Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Robo Turnus posted:

I know this probably speaks more to my level of skill than anything else, but I literally have never seen the 2nd map in any monte grappe operation. That poo poo is wild.

Play with Goons, you'll see the 2nd Map every time we attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

He's talking about the M95.

Also, somebody give me a good example on how to use smoke grenades as a curtain of cover for those attacking a point. Do I dump one on each flank or use both on a single spot?

Throw smoke grenades in front of your team's snipers. Do this until they switch to something helpful to your team.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So are operations just a lovely trap mode? Annoying introductions every time, terribly balanced sides, I don't see a reason anyone would play them.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

So are operations just a lovely trap mode? Annoying introductions every time, terribly balanced sides, I don't see a reason anyone would play them.

They're fun and good.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

the only bad op is oil

and the introductions are good. Austro-Hungarian animal analogy guy ftw

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Dont join an op without a full squad, at the least. Or else you'll end up frustrated and at the wrong end of a stack.

Also, Conquer Hell 64 is the worst op.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Vittek posted:

Especially when you are in the flanker light tank. It seems alot of people forget that it can lay an entire minefield. Nothing is more satisfying than to plink at a heavy and have him come in for an easy kill, only to roll right over your mines while you wait around the corner.

Mines work underwater as well. I shat out some mines in the river crossings on fao fortress, and soon afterwards got a multikill as a boat ran over them.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I AM THE MOON posted:

the only bad op is oil

and the introductions are good. Austro-Hungarian animal analogy guy ftw

I don't like any of the desert maps. More snipers than usual, I feel.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Symetrique posted:

Dont join an op without a full squad, at the least. Or else you'll end up frustrated and at the wrong end of a stack.

Also, Conquer Hell 64 is the worst op.

Which is a shame because the feeling of pushing up through the grounds of and then eventually a French Chateau itself is drat cool.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I kind of pity anyone who gets into the driving seat of a Behemoth these days, even if they know what they are doing that doesn't stop your team from transforming into a sterotypical 1970's comedy mother in law in the chat.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I kind of pity anyone who gets into the driving seat of a Behemoth these days, even if they know what they are doing that doesn't stop your team from transforming into a sterotypical 1970's comedy mother in law in the chat.

Ha, me and a team mate got so wound up by a crappy train driver defending on Argonne in Ops that we started giving the enemy advice on how to kill the train, calling out its position and telling the other team to use HE mortar because he wasn't moving anyway. He was just holding back and ineffectively using the mortar and the rest of the train couldn't do anything.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of driving behemoths, I really wish they'd turn down the hit report when you're getting hit in the Dreadnought. No matter whether you're getting hit by a giant fortress gun, a smaller field gun, or an assault's ratty-rear end rocket gun, there's always a giant CLANG and your screen shakes like the whole ship is about to fall apart any second.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

Which is a shame because the feeling of pushing up through the grounds of and then eventually a French Chateau itself is drat cool.

Yeah, I love the way the map and the château look, but that triple point is just awful.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I like ops, but for a casual (non-gamer usage) player like myself they have some issues. They tend to be a big time sink, and if the party fucks up or there isn't room it's a pain in the rear end to be left out on the other team alone or worse, sitting in queue for the whole map. Playing games on the same team is pretty fun, but some of the most fun games I've been in had goon squads on either team competing against each other.

Yeah I get that some of the conquest maps suck (Suez and Giant's Shadow, though I like the latter) but we just play the same three ops over and over again.

It's a shame that the bigger groups in mumble don't play a conquest game once and a while. I don't know why, every time it gets brought up it's just shouted down. Hell I'd even play a goon on goon Rush to break up the monotony.

Also, for what it's worth, when we play on euro prime time nobody seems to complain about losing a conquest match.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I played the classic game mode today. You know, that game mode where everyone has rifles without scopes and there are no tanks and planes. It owns. I think I'll grind the assault class that way. I hate the SMGs and shotguns. Worthless poo poo weapons beyond 20 m.

Sinai desert owns in that mode. The Ottomans have the Martini Henry rifle as their standard issue rifle. The sound across the map is glorious.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

buckets of buckets posted:

Can someone help me with a few base mechanics of this battlefield please. Firstly shooting accuracy. How fast is accuracy recovery when you stop moving briefly? Say you move like in counter strike or day of defeat, strafing left and right and then firing when you cross over, does that work? Do you have to hold your breath with the iron sights on rifles like with the scopes? I've been doing that but I cant work out whether its having an effect or not.

My current main loadout is the gewehr 98 infantry, po8, flares, 'sniper' shield. I'm a long time player of games like darkest hour & red orchestra so using a bolt action rifle to assault comes naturally to me. I tried to love the mannlicher carcano that everyone says is best for close range, but it has such a low velocity that its like firing hot potatoes at the enemy. Pretty hard to get headshots on someone on the move like that. G.98 is just beautiful however. Its OHK range (should be like 0-500m lol) is great for picking people off before they get near a point, anything closer than that you can get a second shot on fairly easily. The only thing I regret is that there is no carbine variant, because I very much enjoy hipfire on a bolt action, although I do hate the dumbass optical carbine sights. Hipfire accuracy should really be increased across the board with the bolt actions.

Finally that sniper shield is so versatile. A piece of insta deployable cover? Everyone would have one if they could. Plonk it on one of the bridges on Amiens or Argonne and you're basically immune to gunfire. Alternatively when I'm about to be assaulted in a bunker or room you can slot it down and use it as a pistol shield for CQB defence. I've yet to risk firing the flare gun through the shield but I'm sure it would have hilarious results.

Accuracy recovery (spread decrease) is different from weapon to weapon, you can see the exact numbers on Symthic, and variations like Factory and Lightweight have faster spread decrease times as well. G98 is great if you snipe at long range, by the way. It's my most used weapon with something like 1400 kills, 700 headshots, and 37% accuracy overall. A lot of people say the 1903 Sniper is better, but I love the velocity on the G98. I've used it so much I'm at the point where I can pretty much estimate the amount to lead at any range, and I keep my zero at 75m and I just know how much to hold over at any range. Sniper shield is a 100% headshot at any range for me, I know where to hold over, I know your head will be the part up against the hole and if it's not then you can't even see me anyway.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Target Practice posted:

I like ops, but for a casual (non-gamer usage) player like myself they have some issues. They tend to be a big time sink, and if the party fucks up or there isn't room it's a pain in the rear end to be left out on the other team alone or worse, sitting in queue for the whole map. Playing games on the same team is pretty fun, but some of the most fun games I've been in had goon squads on either team competing against each other.

Yeah I get that some of the conquest maps suck (Suez and Giant's Shadow, though I like the latter) but we just play the same three ops over and over again.

It's a shame that the bigger groups in mumble don't play a conquest game once and a while. I don't know why, every time it gets brought up it's just shouted down. Hell I'd even play a goon on goon Rush to break up the monotony.

Also, for what it's worth, when we play on euro prime time nobody seems to complain about losing a conquest match.

I'm completely down for Rush, Conquest can be a bit of a pain depending on the map and ofcourse how horrible the pubbies are. Seeing almost a third of your team sniping or wasting vehicles makes me want to just throw the round to get it over with rather than suffer a drawn out defeat.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The sniper shield if not a stupid idea in itself, encourages bad gameplay. The best defence is concealment, getting the enemy to waste bullets and explosives somewhere you are not. Proning is just asking to be exploded or melee'd.

The best use I've seen of it is blocking doorways to force people to vault over, like people do in R6S with barricades. A shame supports can't lay down barbed wire to do the same.

Dvsilverwing posted:

A lot of people say the 1903 Sniper is better, but I love the velocity on the G98. I've used it so much I'm at the point where I can pretty much estimate the amount to lead at any range, and I keep my zero at 75m and I just know how much to hold over at any range. Sniper shield is a 100% headshot at any range for me, I know where to hold over, I know your head will be the part up against the hole and if it's not then you can't even see me anyway.

I've stuck to the G98 since the beta, based on the premises either I land a headshot, shoot them twice or whip out my handgun. The absurd velocity means the drop is hardly noticeable so you just need to focus leading on moving targets. It's also great for flipping off the abundance of trench fighters and ground support attack planes.

I am completely unable to unlock any of the sniper variant rifles, I pull back at the last moment and remember the class is for shooting flares and finding people to eviscerate.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Ha, me and a team mate got so wound up by a crappy train driver defending on Argonne in Ops that we started giving the enemy advice on how to kill the train, calling out its position and telling the other team to use HE mortar because he wasn't moving anyway. He was just holding back and ineffectively using the mortar and the rest of the train couldn't do anything.

I was playing a few days ago on Amiens and when the train spawned the driver parked it at the edge of the map and did nothing but fire at C. He never moved it.

He survived until the end of the round,and he racked up an astounding two kills with it.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Delacroix posted:

I've stuck to the G98 since the beta, based on the premises either I land a headshot, shoot them twice or whip out my handgun. The absurd velocity means the drop is hardly noticeable so you just need to focus leading on moving targets. It's also great for flipping off the abundance of trench fighters and ground support attack planes.

Being top of the scoreboard in points in Fao/Monte/Empire/Sinai because every headshot you get gives you an extra 250 marksman points is great, especially because you just look at a mountain somewhere and there's always someone sitting on it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Delacroix posted:

I am completely unable to unlock any of the sniper variant rifles, I pull back at the last moment and remember the class is for shooting flares and finding people to eviscerate.

I unlocked them simply for completion's sake. If I'm going to actually counter snipe, I'm moving up and around using flares and the marksman variants.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

bronin posted:

I played the classic game mode today. You know, that game mode where everyone has rifles without scopes and there are no tanks and planes. It owns. I think I'll grind the assault class that way. I hate the SMGs and shotguns. Worthless poo poo weapons beyond 20 m.

I've been having great fun playing this custom game mode this evening - I wish they would add it permanently.

I actually lead a squad that I believe had this guy in it... (I confirmed that he had the EA and Dice dev dogtags). He seemed to be a fan of the mode, too. The chat.. it was... interesting. He actually mentioned why Giant's Shadow is not in Operations: each map that is in an Operation was specifically designed as a pair with the other.

Tons of people were asking questions, and he was answering. Mostly people were making requests or complaining.

I also did this. Is this what you do to a moose usually? Strap it to your truck?
https://streamable.com/a1l22

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GOTY

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I've been playing for maybe six weeks but had never gotten in an artillery truck until today in a conquest game on Fao Fortress and thought it ruled. I guess the disadvantage is you don't have teammates covering your flanks but I've been a passenger in heavy tanks that got blown up a million times and never really felt vulnerable in the artillery truck. Pretty narrow field of fire I guess but I didn't have much trouble maneuvering to kill anybody coming after me. Is there a reason it doesn't seem to be as popular as the other vehicles? I did have more trouble with the terrain when I tried one in my next game on Monte Grappa but I'm also an idiot and bad at driving.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I've been playing for maybe six weeks but had never gotten in an artillery truck until today in a conquest game on Fao Fortress and thought it ruled. I guess the disadvantage is you don't have teammates covering your flanks but I've been a passenger in heavy tanks that got blown up a million times and never really felt vulnerable in the artillery truck. Pretty narrow field of fire I guess but I didn't have much trouble maneuvering to kill anybody coming after me. Is there a reason it doesn't seem to be as popular as the other vehicles? I did have more trouble with the terrain when I tried one in my next game on Monte Grappa but I'm also an idiot and bad at driving.

I don't know about the artillery truck being unpopular, I see it more often than the landship and probably more often than the light tank. The heavy tank just has such a huge advantage with so many shots bouncing off of it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've seen some poo poo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I god damned hate the Artillery Truck because every rear end in a top hat who knows the game well takes that thing and parks it to where my ground forces can't get to it and then spends all match AAing me in my Plane and there isn't much I can do about it since I usually go for the Attack Plane.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

I god damned hate the Artillery Truck because every rear end in a top hat who knows the game well takes that thing and parks it to where my ground forces can't get to it and then spends all match AAing me in my Plane and there isn't much I can do about it since I usually go for the Attack Plane.

When that happens, and if you get shot down, switch to a trench fighter. As long as you stay on the edge of its AA fire you can usually avoid a getting disabled by the truck while still hitting ground targets.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Symetrique posted:

When that happens, and if you get shot down, switch to a trench fighter. As long as you stay on the edge of its AA fire you can usually avoid a getting disabled by the truck while still hitting ground targets.

I'll have to try that next time.

For real though a good artillery truck is invaluable and can turn the tide for the other team. If I'm unopposed in an Attack Plane I"m going to rack up 40+ kills easily and so is any half decent pilot. Ditto for a good pilot in a Fighter Plane as well, I suppose. It might not be glamorous but neutralizing the other team's air is quite valuable if they have good pilots.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Arty truck or AA truck? AA truck is situational - if the other team has skygods, it can really cramp their style. Arty truck is great, if you have a team you can coordinate with on capping points and you can aim the thing. Figuring trajectory/range takes a bit of trial and error.

Both are great, the main downside is that both of them are very vulnerable - they take damage from drat near everything. You have to use them to support your infantry, and your infantry has to be aware of what you're doing since you'll inevitably be behind the lines in either one.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Arty truck or AA truck? AA truck is situational - if the other team has skygods, it can really cramp their style. Arty truck is great, if you have a team you can coordinate with on capping points and you can aim the thing. Figuring trajectory/range takes a bit of trial and error.

Both are great, the main downside is that both of them are very vulnerable - they take damage from drat near everything. You have to use them to support your infantry, and your infantry has to be aware of what you're doing since you'll inevitably be behind the lines in either one.

AA trucks on ops can basically shut down air support across multiple points. The enemy team giving up a vehicle slot to fend off planes is usually a pretty good trade off. It should make things easier for infantry and friendly vehicles on the ground, and friendly planes can deal with enemy air.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Symetrique posted:

AA trucks on ops can basically shut down air support across multiple points. The enemy team giving up a vehicle slot to fend off planes is usually a pretty good trade off. It should make things easier for infantry and friendly vehicles on the ground, and friendly planes can deal with enemy air.

A good trade off for who - the team giving up the vehicle slot, or the team being denied air support? This is also why it's situational - the first post mentioned conquest specifically. I haven't done enough with AA or Arty trucks on conquest to have an opinion on which is better.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

A good trade off for who - the team giving up the vehicle slot, or the team being denied air support? This is also why it's situational - the first post mentioned conquest specifically. I haven't done enough with AA or Arty trucks on conquest to have an opinion on which is better.

I think in most cases the team giving up air support comes out ahead. Planes can wipe squads and make life hell for infantry, but armor can lockdown a point or serve as a spawn point for a whole team. Assuming that the team giving up air support takes an actual heavy tank, and not a LT/Arty truck to snipe with.

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 15, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Planes are way more dangerous on ops since the combat is so concentrated (aka easy to bomb). An aa truck in cover near the front line will shut that poo poo down right quick, and it's also quite decent at trench clearing (splash the far wall with the aa gun, mow down people in the open with the MG).

A good pilot can climb to the sky box and attempt to bomb your poo poo, but all you have to do is move 10 feet and you'll take minuscule damage. And all the time he's trying to gently caress with you he's not racking quad kills on your pals in the trenches.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

SeanBeansShako posted:

You can toggle the chat window off. I highly recommend it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

bronin posted:

Sinai desert owns in that mode. The Ottomans have the Martini Henry rifle as their standard issue rifle. The sound across the map is glorious.

Martini Henry yo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hekimo%C4%9Flu

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

evil_bunnY posted:

Planes are way more dangerous on ops since the combat is so concentrated (aka easy to bomb). An aa truck in cover near the front line will shut that poo poo down right quick, and it's also quite decent at trench clearing (splash the far wall with the aa gun, mow down people in the open with the MG).

A good pilot can climb to the sky box and attempt to bomb your poo poo, but all you have to do is move 10 feet and you'll take minuscule damage. And all the time he's trying to gently caress with you he's not racking quad kills on your pals in the trenches.

But by using the AA-truck your team looses a heavy tank or landship that could have been used to push the lines, and maybe turn the match. There should be a separate spawn for the AA truck IMHO.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

GyverMac posted:

But by using the AA-truck your team looses a heavy tank or landship that could have been used to push the lines, and maybe turn the match. There should be a separate spawn for the AA truck IMHO.
Again, that's a trade off worth taking when you're getting your poo poo pushed in by planes. If they're not the most pressing concern of course you're better off with a heavy. The concentrated fighting on ops also makes it more likely for assaults to be in range of whatever armor is pestering you. On conquest it's very rarely worth it to pull an AA truck.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

GyverMac posted:

That would make the whole thing pointless. You could plant the truck at spawn and have it trained on the hostile entry corridor, and it would be a zero-sum game.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
Basically we just need the ability to detonate or teamkill any friendly light tank or AA truck we feel is not contributing.