Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I'm def pre-ordering now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Waltzing Along posted:

Talking to Sovereign in ME1 was because you turned on a beacon and he responded thinking you were Saren. Then he basically told you that he was going to kill you and you couldn't understand why. So your point is invalid. I mean, I guess he could have totally ignored you but it's a game and they did a good job and came about as close to your ideal as they could.

The reapers were dread in the first game.

But you post is probably just a troll because there is no way that you could actually mean what you said and still be able to bathe and feed yourself.

Not a troll. Think about what the reapers fundamentally are: An AI race who has been alive for millions of years and whose sole purpose through all of them has been to reap the milky way of any organic race who reaches a certain technological ability. Putting aside the stupidity of their purpose in the first place, they've been doing this for a thousand cycles. Them reaping the galaxy is quite literally the same thing as a pest control guy spraying your house down.

You say it makes sense because Sovereign thought we were Saren. I'm saying it doesn't make sense because why the hell would he respond to Saren's call either? Why did he bother with the entire Saren plotline? If you were a million year old space AI squid, you'd already done this job a thousand times before, why would you bother with all of this poo poo and tip your hand instead of just sending out the signal to the dark fleet and waiting? You already control the geth, just have the geth ride in and send out your citadel signal. No one has seen them for 300 years, so everyone would still be just as surprised, and it's what you ended up doing anyway. Why bother with Saren at all? Why dick around doing pretty much everything he did in the first game?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

gently caress bioware goddamn

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Not a troll. Think about what the reapers fundamentally are: An AI race who has been alive for millions of years and whose sole purpose through all of them has been to reap the milky way of any organic race who reaches a certain technological ability. Putting aside the stupidity of their purpose in the first place, they've been doing this for a thousand cycles. Them reaping the galaxy is quite literally the same thing as a pest control guy spraying your house down.

You say it makes sense because Sovereign thought we were Saren. I'm saying it doesn't make sense because why the hell would he respond to Saren's call either? Why did he bother with the entire Saren plotline? If you were a million year old space AI squid, you'd already done this job a thousand times before, why would you bother with all of this poo poo and tip your hand instead of just sending out the signal to the dark fleet and waiting? You already control the geth, just have the geth ride in and send out your citadel signal. No one has seen them for 300 years, so everyone would still be just as surprised, and it's what you ended up doing anyway. Why bother with Saren at all? Why dick around doing pretty much everything he did in the first game?

Lol do you not remember the entire plot of the first game? He couldn't send the signal because the surviving protheans hosed with the citadel's comms so Sovy needed someone to a) figure out what the gently caress happened and b) fix it.

You're forgetting part A. That's why Sovy specifically hosed with Saren, who because of his spectre status could freely access the Citadel and information stores. And they made it pretty clear that the geth fleet couldn't stand agains the combined might of the council fleet. Jesus Christ.

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 14, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
bim bing bang bang so simple

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol do you not remember the entire plot of the first game? He couldn't send the signal because the surviving protheans hosed with the citadel's comms so Sovy needed someone to a) figure out what the gently caress happened and b) fix it.

You're forgetting part A. That's why Sovy specifically hosed with Saren, who because of his spectre status could freely access the Citadel and information stores. And they made it pretty clear that the geth fleet couldn't stand agains the combined might of the council fleet. Jesus Christ.

I probably am forgetting huge parts of ME1's story, mainly because playing the game again after 2 and 3 is a chore, but if that was the purpose why did Saren spend so little time at the citadel? What was the purpose of the Benezia thing? You catch him and expose him and all that jazz, but why did he personally go to get the beacon when that's not what Sovereign wanted him for?

Also the fleet outside of the citadel wasn't the entire combined council fleet, it was pieces of everyone's fleets. The flagship was there, but if you control the geth then you can quite literally slam all of the geth into it and have what you want. That'd be a plus for sovereign, since they have to get rid of the geth anyway.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Well in that case you're the pet character of this thread

:five:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think you're stuck on this idea that Reapers are pest control, and since humans are as roaches to them then Reapers should simply be unintelligible cosmic horrors. Of course, the game contradicts you on this - the Reapers are intelligible, Sovereign does talk to Shepard and Saren, Harbinger does target Shepard for elimination. Any reading has to account for these facts, not handwave them away as mistakes. The error isn't Bioware's, it's yours.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

I probably am forgetting huge parts of ME1's story, mainly because playing the game again after 2 and 3 is a chore, but if that was the purpose why did Saren spend so little time at the citadel? What was the purpose of the Benezia thing? You catch him and expose him and all that jazz, but why did he personally go to get the beacon when that's not what Sovereign wanted him for?

Also the fleet outside of the citadel wasn't the entire combined council fleet, it was pieces of everyone's fleets. The flagship was there, but if you control the geth then you can quite literally slam all of the geth into it and have what you want. That'd be a plus for sovereign, since they have to get rid of the geth anyway.

Dude I'm not gonna sit and explain the plot to you, go read Wikipedia or something. It all made sense in game.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Well in that case you're the pet character of this thread

I am the undefeated champion of Masseffectology.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

... they have to get the villain into a scene where it explains itself.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Dude I'm not gonna sit and explain the plot to you, go read Wikipedia or something. It all made sense in game.

I just did, actually, and now I remember that Saren had to leave to find the conduit because he needed a backdoor onto the citadel... when he was a spectre and could have just walked in whenever he wanted, or at least he could have before Shepard hosed it up, but that wasn't until way after he could have solved the entire problem. The conduit was a backdoor into the citadel, but the conduit doesn't fix the problem the citadel has, which is it's not sending out the signal, and since the keepers were supposed to be sending out the signal and sovereign would have known that, they would have been the first place he looked. Saren was looking for the conduit before even Eden Prime, and at the time he could have just walked onto the citadel. The only way any of it makes sense is if Sovereign somehow doesn't know anything about the reapers' own plan.

The conduit exists to be an infodump for the player's sake. It's a pretty cool infodump, but that's all it is.

So, fine, Saren was a piece of sovereign's plan that makes sense, but nothing Saren does makes sense as part of sovereign's plan. Gotcha.

Lt. Danger posted:

I think you're stuck on this idea that Reapers are pest control, and since humans are as roaches to them then Reapers should simply be unintelligible cosmic horrors. Of course, the game contradicts you on this - the Reapers are intelligible, Sovereign does talk to Shepard and Saren, Harbinger does target Shepard for elimination. Any reading has to account for these facts, not handwave them away as mistakes. The error isn't Bioware's, it's yours.

I'm not stuck on it so much as it's the only thing that makes sense given their premise. Everything else was building on that faulty premise; that's why I'm handwaving it all away. Also you're not my real dad, you can't tell me what to do, etc.

Keep in mind I actually really like ME2 and 3, and I liked a lot of ME1 when I played it, but only after I cheated in a ridiculous gun/armor to ignore the game mechanics and play through the story, but I think the strengths of their writing would have been much better served by leaving the reapers as a force of nature villain and showing us everyone's reaction to them. Small scale stories are where they do good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean are these a lot of words about how the sci fi movie plot makes no sense when you think of it.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I just did, actually, and now I remember that Saren had to leave to find the conduit because he needed a backdoor onto the citadel... when he was a spectre and could have just walked in whenever he wanted, or at least he could have before Shepard hosed it up, but that wasn't until way after he could have solved the entire problem. The conduit was a backdoor into the citadel, but the conduit doesn't fix the problem the citadel has, which is it's not sending out the signal, and since the keepers were supposed to be sending out the signal and sovereign would have known that, they would have been the first place he looked. Saren was looking for the conduit before even Eden Prime, and at the time he could have just walked onto the citadel. The only way any of it makes sense is if Sovereign somehow doesn't know anything about the reapers' own plan.

The conduit exists to be an infodump for the player's sake. It's a pretty cool infodump, but that's all it is.

So, fine, Saren was a piece of sovereign's plan that makes sense, but nothing Saren does makes sense as part of sovereign's plan. Gotcha.

I'm not stuck on it so much as it's the only thing that makes sense given their premise. Everything else was building on that faulty premise; that's why I'm handwaving it all away. Also you're not my real dad, you can't tell me what to do, etc.

Keep in mind I actually really like ME2 and 3, and I liked a lot of ME1 when I played it, but only after I cheated in a ridiculous gun/armor to ignore the game mechanics and play through the story, but I think the strengths of their writing would have been much better served by leaving the reapers as a force of nature villain and showing us everyone's reaction to them. Small scale stories are where they do good.

Saren was tryna undermine the Reapers while working for Sovereign, and prove that this cycle was worthy of sparing. Over the course of the game he becomes indoctrinated further and further, because Sov both knows of and doesn't care for his ulterior motives.

He needs the Conduit because he blew his cover by being a giant rear end in a top hat.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lol at still caring about video game plots in 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The madmen. The absolute madmen.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Mass Effect is good. Except when it's bad. Then it's either insanely good or insanely bad.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

We'll bang okay? good.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Saren needs the Conduit because he needs to let Sovereign into the Citadel so it can interface directly with its mass relay. The only way he can do that uninterrupted is by sneaking a geth army past the Council fleets.

Well, the premise of the Reapers is that they are millenia-old genocidal AI race and they are very interested in the goings-on of puny organics. You propose that the Reapers are cosmic horrors that harvest the galaxy for unknowable reasons, but Bioware somehow accidentally wrote literally hours of material saying the opposite, and it's the game's fault that you are wrong.

The Reapers aren't humans wiping an unfortunate cockroach off the bottom of their shoe, they're farmers. The reason for their existence is to husband organic life. It's not pest control, it's agriculture.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lt. Danger posted:

I am the undefeated champion of Masseffectology.

Not while I'm still breathing!

It's over, Lieutenant! I have the high ground!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

You underestimate my autism!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Mass Effect Andromeda comes out we're going to be going all

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
New Mass Effect alien revealed.

edited for spoiler

Looks good.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 15, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drifter posted:

New Mass Effect alien revealed.

edited for spoiler

Looks good.

So that's where Hector Beerlioz's avatar went.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drifter posted:

That said, The WORST parts of these rpgs is all the walking in order to talk to your team. Twelve minutes of gametime in order to run around and have a small two line dialog with your crew. :barf:

Definitely agree. Between loading, crafting/collecting, travel, war table stuff, etc. sometimes in game sessions of DA or ME I barely see any combat action. And I barely talked to half my team in Inquisition because Skyhold was such a chore to get around.

Also, did the Normandy always have loading screens between its various floors or was that just ME1? That was super annoying.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Characters should really come to you. It's not that hard. :mard:

Lobok posted:

Definitely agree. Between loading, crafting/collecting, travel, war table stuff, etc. sometimes in game sessions of DA or ME I barely see any combat action. And I barely talked to half my team in Inquisition because Skyhold was such a chore to get around.

Also, did the Normandy always have loading screens between its various floors or was that just ME1? That was super annoying.

Just ME 1 - but ME2 and 3 streamed a bit at times. But no hard loading. I really don't understand why ME1 had to load stuff, though. Size couldn't have been an issue.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Lobok posted:

In ME2 as well. I remember a loading screen disguised as a checkpoint in ME3, can't recall if the elevator had loading screens as well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah. Each level of the Normandy in 2 was a load screen. In me3 there was even a load screen separating two parts of a single floor!

Supposedly there are no load screens to the Tempest.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lobok posted:

ME2 had the absolute worst until they patched it, sometimes it would take over a minute to go between decks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

IIRC the Normandy load screens in ME2 are entirely illusory on PC and can be bypassed with some launch command.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

exquisite tea posted:

IIRC the Normandy load screens in ME2 are entirely illusory on PC and can be bypassed with some launch command.

That might be another way. The method I used was to overwrite the video files with blank files. Load times were ludicrously fast afterwards.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Replaying ME2 on pc is worth it just to avoid the load times.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

They were and they were also patched eventually. Now if you play ME2 load screens vanish once whatever you're doing loads.

1.02? Not sure but that's the most recent patch for it I have saved, looking through my old bioware downloads.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 15, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I wish they had patched in the ability to skip anything in the intro. God drat it takes a long time to get to character creation.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I am thinking(hoping?) the new enemy aliens are going to be what the protheans were their cycle. Which will be pretty cool. A step back from the cosmic horrors but still a legitimate threat.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

dazoner posted:

I am thinking(hoping?) the new enemy aliens are going to be what the protheans were their cycle. Which will be pretty cool. A step back from the cosmic horrors but still a legitimate threat.

I hear they're not going to be out and out evil bad guys, just guy you maybe clash with once in a while. So... Batarians, maybe? Just with more power/influence on their side, and not just an entire race of slavers, hopefully.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zakmonster posted:

I hear they're not going to be out and out evil bad guys, just guy you maybe clash with once in a while. So... Batarians, maybe? Just with more power/influence on their side, and not just an entire race of slavers, hopefully.
They've hinted that you'll be interacting with the Kett 'diplomatically', so yea I think they're going that direction more.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

To continue my Mass Effect was derived from Star Trek initially, the Batarians are the Romulans to the Krogans Klingons.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dazoner posted:

Yeah. The assault on Virmire was a great part of ME1 and had nothing to do with space lobsters (until the end) so more of that would be good content.

Bring down the sky wasn't bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jack2142 posted:

To continue my Mass Effect was derived from Star Trek initially, the Batarians are the Romulans to the Krogans Klingons.

The Geth and Quarians are Battlestar Galactica. Mass Effect is every sci-fi slapped together.