Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nebraska Tim posted:

Still getting used to having rubber grips, but these were a good buy. Thanks the advice!

The little dots? I think they are removable if you unscrew the black plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Gym Leader Barack posted:

The little dots? I think they are removable if you unscrew the black plate.

I'm dumb, and now they're perfect.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I play bass and a little guitar and I've been thinking about learning drums for a few years, but space and noise have been an issue. Not like I like in an apartment, but I don't have much more space for music gear and my wife's 1-2 rooms away at all times, so an actual drum set has always been out of the question. About 3 years ago my brother in law got a cheapy e-drum kit (like, the cheapest one in the shop, with no idea what he was doing) and it looked and sounded pretty bad.

Last week a friend of mine bought a Roland TD-1KV e-drum set. He's not a great drummer, but it sounded pretty OK to me. I mucked around on it a bit (I have no idea what I'm doing), and it was pretty fun, I now see why "get a mesh snare" is common advice. So I've been thinking about getting a set of electronic drums in about that price range. I can fit them into my space, and the wife reckons they're not too loud (she doesn't mind me cranking up the bass amp, but she's rightfully wary of me playing loud on an instrument I haven't played before suck at).

Is the TD-1KV a good beginner set? There's lots of reviews of this kit saying "OMG awesome" but I have no idea what to listen or look for so I can't judge for myself. Are there any pros/cons I should know about compared to similarly priced sets? If I was going to stay in roughly that price range and buy used, what better stuff should I look out for? Any other advice? Is this a stupid thing to buy to learn drums on? Why, or why not?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I've got a Roland TD-4 and eventually got a "real" acoustic set as well.

I understand the pain of drums being too loud for most living situations.

When I bought the TD-4, I thought that I could to use it to record drums for demos. It does sound really good, especially when using MIDI to control drum software on the computer, but it just never felt right. Acoustic drums have a lot of tactile feedback that even the highest-tier of electronic drums aren't able to mimic yet. If you watch slowed down footage of drums on YouTube, you can see how drum heads and cymbals ripple in waves whenever they're hit with the stick. This feedback just isn't there. Additionally, hits on an electronic drum set will occasionally double-hit or misfire or not fire at all.

I personally think that a cheaper electronic drum set paired with the video game Rock Band is a better investment. Rock Band isn't a substitute for a teacher especially when it comes to technique, but it effectively teaches the fundamentals of managing hand/foot separation, has an excellent built-in learning curve, and demonstrates how drums work in a wide variety of genres.

I'm taking a leap by assuming that you already have a xbox 360/one or a playstation 3/4. If you don't have a gaming console, then you'd probably be better served with an electronic set. Just be prepared to acknowledge its downsides and make sure you're still getting it for the right reasons.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AlphaDog posted:

I play bass and a little guitar and I've been thinking about learning drums for a few years, but space and noise have been an issue. Not like I like in an apartment, but I don't have much more space for music gear and my wife's 1-2 rooms away at all times, so an actual drum set has always been out of the question. About 3 years ago my brother in law got a cheapy e-drum kit (like, the cheapest one in the shop, with no idea what he was doing) and it looked and sounded pretty bad.

Last week a friend of mine bought a Roland TD-1KV e-drum set. He's not a great drummer, but it sounded pretty OK to me. I mucked around on it a bit (I have no idea what I'm doing), and it was pretty fun, I now see why "get a mesh snare" is common advice. So I've been thinking about getting a set of electronic drums in about that price range. I can fit them into my space, and the wife reckons they're not too loud (she doesn't mind me cranking up the bass amp, but she's rightfully wary of me playing loud on an instrument I haven't played before suck at).

Is the TD-1KV a good beginner set? There's lots of reviews of this kit saying "OMG awesome" but I have no idea what to listen or look for so I can't judge for myself. Are there any pros/cons I should know about compared to similarly priced sets? If I was going to stay in roughly that price range and buy used, what better stuff should I look out for? Any other advice? Is this a stupid thing to buy to learn drums on? Why, or why not?

E-drums are great to learn on, the capacity for silent midnight practice outweighs whatever negatives the kits generally have. There are some concessions that have to be made in regard to playability and response (rubber vs steel etc) but a decent e-kit can feel just as nice to play as an acoustic set, and the flexibility to change the sound of the whole kit at the touch of a button opens up a huge amount of kit experimentation that previously required buying a ton of drums or spending weeks in the drum shops switching out different parts. Once I get the space I am totally going to get a sick acoustic kit for sure but my e-drums have done me well for the past 8 years and still play like they did on day one.

The TD-1KV would be ok for a while but you would probably outgrow it fairly soon if you took more of an interest in drums, probably the worst part of that kit would be the fake kick pedal, it won't feel or respond anything like a real kick drum so whatever foot technique you develop here will need modification if you upgrade to an acoustic kit later on. Also the lack of adjustment with the drum positioning could inhibit your learning, you might be more comfortable with a nice wide layout but would never know because your kit forces you to play in such a narrow arc. Mesh heads are definitely superior (kick drums can be either), the rubber ones have a different response, not terrible but feels more like a practice pad than a drum and quite a lot louder than mesh.

For your money you would be much better shopping second hand, check ebay/craigslist/gumtree and you could probably find one of the older upper-mid-range kits like the TD-9 with full mesh pads and a proper kick pedal for less cash than the TD-1KV. Most Roland stuff made since 2008 or so is still fairly relevant compared to today's edrum market, will be missing a few features but still sound and play great.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My use for this thing would be "learn drums, hopefully eventually record as midi into cubase to go along with my adequate bass and subpar guitar playing". I'm not intending to record an album and try to sell it or anything, I just like making music and I'd like being able to do all the music "by hand" instead of entering drums into cubase and messing around with Addictive Drums and trying to get it to sound right with no firsthand idea about how an actual drum kit is played. I mean, trying to make, say, a bassline by clicking on the piano roll and moving sliders works, but it doesn't sound human and if you didn't play bass it's likely that what you created would sound weird, and I'm guessing it's the same with drums.

Second hand is an option! OK, so checklist for second hand would be mesh heads where possible, definitely on the snare. Real kick pedal. Everything adjustable if possible. What do I look for in terms of common stuff that might be wrong, get damaged, etc? Like, I can find a twisted neck on a guitar, or a rattly speaker in a cab, or spot an amp that's having input problems, but I wouldn't know where to start with e-drums.

Gym Leader Barack posted:

For your money you would be much better shopping second hand, check ebay/craigslist/gumtree and you could probably find one of the older upper-mid-range kits like the TD-9 with full mesh pads and a proper kick pedal for less cash than the TD-1KV. Most Roland stuff made since 2008 or so is still fairly relevant compared to today's edrum market, will be missing a few features but still sound and play great.

Can I ask where you are? I'm in Melbourne, Australia. I can find the TD-1KV new at a couple of places for around $800. There's a secondhand TD-9 on gumtree here right now for $1,800 and a TD10 for $1,400. I have no idea if those are ripoff prices or normal for the area, but that's why I wasn't really looking at slightly better but used stuff. 800 or maybe 1000 I can do (in the next few months), but more's probably not going to work out. The plan's to keep an eye on the second hand prices over the next few weeks and try to get a handle on what's normal.

e: I can't see myself ever being in a position where an acoustic kit was something I could actually own and play, so I'm wondering if the fact that X or Y isn't quite the same as an acoustic kit is even worth worrying about.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 14, 2017

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AlphaDog posted:

My use for this thing would be "learn drums, hopefully eventually record as midi into cubase to go along with my adequate bass and subpar guitar playing". I'm not intending to record an album and try to sell it or anything, I just like making music and I'd like being able to do all the music "by hand" instead of entering drums into cubase and messing around with Addictive Drums and trying to get it to sound right with no firsthand idea about how an actual drum kit is played. I mean, trying to make, say, a bassline by clicking on the piano roll and moving sliders works, but it doesn't sound human and if you didn't play bass it's likely that what you created would sound weird, and I'm guessing it's the same with drums.

Second hand is an option! OK, so checklist for second hand would be mesh heads where possible, definitely on the snare. Real kick pedal. Everything adjustable if possible. What do I look for in terms of common stuff that might be wrong, get damaged, etc? Like, I can find a twisted neck on a guitar, or a rattly speaker in a cab, or spot an amp that's having input problems, but I wouldn't know where to start with e-drums.

Can I ask where you are? I'm in Melbourne, Australia. I can find the TD-1KV new at a couple of places for around $800. There's a secondhand TD-9 on gumtree here right now for $1,800 and a TD10 for $1,400. I have no idea if those are ripoff prices or normal for the area, but that's why I wasn't really looking at slightly better but used stuff. 800 or maybe 1000 I can do (in the next few months), but more's probably not going to work out. The plan's to keep an eye on the second hand prices over the next few weeks and try to get a handle on what's normal.

e: I can't see myself ever being in a position where an acoustic kit was something I could actually own and play, so I'm wondering if the fact that X or Y isn't quite the same as an acoustic kit is even worth worrying about.

I'm in Vic as well, I've seen kits for that much on ebay but you probably need to watch for a while before another one appears at that price level. That gumtree one isn't a ripoff really, I paid about $4k all up for my setup which is almost exactly what's listed there so I can see why they would list it for that much. Even if you found the TD9 with only one mesh pad it would still be almost as good and you can buy more drums later if you need. TD-4 is also a good kit, has a bit more educational stuff than the td-9 and decent enough inbuilt sounds, but if you are recording then really midi is the way to go if only for ease of mixing.

The most obvious thing to look out for would probably be damage to the playing surface of the drums. Mesh can be replaced easily but damage to the rubber might be permanent. The connections between the drums and brain is something that could be damaged without being obvious, I had my hi-hat too loose which caused it to wobble a lot, this wore a small groove in the cable connector and also the socket inside the hat so I get intermittent triggering issues with that cymbal. Is fixable if you can use a soldering iron, they just use standard 1/4" jacks usually.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks for the info! Now that I've got a better idea of local prices and of what to look out for, I'm sure I'll eventually find something that suits me. No problem for me to re-solder cables or connectors, so hopefully I can find something that someone thinks needs to be sold cheap.

One more question - how upgradeable and interchangeable are e-drums? I mean, it seems like if you wanted a replacement or upgrade (say) snare you could easily find something out there. Do they need to be the same brand as the brain? I'd assume they do, but if it's just a 1/4" jack connector then maybe not?

Is there a good single place to get an intro on how all this stuff works together? Like there's plenty of sites where you can read "this is a guitar, you need a 1/4" cable that goes in this socket and an amplifier such as..." but all I seem to find on e-drums is "this is the latest from BRAND and it's the best one ever, use only BRAND official replacement parts" and I don't know if that's a requirement or if it's actually more like "Only replace your volume knob with a Gibson official volume knob ($75 + $40 shipping)".

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The more expensive units will have sockets to add a few extra drums, and snares/toms/cymbals are largely interchangeable between units and brands because all they really are is a piezo wired into a drum head (you can make your own with the parts from a musical greeting card). There will be some exceptions but as long as they both use the same 1/4" jack then they should work, most use a single stereo plug to act as a two-zone drum (rim+pad for snare/toms, edge+bow for cymbals) so you could replace a cymbal with another tom and it would work fine, just need to tell the brain that the cymbal is now a floor tom (or cowbell, no judgement here).

There might be some intro stuff on the roland vdrum forums, the info will be largely roland oriented but the basic concepts are the same regardless if you use a yamaha or alesis kit. If you're keen you could have a look at the manuals for some of the roland kits (probably on their support site), they'll have the best explanations for basic connections and concepts.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I'm in the process of fully volume-reducing an acoustic kit. Remo Silent Stroke + Zildjian L80 cymbals.

It's a little weird but I find it 1000x better than playing on electronic kits (I used to have a TD1KV)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I bought a used Pearl ePro kit a few years ago and I like it. Pearl seems to have changed gears a bit and it now just selling the "Tur Trac" heads which lets you convert any acoustic kit into an electronic one.

http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/electronic-drumsets/tru-trac-drumheads/

I've done some additional muffling but they are still louder than a Roland kit but you can't hear them outside the house which is the important part to me. There is a new brain unit due out this year, the Mimic Pro, which will replace the Red Box brain unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSDJEMTiptw

I personally find this kit easier to play because I'm using actual drums and not four 8" pads.

EDIT: For anyone that is interested, the Mimc Pro will work with any eDrum kit, not just Pearl

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Those look cool as hell! Believe me, I'd love to go with an e-kit that was a converted acoustic kit, but... space would be an issue. I don't think I could fit even a basic acoustic kit into the room I have available.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

So, I'm doing a quick design project and decided to look at exploring some ways to improve the way percussionists interact with hand percussion like shakers and maracas. As a drummer, I've always wanted a better way to use shakers/maracas with the drum set whether it be a better way to store the hand percussion on the drum set for easier transitioning or an easier way to hold hand percussion while also holding a drumstick.

I don't know a lot of percussionists locally so I'm casting a wide net with this. If anyone feels like answering a few questions, that would be great:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QKSPN2X

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I Might Be Adam posted:

So, I'm doing a quick design project and decided to look at exploring some ways to improve the way percussionists interact with hand percussion like shakers and maracas. As a drummer, I've always wanted a better way to use shakers/maracas with the drum set whether it be a better way to store the hand percussion on the drum set for easier transitioning or an easier way to hold hand percussion while also holding a drumstick.

I don't know a lot of percussionists locally so I'm casting a wide net with this. If anyone feels like answering a few questions, that would be great:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QKSPN2X

Done!

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I just bought a used set of drums for $50. includes the bass, snare, two toms (maybe 3, dunno). needs the stands, cymbals, and a bass pedal to be complete. did I get ripped off? I thought it was a pretty good deal but I didn't consider how expensive those supplies might be.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Could you share a picture of your purchase? Drumsets are expensive. You have to obtain drums, cymbals, stands, and pedal hardware, and there are additional recurring costs from replacing drumheads, sticks, and anything else that may break after being hit with a stick several thousand times.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

It's still on layaway, the heads are pretty beat up and will need replaced but as a newbie I'm okay with that for a bit.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I Might Be Adam posted:

casting a wide net

quote:

castanet

:cheers:

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

My main kit lives in the band trailer and I wanted to put together a small kit for impromptu gigs so I refinished a few random drums with wrap from Bum Wrap. 4 orphan drums from 3 different kits collected over the years.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
drat it, Butch Trucks died last night. What a loss. He was a superb, highly underrated drummer, and seemed like a real cool cat too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGQudbM3OQ

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

drat it, Butch Trucks died last night. What a loss. He was a superb, highly underrated drummer, and seemed like a real cool cat too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGQudbM3OQ

Non only that but Jaki Liebezeit from Can died recently. I hope you have a quarter of an hour to spare because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4GCwW2pLzA

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 25, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I still haven't found a set of e-drums (or acoustic drums), but I remembered that somewhere in the back of a cupboard I have a practice pad I bought years ago and never used, so I dug that out. Bought some sticks and a copy of stick control and I'm going through it with a metronome app. Years of playing bass has apparently taught me to stay in time fairly well (who'd have thought...) but the motions are so different that it's hard in ways that I didn't imagine. Fun though. I reckon I'm going to get into this when I find something in my price range to play on.

Is there another learning resource I should or could be working through even without a drum kit? Is tapping my feet on the ground an acceptable substitute for a pedal as far as learning when to hit the pedal goes? I mean obviously there's a whole technique to using a pedal right, but limb independance seems to be a bit harder to get than I thought it would be and I wanna get it happening.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It's wise to find a teacher, primarily so you can learn the correct way to hold a stick. It is very easy to develop bad habits that will prevent you from playing quickly/efficiently.

On the other hand, Dave Grohl and plenty of other famous rock drummers started by playing along with albums on pillows in their room. You can start slow and develop steadily, or you could jump in the deep end and try to fix problem areas in your technique as you encounter them.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

I still haven't found a set of e-drums (or acoustic drums), but I remembered that somewhere in the back of a cupboard I have a practice pad I bought years ago and never used, so I dug that out. Bought some sticks and a copy of stick control and I'm going through it with a metronome app. Years of playing bass has apparently taught me to stay in time fairly well (who'd have thought...) but the motions are so different that it's hard in ways that I didn't imagine. Fun though. I reckon I'm going to get into this when I find something in my price range to play on.

Is there another learning resource I should or could be working through even without a drum kit? Is tapping my feet on the ground an acceptable substitute for a pedal as far as learning when to hit the pedal goes? I mean obviously there's a whole technique to using a pedal right, but limb independance seems to be a bit harder to get than I thought it would be and I wanna get it happening.

I think your head's definitely in the right place. Tapping your foot along with where you want the bass drum to be is a good start. Once you get on a real set you'll start to figure out the technique of playing with your foot consistently, but I think it's a great idea to continue to tap along with your foot while playing on a pad. Limb independence is kind of what determines whether you're able to successfully play this instrument called The Drum Set; while developing technique and consistency is what will make you a better drum set player.

Also, as Tatumje mentioned, a teacher would help a lot too. They'll keep you honest and give you goals to work towards.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

"A Funky Primer for the Rock Drummer" is an excellent book. Pretty much all the exercises in it develop one little idea at a time and they're all targeted at greater and greater levels of independence as they go.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks again everyone. I've been continuing going through Stick Control (triplets doing my head in), and tapping a foot for the bass. Harder than I thought, more fun that I hoped.

Yesterday I picked up a used but near perfect roland td-1k at a price that felt a little bit like theft. No mesh snare, but I could buy a brand new one and still come out under the retail price of a new meshless kit. I'm gonna try making one though. If I can build a kit guitar I'm sure I can do this. Also, the person I bought the kit from mentioned that hitting one pad was triggering others. Moving the pads further apart and tightening the loosish fittings fixed that right up (and then it turns out that's what the manual says, too).

Anyway, having the drum sounds instead of just the thud of a practice pad is an eye opener. The rhythm coach funtion is pretty neat too. I'll find a teacher in the next month or two, but in the mean time I guess I'll keep going through Stick Control, try to play some beginner patterns, and check out some of the other resources you guys have mentioned.

Is there a mental trick to triplets? I'm finding it hard to reliably play a bar of quarter or eighth notes and then a bar of triplets. One or the other is fine, switching from eights to triplets is OK, switching back and forward between the two not so much. It's probably just a coordination thing, since I can easily do it on bass without even thinking.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You should always be keeping a mental/verbal count when drumming, once you get used to the cadences of the count it gets easy to insert triples anywhere, a bar of quarter notes ending on triplets would be ONE and TWO and THREE and FOUR-and-a ONE etc. It's just a matter of practice, some metronomes have these variations built in, your rhythm coach may already do this.

One thing that tightened up my timings was practicing hand motions while walking, get into a nice pace and have your feet become your metronome counting the whole notes and then practice quarters/eighths/triplets with alternating hands on the side of your thighs or against your stomach if wearing a hoodie, if you walk to work/school each day this can add up to be a fair bit of practice over a week.

Also watch as many youtube drumming videos (lessons or performances) as you can find time for, plenty of little things you can pick up just by watching another person play on a kit.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I've been working on Purdie Shuffle variations lately for practicing triplets, and I find that it helps my groove to just picture the look on Bernard Purdie's face, because most of the time it looks as if no one could be happier to be playing drums.

Mm! Ah-oh, ah-oh, ah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah! Oh!

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 6, 2017

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
That's seriously 95% of the reason I watch his videos anymore: the running commentary while he grooves it out

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
To continue with the discussion of electric kits, how loud are they in terms of smacking the rubber pads?

I've played on an acoustic kit for years when I lived with my parents but I live in a city now and not playing drums makes me sad. It's a pretty small apartment and I can hear my neighbors sneeze so I'm wondering if an electric kit will still become a problem for the people below and next to me.

Since I'm used to an acoustic kit I know I'm gonna want a decent electric kit with mesh pads but don't want to splurge (especially on a used kit I can't return) if I'm going to piss people off still.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Immolat1on posted:

To continue with the discussion of electric kits, how loud are they in terms of smacking the rubber pads?

I've played on an acoustic kit for years when I lived with my parents but I live in a city now and not playing drums makes me sad. It's a pretty small apartment and I can hear my neighbors sneeze so I'm wondering if an electric kit will still become a problem for the people below and next to me.

Since I'm used to an acoustic kit I know I'm gonna want a decent electric kit with mesh pads but don't want to splurge (especially on a used kit I can't return) if I'm going to piss people off still.

I use the Pearl Tru Trac heads.
http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/electronic-drumsets/tru-trac-drumheads/

They are not as quiet as a Rolland kit but you can't hear them outside the house at all. You can hear me playing through out the house but that may be due to the fact that my kit is right below some duct work in the basement. It's still not as loud as another kit. I also have the rubber/plastic cymbals.

I have played on the Zildjian low volume cymbals they are quite nice. These seem to be the Gen16 module without the electronics

https://zildjian.com/l80-low-volume/gen16

For me is a price issue. I've been playing for over 25 years and I'm so used to the feel of an acoustic kit and no other electronic kit ever felt right. On top of that, I wanted something that didn't sound like a toy and had decent pads. I was worried that playing on cheaper pads may cause hand/wrist issues over time. Rolland kits with the pads I liked were in the $5,000 range.

I picked up the Peal kit out of the local classifieds for around $2000 CAD. The included the drum shells, hardware, drum rack, heads, etc.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
People beside you might have a problem, but the people below you will definitely have a problem with it. The majority of buildings magnify the thumping/stomping sound of a kick drum.

Stick sound can vary depending on mesh/rubber material, but they will be roughly the volume of a regular television's built-in speakers turned up over half-way. If you can hear a sneeze, your neighbors will hear electric drums.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you have a rubber practice pad then that's a good approximation of how loud rubber e-drums generally are. I can be loud enough to travel into a neigbouring room but is drowned out by a tv or radio generally, if your neighbours are the type to sit silently in their home then they'll probably hear it a bit.

Kick pedal thumping is solved by making an isolation platform out of MDF and some tennis balls, my kick was the loudest part of the kit for sure due to the vibrations it sends through the floor but the platform I built stops that entirely.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Thank you for the excellent info y'all. I'll have to hold off for now and if I ever do see a good deal on a quality set I'll have to plan accordingly for noise.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I have another v-drum question. Will the PDX-100 pad work with the TD-1K? The manual doesn't mention it, but I've seen a couple of posts around the place which seem to show that pad on this kit, as well as a German site that's selling them together. Unfortunately, I don't read enough German to figure out what, if anything, they've done to make it happen, and googling is failing me.

Also, when I play and try to focus on my right hand or left leg (eg, play hi-hats with the pedal opening and closing in something other than 4 straight beats), my left hand starts moving in time with my right leg entirely on its own. This doesn't happen when I try to do literally anything else that involves using both hands and both feet. gently caress you, limbs, do what you're told! More of an observation than a question - I'm sure I'll get the hang of it but if there's some trick I'm missing I'd like to hear it. What I'm currently doing is playing the kick, adding the snare, adding the hats, then as I try to add the hat pedal, my snare hand and kick foot sync up within the first two bars. I should mention that while I am a kinda generally clumsy person, I can manage other complex whole-body tasks (like wrestling for example) just fine.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AlphaDog posted:

I have another v-drum question. Will the PDX-100 pad work with the TD-1K? The manual doesn't mention it, but I've seen a couple of posts around the place which seem to show that pad on this kit, as well as a German site that's selling them together. Unfortunately, I don't read enough German to figure out what, if anything, they've done to make it happen, and googling is failing me.

I can't find anything concrete either but I think it will, the TD-1K is sold with both rubber and mesh snares, they wouldn't make a whole separate kit just for the snare so that implies the snares can be swapped over. On the roland site there's a couple of pics of the kits being played and they appear to have 1/4" cables running to each drum (couldn't see the connectors but safe assumption they use the standard jack) so it will probably fit into the PDX-100 just fine and looks to have support for both rim and snare zones.

The biggest issue will be mounting it to the kit, the default TD-1K pads seem to have some sort of clamp underneath the drum that holds onto the bar but the PDX-100 has a metal section on the back that slots onto a metal rod that is in turn clamped to the frame of the kit. You might need to buy this clamp/rod thing, but the mounting is in a different position so the upgraded snare will be pushed forward a lot more compared to the default one and may not work as well with the rest of the kit because you'll have to sit further back than before. Also just eyeballing the pictures of the kit it looks like the frame is thinner than the TD series frames so the clamp/rod might not be able to tighten around the frame anyway.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Cool, that's about what I thought. The bit in the TD-1 manual about "upgrading" it from a -1k to a -1kv specifies PDX6 or PDX8 snare and MDH-12 bracket. The MDH-12 says it's usable with the PDX100. that bracket definitely wouldn't fit on the thing that holds the rubber snare pad, but I think the MDH-12 is the exact thing that comes on the td-1kv - it fits on the upright post, and I guess you remove the little arm for the rubber snare.

I'm still thinking about these things wrong, I guess. The electronics in a pad are 1 or 2 piezo switches and a socket attached to some hardware, right? They're not full of circuit boards and microchips that the sound module would somehow fail to recognise.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 10, 2017

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah literally a couple of piezos hooked up to a stereo 1/4" jack, they send a jolt through the wiring and then the kit electronics detect the amplitude of it and plays the appropriate sample in response. Not complex units at all and in general any e-drum will work with any drum brain providing the sockets match (might be different for the super high end TD-20 et al), the brain usually has some sensitivity settings to tame any triggering issues that might arise from using off-brand piezos.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Also, when I play and try to focus on my right hand or left leg (eg, play hi-hats with the pedal opening and closing in something other than 4 straight beats), my left hand starts moving in time with my right leg entirely on its own. This doesn't happen when I try to do literally anything else that involves using both hands and both feet. gently caress you, limbs, do what you're told! More of an observation than a question - I'm sure I'll get the hang of it but if there's some trick I'm missing I'd like to hear it. What I'm currently doing is playing the kick, adding the snare, adding the hats, then as I try to add the hat pedal, my snare hand and kick foot sync up within the first two bars. I should mention that while I am a kinda generally clumsy person, I can manage other complex whole-body tasks (like wrestling for example) just fine.

Play it out of time: play the first complete body motion (e.g. right hand hi hat and right foot bass drum). Stop. Think about the second complete body motion. Which limbs are perform what motions? Make sure you'll play it correctly. Play it. Stop. Think about the next complete body motion, etc. Once you've gone through the whole groove like this 3-5 times, pair up body motions e.g. play the first and second, stop, third and fourth, stop. etc. The whole process might take 15-30 minutes, less if you go slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Jazz Marimba posted:

Play it out of time: play the first complete body motion (e.g. right hand hi hat and right foot bass drum). Stop. Think about the second complete body motion. Which limbs are perform what motions? Make sure you'll play it correctly. Play it. Stop. Think about the next complete body motion, etc. Once you've gone through the whole groove like this 3-5 times, pair up body motions e.g. play the first and second, stop, third and fourth, stop. etc. The whole process might take 15-30 minutes, less if you go slower.

Jazz Marimba is right. Think of it this way: There's mainly two ways to break down a beat. The first way is the way you've been doing it: get one limb going, and add your other limbs in as you get more comfortable. That's kind of like a vertical breakdown, as you're layering in new notes on top of or in between each other.

The other way is the way JM is talking about. Play the first note. Right hand and left foot? Great. Now play the next one. Just right hand. Good. Now the next note. Right hand and left hand. etc etc. This is a more horizontal approach to piecing things together. Both are good and totally legitimate, and imo the best thing you can do at this stage is switch from horizontal to vertical or vice versa if you get stuck during your practice.