Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

purple death ray posted:

They could make fancy figures of generic final fantasy stuff and people would be all over that. Like here's a Fighter, here's a Red Mage. Not any character from a particular game. Even with PAK's weird scale and price I would definitely snap something like that up. Deluxe chocobo the figures can sit on. Come on square.

I would love that.

I mean, that actually did this with their Dragoon figure (which is the only FF PAK I have), but they haven't done any more. I'd love to have a Red Mage, Black Mage, Paladin, etc.

Fuzz posted:

Or PAK could just start making 1:12 or 1:6 scale figures like a regular company.

And this. If they made 6" figures, then they could actually afford to do some of the less popular FF characters because they'd be cheaper to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Square is correct to pretend that the MMOs don't exist.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I like to pretend you don't exist.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Endless Mike posted:

FFXIV is a great game, you be quiet. :colbert:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aphrodite posted:

The ones before 7 don't have character designs that translate very well.

You can make figures of anything and these looks easy.

They are all humanoid and the designs aren't wacky.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 13, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They jut need to make one base body, four different head sculpts, and then a whole bunch of different clothing options

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Hell, I'd just be cool with them doing more figures based on generic job classes like the Dragoon. Like, you can kinda sorta say that Dragoon is Kain from FF4, or one from XI or XIV, but it's not really from any specific game.

The Black \ White \ Red mages are all just kind of iconic designs. Dragoons and Summoners, too.

In particular I just love the way Black Mages look and how they have like little dark Jawa \ Orko faces and I was always disappointed that they phased that out in more recent games. I dunno if there's a Play Arts Kai Vivi, because he's basically a generic BLM. SE seems to like to forget IX, too. Also inb4 someone says it's good that they ignore FF9, I'm preemptively telling you to suck my dick

If we're talking specific characters though, I'd really freakin love to have Edgar + Sabin, Kefka, Setzer, Locke and so on...

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

FFIX is the best Playstation final fantasy.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

purple death ray posted:

FFIX is the best Playstation final fantasy.

Well yeah. So?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

You can make figures of anything and these looks easy.

They are all humanoid and the designs aren't wacky.

If you're cool with the lovely remake designs you don't deserve them.

You disgust me.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

You disgust me.

Uhhh but didn't he post the originals?

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

SpikeMcclane posted:

Yes. And then you're banned.

Ah. Didn't realize they'd be so quick to ban customers.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aphrodite posted:

You disgust me.

What.

E: These are the original Japanese designs for the game.

And even the Amano art could easily be translated into a proper figure.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 14, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those 3D models are from the ugly 3DS remakes.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Those 3D models are from the ugly 3DS remakes.

Uhhhh... no they're not, bro. Those were around since the SNES.

FF5 and 6 didn't even GET 3DS remakes, 3 and 4 did...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Those are drawings. And they are just the final version of the below concept art.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Been a while since we've had a nerd fight...

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Uhhhh... no they're not, bro. Those were around since the SNES.

FF5 and 6 didn't even GET 3DS remakes, 3 and 4 did...

Every time I see your avatar I remember how loving awesome the diaclone v2 release was. Now they're making little eva suits too!!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Found Wolverine and Iceman tonight for $7 a piece with severely dented packages at a local overstock store. Only ever saw wolverine in the stores once and wished I had not passed on him. Iceman wasn't a buy for me at $20 but for $7 why not.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Thinking about getting the DC Icons line, but I'm wondering what the overall opinion of them is? Good figures, or cheap horrible plastic?

How's the articulation vs the Legends?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Thinking about getting the DC Icons line, but I'm wondering what the overall opinion of them is? Good figures, or cheap horrible plastic?

Definitely the most underrated figure line out today, maybe ever? For $20, they are a great value. They may be a little smaller than legends, but they usually come with more stuff and suffer from less buck re-use fatigue.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Articulation for their legs is dogshit.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Fuzz posted:

Articulation for their legs is dogshit.

The early ones yeah but DCC recently figured out how to make Mafex style drop down hips. The Batgirl they just came out with has amazing range of movement. In general they are really well done, great paint and sculpts. I'm a huge convert to Icons after poo poo talking it for months. I think people aren't talking about them much because there's only like two releases a year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Batgirl is currently the crown jewel in the Icons line and recently sold out at Diamond so grab it before the price spikes.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

purple death ray posted:

The early ones yeah but DCC recently figured out how to make Mafex style drop down hips. The Batgirl they just came out with has amazing range of movement. In general they are really well done, great paint and sculpts. I'm a huge convert to Icons after poo poo talking it for months. I think people aren't talking about them much because there's only like two releases a year.

Shame they figured it out after all the drat good characters. I'm not a fan of the plastic capes, either, though.

How is it so hard to find a good classic Batman (not movie or heavily armored Arkham style) figure in 1:12 scale? Like seriously wtf.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I somehow have two play arts Clouds and two play arts Sephiroths despite not liking those characters THAT much

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
got a vincent and tifa if anyone's interested in buyin' em.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Shame they figured it out after all the drat good characters. I'm not a fan of the plastic capes, either, though.

How is it so hard to find a good classic Batman (not movie or heavily armored Arkham style) figure in 1:12 scale? Like seriously wtf.

I've said it before but all the 1:12 supermans are also terrible. It's really too bad. To my previous point, the Icons version is the closest thing (in spite of the odd face paint apps).

The plastic capes on icons aren't perfect. However, they flex (unlike ML or MOTUC or Multiverse) but they aren't cloth (which is ALWAYS awful at 1:12). So they are the best of the bad options.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Fuzz posted:

loving tell me about it. Icons is probably still the best comic style Batman out there that's not a specific artist version like the Mezco 1:12 DKR.

They've got the Rebirth Justice League box set coming out that really looks like it's at least mostly new sculpts. The Batman and Superman look great. If they've got the new style hips...:discourse:

Besides that it's Batman, unless Icons just dies within the next few months they'll get another Batman out. It does drive me crazy how the most oversaturated character in comic books still does not have an obvious "best" figure or even one that people can agree is good.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I somehow have two play arts Clouds and two play arts Sephiroths despite not liking those characters THAT much

Sell me a Cloud

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

drat, do you guys really think that Batgirl will rise in price? It looks like a good figure, but very overpriced even at MSRP.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

purple death ray posted:

loving tell me about it. Icons is probably still the best comic style Batman out there that's not a specific artist version like the Mezco 1:12 DKR.

They've got the Rebirth Justice League box set coming out that really looks like it's at least mostly new sculpts. The Batman and Superman look great. If they've got the new style hips...:discourse:

Besides that it's Batman, unless Icons just dies within the next few months they'll get another Batman out. It does drive me crazy how the most oversaturated character in comic books still does not have an obvious "best" figure or even one that people can agree is good.

I love my Icons Batman, and it's hard to notice, but his utility belt snapped on one of the pouches and it drives my OCD side crazy.

I have him in a semi-crouching pose, throwing a batarang, and he looks great.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MooselanderII posted:

drat, do you guys really think that Batgirl will rise in price? It looks like a good figure, but very overpriced even at MSRP.

In terms of quality Icons are much closer to Figuarts than Marvel Legends so I don't think it's overpriced at all. The motorcycle is also not a cheap accessory, it's really well done and adds a lot to the figure.

Think about it this way, if Figuarts made this Batgirl she'd be $40 or so just for the figure. This is like $50 but also has a sweet motorcycle. Considering how popular the Batgirl of Burnside reinvention has been I'm not surprised it's selling out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Why cookie Rocket posted:

The plastic capes on icons aren't perfect. However, they flex (unlike ML or MOTUC or Multiverse) but they aren't cloth (which is ALWAYS awful at 1:12). So they are the best of the bad options.

gently caress you cloth capes can rule. Look at Mafex Vader.

Fight me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

purple death ray posted:

He does for $250.

He might be a little tall though.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

purple death ray posted:

In terms of quality Icons are much closer to Figuarts than Marvel Legends so I don't think it's overpriced at all. The motorcycle is also not a cheap accessory, it's really well done and adds a lot to the figure.

Think about it this way, if Figuarts made this Batgirl she'd be $40 or so just for the figure. This is like $50 but also has a sweet motorcycle. Considering how popular the Batgirl of Burnside reinvention has been I'm not surprised it's selling out.

I've been collecting icons since day one and I say they are definitely closer to Marvel Legends than figuarts, notwithstanding this figure. At 60 dollars, it is over double the MSRP of two icons. The price has dropped on amazon, and I may wait and see if Barnes and Noble stocks it.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I've said it before but all the 1:12 supermans are also terrible. It's really too bad. To my previous point, the Icons version is the closest thing (in spite of the odd face paint apps).

I got both Mafex BvS Superman and Figuarts Injustice Superman and they aren't really that bad. Both have a number of big issues (especially Mafex Supes), but they still look great and have good articulation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just want a decent-quality 6" Supes in his classic red trunks and spit curl. No collar. No New 52. No specialized artist edition Jim Lee monstrosity. Just plain ol' Silver Age Superman. The closest I can find is the one that comes in that Muhammad Ali two-pack, but the face is weird and I'm not sure I'm sold on the hyper-stylized paint job.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://thefwoosh.com/2017/01/hasbro-x-men-legends-warlock-wave-product-images

and some other xmen...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

If anyone doesn't want their Warlock parts for this wave, hit me up, huh?