Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If you sub, fill all your empty character slots with level 1 characters and you keep the slots when you revert back to F2P, and you can at least convert those slots to Archetype characters, which are actually pretty OK in genreal. This applies to bonus character slots granted by getting a character to level 40 while subscribed. If you leave them empty they are taken away when your sub lapses.

Yes "premium" archetypes become unavailable when your sub lapses, as far as I know, inluding existing characters.

It's technically possible to buy freeform slots eventually by converting ingame currency to Zen but it takes 5,000 Zen, exchanged for Questionite at about 1:450 or so, or about 2.25 million Q. Typical activities reward about 2k Q for about 30 minutes of time spent (faster if you're industrious). That's a lot of "abouts" but I think you can see where this is going.

ps: they do 50% off sales for freeform character slots very occasionally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Flesh Forge posted:

If you sub, fill all your empty character slots with level 1 characters and you keep the slots when you revert back to F2P, and you can at least convert those slots to Archetype characters, which are actually pretty OK in genreal. This applies to bonus character slots granted by getting a character to level 40 while subscribed. If you leave them empty they are taken away when your sub lapses.

Yes "premium" archetypes become unavailable when your sub lapses, as far as I know, inluding existing characters.

It's technically possible to buy freeform slots eventually by converting ingame currency to Zen but it takes 5,000 Zen, exchanged for Questionite at about 1:450 or so, or about 2.25 million Q. Typical activities reward about 2k Q for about 30 minutes of time spent (faster if you're industrious). That's a lot of "abouts" but I think you can see where this is going.

ps: they do 50% off sales for freeform character slots very occasionally

Thanks for the info, though I doubt I'd play enough to even justify the fifteen bucks of a single month's sub, if I'm being honest. Maybe I'll give it a shot with a normal free character, and if I have fun, I'll consider laying down a little cash.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you like it enough to spend any money at all, then yeah 1 month's sub is the most bang for buck just for the character slots.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If you just want to play a single freeform dude whenever you're feeling like a superhero MMO kind of thing, the 50% off Freeform sales are good. $25 for a permanent Freeform slot is not really that bad compared to paying $15 a month for them, but it doesn't work out as well if you want to make like a dozen freeform characters.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
buy timecards on amazon with prime shipping

or since you are new, you can just buy up old boxed copies to start with

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Kelp Plankton posted:

If you just want to play a single freeform dude whenever you're feeling like a superhero MMO kind of thing, the 50% off Freeform sales are good. $25 for a permanent Freeform slot is not really that bad compared to paying $15 a month for them, but it doesn't work out as well if you want to make like a dozen freeform characters.

This is probably what I'll do, if it's still on my mind whenever one of those sales occurs. As it is, I'm playing and it's pretty okay I guess.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

"walking radio station man" is a good concept

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

EclecticTastes posted:

This is probably what I'll do, if it's still on my mind whenever one of those sales occurs. As it is, I'm playing and it's pretty okay I guess.

There's always a three hundred dollar lifetime subscription!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Yeah, I'm having a reasonable amount of fun so far, and bystanders seem to enjoy the sight of my skeletal Vaudevillian with magic powers. Don't know how much more I'll play, but keep an eye out for Funny Bone, I suppose.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Apologies for the double post, but I'm having a fair amount of fun with my wacky Vaudeville skeleton, so I'm wondering if I can get some build advice. Basically everything I've found appears wildly out of date, so I was wondering where I'd be best-served placing my points. I'm playing as The Grimoire, and so far I've just ranked Aura of Primal Majesty up to 3, and added Chaos Magic to Skarn's Bane, which seemed like fun. For Specializations, I've just been putting points into the ones that make my stats worth more (Enlightened and Tactician so far, planning on Expertise and Detect Vulnerability), I figured it would work well with my aura. Haven't even gotten into Role specializations.

Now, if I'm interpreting the UI correctly, you can only put five points worth of Advantages/rank-ups into any given power, so for a lot of my powers, I'm left wondering if I should add more raw power, or add special effects. I decided Skarn's Bane was presently dealing enough damage that adding status effects was the better move, but for Eldritch Bolt and Blast, and Pillar of Poz, I'm not so sure, never mind the powers I'll be getting later. Also, for Talents, I'm assuming the top priorities are the three that add +5 to two of your Super-Stats (for a net gain of ten to each), but after that, should I go for the ones that give +8 to a single stat, or for the more rounded Talents that give more total points? If it helps, I'm mainly planning to play by myself, and I have a general idea of which powers I want to take for the levels where I have a choice between two (though if there's any powers that are secretly bad, feel free to warn me, I'm already aware that the radiant sigils are basically worthless).

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.
With Aura of Primal Majesty, the higher your super stats go, the stronger the aura is and the higher all your other stats will be boosted. So personally I wouldn't do anything but raise super stats; the rest will be carried along. (That goes for both talent and gear choices.) The only exception might be picking up a little extra constitution if you find that you're too squishy for high end content.

I haven't played with sorcery since the latest rework, so I can't really advise on powers.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Guy Forget posted:

With Aura of Primal Majesty, the higher your super stats go, the stronger the aura is and the higher all your other stats will be boosted. So personally I wouldn't do anything but raise super stats; the rest will be carried along. (That goes for both talent and gear choices.) The only exception might be picking up a little extra constitution if you find that you're too squishy for high end content.

I haven't played with sorcery since the latest rework, so I can't really advise on powers.

I wasn't aware that it scaled with Super Stats, that's very helpful to know! Now, for the most total points to my Super Stats (and some Recovery, as well), Command Training (three each, adding up to nine, plus three Recovery) plus two of the individual boosts would be ideal. Is there any impetus to focus on my primary Super Stat over my secondary Super Stats? I'm thinking Indomitable and Intimidating to pull my Ego and Presence a little closer to my Intellect, but if my primary Super Stat has higher scaling for the damage/healing bonus it provides compared to the secondary, I'd be remiss not to take Brilliant. But all else being equal, I feel like my best move is to aim for as close to a balance of the three as possible.

Also, any opinion on the Tinkering Specialization (an Intellect skill that increases gear offense/defense)? I noticed that the Guardian and Overseer roles both have specialization skills that boost the offense and defense of equipment, so on a second pass, Tinkering is looking like it might be useful, since my Specializations all seem to focus on boosting the value of gear.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

AOPM scales oddly depending on which mode you're in, whether Support or Balanced. If you're in Balanced, iirc all superstats cause it to scale up the same way; if you're in Support, then Presence makes the buff to friendlies MUCH larger than other superstat choices, so if you ever team with other people (alerts or whatever), Presence makes it very strong.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
They apparently reworked arcane since I last played, and AT's aren't very customizable in the first place, but I'll dig out some old builds and polish them for you. :v:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

AOPM scales oddly depending on which mode you're in, whether Support or Balanced. If you're in Balanced, iirc all superstats cause it to scale up the same way; if you're in Support, then Presence makes the buff to friendlies MUCH larger than other superstat choices, so if you ever team with other people (alerts or whatever), Presence makes it very strong.

Grimoire is locked to the Hybrid role, so I guess I've got room to be flexible with my super stats. Figure I ought to make the most out of what little agency I'm afforded in developing my character.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Surprise, ATs don't get to choose their superstats either (although Pre is one of your secondary superstats for Grimoire iirc)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Surprise, ATs don't get to choose their superstats either (although Pre is one of your secondary superstats for Grimoire iirc)

Flexible with the numbers, Talents and gear and such.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of The Grimoire, I can't even beat the purple gang groups of three at the start of the game. I miss not having the attacking sigil at lvl 6 as opposed to the pillar of poz

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Speaking of The Grimoire, I can't even beat the purple gang groups of three at the start of the game. I miss not having the attacking sigil at lvl 6 as opposed to the pillar of poz

I was pretty frustrated early on until I got Skarn's Bane, which just insta-kills groups of minions effortlessly. Though, the more I play, the more I'm reminded of Cryptic's staunch anti-fun stance that they poo poo up City of Heroes with, because a lot of the same design decisions they used to nerf CoH wound up in CO, but nearly none of the later improvements CoH got made it over. The gameplay feels a lot like playing City of Heroes in the months before City of Villains launched, which was a pretty bad stretch. I don't want to sound all negative, but it really is sort of the bare minimum in terms of scratching my superhero itch, I kinda wish there were more options on the market, since I hear DCUO is even worse and Marvel Heroes, while decently fun, lacks true customization. Hopefully I'm just missing something and there'll be a point where it suddenly gets a lot more fun and I totally eat my words.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The real fun of CO is in the freeform system, and yes everyone's aware how dumb it is that they locked it entirely behind the paywall when they went F2P.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Flesh Forge posted:

The real fun of CO is in the freeform system, and yes everyone's aware how dumb it is that they locked it entirely behind the paywall when they went F2P.

Yeah, having that other power like you used to would make the Grimoire a lot more bearable. Guess I'll have to subscribe

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
If only they made it so you could convert an existing Gold Freeform character into a permanently open freeform toon that you can play even when you're unsubbed. I'd gladly pay the $50 to permanently unlock 2-5 of my existing Gold Freeform characters.

Do they still do lifetime subs?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Brave New World posted:

If only they made it so you could convert an existing Gold Freeform character into a permanently open freeform toon that you can play even when you're unsubbed. I'd gladly pay the $50 to permanently unlock 2-5 of my existing Gold Freeform characters.

Do they still do lifetime subs?

Yeah, they still do it, though I noticed while peeking around the Steam boards that some people had trouble getting the newest owner to honor the last owner's lifetime subs, so if Cryptic changes hands again, that's something to be aware of.

I'd gladly pay fifteen bucks to convert an existing Silver character slot into a Freeform slot, I don't plan on playing enough to justify having extra character slots, anyway. But instead, they're charging what is, frankly, an exorbitant amount to get both a character slot and the ability to go Freeform. Even at half-off, I'd feel like I'm overpaying. Maybe if the community was as lively as CoH was in its day (it seems like only the most annoying elements are present in CO), it'd seem like a decent deal, but as it is, I'd make the purchase only reluctantly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That doesn't make any sense, the backend stuff that handles that should not change with new owners.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

That doesn't make any sense, the backend stuff that handles that should not change with new owners.

According to the thread I saw, the person in question was banned without reason after the game changed hands. Their account had been inactive for a long time, leaving the only possible conclusion as ARC refusing to honor lifetime subs on accounts that weren't recently active.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
I suppose let me be the first of ... many(???) people driven to give this game a whirl by the recent Monster Factories. In my case, at least, it's *another* whirl, having played it quite a lot back in the day. Mostly solo, never really got into the high levels or the big group content.

My main is/was a freeform attempt at a Heavy Weapons tank. It seems to be going okay, trying it again, but I am running into a bit of difficulty with staying alive soloing. Any suggestions on a good heal power? Or should I just rely on devices? Also, anything to speak of for that build in general?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

kafziel posted:

I suppose let me be the first of ... many(???) people driven to give this game a whirl by the recent Monster Factories. In my case, at least, it's *another* whirl, having played it quite a lot back in the day. Mostly solo, never really got into the high levels or the big group content.

My main is/was a freeform attempt at a Heavy Weapons tank. It seems to be going okay, trying it again, but I am running into a bit of difficulty with staying alive soloing. Any suggestions on a good heal power? Or should I just rely on devices? Also, anything to speak of for that build in general?

Get conviction (in the celestial tree), it'll get you through most of the normal solo missions. Also highly recommend taking an active defense ability. Masterful Dodge under Martial Arts, and Resurgence under Supernatural work best.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Every time I get the urge to come back I go to character creation and then remember that even though I bought this game at launch they want another $50 from me to play a real character. My launch character is still there too but missing costume parts and turned into a lovely premade class

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or $15 a month, same as it was when you did buy it.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Aphrodite posted:

Or $15 a month, same as it was when you did buy it.

This game wasn't really worth $15 a month then and it isn't now, either.

...says the one who bought a lifetime subscription.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I have absolutely gotten my money's worth out of my lifetime subscription.

I would probably not pay $15 to access my heap of freeform characters for a month at this point. I might pay $50 once, but not per character.

kafziel posted:

I felt a twinge of pride when they hit the Random button and, for a moment, couldn't figure out how to improve on what they got.

kafziel posted:

What passive are you on?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

According to the thread I saw, the person in question was banned without reason after the game changed hands. Their account had been inactive for a long time, leaving the only possible conclusion as ARC refusing to honor lifetime subs on accounts that weren't recently active.

That's probably just people confused by the fact that an ancient Cryptic account has to be linked to a PWE/Arc account to work and only their customer support can do that.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

General Maximus posted:

This game wasn't really worth $15 a month then and it isn't now, either.

...says the one who bought a lifetime subscription.
After years of aching to play CoX again, I went ahead and finally gave CO a whirl and it seems entertaining enough to subscribe for a month!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fill all your character slots, even if you don't level them. When you let your sub lapse you keep the slots and they can be converted to archetypes (almost all of which are completely fine to play), if you leave them empty then they go away.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Come to think of it, what archetypes are pretty good and which are poo poo these days anyway? Been a few months since I poked at this, and while I can't imagine there's been big changes, I know sorcery and a few other powers and such have been revamped.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Of the free ones, they're all pretty fine except for the single blade one - I had gigantic problems doing pretty much anything with that AT, Bluhman likes it but my experience was just rolling faceplant. I only have a couple of the premium ATs unlocked (the PA tank and I forget which other). Even the fire/avenger AT was a lot easier than single blade. Very few of them are as tightly optimized as pretty much any popular freeform build but it's not like they're unplayable.

The ones that stood out to me were Mind (AORP and some decent crowd control, a good general support build), the PA tank, the Ice tank, the Unleashed (dual blade brawler), and any of the ranged DPS. The rest felt pretty mediocre in their roles for various reasons. Grimoire has Skarn's and a lot of alternatives in power choices and is solidly not bad, not exactly great, but if you like the sorcery tree gameplay (I do) it's at least pretty fun.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Thing about most of the DPS archtypes is that they currently are benefiting from a bug that causes them not to obey diminishing returns properly. Which translates to them being capable of the absolute most damage in the game when geared way up at level 40. Unfortunately the developers are trying to fix that ASAP, and it's something you're not really going to benefit from outside of endgame cosmics and other huge fights.

A majority of the premium ATs are way better than the free ones, only because they were created later and have more balanced builds. The Icicle, The Hexslinger, The Penitent, The Predator, The Rockstar, and the Cybernetic Warrior have huge advantages over older ones since almost every one of those guarantees having an active buff ability, some form of light self heal, And generally just much smarter choices in terms of stats and specialization trees.

Currently, the Soldier is going to very soon receive an update alongside some buffs to its guns (Assault Rifle's going to be a mid-game tier 3 attack while the SMG is the staple for lower levels), so that could be one to try out. I don't think the Blade is outstanding outside of the aforementioned DPS bug benefits. I'd say the easiest purely-free AT to use would likely be Unleashed (powerful damage, easy to get defense debuff, good specializations, self-heal) and Soldier (balance of damage and ability to interrupt and hide, excellent at sniping enemies and kiting). My experience actually playing ATs isn't huge though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm really annoyed they've added so few ATs and they're leaving them so expensive. They should have been adding a new AT like, every 3 months or something, and they should have priced them more like 250 zen, I can't believe they take a lot of actual labor to configure.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Keep in mind that ChampO is basically the platonic image of "maintenance mode MMO". Its been literally years without any major content additions, even additions like costumes are kind of few and far between, and most of the major patches involve shuffling the deck chairs and changing how chargen or certain powersets work because that doesn't take much effort and makes it look like they're busy.

I've said it before but the whole gold/silver freeform/archetype split was a massive mistake and was one of many things that crippled the F2P transition. But it's a bit too late to go back on that now, and even if they did the sort of things that would make freeform-as-default viable (regularly adding new power sets and powers in the c-store for people to mix and match with) is probably beyond their current dev resources. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

LordSaturn posted:

I have absolutely gotten my money's worth out of my lifetime subscription.

I would probably not pay $15 to access my heap of freeform characters for a month at this point. I might pay $50 once, but not per character.

I felt a twinge of pride when they hit the Random button and, for a moment, couldn't figure out how to improve on what they got.

What passive are you on?

I am on Defiance. I am open to changing this and many other things, I just want to tank with boatswords.