Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Anthony Randolph has all the tools to be an MVP. This is his year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Dekker is out tomorrow. Give KJ McDaniels the minutes I'd rather watch 1-2 nice chasedown blocks a game than Brewer

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Miami Heat, as in the organization, just hired an esport counterstrike team

So that's 3 NBA teams now (coincidentally, all of them are out of the playoffs)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Jonas Jerebko also personally owns a Counterstrike team.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jeremy Lin owns a DotA team, as well

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The money for owning a successful team is pretty great. Plus you can screw your players out of money like all the time which seems to be a common practice among dota owners

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

RIP Rodney Hood

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Doltos posted:

The money for owning a successful team is pretty great. Plus you can screw your players out of money like all the time which seems to be a common practice among dota owners

now that's paper

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Every week, that trade gets worse

That was the same year Mirotic was coming over. There was no way that Bulls team was going to play 3 rookies.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Luckily the Bulls brass had the foresight to see they would have a roster bursting with too much young talent for several years to come

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

As you read this book, imagine I am on the next bar stool over and you’ve asked me what it’s really like inside pro basketball. You seem okay, you’re buying, and I want to say what I want to say. I don’t mind a reaction and I don’t mind pissing off twenty-nine teams: the only team I want to be happy is my own.

So let’s get started. I read a few memoirs to prepare myself for this effort, and I’ve read a few reviews. The usual criticism of an autobiography is that they’re self-serving, too obviously written to even old scores, or that their main purpose is to get the last word in. Will that apply to this book?
Hell yes. Might as well admit it.

Someone once asked me if I joined a fraternity in college. I did not. There was no need. I was in the fraternity.
I listened to the Rolling Stones and kissed the girls and drove a ’69 Chevy Nova, dark green. The Nova remained on campus after I left, by the way. I sold it to a teammate, Mitch Kupchak, now the Lakers general manager. For fifteen years, the Nova got handed down or sold for peanuts from one basketball player to the next.
this dude is FURIOUS :twisted:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Wow. He must have been a pretty cool guy to listen to the band putting out a string of Billboard #1 albums in the United States during the years he was in college. Not many people do that.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Stauskas just broke Oubre's ankles with the best crossover I've seen this year.

edit: wrong thread but eff it.

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/820449478108966912

This isn't the best crossover this year, but it's impressive looking because it's coming from a guy like Stauskas and not someone like Westbrook or Curry who do it all the time. It's play's like this that truly delineate the NBA game of today from the game of only a couple or 3 years ago. Most people would point to the rapid increase in the 3 point shot as the main difference between the league now and how it was played a few years ago, but I've found the real change is in the ball handling of the entire league.

This may all be anecdotal, but it seems that in just the last couple years (since around the time the Warriors got real good, tho I don't know if it's strictly because of them) most highlights begin with some sweet ball handling move, and it's not just point guards doing it. Random "unskilled" bigs buried on the bench are throwing out ankle breakers left and right. Teams used to have a primary ball handler with their PG, and maybe the SG could pull off a couple moves as well, but now even the 7'2 center for every team can put the ball on the floor, they can eurostep, and pull side steps and step backs into open jumpers. The overall ball skills of nearly every player is so much better than it used to be - watch highlights of bigs like Hakeem in the 90's - he was considered one of the most skilled big men ever, and a great ball handler for a center. But watching him dribble, he literally seemed to punch the ball clumsily to the floor while having to look down at it to not lose control. That worked against lovely 90's defense, but modern NBA bigs look as comfortable with the ball as PG's did back then. They go between the legs in traffic, pull off stutter step and hesitation moves, use their dribble as a weapon. When a draft bust like Stauskas pulls off a move like this, you know it's a huge change in the league, and definitely for the better.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

There was a time when Javale didn't look clinically depressed while playing basketball, right? It seemed like he was happy as a young Wyzzzard

The B_36 posted:

This isn't the best crossover this year, but it's impressive looking because it's coming from a guy like Stauskas and not someone like Westbrook or Curry who do it all the time. It's play's like this that truly delineate the NBA game of today from the game of only a couple or 3 years ago. Most people would point to the rapid increase in the 3 point shot as the main difference between the league now and how it was played a few years ago, but I've found the real change is in the ball handling of the entire league.

This may all be anecdotal, but it seems that in just the last couple years (since around the time the Warriors got real good, tho I don't know if it's strictly because of them) most highlights begin with some sweet ball handling move, and it's not just point guards doing it. Random "unskilled" bigs buried on the bench are throwing out ankle breakers left and right. Teams used to have a primary ball handler with their PG, and maybe the SG could pull off a couple moves as well, but now even the 7'2 center for every team can put the ball on the floor, they can eurostep, and pull side steps and step backs into open jumpers. The overall ball skills of nearly every player is so much better than it used to be - watch highlights of bigs like Hakeem in the 90's - he was considered one of the most skilled big men ever, and a great ball handler for a center. But watching him dribble, he literally seemed to punch the ball clumsily to the floor while having to look down at it to not lose control. That worked against lovely 90's defense, but modern NBA bigs look as comfortable with the ball as PG's did back then. They go between the legs in traffic, pull off stutter step and hesitation moves, use their dribble as a weapon. When a draft bust like Stauskas pulls off a move like this, you know it's a huge change in the league, and definitely for the better.

Drummond's progression as a ball handler has been shocking. Now he's not afraid to turn the corner with maybe 3 dribbles if he's one on one with another big.

Playmaking from big positions becomes so important when defenses help aggressively. What happens when you double 2011 BIsmack Biyombo, maybe a stumble out of bounds, a turnover on a tipped pass, a travel. Now everyone can at least shoulder fake and make a pass

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 15, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

EvanTH posted:

Wow. He must have been a pretty cool guy to listen to the band putting out a string of Billboard #1 albums in the United States during the years he was in college. Not many people do that.

If he was cool he'd have gone to see the Stones when tickets were :10bux: and then said they sucked.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/AthleteAdvisory/status/820395336543956992

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Okafor's dad might be mad

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/820676888158932996

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hahaha

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

@daddy of a pro? C'mon Mr. Okafor

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I'm imagining it. you go Chuk

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

paternity suitor posted:

@daddy of a pro? C'mon Mr. Okafor
Yah really wish I'd snagged that one before him

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/talkhoops/status/820674693032120321

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Pierre Jackson is back on the Mavs for 10 days. I hope they decide to keep him.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Some context: last night was the annual Bus the Process field trip and they had ~350 Sixers fans take a bus convoy down to D.C.

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/820485648251490305

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr okafor is correct in this instance.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Dads getting involved in trash talking is the best thing about NBA 2.0

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

peer posted:

Pam McGee would like a word

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/EarlKSneed/status/820750471992320000

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

peer posted:

If only Melo's Dad had been around to bully LeBron's Dad on the Kik messenging app then Melo would be a more active PnR defender smdh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

tarbrush posted:

I didn't even think about how Pam McGee and Mary Babers-Green are mom teammates.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I hope Kobe's kids play basketball. The dad trash talk will be off the charts

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

I didn't even think about how Pam McGee and Mary Babers-Green are mom teammates.

If Pam and JaVale had a Freaky Friday scenario, it would create the best center in the league.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

tarbrush posted:

And KJ McDaniels mom.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Capela back on Tuesday or Wednesday, praise Krishna

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

chunkles posted:

Capela back on Tuesday or Wednesday, praise Krishna
Griffin's back in a week or so 😼

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Watching playoff football today I realized the NBA is my favorite sport now. I love the NBA and also Joel Embiid

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hand Row posted:

I prefer looking at +/- by lineup rather than player. Although WTF is up with that Drummond stat. Does their starting lineup get its asskicked?

When Drummond is on the floor the team (in relation to opponent) are shooting worse in all areas. 10% worse from the FT line and worse from 3P line as well.

The B_36 posted:

The overall ball skills of nearly every player is so much better than it used to be - watch highlights of bigs like Hakeem in the 90's - he was considered one of the most skilled big men ever, and a great ball handler for a center. But watching him dribble, he literally seemed to punch the ball clumsily to the floor while having to look down at it to not lose control. That worked against lovely 90's defense, but modern NBA bigs look as comfortable with the ball as PG's did back then.

Back in the 1990s I always remember players jamming their fingers from mishandling the ball. I don't see that too much lately.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ralph Sampson was right

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tae posted:

The Overwatch League (OWL) is set to begin this year, and it's going to be the the first esports league to localize the teams that compete in it. Lots of speculation right now, but most believe the Miami Heat organization put a stake in Misfits because they're aiming to acquire the Miami slot once the bidding goes live on major cities in NA that will have a spot to compete in the OWL. The Miami Misfts is a good Overwatch team name imo. https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Here we go...

https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/820792008621096960

• Locked thread