Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'd say it needs a lot more horizontal progression. Right now in pretty much every Elder Scrolls game, once you get Daedric weapons you are basically set for life and there's no real reason to upgrade. I would ballpark that I'm around 25%-50% done with my Morrowind playthrough and I'm basically maxed out. The last things for me to do are spend ludicrous amounts of money to train skills, and eventually maybe enchanting but enchanting is insanely expensive in Morrowind Rebirth. I don't feel like bothering to add on-hit enchantments because its such a pain to keep that poo poo charged. I keep a glass jinkblade on me just in case, because its only 2lbs, but I doubt I'll ever need to use it.

Its also worth pointing out that you can get Daedric weapons very early on if you go to the right places. There's a daedric dagger you can get within 10 minutes of starting a new game, and encountering zero enemies. On the one hand I think that's really cool and open-worldy and stuff, but on the other hand it kills that feeling of progression.
Unless you're running some mod that disables it, enchantments recharge over time. That's one of the things that bugged me the most when Oblivion came out, that they didn't do that any more and I had to keep looking for soul gems to keep stuff working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'd say it needs a lot more horizontal progression. Right now in pretty much every Elder Scrolls game, once you get Daedric weapons you are basically set for life and there's no real reason to upgrade. I would ballpark that I'm around 25%-50% done with my Morrowind playthrough and I'm basically maxed out. The last things for me to do are spend ludicrous amounts of money to train skills, and eventually maybe enchanting but enchanting is insanely expensive in Morrowind Rebirth. I don't feel like bothering to add on-hit enchantments because its such a pain to keep that poo poo charged. I keep a glass jinkblade on me just in case, because its only 2lbs, but I doubt I'll ever need to use it.

Its also worth pointing out that you can get Daedric weapons very early on if you go to the right places. There's a daedric dagger you can get within 10 minutes of starting a new game, and encountering zero enemies. On the one hand I think that's really cool and open-worldy and stuff, but on the other hand it kills that feeling of progression.

That's a problem with almost every RPG game though, once you get the top weapons then you're set for life almost always.

The second point is what Oblivion/Skyrim does, but it makes the open world kinda feel fake and plasticy, I much prefer the way Morrowind does it. In theory you could implement some sort of weapon levelling to deal with that without killing the open-world atmosphere though.

When I said 'improving combat' I was replying to the guy wanting that glancing blows thing obviously. If you want physics based combat (like Dark Souls or DMMaM) that especially will take a while to do since you'll have to integrate a proper physics engine along with a ton of animation work.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 9, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Woebin posted:

Unless you're running some mod that disables it, enchantments recharge over time. That's one of the things that bugged me the most when Oblivion came out, that they didn't do that any more and I had to keep looking for soul gems to keep stuff working.

You know maybe it does? I've never tried it before! This changes things.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
To me the skills and faction status have always been the real progression in Morrowind, the gear is just kind of like "how soon can I pay dress up Barby and get what I want".

Re: combat I think that the stamina usage (or lack there of) is the biggest fundamental problem with all the TES games. It's the one thing that the souls games do right and contributes the most to the experience but it's often overlooked.

Stamina is integral to the experience and determines the entire flow of the combat: when you have none you're a sitting duck, the combat is fast paced so it regenerates quickly, and the more powerful the weapon the more stamina you use.

In all the TES games they're largely meaningless bars that regenerate slowly and mostly dictate how fast or slow you travel (ironically stamina in Morrowind plays the biggest factor in combat, more so than in the more action focused 4 and 5).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Private Speech posted:

That's a problem with almost every RPG game though, once you get the top weapons than you're set for life almost always.

The second point is what Oblivion/Skyrim does, but it makes the open world kinda feel fake and plasticy, I much prefer the way Morrowind does it. In theory you could implement some sort of weapon levelling to deal with that without killing the open-world atmosphere though.

I'd say the solution is more unique loot. Morrowind had a pretty good assortment of named legendary weapons strewn about. I thought it was cool when I found this named sword and then later found a book about that sword. I actually had to fight someone for the sword, as opposed to that daedric dagger that was just lying in the ground. I think its fun to find these items, even if I don't end up using them. In Skyrim I remember clearing out a dungeon and finding like an iron sword or something.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
More like Elder Souls, am I right?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

after my most recent playthrough the thing i most want improved is the recharge enchantment menu. it takes 5 clicks to use a single soul gem on an item, and each click is in a different spot on the screen. training enchant is torturous

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

morrowind combat is superior to all other elder scrolls combat because spears, the end.

I'd say the solution is more unique loot. Morrowind had a pretty good assortment of named legendary weapons strewn about. I thought it was cool when I found this named sword and then later found a book about that sword. I actually had to fight someone for the sword, as opposed to that daedric dagger that was just lying in the ground. I think its fun to find these items, even if I don't end up using them. In Skyrim I remember clearing out a dungeon and finding like an iron sword or something.

maybe someday i'll do a long effortpost about it, but unique artifacts are, in a way, the primary driving force behind me loving morrowind so much. not directly, but i'll put it this way: when i was new to the game, i wandered into a random cave that turned into a daedric ruin. in that ruin was eleidon's ward, ie the best shield in the game. it was the first 'oh poo poo' moment i had exploring morrowind and it made me want to go poke around in every single nook and cranny around the game world. it's like a carrot on the end of a stick type of effect, for me at least, knowing that a random nondescript cave might have something fantastic in it that isn't even connected to a quest or anything, and it's isn't random leveled loot but a loving amazing, unique item.

or for another example, in my current playthrough i am exploring even the ancestral tombs and mines, and while looking for something for a mages guild quest, i happened into an ancestral tomb and walked out with the ring of phynaster, an artifact i've never seen before that kicks rear end.

a loving ton of effort was put into making the game world of morrowind worth exploring and i do not feel that skyrim or esepecially, especially oblivion did this anywhere near as well (or hell, in oblivion's case, at all). it is the key to this games magic, for me at least.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah the end goal for a MW playthrough for me is to unite the island's factions under my one man rulership, and to collect most of the artifacts. All of the other TES games didn't give me a goal like that, the factions were easy and there was no cool random poo poo lying around. I don't really stick around for story and combat alone, and Morrowind's story is better than any of the other games' anyway.

e: Oh yeah, and to procure a gondolier's hat

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah the end goal for a MW playthrough for me is to unite the island's factions under my one man rulership, and to collect most of the artifacts. All of the other TES games didn't give me a goal like that, the factions were easy and there was no cool random poo poo lying around. I don't really stick around for story and combat alone, and Morrowind's story is better than any of the other games' anyway.

e: Oh yeah, and to procure a gondolier's hat

A mod to unite The Great Houses of the Dunmer and drive the mongrel dogs of the empire from Morrowind without necessarily taking Dagoth Ur's side would be my dream mod if done well.

I'd love some kind of systems-based approach to great house rulership (mines, revenues, spreadsheets) as well as events like the stronghold in Pillars of Eternity with various scenarios that come your way.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I've got a few mods brewing atm, one is a simple crafting mod, I finally got permission from darknut to be able to use his textures (after I asked months ago lol), but I think I can do smithing better than Morrowind Complete does. I think I might just wait until OpenMW 1.0 + better support and hack it in as a base skill.

Another is adding in artifacts to TR that have interesting upsides and downsides and quests attached to them, but I can't say I have good idea of where they should go. I probably have 10+ items at this point (aka about 11) but I need to do another TR playthrough to find where I think they would best fit. I don't want to put more than one in kemel-ze, that place kinda sucks gameplay-wise but it's really cool

the third that this most recent discussion reminded me of is an artifact shuffle mod. Essentially a randomizer for artifact placement, I'm trying to get away with as little scripting as possible but still have it fairly robust in what it can do. It might end up with replacing every artifact with a chest that contains a random artifact which wouldn't be amazing but this isn't skyrim (which has that capability built in)

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm having troubles getting the swift casting in the MCP to work. I've tried twice (and have used the 4gb patch again each time). I think the other things in the patch are working.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
It is time for yet another reinstall... My question is... am i missing any hidden gems? have i missed something great that literally everyone has? is my list a pile of spergy poo poo?

_001_ Morrowind.esm
_002_ Tribunal.esm
_003_ Bloodmoon.esm
_004_ Siege at Firemoth Fort.esm
_005_ Morrowind Patch v1.6.6_beta.esm
_006_ The Undead.esm - cool mod which adds tons of undead to tombs and the like
_007_ Morrowind Advanced.esm - I hardly remember what this does
_008_ GDR_MasterFile.esm - darknut's greater dwemer ruins, a v good mod, yes.
_009_ MCA.esm - morrowind comes alive, for spergy immersion
_010_ Texture Fix 2.0.esm - self explanatory
_011_ Rise of House Telvanni.esm -
_012_ Better Heads.esm - everyones uses this
_013_ Aduls_Master_Mod.esm - more spergy realism
_014_ £exa's Dwemer Alchemy V2 (EN).esm - cool as gently caress german mod, but riddled with bad refs and broken triggers. adds an dwemer robot thing that takes, sorts and auto stores all your alchemical stuff in 5 v cool ingredient racks.

_015_ Better Heads Tribunal addon.esm - self explanatory
_016_ Better Heads Bloodmoon addon.esm - self explanatory
_017_ H.E.L.L.U.V.A._Merchant_Containers.esm - leveled list thing for merchants
_018_ Daedric Invocation.esp - allows you to get daedric quests from any of their statues
_019_ Assassins Armory.esp - weapon mod
_020_ RKCriminals TR&BM.esp - makes your criminal status by town rather than global
_021_ KS_Julan_Ashlander Companion_1.3.esp - the only non terrible, well-written, non-nymphomaniac morrowind companion mod i have ever found
_022_ Rectified Fines.ESP- makes fines non retarded
_023_ Protective Guards.esp -guards will attack stuff that goes hostile to you in towns etc
_024_ Enchanted Weapon Variety BM.esp
_025_ indybank-NoHouses.esp - store your poo poo in a bank! woahh
_026_ ImprovedTeleportation2.0.esp- self explanatory
_027_ GRM_Companion_Recall_Ring.esp - self explanatory
_028_ MCA_Companions_Enhanced.esp - self explanatory
_029_ Xenn's Marksman Overhaul.ESP - makes crossbows non terrible
_030_ Encumberance increaser StrX7.5.esp - self explanatory
_031_ More_Useful_Spears.ESP - makes spears not terrible
_032_ NX9_Guards_Complete.ESP - makes guards not terrible
_033_ Better Clothes Complete (BTB Edit).esp - self explanatory
_034_ IceNioLivRobeReplacerPLUS (BTB Edit).esp - self explanatory
_035_ Talrivian's State-Based HP Mod v.2.2.esp - self explanatory
_036_ Area Effect Projectiles (PAR Edit).esp - self explanatory
_037_ Books of Vvardenfell.esp - more books
_038_ Hold it - replacer.esp - npcs hold stuff
_039_ H.E.L.L.U.V.A. Handy Holdables.esp- npcs hold stuff
_040_ MQE_CrowdControl.ESP self explanatory
_041_ MQE_GarrisonedGhostgate.ESP self explanatory
_042_ MQE_ImperialIntolerance.ESP self explanatory
_043_ MQE_SixthHouseShrines.ESP self explanatory
_044_ BTB - Spells.esp
_045_ BTB - Alchemy.esp
_046_ BTB - Settings.esp
_047_ LGNPC_SeydaNeen.esp self explanatory
_048_ LGNPC_GnaarMok_v1_20.esp self explanatory
_049_ LGNPC_AldVelothi_v1_20.esp self explanatory
_050_ LGNPC_MaarGan.esp self explanatory
_051_ LGNPC_HlaOad.esp self explanatory
_052_ LGNPC_Aldruhn_v1_20.esp self explanatory
_053_ LGNPC_Pelagiad.esp self explanatory
_054_ LGNPC_TelMora_v1_30.esp self explanatory
_055_ LGNPC_VivecFQ.esp self explanatory
_056_ LGNPC_IndarysManor_v1_51.esp self explanatory
_057_ LGNPC_VivecRedoran.esp self explanatory
_058_ BTB - Character.esp
_059_ BTB - Equipment.esp
_060_ Aduls_Arsenal.esp -weapon mod
_061_ Aduls_Library_Revised.esp- collect books n poo poo, bring em here to be catalogued bla bla
_062_ The Neverhalls.esp - dungeon
_063_ AtmosphericSoundEffects-3.0-Tribunal.esp
_064_ Daggerfall Collection Ver 1.0 (BTB Edit).esp
_065_ Daggerfall Collection Ver 1.1 (BTB Edit).esp
_066_ LeveledMagicka.esp - mana stuff
_067_ DN-GDRv1.1.esp
_068_ master_index.esp
_069_ AOF Potions Recolored T+B.esp - potion model replacer
_070_ ring_teleport v3_Tealpanda.esp- cheesy teleport ring
_071_ GOTYMinImpactSomeMPPv2.01.esp- ???
_072_ DynamicMagickaRegeneration-2.1-Tribunal.esp -mana regen
_073_ dh_furn.esp- house/furniture mod
_074_ dh_furn_stores.esp - house/furniture mod
_075_ dh_furn-jms_patch.esp - house/furniture mod
_076_ IceBradyHurdyRobeReplacerALL (BTB Edit).esp
_077_ dh_homes.esp - house/furniture mod
_078_ dh_thriftshop.esp - house/furniture mod
_079_ Better Bodies.esp- self explanatory
_080_ Byb_Traders 300.esp
_081_ The Imperial Legion Badge.esp
_082_ NB_Soulgems_ReplacerCLEAN.esp - self explanatory
_083_ Syc_HerbalismforPurists_BM.esp - self explanatory
_084_ Syc_HerbalismforPurists_TB.esp - self explanatory
_085_ Syc_HerbalismforPurists (Pearl Bug Edit).esp
_086_ Clean PJM Themed bowsets.esp- bow mod
_087_ sm_ForgottenHalls.esp- dungeon
_088_ Service Requirements (BTB Edit).esp -realismmm
_089_ MW_Adv_Required (BTB Edit).esp ??
_090_ Morrowind Treasures.esp- collect some cool knickknacks and store them in your home or w/e
_091_ Unique Jewelry and Accessories_no ench.esp - self explanatory
_092_ Lights 300 v5.esp- my fav lighting mod
_093_ Mashed Lists.esp - self explanatory

Matty fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 15, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Matty posted:

is my list a pile of spergy poo poo?

_001_ Morrowind.esm

Let's not kid ourselves here.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Sotha Sil Expanded (trainwiz's GDR-equivalent for tribunal). Uvirith's Legacy and Building Up Uvirith's Legacy (if you're down with RoHT, you'll probably love these), BigMod (ranks in factions let you do more stuff). I also like Necessities and Stinkers but I may just be an idiot.

---

I really wish there was a better way to collaborate on mod installations and orderings than posting lists like this. I've thought of using gitlab repositories, but I assume that would constitute distributing the mods not how the authors wanted.

One of my Someday/Maybe projects is a mod package management system built off OpenMW and Nix. It wouldn't be compatible with hand-edits to the settings.cfg file, but more importantly people still want to play the non-open game. Also, I hear Nix is not-too-great on Windows. But the result would be a file that describes exactly what mods you want and what order to load them in. Edit the file and re-run the command, and mods are installed or uninstalled as you wish.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 15, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Doc Hawkins posted:

Sotha Sil Expanded (trainwiz's GDR-equivalent for tribunal).

I don't understand how people can recommend a mod which features an invisible floating maze with no walls.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I might just be a casual but I found Sotha Sil Expanded extremely frustrating without some kind of "how to" to refer to. I couldn't tell whether I'd broken something by going somewhere I wasn't meant to be or if I'd just gotta plain old stuck.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Entropy238 posted:

I might just be a casual but I found Sotha Sil Expanded extremely frustrating without some kind of "how to" to refer to. I couldn't tell whether I'd broken something by going somewhere I wasn't meant to be or if I'd just gotta plain old stuck.

I think I got about 5-6 hours into the mod and entered a fail state when I ran out of repair hammers to fix the Boots of Blinding speed.

It's just a really tedious, frustrating experience that seems designed for an entirely different game with different mechanics and a different engine. I felt like I advanced more through brute force than solving any puzzles, and when I realized that I would have to cheat to keep playing the mod or abandon all of my progress I decided that it just wasn't worth the time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't see Muffinwind in that load order but I assume it's because my eyes are tired

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't see Muffinwind in that load order but I assume it's because my eyes are tired

gently caress, just realized it's missing from the OP and I won't be able to fix it until tomorrow (phoneposting) and will probably forget to do it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Entropy238 posted:

As I noted re: NoM and Bathing mod, I could be an idiot masochist.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

If there's no advice on Mcp swift casting is there an alternative?

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:

I'm fairly certain that there's a newer version of Julan, but I'm on mobile so I can't check.
Illuminated Order is a fun quest mod that does some pretty neat things with the engine, but it's a bit lore bending if you're at all worried about that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Matty posted:

_064_ Daggerfall Collection Ver 1.0 (BTB Edit).esp
_065_ Daggerfall Collection Ver 1.1 (BTB Edit).esp

Why are you loading them both? You should only use 1.1.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I've never made a character with Sneak as anything other than a misc. skill--is it actually worth investing in and taking as a Major/Minor skill? Morrowind seems like it would have a clunky/broken stealth system so I never bothered.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, stealth is something that Morrowind did not do well compared to later iterations in the series.

Generally speaking, you're either 100% undetectable and the enemy AI shits the bed and they start panicking and running around like idiots or it's impossible to sneak in the first place. Never really feels like there's much middle ground.

If you wanted to do stealth I'd suggest keeping sneak as a misc and training it and then using illusion magic.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Sneak is nice for stealth archers since it's easier to stay hidden at a distance, and you can save yourself the inconvenience of having to constantly reapply chameleon or invisibility effects. For thieving and backstabbing in close quarters then illusion magic is better. Of course any character can get both the Amulet of Shadows and Ring of Surroundings quite early in the game and be able to apply 100% chameleon pretty much at will, negating the need for Sneak or Illusion.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Slowly building up the willpower to finish setting up and playing this game, does MGE Distant Lands still require that patched EXE linked in the OP?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Matty posted:

It is time for yet another reinstall... My question is... am i missing any hidden gems? have i missed something great that literally everyone has? is my list a pile of spergy poo poo?

Tamriel Rebuilt?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Slowly building up the willpower to finish setting up and playing this game, does MGE Distant Lands still require that patched EXE linked in the OP?

what patched exe?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Musical_Daredevil posted:

(To get MGE Distant Lands working using Steam, follow this link: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911508)

This link has a download, though admittedly I haven't tried anything in the archive it gives you.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
... isn't all you need for distant land is to disable the Steam Overlay?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm reinstalling and modding Morrowind again. It's been over 10 years since I've last done this, and over 5 since I last looked into it. I'm running the Steam version on Windows 10 x64 and just want to use MGSO and maybe a couple other minor mods. Does MGSO let me change the resolution to 1920x1080? Do I still need to dick around with Wyre Mash and Python versions and whatnot? Or is that just if I'm doing bajillions of mods?

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 25, 2017

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Upmarket Mango posted:

I've never made a character with Sneak as anything other than a misc. skill--is it actually worth investing in and taking as a Major/Minor skill? Morrowind seems like it would have a clunky/broken stealth system so I never bothered.

Trader in Caldera has an invisibility ring for cheap, always grab it when I get the Boots of Blinding Speed.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

americanzero4128 posted:

Does MGSO let me change the resolution to 1920x1080?

I believe MGSO includes MGE and if it does then the answer is yes.

Seventh_Samurai
Jul 5, 2007
dick blick
Any ideas as to what would cause everything at a close view distance to completely white out? I've got MGSO installed along with MGE and distant land. It seems to happen randomly, only affects outside cells and doesn't go away when I wait. Only solution I've figured out is to just reload a previous save and hope it doesn't happen again. At first I thought missing textures/meshes, but that wouldn't happen intermittently. Maybe something with MGE, but I wouldn't know what

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sky Shadowing posted:

... isn't all you need for distant land is to disable the Steam Overlay?

No clue, this is the first time I've had a computer that makes Distant Lands a realistic option.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Seventh_Samurai posted:

Any ideas as to what would cause everything at a close view distance to completely white out? I've got MGSO installed along with MGE and distant land. It seems to happen randomly, only affects outside cells and doesn't go away when I wait. Only solution I've figured out is to just reload a previous save and hope it doesn't happen again. At first I thought missing textures/meshes, but that wouldn't happen intermittently. Maybe something with MGE, but I wouldn't know what

sounds like some wacky shader issue

Seventh_Samurai
Jul 5, 2007
dick blick
I tried disabling shaders, but that didn't fix the issue. Here's my shader chain as well as MGE settings, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh_Samurai
Jul 5, 2007
dick blick
Managed to figure it out, or at least a rough solution. Process of elimination showed me that it was a problem with MGE, specifically distant land. Tweaked various settings and found out that setting my draw distance to anything except 23 cells fixes the problem. Distant land off: fine. 22 cells: fine. 24 cells: fine. 23 cells: white out. :iiam: