Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

uvar posted:

I hope the driver was alone:

Nice ute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Imagine dying breaking for a wallaby. Also how does one drive a car in rural Australia without roo bars and without two smashed out headlights?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What's a ute?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Azhais posted:

What's a ute?

It’s like an El Camino or Ranchero, but still sold in TYOOL 2017.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 14, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Azhais posted:

What's a ute?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6qGwmXZtsE&t=107s

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 14, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Azhais posted:

What's a ute?

"Utility truck". In the US they'd call it a pickup or a coupé utility.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No one in the recorded history of north america has ever used that name.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

In the US they call it an El Camino, Ford Ranchero because those were the only two that ever sold in any quantity. In the '70s.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bip Roberts posted:

In the US they call it an El Camino, Ford Ranchero because those were the only two that ever sold in any quantity. In the '70s.

They're still suuuuuper popular in Australia. We even have ute festivals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ute_muster

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're still suuuuuper popular in Australia. We even have ute festivals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ute_muster

Which brings us back to a guy falling off the back of a ute at one of these events and dying.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-07/friends-pays-tribute-after-summernats-ute-death/8167578

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

the mullet of automobiles

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deteriorata posted:

It's also suspicious that the video appeared in early 2014, when the Dutch had disbanded their last tank regiment back in 2011. They still have a few Leopards around, apparently, but they are being sold off and aren't in active service.

It seems very unlikely to be real.

what? You realise that since 1944 the Dutch aren't part of germany anymore right? So that german video has nothing to do with anything going on in the netherlands?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then why's it called Deutschland?!

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
I live in america and i wish i could buy a ute

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Spunky Junior Reporter! posted:

CAFE standards killed utes. Now we get SUV's instead.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
I hope trump gets rid of CAFE

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I hope trump gets rid of CAFE

Trumps getting rid of all of it, CAFE, EPA, ACA, OSHA, AAA, the KKK.

okay, well, maybe not that last one.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Buying Native Americans is highly illegal

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Then why's it called Deutschland?!

I don't know, you should ask the Pennsylvania Dutch about that one.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Azhais posted:

What's a ute?

A "truck", if you're American. I think.

I saw a billboard ad over here for Ram Trucks, featuring utes, and was like "that's not a truck, this is a truck"! I've only ever heard "truck" used to refer to I think what you guys call a "semitrailer".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

I saw a billboard ad over here for Ram Trucks, featuring utes, and was like "that's not a truck, this is a truck"! I've only ever heard "truck" used to refer to I think what you guys call a "semitrailer".

The semi‐trailer is just the trailer.

You mean a semi‐truck.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

The semi‐trailer is just the trailer.

You mean a semi‐truck.

Yeah, the tractor, aka road tractor, aka tractor trailer truck. But here in Australia 'tractor' is pretty much always used to refer to a farm tractor and never a road tractor. Also when an Australian is talking about a truck they almost always mean what the British call a lorry but I gather that when Americans talk about trucks they're usually referring to pickups.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Australians call these trucks, too, right?

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Why would we call a lorry a truck :confused:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sometimes signs like this are required because morons think “I’m in a truck :smuggo:” and take the ramp.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

The Sausages posted:

Why would we call a lorry a truck :confused:

I get a lot of british slang like crisps and bin but I never understood lorry.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

ChesterJT posted:

I get a lot of british slang like crisps and bin but I never understood lorry.

I live in a commonwealth country and we've always used lorries to mean what americans know as box trucks and trucks to mean semi-trailers (even if its just the prime mover without the trailer)

Much more precise than using truck to refer to anything from pickups to road trains imo

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

uvar posted:

I hope the driver was alone:

This happened to me a few years ago except my head flew into the lap of a little girl.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Okay Aatrek.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Australians call these trucks, too, right?

Yeah, thing with a big box on the back. That's a truck. Not a van or a ute, though, those are vans and utes.

e: come to think of it, maaaaaybe that's a van too. When someone says "van" I think of those squat boxy things plumbers and electricians drive, though.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 14, 2017

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah, thing with a big box on the back. That's a truck. Not a van or a ute, though, those are vans and utes.

e: come to think of it, maaaaaybe that's a van too. When someone says "van" I think of those squat boxy things plumbers and electricians drive, though.

Nah, that's definitely not a van, that's a truck. I've lived here for twenty-six years and have lived on both coasts and no-one would consider that a van.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

what? You realise that since 1944 the Dutch aren't part of germany anymore right? So that german video has nothing to do with anything going on in the netherlands?

Every description of the video says it was done by the Dutch army, who had Leopards as part of their military only up until 2011.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you're American and you want a ute, the Honda Ridgeline probably qualifies.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Subaru Brat. Or Baja.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FuturePastNow posted:

No. No it does not.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I live in a commonwealth country and we've always used lorries to mean what americans know as box trucks and trucks to mean semi-trailers (even if its just the prime mover without the trailer)

Much more precise than using truck to refer to anything from pickups to road trains imo

I know what a lorry is to people who use the term. I'm saying I don't understand why they do. The etymology of it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Truck is a category with subcategories.

Pickup truck, semi truck, box truck, etc.

Basically any class of vehicle where the utility portion of the vehicle is typically separate from the passenger compartment and easily reconfigured is a truck. Ridgelines, Avalanches, utes, and chassis-cab vans all introduce some grey area to that rule, but for the most part it works.

FuturePastNow posted:

If you're looking at the rational reasons to have a ute, such as having something with most of the good characteristics of a car while still having the truck capabilities a normal person is likely to actually use, you are correct.

I suspect however that most of the people on the internet who wish we could get utes in America are like me and are more interested in the specifics of the Australian utes, particularly their rear wheel drive and available high-power engines. We don't want a relatively practical family hauler with a pickup bed, we want a muscle car with a pickup bed.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

ChesterJT posted:

I know what a lorry is to people who use the term. I'm saying I don't understand why they do. The etymology of it.

Wikipedia posted:

"Lorry" has a more uncertain origin, but probably has its roots in the rail transport industry, where the word is known to have been used in 1838 to refer to a type of truck (a goods wagon as in British usage, not a bogie as in the American), specifically a large flat wagon. It probably derives from the verb lurry (to pull, tug) of uncertain origin. Its expanded meaning, "self-propelled vehicle for carrying goods", has been in usage since 1911. Before that, the word "lorry" was used for a sort of big horse-drawn goods wagon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

El Camino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Or a used Subaru Baja.