Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

zen death robot posted:

We all do silly things in our youth, like join the military:grin:

eh I got a debt-free bachelors and masters degree out of it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Nystral posted:

Is there a way to set the max cache size for the app? About a week ago I noticed I was out of space on my 16gb iPad Air and went to the storage utilized bit of iOS and saw Awful,was using 1.77gb of space. Nuked it and reinstalled as I didn't think to log out.

Now I'm seeing Awful creep from initially 85mb to almost 200mb over the course of about a week. Anything that I can do? Is this an isolated incident?

There is no such setting unfortunately. And no, definitely not an isolated incident. Something's busted with the cache pruning. It's on my list!

carry on then posted:

I thought we required iOS 9 for recent versions of Awful, since we've been upconverting the Swift code as each release of that language comes out. Pokeyman?

Yeah we're iOS 9+, though nothing Swift-related requires it.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I was mostly jailbroken for accessibility/QOL reasons (f.lux and a dimming utility) but a lot of that is moot now with the later versions of iOS. Anyway, now running latest firmware and not jailbroken, still having same issue- I'm going to try to reset my password when I get home tonight and see if that makes a difference.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It definitely sounds like an issue managing your session, but a delete + reinstall should blow that away no problem and leave you with a blank slate.

Stab in the dark: does your password have any non-ascii characters? Maybe I broke something in that department.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Logged out and logged back in to clear my nearly-2gb-cache. First login attempt crashed my app, second succeeded. But all my settings were reset (text size, dark mode, sorting unread threads first). Is that intended behavior?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Delete and reinstall worked immediately, no clue why I didn't think to try it first. Ah well, gave me a reason to get off my rear end and update my phone so no harm done. Thanks!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Feature suggestion: add a button to the post ... menu that scrolls to the top of that individual post.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hello this app is cool and good thanks for all the hard work fam

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I'm an idiot baby still running a jailbroken 6+ on 8.1.2 firmware because I didn't feel like updating and losing the jailbreak or waiting for a new jailbreak and then I just sort of gave up on caring about things and now here I am with this dinosaur firmware. v:shobon:v

For the past two weeks the preview post page has been erroring out and doing the forums as a whole a favor by making it so I couldn't post from my phone. I turned off the preview option, but posting still wouldn't work. I just now deleted the app, reinstalled, and it won't recognize my password. Changed my password, still won't recognize it.

I should update my firmware and use a supported version of the app huh

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Closing tags with the "[/..]" key still duplicates the most recent square brackets instead of actually closing the most recent open tag (e.g. "[//..]" if I hit that here.)

Also when using dark mode background, a bunch of animated gifs (including emoticons) still leave prior frames behind in pixels that should be transparent on certain frames, e.g. :angel: and :roflolmao: and :yikes:

withak posted:

Feature suggestion: add a button to the post ... menu that scrolls to the top of that individual post.

Also a "scroll to next post" button into the poster's name menu, s'il vous plaît, Pokeyhomme!

But that leads me to my real reason for posting here today: thank you so much for the app again remembering your location within a page if the app crashes or is otherwise evicted from memory!! :woop: :bubblewoop:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Grace Baiting posted:

But that leads me to my real reason for posting here today: thank you so much for the app again remembering your location within a page if the app crashes or is otherwise evicted from memory!! :woop: :bubblewoop:

Exactly what I just came here to post. Huge thanks, guys!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

pokeyman posted:

It definitely sounds like an issue managing your session, but a delete + reinstall should blow that away no problem and leave you with a blank slate.

Stab in the dark: does your password have any non-ascii characters? Maybe I broke something in that department.

My password is just letters and numbers now and it doesn't work.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Bummey posted:

I'm an idiot baby still running a jailbroken 6+ on 8.1.2 firmware because I didn't feel like updating and losing the jailbreak or waiting for a new jailbreak and then I just sort of gave up on caring about things and now here I am with this dinosaur firmware. v:shobon:v

For the past two weeks the preview post page has been erroring out and doing the forums as a whole a favor by making it so I couldn't post from my phone. I turned off the preview option, but posting still wouldn't work. I just now deleted the app, reinstalled, and it won't recognize my password. Changed my password, still won't recognize it.

This exact thing happened to me earlier this week. My iTunes/Apple ID got screwed up so I was running an old OS and a billion apps that needed updates.

Ended up having to create a new Apple ID and delete/reinstall every app on my phone. A pain but fixed my Awful App problem!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This all sounds much better than just updating your phone, I agree.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
How can I add a thread to My bookmarks?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

serious norman posted:

How can I add a thread to My bookmarks?

Long press on the thread in a thread list and hit Mark, or press the share button (lower right corner) when reading the thread.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Just installed this app, but tweets aren't embedding even with Load Images, Embed Tweets and Always Animate GIFs checked. Am I missing something?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bigass Moth posted:

Just installed this app, but tweets aren't embedding even with Load Images, Embed Tweets and Always Animate GIFs checked. Am I missing something?
What's your adblocker situation like

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

anthonypants posted:

I have no adblocker configured at all.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

That shouldn't matter at all in the app.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bigass Moth posted:

I have no adblocker configured at all.
Is it a specific tweet that isn't embedding, because it's been deleted or because that account is private/suspended?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Well now this is weird, it looks like it was just a few tweets in one thread, but everyone else they're working. If I see it again I'll gather some more info but I guess it's ok.

The problem tweets don't display on the iphone app, but they do display on my pc.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I don't know if this is a bug or if it's just not a thing yet, but gifs don't show up in leper's colony for me.

Thanks for the app, though, it's great :3:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Can you ignore people from in the app?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Keith Atherton posted:

This exact thing happened to me earlier this week. My iTunes/Apple ID got screwed up so I was running an old OS and a billion apps that needed updates.

Ended up having to create a new Apple ID and delete/reinstall every app on my phone. A pain but fixed my Awful App problem!

Not gonna do that.

Endless Mike posted:

This all sounds much better than just updating your phone, I agree.

Or that.

Guess it's browser app posting for me from now on.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Bummey posted:

Not gonna do that.

Or that.

Just update your iOS, Jesus. 10 rules.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
can awful integrate with apple health to show my current weight and step count in each post i make?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mad Wack posted:

can awful integrate with apple health to show my current weight and step count in each post i make?

Sorry 64 bit architecture MAXINT can only go so high

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bummey posted:

Not gonna do that.

Or that.

Sorry dude but we really don't have old environments and versions of the app around to test with. Does the iOS 8 simulator even run on Sierra? Because I left 8 behind on all my devices long ago.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

carry on then posted:

Sorry dude but we really don't have old environments and versions of the app around to test with. Does the iOS 8 simulator even run on Sierra? Because I left 8 behind on all my devices long ago.

I think I have a test device running 8 but I will not be helping out because lol jailbreakers

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Anyone?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Post preview on ipad seems to be ignoring the dark mode setting and always displaying nondark mode

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jivjov posted:

Logged out and logged back in to clear my nearly-2gb-cache. First login attempt crashed my app, second succeeded. But all my settings were reset (text size, dark mode, sorting unread threads first). Is that intended behavior?

It is, yeah. I admit it's pretty inconvenient when there's an ongoing issue with ballooning cache sizes.

withak posted:

That's a good idea. I rarely come across giant posts that are annoying enough for this to be useful, but it'd be awesome for when I do.

Bummey posted:

I won't be very helpful on such old versions of things, so if you can update iOS then that's my suggestion!

Grace Baiting posted:

Closing tags with the "[/..]" key still duplicates the most recent square brackets instead of actually closing the most recent open tag (e.g. "[//..]" if I hit that here.)

Yeah. I'll +1 on my endless todo list :)

quote:

Also when using dark mode background, a bunch of animated gifs (including emoticons) still leave prior frames behind in pixels that should be transparent on certain frames, e.g. :angel: and :roflolmao: and :yikes:

This one I'm not sure what to do about. But I'll make a note!

quote:

Also a "scroll to next post" button into the poster's name menu, s'il vous plaît, Pokeyhomme!

Also a good idea.

quote:

Yeah it works much better now. gj carry on then!

stone cold posted:

I don't know if this is a bug or if it's just not a thing yet, but gifs don't show up in leper's colony for me.

Not a thing yet. We just grab the text and leave behind any images or formatting.

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Nope. I'll +1 the feature on the list!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Post preview on ipad seems to be ignoring the dark mode setting and always displaying nondark mode

Works On My Machine? Any other info you can give me?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Coq au Nandos posted:

But then he couldn't pirate apps.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gifv support please!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bummey posted:

Not gonna do that.

Or that.

I used to jailbreak too. Then Apple put basically everything I modified in as a standard feature so there's no need to maintain the jailbreak.

Coq au Nandos posted:

It does.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

But then he couldn't pirate apps.

No, that can't possibly be the reason.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
This is a weird one. About half the time I rotate my phone to landscape orientation the app locks up and I have to kill the process.

iPhone 6, Awful App 3.2, IOS 10.2

Edit: Seems to happen if I rotate the phone right after refreshing a thread, from the main forum list it doesn't happen

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 14, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Keith Atherton posted:

This is a weird one. About half the time I rotate my phone to landscape orientation the app locks up and I have to kill the process.

iPhone 6, Awful App 3.2, IOS 10.2
Yeah, this is a known issue with the app.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pokeyman posted:

Works On My Machine? Any other info you can give me?

I just went into awful settings and toggled it twice, I'll let you know if it pops up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I found a glitch in the matrix

• Locked thread