Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Is the freezer stopping eggs from hatching new? I know I've had a stack of eggs hatch in the freezer but it could have been a couple of updates ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Ok, thanks for the tips. I noticed that Plan Carefully is at the top of the Steam Workshop lists so I'll probably pick that up and then save some decent pawns. I wasn't really aware at how many mods were out for this game already.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

do the pawns have a file in the game files when you use PC to make your own? I would like some goon pawns to eat work with.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Buy slave with great traits
She puts on clothes
Goes outside
Mauled to death by panther

I swear, in my map, these loving panthers are the biggest threat. I had to force everyone to stay in the base at all times because of these loving things

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Predators are a really serious problem this alpha, yeah. I like that but it's an extra level of difficulty and micromanagement. It does make animal-skilled hunters very valuable though, because you can assign guards to them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I ended up just making an absolutely huge wooden wall around my place. It burns down every so often and raiders break down the doors every time but all other times it keeps the carnivores out and they don't annoy the poo poo out of me.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

When you research Stonecutting a high priority ought to be some stone walls, just for that reason.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
One of my guys was kidnapped by a pirate band, if I drop pod into their base will I find him there? Can I get him back? These fucks stole my level 17 doctor.

I swear I can't keep more than 7 colonists alive at a time on Randy Base Builder... jesus

edit: They called me but I can't afford the ransom... will I get another chance?

edit 2: apparently they do and they keep dropping the ransom every time

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 15, 2017

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Teikanmi posted:

One of my guys was kidnapped by a pirate band, if I drop pod into their base will I find him there? Can I get him back? These fucks stole my level 17 doctor.

I swear I can't keep more than 7 colonists alive at a time on Randy Base Builder... jesus

edit: They called me but I can't afford the ransom... will I get another chance?

edit 2: apparently they do and they keep dropping the ransom every time

he must be a pain in the rear end, soon you'll see a single drop pod fall outside your bass he'll be in there gagged with a noted pinned to his chest saying gently caress this you can have him back.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Could you make potential make-shift cruise missiles by filling drop pods with hopped-up boomalope? Just lob a few at an enemy settlement and just release them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stretch Marx posted:

Could you make potential make-shift cruise missiles by filling drop pods with hopped-up boomalope? Just lob a few at an enemy settlement and just release them.

It kinda works. You have to wait till the enemy attacks them, and enemy bases tend to have firefoam poppers.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Re:Killing Animals and Predators talk

I've started a policy of killing any predators on the map that I don't want to tame, and I've noticed far more game on my maps because of it. Herds of deer, muffalo, turkey, and such stick around the map and I can selectively weed out the older ones of the herd to make sure it's all sustainable. Basically what I'm saying is, treating hunting in the game like you would in real life actually pays off pretty well.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It kinda works. You have to wait till the enemy attacks them, and enemy bases tend to have firefoam poppers.

That's a shame. If they had packs full of explosives would the fire trigger them?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I tried to control my Muffalo population so I slaughtered all the males.

The fact that I had to keep slaughtering the males for a few generations made things pretty awkward.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

OwlFancier posted:

Generally I think release, hotfixes until it runs OK, next alpha.

The game doesn't really get bugfix patches, emergency bugs get fixed shortly after the release and any non urgent ones get rolled into a later update.

There's Zhentar's Vanilla Fixes. Updated on Friday with four new fixes! (And I was generous this time and didn't include a fix for tended wounds never getting infected!)

CainsDescendant posted:

Is the freezer stopping eggs from hatching new? I know I've had a stack of eggs hatch in the freezer but it could have been a couple of updates ago

Yes, as of A16 fertilized eggs get damaged/destroyed over time at temperatures below 0C (previously it was below -20C). A related change, fermenting beer is no longer destroyed immediately outside of the required temperature range; it also takes some time now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So I discovered something fundamentally weird about fueled structures that can have recipes/work bills: if wood is excluded from the fuels list in the config file, even if the structure is fueled, the recipes won't get worked :confused:

I have no idea where this would be defined or how to work around it :shrug:

e: When this situation is set up, if you select a pawn and right click the structure, the bill seems to have the same description as fueling and not actually what it's configured to show

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 15, 2017

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Can someone tell me what the criteria for an infestation placement is, and if anything changed in the recent update? I've got miles upon miles of mining tunnels dug out, some outdoors and some indoors, and yet I've had three infestations all spawn in the same underground base corridor despite it being floored, lit heated and walled up. A few test runs in dev mode saw that same corridor infested despite me setting up a few areas inside the mountain perfect for infestation. What am I missing, because in the past I've dug up areas outside my base and the bugs spawn there rather then my base.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Given overhead thick rock, three things prevent infestation: bright light (sunlamps), cold temperatures (below 0 F), and/or placing objects in every square so the hives cannot spawn (rubble works).

Light is less effective than the other two as it just shifts percentage chance to spawn.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Given overhead thick rock, three things prevent infestation: bright light (sunlamps), cold temperatures (below 0 F), and/or placing objects in every square so the hives cannot spawn (rubble works).

Light is less effective than the other two as it just shifts percentage chance to spawn.

Great, so my lovely heated corridor is drawing in every bug away from the frozen mining tunnels?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MadJackMcJack posted:

Great, so my lovely heated corridor is drawing in every bug away from the frozen mining tunnels?

Well, if the mining tunnels are all under 0 F the bugs *can't* spawn there, it's only light that's a matter of probability. But yeah.

Bright side: it's relatively straightforward to use heaters to heat the bugs to 170 F and give them heatstroke, and standard woolen cowboy hats and dusters are enough for your colonists to be comfortable at 170F.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

wool hat and coat makes 170F comfortable

What? Seriously?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

I ended up just making an absolutely huge wooden wall around my place. It burns down every so often and raiders break down the doors every time but all other times it keeps the carnivores out and they don't annoy the poo poo out of me.

A walled courtyard around your farms is a very good idea.

Mimesweeper posted:

What? Seriously?

It's a little silly as the game doesn't differentiate between being out in the desert and being in a literal oven, so the desert survival gear also works if you decide to heat a room up to 70C.

Heat really is the best way to fight bugs, compartmentalize your mountain bases and ensure they have good ventilation to the outdoors, then chuck a molotov in the room and watch as you heat it until the floor glows. You'll damage any flammable material in the room but it'll kill the infestation, the difficulty is not cooking the rest of your base in the process, which is what necessitates the layout. Sometimes you'll just have to evacuate outside until it cools down.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 15, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mimesweeper posted:

What? Seriously?

yup. varies a bit by material type.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Well, if the mining tunnels are all under 0 F the bugs *can't* spawn there, it's only light that's a matter of probability. But yeah.

Bright side: it's relatively straightforward to use heaters to heat the bugs to 170 F and give them heatstroke, and standard woolen cowboy hats and dusters are enough for your colonists to be comfortable at 170F.

My main concern is that they'll spawn when the corridor is in use and murder the poor saps before they can react.

That said, I'm now going to set up a separate room, heated, dark and underground, slightly away from my main base as spawn bait, and then hopefully they will spawn there and get roasted when I crank up the heat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MadJackMcJack posted:

My main concern is that they'll spawn when the corridor is in use and murder the poor saps before they can react.

That said, I'm now going to set up a separate room, heated, dark and underground, slightly away from my main base as spawn bait, and then hopefully they will spawn there and get roasted when I crank up the heat.

There's also a cap of 30 hives per map, apparently, so you could try keeping 30 hives going off-base and then none should spawn in your base.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

There's also a cap of 30 hives per map, apparently, so you could try keeping 30 hives going off-base and then none should spawn in your base.

A17 Bug Fixes

-Removed the cap on infestation hives

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Bollocks to that, my husky army needs kibble!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh if you're up at thirty hives they're constantly cranking out new bugs. Even if you're knocking them out with heatstroke there's always fresh ones in the area at that point due to spawn rates.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I just line my guys up outside, send in one guy with fast walker and a shield to draw bug agro, run around outside in circles around my gunners and wait for all the bugs to get murdered while chasing the guy. Works one hundred percent of the time, fifty percent of the time, all of the time (tm).

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Wall it up and install a massive bank of air cons pointing the hot vent into the cave. Go past heatstroke and straight into oven baked.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Speaking of hives you can also use this as a method to farm jelly. Crank up the heat until bugs have heatstroke, send in a pawn to collect (with heat appropriate gear), cool it down and the bugs go back to tending the hives.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

After a year I decided the place I had embarked really wasn't suited for what I wanted to build, too many hills and ponds in the way of everything. But instead of having to abandon and restart I just packed all our food and meds up, and the whole merry band spent a couple of days walking through the woods, then settled someplace new. And it's pretty much perfect with a huge open area for my cult-castle-thing I want to build!

thank u tie nan

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I've been using this Medical Complication pack for A15. Is there anything similar that you guys know about for A16? I've poked around their forums a bit but haven't seen anything so encompassing that appears to work with A16.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally finished my spergcube/colony.

All natural except for the islands on the left, but I figured a bit of terraforming isn't that big of a deal

Thank god I only work 4 days a week

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

Love the prison Island, how did you do it?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Cult mod does not gently caress around holy poo poo we just got hosed up by a Chthonian

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Teikanmi posted:

Finally finished my spergcube/colony.

All natural except for the islands on the left, but I figured a bit of terraforming isn't that big of a deal

Thank god I only work 4 days a week

Oh, this is the good stuff right here

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Most of the prison island was already there but I enabled Development Mode in the options and then the first play button at the top. On the menu that pops up, in the bottom right corner there is a setting for "Set Terrain" and you can put down whatever terrain you want, so I did sand, shallow water and deep water. Again I don't consider it cheating per se, because I think it will get added to the game eventually.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hey Hieronymous, when you were having trouble with your secondary base, what kind was it? Like a full on building with multiple people?

I'm thinking I should send a couple drop pods with a dude or two and a pile of supplies and mine out an adjacent map hex and ship the metal back to the primary. Think a little mining outpost like that would kill my game?

What happens when you switch back and forth, anyway? Things just keep operating as they are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The game runs both maps at the same time. When there's another group of settlers they are greyed out at the top and clicking on them switches maps to theirs, greying out the other group. My assumption is that two maps and all the weather/animal/NPC/item processing that goes into them chokes up the code somewhere.