Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

iajanus posted:

Pacific Heat's ads in Australia were a horrific shitshow and there's no surprise at all at finding out it is garbage.

The dubious title of "A Netflix Original Series" sure does wonders for publicity. Reviewers don't even realize this is was picked up from The Comedy Channel in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

livingfruitvirus posted:

The dubious title of "A Netflix Original Series" sure does wonders for publicity. Reviewers don't even realize this is was picked up from The Comedy Channel in Australia.

Presumably CC disowned it.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Pacific Heat is so loving bad. Even if you disregard the blatant attempt to ape Archer's success, it lacks passion in every sense and is a boring, unfunny waste of time. I'm embarrassed for Netflix and the people who worked on this show.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I apologise for my countrymen.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

iajanus posted:

Presumably CC disowned it.

They're still airing it regularly. http://www.thecomedychannel.com.au/shows/pacific-heat/ You know what else they air? http://www.thecomedychannel.com.au/shows/archer/ Also for something extra: http://www.thecomedychannel.com.au/shows/moonbeam-city/

Sometimes "A Netflix Original Series" does not actually mean what it sounds like. Most of the time it does, which is a show greenlit by Netflix and made for Netflix. The rest of the time it means a foreign show which Netflix has acquired the exclusive license to for certain territories outside that country, such as BBC Two's Peaky Blinders, Degrassi: Next Class, or the anime series The Seven Deadly Sins.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The fact that the creator said he hasn't watched "much" Archer is telling.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

what do you guys think does make this show work? I've always thought it was the VAs who bring everyone to life, I just really like listening to everyone deliver the lines, they bring it each and every episode

Caros
May 14, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

what do you guys think does make this show work? I've always thought it was the VAs who bring everyone to life, I just really like listening to everyone deliver the lines, they bring it each and every episode

The writing and editing helps a lot.

I watched about a minute of that godawful show after it popped up on my Netflix recommendations and it's like they learned all the wrong lessons from watching archer.

As just as an example, they keep cutting back and forth between characters talking, but rather than doing it cleverly as a way to shift from scene to scene they do it repeatedly in the same scene for absolutely not goddamn reason.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Carlosologist posted:

It's both the voice actors and the writing, particularly when it comes to characterization.

I actually watched all of Pacific Heat (kind of, I was cleaning and I wanted something on in the background while I worked that I don't have to pay attention to) and one of the major flaws it has is how flat the characters are. Their personalities are as follows: Guy, lady, slightly dumber guy, and other lady. Compare this to Archer where the characters all have distinct personalities and interact with each other in unique ways that feel organic.

After the first episode of Archer I knew enough about Lana, Pam, Archer, and Cyril to know how they would each react to a situation and how they all would all try to solve the same problem in different ways. If you put a gun to my head I couldn't tell you anything about Guy, lady, slightly dumber guy, and other lady beyond dumber guy being slightly dumber than the rest (that is seriously the most outstanding bit of characterization that group has) even after watching 13 episodes of that crap.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Archer's cast sounds like a group of long-time friends, with all their damage, and bullshit, and tired rear end in-jokes bouncing off each other to full effect. That is not easy to perform or write, but it is very endearing and it's what's kept the show going even when the overarching plot goes to poo poo.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I watched half an episode of Pacific Heat just to see what all the fuss was about. I was kinda hoping it would be so bad it was entertaining, even though I kinda doubted that would be the case. Anyways, it's awful loving garbage that can get hosed. It's like someone wanted to make Family Guy but also somehow make it extra boring.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Archer's cast sounds like a group of long-time friends, with all their damage, and bullshit, and tired rear end in-jokes bouncing off each other to full effect. That is not easy to perform or write, but it is very endearing and it's what's kept the show going even when the overarching plot goes to poo poo.

The fact they have this effect while recording their lines separately is a testament to both them and the editors.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
There's a live BTS video of the animation department RIGHT NOW at https://www.facebook.com/100009189661735/videos/1720526201597019/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED though I've no idea which one Vishass is.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

There's a live BTS video of the animation department RIGHT NOW at https://www.facebook.com/100009189661735/videos/1720526201597019/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED though I've no idea which one Vishass is.

It's recorded if you want to get a decent 75% of a tour of the studio and animation pipeline (the phone battery started to die... and go read the book?)

I was in an office he doesn't visit.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

iajanus posted:

I apologise for my countrymen.

To be fair, Working Dog were terrific 25 years ago when they were the D-Gen and young and anti-establishment. Now they're old and boring and are still trying to do the same stuff they did way back when without realising that the world has moved on and that poo poo just doesn't work anymore.

Like a guy a few years past middle age who's dyed his hair blond and started shopping at Hot Topic.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Came to make fun of Pacific Heat when I saw it highlighted on Netflix. Beaten to it by a couple days.

"Pacific Heat review – unfunny Archer lookalike blighted by sexism and racism"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Met posted:

Came to make fun of Pacific Heat when I saw it highlighted on Netflix. Beaten to it by a couple days.

"Australian comedy review – unfunny, blighted by sexism and racism"

fixed

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Hey, don't tar micallef with the same brush as that other trash.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
That bit at the end of The Art Of Archer suggesting there's a scavenger hunt hidden in it is just a joke, right? Right?

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

That bit at the end of The Art Of Archer suggesting there's a scavenger hunt hidden in it is just a joke, right? Right?

I don't know
https://twitter.com/KriegerSignals/status/809123206648958977?lang=en

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh jesus. Time to wait for nerdier nerds than I to figure it all out.

I liked the book a lot! Gorgeous object.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

counterfeitsaint posted:

I watched half an episode of Pacific Heat just to see what all the fuss was about. I was kinda hoping it would be so bad it was entertaining, even though I kinda doubted that would be the case. Anyways, it's awful loving garbage that can get hosed. It's like someone wanted to make Family Guy but also somehow make it extra boring.

Yea its loving terrible I could barely get past 5 minutes, it just made me want the next season of Archer more

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Season 8 promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS00-mxtF70&feature=youtu.be

Also the show is moving to FXX(permanently?): http://www.thewrap.com/archer-moves-fxx-season-8/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The uploader has not made this video available in your country. will never not be funny for show PREVIEWS.

:argh:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Last season was supposed to be on FXX, but they kept it on FX a couple months before it aired. The ratings were lower so I figured they'd go through with it this time.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Last season was supposed to be on FXX, but they kept it on FX a couple months before it aired. The ratings were lower so I figured they'd go through with it this time.

I'm sure the quality won't be hit so I'm fine with it. As long as it stays on the air.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, FXX is a bit more established now.

It really seems like they want FXX to be comedy and FX to be drama honestly.

Man Seeking Woman, You're The Worst, and Always Sunny are all first run on FXX now.

It really doesn't matter with Archer anyways since we have 3 more seasons already renewed and Adam Reed is going to end it afterward.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Brickleberry is a funnier and more well crafted show than Pacific Heat. Amazing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, FXX is a bit more established now.

Man Seeking Woman, You're The Worst, and Always Sunny are all first run on FXX now.

It really doesn't matter with Archer anyways since we have 3 more seasons already renewed and Adam Reed is going to end it afterward.

Considering FXX is mostly Simpsons reruns moving all of the original comedies to it would make sense.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

MariusLecter posted:

Brickleberry is a funnier and more well crafted show than Pacific Heat. Amazing.

:stare:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MariusLecter posted:

He's not wrong. Pacific Heat is pretty bad.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

But is it worse than Allen Gregory, the gold standard of awful animated programming?

I still want to know how that show was green-lit and what Rupert Murdoch was having sex with in the pictures Jonah Hill got his hands on to make it happen.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Remember when Fox made a Napoleon Dynamite cartoon 8 years after Napoleon Dynamite hit theaters and 7 years after anyone gave a poo poo?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Allen Gregory

The gently caress even is this? The premise alone is the worst thing ever and looking at some clips, it only goes downhill from there.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Where does Spaceballs the animated series fall down the line here?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm rewatching the show from the beginning and the writing is so drat fun in the first few episodes. "Release him"/(in Vader voice) "As you wish."/"I find your lack of faith disturbing." between Mallory, Lana, and Cyril was great.

Skippy McPants posted:

The gently caress even is this? The premise alone is the worst thing ever and looking at some clips, it only goes downhill from there.

You know how a main character of a show is an rear end in a top hat, but the storyline gives the rear end in a top hat some comeuppance for being said rear end in a top hat and you feel better or enjoy it?

That never happened in Allen Gregory, and there were only one or two sympathetic characters (the daughter and the school principal Allen has a sexual attraction to). Allen was a terrible human being who was never remotely funny (except probably to a baked-out-of-his-mind Jonah Hill), his biological dad is a twat, and his "stepdad", who seems alright at first, is an admitted straight man who left his family and marriage so he could essentially be a gay-for-pay gold digger. Every possible redeeming thing about the show was smothered by the three main characters who were scum.

The episode list tells you what you need to know, really: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Gregory#Episodes

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In some ways, Allen Gregory MAYBE would have played better in 2016. Not saying the show would BE better, as people who are just finding it now are still as hateful of it as original airing audiences, but it seems like in a post-Trump world there is maybe an audience that WANTS to see these sort of examples of horrible, hypocritical big city 'elites' without comeuppance because it could be something they could point at "this is how it REALLY is!"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jonah Hill said that his inspiration for Allen Gregory was Kenny Powers on Eastbound and Down. Never mind that people watch unlikable/very flawed main characters in comedy exist to see them get shot down. Seinfeld, Curb, Always Sunny, Eastbound and Down, Archer... I could go on. The list of sitcoms that don't do it right is much shorter: Allen Gregory and Girls. Not surprisingly, they're both awful as a result.

MariusLecter posted:

haha you watched Brickleberry.

bull3964 posted:

Well, drama and the kind of vaguely comedic shows that caused Norm MacDonald to say that "genius creates a bunch of loving idiots" regarding Louie. Nonetheless, it's come a long way from being minor league FX.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
Having infinite Simpson's really elevated the brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

Jonah Hill said that his inspiration for Allen Gregory was Kenny Powers on Eastbound and Down. Never mind that people watch unlikable/very flawed main characters in comedy exist to see them get shot down. Seinfeld, Curb, Always Sunny, Eastbound and Down, Archer... I could go on. The list of sitcoms that don't do it right is much shorter: Allen Gregory and Girls. Not surprisingly, they're both awful as a result.

haha you watched Brickleberry.

Well, drama and the kind of vaguely comedic shows that caused Norm MacDonald to say that "genius creates a bunch of loving idiots" regarding Louie. Nonetheless, it's come a long way from being minor league FX.

You say this like Girls isn't a critical darling that's gone on for five years. Allen Gregory was an abject failure all around. It ran for 7 episodes.

• Locked thread