Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Wooow Irithyll is gorgeous. :swoon: I wonder if there's anywhere in the real world that looks even remotely like that (cyclopean-scale architecture aside).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Why is it you sometimes get a charge of estus refilled? I think in DS1 it was when someone kindled the bonfire you were last at but that doesn't work for DS3.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Enemies have a chance for random drops of estus refills

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

hanales posted:

Why didn't/couldn't they bring back the "This area has a lot of people near your level doing things" red rings

It was a cool mechanic from 2 so of course they didn't bring it back.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dragonwagon posted:

I just realized it's possible to turn Irina into a firekeeper before Eygon visits the shrine. Did anyone do this yet? Does he have different dialogue?

Doesn't Eygon die after Irina becomes a firekeeper? So, I'm guessing he just wouldn't show up.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Dragonwagon posted:

I just realized it's possible to turn Irina into a firekeeper before Eygon visits the shrine. Did anyone do this yet? Does he have different dialogue?

I did this, he just shows up and says the same poo poo then is dead after beating Dragonslayer Armor

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Lame. You'd think he'd find Irina getting her poo poo together at least somewhat noteworthy.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
OTOH it's astounding that doing steps out of order doesn't somehow get both of them killed like with every other NPC quest. :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Any PS4 goon want to help me out with Pontiff?

PSN ID: Annath918

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Annath posted:

Any PS4 goon want to help me out with Pontiff?

PSN ID: Annath918

Just sent a message on PS4

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Muchos gracias. Down in 2!

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Doesn't Eygon die after Irina becomes a firekeeper? So, I'm guessing he just wouldn't show up.

To my understanding another requirment to kill himself is dragonslayer armor needs to be dead.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
It's a shame because you can tell they thought Return to the Painted World would be a big crowd pleaser but it's gone down like a lead balloon.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
I've never really gotten the impression that FROM has chosen their settings based on what would "please the crowd".

If anything the whole DLC feels like some kind of metaphor for the state of the Dark Souls series where you enter a fictional world (painting/videogame) which is sort of new but also very familiar and rather than the mysterious and intriguing DS1 painted world it's now frozen and rotting, stagnant and decaying. The only thing to really do is to burn it all away and start again with a whole new painting.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah it's a more overt example of the thread through out the game of putting the series to rest.

Filthyfrankitstimetostop.mp4

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah it's a more overt example of the thread through out the game of putting the series to rest.

I'm fine with that. It just needs to be worth 15 bucks.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Small and Blue posted:

I've never really gotten the impression that FROM has chosen their settings based on what would "please the crowd".

If anything the whole DLC feels like some kind of metaphor for the state of the Dark Souls series where you enter a fictional world (painting/videogame) which is sort of new but also very familiar and rather than the mysterious and intriguing DS1 painted world it's now frozen and rotting, stagnant and decaying. The only thing to really do is to burn it all away and start again with a whole new painting.

Did it actually take making a game to say that, though?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yeah for all you know they are just cobbling together easy-to-use assets and lazy storylines rather than being intentonally trite as some sort of cheeky metaphor, I mean they're still a company cranking out products for $$$

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Small and Blue posted:

This is a pretty dumb way to view it because From are the ones controlling the series. They could make totally new areas that are completely original. But they don't, because From is probably the most indulgent company ever when it comes to referencing their other games. Them trying to deliver that kind of message would be amazingly hypocritical.

The state of the Painted World is just supposed to be a mirror of the real Dark Souls world. There are tons of parallels between what you do there and the Undead quest to kindle the First Flame.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
In other news I can't stop playing these loving games

My quality build run is turning out to be a never-ending pursuit for titanite shards

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Anyone want to have fun in Lothric Castle? PS4: Annath918
Level: 77

e: No bites, from goons anyway. Downed Dragonslayer Armor. Passing out now :v:

Annath fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 16, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

KingSlime posted:

In other news I can't stop playing these loving games

My quality build run is turning out to be a never-ending pursuit for titanite shards

I have hundreds of them now on my luck build. Currently stuck at anor Londo boss

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The dlc is From asking you over and over if you get it yet. :v:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
AGDQ reminded me that this game exists and that it has some dlc to pick up so time to jump back into it. I don't think I've actually completed the base game yet even. Got kind of stonewalled for a long time on Pontiff. Figure I'll delete whatever old saves I have and start fresh once I decide what sort of character to do. Are the Drang Hammers actually good? I remember seeing videos before of people using them and the attack animations/aggressiveness of it was fun to watch.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Pontiff was really hard for me too. I'm really really bad at the boss fights

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
The boss fights in this one felt very much like the team said "okay how can we still make this a slog even for veteran players who play naked" so don't feel too bad.

Keep on slamming your head again that wall and let muscle memory do its thing.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

LtSmash posted:

Why is it you sometimes get a charge of estus refilled? I think in DS1 it was when someone kindled the bonfire you were last at but that doesn't work for DS3.

It's after you defeat a certain number of enemies or one really strong enemy. You also get one any time an opposing player dies during invasions/duels.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

...! posted:

It's after you defeat a certain number of enemies or one really strong enemy. You also get one any time an opposing player dies during invasions/duels.

IIRC the testing people did pointed to it just being a random drop like any of the items you can get from killing enemies. People thought it was what you said because that was how liquid humanity worked in DS1.

You do get guaranteed refills from hostile player deaths, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
One interesting thing about the Estus drops is that it seems like it's split between host and phantom. I've gotten ones as a summon, but the host didn't get poo poo.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Genocyber posted:

IIRC the testing people did pointed to it just being a random drop like any of the items you can get from killing enemies. People thought it was what you said because that was how liquid humanity worked in DS1.

You do get guaranteed refills from hostile player deaths, though.

I coop in grand archives a lot and I always seem to get one from the last red eye knight at the top of the stairs before 2 princes.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
https://clips.twitch.tv/distortion2/CuteFoxPMSTwin Distortion found an Ancient Wyvern skip.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Stokes posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/distortion2/CuteFoxPMSTwin Distortion found an Ancient Wyvern skip.

That is hilarious. Is it a jump attack?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I hope the next dlc clears up some lore questions. This entry was definitely deliberately obtuse and seems to throw what seemed to be very overt contradictions all over the place, probably because we're supposed to figure out that nothing is ever what it looks like and wait that answer is also a red herring and the real deal is this haha eat poo poo losers

It's kinda just obnoxious at this point.

E: Also I'm going to try and avoid all spoilers. The trailer for Ariandel (and the original game) gave away so drat much it was ridiculous. For gently caress's sake, you get to see like four of the major biggest and meanest bosses that you will ever face in this game (and the final end game DLC boss) in each corresponding trailer.

I think I enjoy these games a lot more when I'm fully blind and every area/boss is novel rather than "yep theres that lovely wolf miniboss everyone hates"

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 18, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No lore questions are ever going to be explicitly 'cleared up' in a Souls game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

"Who is Gwyn's firstborn?"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I get that but we could use more details on pointiff, what the gently caress the deal with ludleth is, the praying hollows, the stained glass image in the DLC, the dragon cloth doll, why Yuria mentions Kathee, how exactly this is a reversal of the cycle when the other games also centered on you pushing it forward, the dark soul uncle gael tease.. I mean if this is a direct sequel to DS1 then these holes become even more prominent.

Those are just off the top of my head, no doubt I can find more if I took the time to think about it at greater length.

It just feels that post-DLC bloodborne is actually pretty drat tidy, lore-wise, and the few unleft questions "work." Here I get the feeling that there's a pretty intricate story going on, but whenever I look at one piece it just seems to poo poo all over the other bits of lore and my head hurts. Plus bloodborne and DS1 hosed with expectations a lot, making things very different than you initially perceived once you put 2 and 2 together, so it makes me wonder if the reason that things haven't clicked is because we haven't seen the full piece of the puzzle yet.

Maybe there isn't really a super cohesive lore here. Shame because what is there is extremely my jam.

For now I am still very sketched out by Ludleth. Is he really wanting us to link the fire, or is this some sort of reversal ritual that is tricking us into bringing about the end of these cycles? Idk just a thought

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 18, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am pretty bothered (not in a bad way really) by the whole "there are three Firelinks" thing not even really being talked about by the game, item descriptions or otherwise. It's just a weird-rear end thing about the game world that's plopped in front of you for you to decide what it means. It's a very Demon's Souls esque approach to presenting the physical world itself: "Here's some weird poo poo, what is it here for? Why is it like this? I dunno but it's cool right?"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yep the three shrines also bothered me a lot, two was confusing enough but them bam here's a third exactly identical one before the last guy (who was a pretty uninspired boss imo but that's a whole other topic)

maybe the firelink shrine is actually a modern time machine in the shape of a firelink shrine or a very fancy elevator

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KingSlime posted:

I get that but we could use more details on pointiff, what the gently caress the deal with ludleth is, the praying hollows, the stained glass image in the DLC, the dragon statue, why Yuria mentions Kathee, how exactly this is a reversal of the cycle when the other games also centered on you pushing it forward, the dark soul uncle gael tease. I mean if this is a direct sequel to DS1 then these holes become even more prominent.

The Pontiff is a Corvian that left the Painted World and got involved in a ton of poo poo in Lothric. Possibly he was the First Scholar of the Grand Archives, the one that seeded mistrust of the linking of the fire in Lothric. Ultimately he became a part of the theocracy culminating in becoming its leader. He may have had a hand in making Aldrich a Lord of Cinder, and certainly was responsible for moving him from Irithyll to the Cathedral of the Deep. He's probably one of the characters that we know the most about in the entire franchise, actually, aside from perhaps Vendrick or Aldia.

Ludleth was a Lord of Cinder. That's all the game tells us about him and that's all we really need to know given the place the lords have plot-wise (i.e. merely as kindling for the first flame). Him being any more important is pretty much purely speculation.

I'm not sure what you mean by the praying hollows. If you mean the pilgrims then they're Londor pilgrims making a journey to Lothric so that they can die a final death.

No clue what the stained glass image or dragon statue you're referring to are.

Yuria mentions Kathe because he was an important figure in New Londo which gave rise to Londor, and may still be involved there.

Dunno what you mean by this game being a "reversal of the cycle." It seems pretty clear to me that it's meant to be the end to the cycle that was started in DS1 and perpetuated ad infinitum in DS2.

Uncle Gael was gathering humanity for paint, it's is simple as that. Although it may have been meant more figuratively, searching for the right hollow (you the player) to get things to happen in the Painted World, which would lead to the girl being able to paint a new world.

KingSlime posted:

yep the three shrines also bothered me a lot, two was confusing enough but them bam here's a third exactly identical one before the last guy (who was a pretty uninspired boss imo but that's a whole other topic)

maybe the firelink shrine is actually a modern time machine in the shape of a firelink shrine or a very fancy elevator

I don't see how it's that confusing. Untended Graves is the same shrine as the one you use as a hub but further back in the past. That's why Gundyr is still a bad-rear end and the handmaid in the hub reacts differently if you visit her in Untended Graves first. I don't see "the third" one as being anything other than an area that leads to the kiln. You're attributing more importance to it than it actually has.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I read a theory that the dark Firelink is supposed to be representative of Ludleth's version of Lothric, where there is no first flame anymore and the abyss has escaped to reclaim the world. That's the closest I've really found to an explanation though.