, and a hard drive with all its cables is not fun to cart around, let alone dismantle. The corded mess is as bad as the back of most PCs.

But the Switch works alone, and all you need is the dock and a couple of cords to make it a TV game at someone's house, which will be great for big multiplayer games

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Utnayan posted:

Wait.

Won't lie, I thought the way the PSP Go slid up to reveal the controls was a neat idea.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Utnayan posted:

Wait.

Oh double wait. You also forgot to put on the loving side controllers. Which will also need to be stored. And kept. And not lost.

Closing the clamshell isn't gonna make it much smaller when you stand it up, dude,. They're not comparing it to a 3DS stood up vertically on its bottom screen.

And I'm talking about vertical height.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This may be my ignorance talking, but isn't the N3DS XL also only rated at 3-5 hours of battery life under use? At least here you have the option of using USB-C battery packs, etc. I've literally never had an issue with the battery in my 3DS, though. Aside from like a super long flight - but if your flight is over like 4 hours you're probably flying in a bus with seat plugs anyway.

Not saying they couldn't have emphasized the portable nature better, just that I'm not sure the battery is a huge deal!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Everyone on both sides of this stupid argument needs to chill the gently caress out about their toy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Utnayan posted:

Wait.

I'll just put it in the carrying case and put it in my backpack and it's good to go. And just in case you say "but what if you don't have a backpack." I wouldn't bring it then. Just like I wouldn't bring a 3DS anywhere with me because I'm not going to risk losing a 300 dollar game machine while I'm at a concert or whatever.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
My concern, as far as Nintendo moving units goes, is the lack of a pack-in game. 1, 2, Switch would've been perfect. An old lady at my job in ~2011 thought Wii Sports WAS the Wii. She called the system her "Wii game." The online service is also depressingly stingy.

I'm still super excited for the system, but I'm definitely waiting until there's a pack-in deal with Zelda or MK or something. Also, Snipperclips and ARMS look great.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
What would Nintendo have to do for people to finally stop defending their decisions?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

VanillaGorilla posted:

This may be my ignorance talking, but isn't the N3DS XL also only rated at 3-5 hours of battery life under use? At least here you have the option of using USB-C battery packs, etc. I've literally never had an issue with the battery in my 3DS, though. Aside from like a super long flight - but if your flight is over like 4 hours you're probably flying in a bus with seat plugs anyway.

Not saying they couldn't have emphasized the portable nature better, just that I'm not sure the battery is a huge deal!

The battery is actually the best we could have realistically hoped for.

quote:

So come into this thread I read the OP, see the 3 hours charge time, think "that's pretty reasonable", and see that they're using a 4310 mAh battery, which is on the top end of what I would have expected. Good stuff.
And then I start reading the replies... holy hell. I know neogaf has a reputation for over-reacting to things, but this thread is just straight up nuts. Go outside, take a walk, have a breath of fresh air, and when you've calmed down you can come back and we can actually look at the facts.

You're back? Great, nice day outside, isn't it? Okay, now let's talk batteries.

Battery Size

At 4310 mAh, Switch has by far the highest-capacity battery of any gaming device ever made. Here's what's currently out there:

3DS / 2DS - 1300 mAh
New 3DS - 1400 mAh
(New) 3DS XL - 1750 mAh
PS Vita - 2200 mAh

That's about twice the capacity of PS Vita or almost three and a half times the capacity of the 3DS or 2DS.

Now, you're surely saying "but X phone or Y tablet has such-and-such a capacity, Nintendo must be able to fit more in there!", but I'm willing to be X phone and Y tablet aren't actively cooled. A typical phone or tablet these days is basically a battery with some electronics and a screen attached. For a phone the battery could account for 60-70% of the internal volume, and it can be even higher for tablets.

Nintendo doesn't have the luxury of dedicating so much internal space to batteries, because it has to fit a fan and heatsink in there, which likely occupies as much as half the space between the screen and the rear of the case. Have a look at this rear-view photo of the Switch:

The blue box I've included is pretty much the best-case-scenario for how much space Nintendo can allocate to the battery in Switch. If you look at the fan vents at the top and bottom of the unit you can see where the heatsink and fan are going to sit (and I've been pretty conservative with the red box for this, as I'm not even including the area around the third vent to the lower right). Then on the left we've got space taken up by the game card slot, microSD slot, kickstand, and likely part of the logic board (which will overlap the cooling system).

There's no space for a bigger battery. The reason I say 4310 mAh is at the top end of what I would have expected is because there's just nowhere to put anything bigger. A 4310 mAh battery is basically Nintendo squeezing as big a battery as they possibly can in there. Quote me on this, when we see teardowns in March there isn't going to be some big gap where they could have put a bigger battery. They've squeezed in as much as they can without increasing the physical size of the device.

Charging

Regarding the "Switch doesn't do quick charging" claim, let's first do some basic maths. A 4310 mAh battery, assuming a standard 3.7V, comes to 15.95 Wh. For that battery to charge from 0 to 100% in 3 hours, then at an absolute minimum, it would have to be charging at a rate of 15.95/3 = 5.3W. Standard USB 2 provides 2.5W of power, so it's physically impossible for Switch to charge so quickly without some form of "quick charging".

However, as several people have already pointed out, batteries don't charge at a flat rate from 0 to 100%, they charge more quickly for the first ~80%, and much more slowly for the final ~20%. It's quite likely that Switch's peak charging rate is anywhere from 10-15W, which is, once again, far more than a standard USB 2 charger would provide.

Finally, we have Nintendo's FCC listing for Switch last month, which gave us these little nuggets of information:

See that bit where it says that the (USB-C) AC adaptor can output DC at 15V? That, folks, means that the system uses USB Power Delivery Revision 2.0 Version 1.2 or later. Or, in layman's terms, quick charging.

So, unless Nintendo have broken both the laws of thermodynamics and some regular human laws by lying to the FCC (although I'd imagine they'd get into more trouble over the former), Switch is most definitely capable of quick charging by any definition.

Regarding the total charging time of 3 hours, this is pretty typical for a gaming device. The 3DS takes even longer at 3 and a half hours for a full charge, while the PS Vita takes 2 hours and 40 mins. And in both cases we're talking about far smaller batteries than Switch has.

People also need to keep in mind once again that li-ion batteries are much slower to charge for the last 20% or so. This is why phone manufacturers always give specs like "charges to 80% in an hour", and leave out the fact that the remaining 20% takes another hour. Anantech provides some useful charging graphs in their smartphone reviews (e.g. OnePlus 3T, Honor 8), and if you look through them you'll notice a trend that charging to 80% typically takes only half the time of charging fully to 100%. This is going to vary a little bit depending on the battery and charging tech used, but it's usually around that ratio.

Translating to Switch, what we're probably looking at is the device charging to 80% battery in 90 minutes or so. Which, for me at least, is pretty reasonable. Yeah, they probably could have got it down to 60 minutes by using a more expensive battery, more expensive power ICs and a more expensive charger, but I doubt I'll ever be in a situation where that's the difference between my Switch having a usable amount of charge or not.

TL:DR

- Switch's battery is far bigger than any other gaming device
- Switch's battery is as big as they could possibly fit in there given the active cooling
- Switch definitely uses quick charging (source: FCC & James Clerk Maxwell)
- Switch probably charges to ~80% battery in about 90 minutes

Source

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Spellman posted:

It's by far the most portable. They've trimmed down the amount of equipment I need to cart with me to bring it to a friend's house, and made it smaller. Bringing a Wii U, and a hard drive with all its cables is not fun to cart around, let alone dismantle. The corded mess is as bad as the back of most PCs.

But the Switch works alone, and all you need is the dock and a couple of cords to make it a TV game at someone's house, which will be great for big multiplayer games

This is ridiculous. It is most not by far the most portable. It's the size of an Ipad mini with latch on controllers you have to also take with you and store and detach from the device. It's bulky as gently caress and doesn't flip down. Compared to a 3DS and a Vita, its a loving tank when taking in all those circumstances.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

How do I carry my laptop if I don't have a backpack? How do I carry my iPhone plus if my pockets are too small? How do I carry my groceries if I have three bags and only two hands?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Utnayan posted:

Why they went cartridge anyway when they made such a poo poo design of a portable baffles me. The loving thing is so big they may as well just put an optical drive in the fucker.

We've reached a point where mass producing cartridges like that isn't appreciably different in price in high volume productions, and the load times are way faster than optical discs and the drive to read them is far less failure-prone due to no moving parts, especially on a portable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MY ABACUS! posted:

What would Nintendo have to do for people to finally stop defending their decisions?

Get peed on by Russian hookers.

• Locked thread