Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Apparently this game is unsinkable.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

cig hasn't done any of that either. And whether its crowdfunded or not, from a new studio or not is completely irrelevant to the question of whether its been done before.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Not even God could sink Star Citizen.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Its insane but the admin of this website made an announcement saying that doxxing is bad. Hmm, I wonder where I've heard that?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ArfJason posted:

Its insane but the admin of this website made an announcement saying that doxxing is bad. Hmm, I wonder where I've heard that?

A July blog.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ArfJason posted:

Doxxing is actually good.

Did you get the severed dog head I mailed you?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/theastropub

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
They've just been debating whether 2.7 is real

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

his nibs posted:

This is the kind of thing you should expect with open development.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
The most important thing to establish straight away is that whether or not 2.7 is actually a thing, it will not delay landmark release 3.0 in any way.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wrecked Angle posted:

The most important thing to establish straight away is that whether or not 2.7 is actually a thing, it will not delay landmark release 3.0 in any way.

What effect will everything shown so far about 3.0 being smoke and mirrors bullshit have on the release timeline?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wrecked Angle posted:

Nothing will delay the release date of 3.0, the current deadline of "dunno lol" is set in stone.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

his nibs posted:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
A patch is only real when there is a $3000 limited ship being sold in conjunction.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

What an important distinction.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thank the heavens above that Roberts is directing this project to the promised land.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

his nibs posted:

It doesnt matter, all patches sort of merge into one, the number is not important. Please learn game development.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

It certainly hasn't been on its maiden voyage.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Galarox posted:

Ok everyone here is the book: How it works: Star Citizen. Clicky the link to download, it's a PDF

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqnozuu9bvnlao6/How%20it%20Works%20-%20Star%20Citizen.pdf?dl=1

Holy poo poo friend this is amazing

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ewe2 posted:

It certainly hasn't been on its maiden voyage.

How many life rafts would Lesnick consume? Not just body mass, but all WC paraphernalia.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol if cig backed itself into a corner with 3.0 being nowhere close to release and having to dump a 2.7 in between to buy themselves time

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Wrecked Angle posted:

quote:

With the complete Stanton-star systems in the Alpha 3.0 the card size should even grow. But all these basic work costs much more time than originally planned.

On the question of the status of Update 3.0 grins Roberts and raises both hands defensively, "I will no timetable or an assessment for an appointment to issue, but there is still much to do. For 3.0-Star Citizen is something like a complete game with all the important corners. "

Then he goes into detail:" The main ingredients are all in work, but there are still a lot of minor things that need to be made, for example, air traffic controls over landing zones. There are only a certain number of landing zones and it can not land a thousand people at once. Therefore, to a meaningful system to be written, like a real airport. . Such things are not necessarily difficult, but a programmer needs for maybe three or four weeks, "

Even things like boarding and security talks on Roberts:" At the moment, each a door open to a spaceship. With Item 2.0, you can close the doors of your spaceship. Then, when someone wants in, he must chop or break the door. "
"So there is still this or that detail, and a multitude of other little things that all must be brought together," Roberts concludes. That does not sound like a release in the near future.

"We've looked at 3.0 and said. We need that and that and that and then we found: drat, that's more than has so many complete game. Therefore, we develop a detailed plan for all tasks and subtasks. If that is done, we will share this plan with the community. This is expected to be the case at some point in January, depending on when the production team the information gets from the project managers. "

What do you think?

---

quote:

Chris Roberts: "There will be the opportunity for players to build their own homes or outposts" How is that possible, it leads immediately afterwards technically made "freight - ie crates or boxes, which are made for example in the cargo hold of a Freelancer - is stored in a persistent database.

Chris saw the No Man's Sky update and got butthurt.

quote:

In addition, it is very difficult to find good network programmers in the games area. Meanwhile, we have a good team, but for a long time we had a few people who have worked on it. And then added that we make a game that has a level of detail and accuracy such as Crysis, but as a multiplayer game and a much larger scale. "

It turns out that if you try to hire a professional to do the impossible, they tend to turn down your job offer.

quote:

In this project, things go very fast, even if it does not appear outwardly as if it would go ahead quickly. One constantly has the feeling: We need to finish getting this thing, we need to crank it out, people waiting on it. The community is awesome, but you already feel that they have a huge appetite for everything they can get. And if times a while nothing comes, then they are a bit grumpy. "

Roberts adds:" People say, 'I want to have it now, I do not care if it is not working properly' And if you do them then. would show or give, they say: 'Hey, that works not at all, which does not look good "But apart from that it annoys me sometimes, I think that we have a very passionate, caring community that. provides us with valuable feedback. "

It is the backers fault that Chris is getting frustrated.

quote:

Ever seems Update 3.0 and the associated features to have had a significant impact on the displacement of the single-player campaign at 2017.

:gary:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Chalks posted:

What an important distinction.

2.6.1 is a minor patch and can't possibly a 2.7 sized patch. You can tell because the 1 comes after the 2.6.

2.6.1 <- see... a little, minor patch :smug:

*2.6.1 takes 2 months to release*

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol if cig backed itself into a corner with 3.0 being nowhere close to release and having to dump a 2.7 in between to buy themselves time

Revision numbers are cool.

You have the ones that have build numbers after the major numbers.

You have the ones that use build numbers as a percentage complete until the big 1.0 release.

Then you have Star Citizen, which basically said "gently caress that" and is in a race with Internet browsers for versioning numbers while in pre-alpha status.

Roberts rules.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

How many life rafts would Lesnick consume? Not just body mass, but all WC paraphernalia.

He would eat them all before they could be used.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

o9

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

What the gently caress?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yo, im glad you all still watch every second of hours long streams of people you hate, but i want to remind you thats incredibly loving weird.
I also want to remind the thread where people doxxed twice that you all need to stop doing that, along with harrassing people and obessing over 50k word reddit posts.
Please stop.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Shut the gently caress up.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Been watching Zelda: BoTW game play vids and just amazed by everything. Compare it to SC and lmao.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Are you kidding? Seriously, do you believe the own bullshit coming out of your mouth? You were FORCED to deliver BC3000.

LOD is literally an extension of every one of your games - ever.

Nice try, clueless Sally. You guys have mastered revisionist history.

Fact. I never released BC3K. The publisher did.

Fact: As I never released BC3K - nor gave the publisher permission to do so, since my contract prevented it; gave me a massive amount of seed money - because 'Derek Smart was right'

Fact: All games are derivatives. Making different games in the same IP, is how you make money. In most forms of media; be it books, movies or games. But you would know that if 1) you were a gamer 2) not making a pointless jab

Fact: I have made more games than Chris Roberts; and I didn't scam - nor beg anyone - for money to make them.

Your turn.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

D_Smart posted:

Nice try, clueless Sally. You guys have mastered revisionist history.

Fact. I never released BC3K. The publisher did.

Fact: As I never released BC3K - nor gave the publisher permission to do so, since my contract prevented it; gave me a massive amount of seed money - because 'Derek Smart was right'

Fact: All games are derivatives. Making different games in the same IP, is how you make money. In most forms of media; be it books, movies or games. But you would know that if 1) you were a gamer 2) not making a pointless jab

Fact: I have made more games than Chris Roberts; and I didn't scam - nor beg anyone - for money to make them.

Your turn.

Full burn. Moma's belt just burst into flames.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I love how they showed an ostensibly playable version of 3.0, seemingly way beyond prototype stage, with what all that ooh-ing and aah-ing about super high framerates, and now there's suddenly a huge as gently caress delay, and no one of these shitizens questions that?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Chalks posted:

That's not really fair. We all know the dev cycle is:

Make something
CR rejects it
Remake something
CR rejects it
Remake something
CR accepts it
CR publically announces that it will do something it doesn't
Remake something
CR rejects it

Trust me, there's a whole lot of dev going on there. In fact, to even accomplish the most basic things, far far more development is required than it would be for any other game due to Chris Roberts and his unique project management style.

Star Citizen: 600% of the game dev, 20% of the results

I think that's close! My take:

CR makes promise.
Art developed.
CR rejects art.
Art rework.
CR rejects.
Art rework.
Programming gets art, starts coding.
CR rejects.
Art rework.
CR rejects.
Art rework.
Programming returns with kind of working item. Art is out of date. Gets latest art.
CR rejects art.
Art rework.
CR watches video of programming and rejects V1.
Art assumes CR means them and starts reworking again out of habit.
Programming gets news, explains even V1 wasn't possible, starts work on V3.

And so on! This is CIG management pipelines kicking in to high gear! :3:

Also important to know the rejections happened because of a video or jpegs CR was sent while on vacation, with minimal interaction with the developers and minimal guidance on what he wants to accept something. There's no "fix this and it's ok" it's a "fix this and then show me again".

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
So Chris did an eye opening interview with a German magazine which I am having translated for a new blog I am going to be working on.

The shocking key takeaway is that

1) he has finally admitted that they don't have enough money to finish the game.

This after raising $140 million.

2) as my sources indicated and which I reported back in Oct, 3.0 didn't exist at the time when he was claiming it was coming before Dec 19th, 2016.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5nzm2j/some_insight_on_financials_from_gamestar_interview/

So, I was right again, huh?

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

ArfJason posted:

Yo, im glad you all still watch every second of hours long streams of people you hate, but i want to remind you thats incredibly loving weird.
I also want to remind the thread where people doxxed twice that you all need to stop doing that, along with harrassing people and obessing over 50k word reddit posts.
Please stop.

I like your gimmick. It perfectly captures the foolish, ironic obsession of all Star Citizen communities (pro-con or con-con). I particularly enjoy the hypocritical lack of self-awareness. You've captured the overarching themes well, including that lusty need for fame or infamy.

A+ troll.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ArfJason posted:

Please stop.

You should go tell the dudes at KiwiFarms IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
HaHa sorry guys we accidentally added in to the game filez this song which totally isn't going to be parp of squadron 42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_5UZfwX0ss