Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

lmao ya $10-30 less than 70/80 is obviously 30-60 and not u no 50-60

edit: wait how the gently caress do you get to $30 from $70 even with your made up numbers to make me sound like an rear end in a top hat

Nah, it's cool. Your inability to use a loving shift key paints you as every bit the rear end in a top hat you probably are.

mrbass21 posted:

Maybe I have no soul, but I'm not enjoying The Last Guardian.

Every time I start to get into it, the camera and controls immediately pull me out of it. I get bored of it after playing about 20 minutes and don't care to play anymore.

Everyone has talked about how amazing the game is, so I'm going to finish it. I'm never thinking "man, I want to play TLG!" I usually have to force myself to slog through it.

I know I don't have to, but I want to see this ending everyone is talking about. Plus, I keep convincing myself that it gets better, or that I'm one play session from seeing what everyone raves about.

Stop fighting the camera, it's usually trying to showing you where next to go. This is the same complaint a lot of people have had about all Team ICO (or, uh genDESIGN, I guess, now) games. The Last Guardian is much more an ICO-style camera thing, though. Slow down, play the game at its pace. It's languid on purpose; you're supposed to let Trico and the game kinda show you where to go next, and you nudge the camera if you need to. It's hardly perfect (anything enclosed shits itself), but more often than not you're basically fighting the game trying to subtly show you what's next.

The pace of The Last Guardian is the ultimate ADD test. If you don't just relax and let the game move at its pace, you're going to get super frustrated, and that especially includes commands for Trico. Issue it once; he heard you, but he might be checking out some butterflies or roaring at something. Give him time and he'll do what you asked. I don't think I ever had to give him a second command, but it requires some patience, much like a cat or dog or bird or catdogbird.

ethanol posted:

Try drugs while playing

He ain't wrong, it sure does help make certain scenes that much more impactful.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Dreamcast had freaking Soul Calibur...but I guess the age of fighting games being system sellers is over?

Honestly, has there ever been a system launch so arcade-perfect as the Dreamcast, the ASCII Arcade Stick (the one and only product I was completely happy pushing like I was selling crack when I was in PR back in - ugh - '99) and the Dreamcast with Soulcalibur? It's not that fighting games can't be a draw, it just has to be the perfect fighting game, and jeezus gently caress if it ain't that game and that stick.

[edit] Mother gently caress, I forgot to refresh and now I'm pages behind, sorry guys.

To contribute while I read back through what I missed, I will say this: you assholes with all your Miku talk made me download at and I fell into a deep Miku-hole. Seriously like four solid hours of playing through stuff. This game's track list if you get both bits of DLC (it's weird that they offer it for "free" at 15GB and give you two songs) is loving ridiculous, and while there are some definite duds-to-ear-tearoff-level tracks in there, I'm kinda amazed at how catchy the bulk of the soundtrack. I stumbled on that Memories... song and played it immediate like three more times because it was such a perfect throwback to the trance shows of old. The synth builds, the breakdowns... all of it is an incredible song.

And then I found out that composer has like nothing else. gently caress.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You're being ridiculous.

The game is just amazing and the experience is well worth $60, hell I feel Sony deserves some credit for seeing the development through and demonstrating that this medium isn't entirely based around trying to generate a quick buck through microtransactions. TLG is way way way up there in the very small list of games that has an ending worth working toward and experiencing, and one of maybe four games I've played in the last 25 years that has made me tear up.

I can promise you that this (kinda like Gravity Rush) falls squarely into the "we want it because it isn't what other people will make" category. We had budgets and stuff, of course, but one of the big reasons why I'm really happy at my job is that stuff gets made purely because it needs to exist, and (for the most part), we aren't encouraged to push stuff that obviously won't sell. Though of course I do because jeezus, man, these games are great and everyone should play them. I just have to do it passively on the site because there isn't a huge ad push for this stuff. Makes me feel good.

Oxxidation posted:

Trico's got a few tics that amount to "no, I'm not doing that." Usually when he responds to a command with a loud screech it's a sign to try something else.

Conversely, whenever you give him a command that he does listen to he usually responds immediately - like if you tell him to go forward and jump on something he'll snort and tense up for the leap.

The only area where I really had trouble getting him to listen was during a certain water puzzle where you need him to dive below the surface and swim while you're hanging onto his back. The AI doesn't respond to "forward" commands properly in water, so I had to trick the AI by hanging onto him while he was doggy-paddling on the surface and then climbing down so the kid was submerged beneath the water. Once that happened, Trico's AI must have gone into "follow" mode because he dove down right away.

I'm going to ruin your whole night with this, possibly, but the Trico AI is basically mapped to "do what The Kid does" and if something isn't working, you're either in the wrong place or he doesn't understand something new. In that case, it's simply dive toward that bit and he'll follow, allowing you to grab (it might be automatic, actually). The entire game is structured behind the scenes to let your actions inform how Trico does stuff. Once you know that, the 5 hour speedrun isn't so insane.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Now that I've finished 6 and Kiwami maybe I'll go back and play 0 again.

Kiwami looks sublime at 60fps and with all the different styles. How hard is is to play through and "get" the storyline if your Japanese is effectively that of a pre-schooler now?

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

It costs GameStop $00.50 to refurbish a PS4 controller so I wouldn't worry much about it, like I said many employees will knowingly do it, I'm not saying to try to be sly just bring it in and see if they take it even knowing that it's broken.

I took it to them this afternoon and told them it had issues and they gave me $20.50 instead of the $24.50 that you usually get. Picked up another XB1 controller since I only have one (though I play it maybe 1/10th the time I play my PS4).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Got an LG 55UH76 and a pro and for some reason it doesn't recognize it's got HDR. What gives

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

Most Sony stuff used various forms of Memory Stick until the Vita (their new high-end stuff uses yet another format

does it? as far as i know they use sd cards like everyone else.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wandle Cax posted:

Nope, Sony used their own proprietary memory sticks for the Vita so they could jack up the price.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Calaveron posted:

Got an LG 55UH76 and a pro and for some reason it doesn't recognize it's got HDR. What gives

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but didn't some company (LG) have a patch coming on their TV to enable HDR?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Feenix posted:

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but didn't some company (LG) have a patch coming on their TV to enable HDR?

Yeah, I've been looking into it and that is kind of silly. I mean the games still look really good because my TV is enormous, but I want it to look at its best if I paid for it

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Wandle Cax posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope, Sony used their own proprietary memory sticks for the Vita so they could jack up the price.

Clearly I typed "until the Vita" for my health; thanks for the catch, Fishmech.

XQD took over Sony's high-end.

The Vita is not high-end and the Vita memory situation was reactionary as gently caress.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

ARMS actually looks decent too

Lol that anyone would be excited about a motion control game in tyool 2017 that isn't part of some VR nonsense.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

Clearly I typed "until the Vita" for my health; thanks for the catch, Fishmech.

XQD took over Sony's high-end.

The Vita is not high-end and the Vita memory situation was reactionary as gently caress.

I was talking about the other thing you mentioned, hence the part i quoted, I know about vita i've had one since launch. I'd not heard of XQD.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I had a Switch pre-order but cancelled it after seeing it's just more Nintendo being Nintendo.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I'm excited for the Switch. Playing Zelda in bed.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Calaveron posted:

If it's the same as the LG i got recently: go into the "All Settings" version of the menu, go into the "General" menu, scroll all the way down to "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour" and switch it on for the HDMI ports you want HDR on. You might need to restart the PS4 and TV to get it to work after that.

It's turned off by default for some bizarre reason.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Is there any indicator of a game's install progress from disc? Aside from the system making a different noise - I do it so rarely I was like what is that

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Relin posted:

Is there any indicator of a game's install progress from disc? Aside from the system making a different noise - I do it so rarely I was like what is that

Highlight the game on the home screen, press the options button and open up Information.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Lol that anyone would be excited about a motion control game in tyool 2017 that isn't part of some VR nonsense.

FWIW you can play it on the pro controller without motion controls. They are just pushing them the way they did with Splatoon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In case anybody else is geeking out as much about this game as I am, GG released a new story trailer for Horizon Zero Dawn that gives out a few more details about the plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRQDqurZJNk

Here is what I can piece together about the story based on some of my own guesses and what I've seen so far:

-Aloys tribe is probably wiped out by the bad guy tribe. Inciting incident!
-They were probably slaughtered because the head guy wants something that Aloy has and she was conveniently afk at the time.
-The bad guys have the ability to turn the robot dinosaurs hostile. Or more likely, the machines were originally designed for warfare, became docile over time, and they've found a way to turn them back.
-The game will probably be centered around uniting all the other human tribes.
-The awkward af "zero dawn" title probably has to do with the doomsday prophecy that you see in the trailers. But get this, it already happened when humanity wiped itself out with evil robot dinosaurs a thousand years ago, and it's gonna happen again omg!

Looks like pretty standard Video Games plot. If the main character ends up saving humanity via back tattoo like in Waterworld then that'll take the cake. Guerilla Games I've never found Killzone to be that interesting but please don't screw this up, or we'll never get a good IP with robot dinosaurs for another decade!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

exquisite tea posted:

In case anybody else is geeking out as much about this game as I am, GG released a new story trailer for Horizon Zero Dawn that gives out a few more details about the plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRQDqurZJNk

Here is what I can piece together about the story based on some of my own guesses and what I've seen so far:

-Aloys tribe is probably wiped out by the bad guy tribe. Inciting incident!
-They were probably slaughtered because the head guy wants something that Aloy has and she was conveniently afk at the time.
-The bad guys have the ability to turn the robot dinosaurs hostile. Or more likely, the machines were originally designed for warfare, became docile over time, and they've found a way to turn them back.
-The game will probably be centered around uniting all the other human tribes.
-The awkward af "zero dawn" title probably has to do with the doomsday prophecy that you see in the trailers. But get this, it already happened when humanity wiped itself out with evil robot dinosaurs a thousand years ago, and it's gonna happen again omg!

Looks like pretty standard Video Games plot. If the main character ends up saving humanity via back tattoo like in Waterworld then that'll take the cake. Guerilla Games I've never found Killzone to be that interesting but please don't screw this up, or we'll never get a good IP with robot dinosaurs for another decade!

I start off very hyped for Horizon, but the more I've seen story and gameplay wise, the less excited I've become.

The environment still looks great, but as you mentioned every reveal so far makes the plot look very generic. In addition what little we have seen of the gameplay and world map heavily hint at an Ubisoft-Inspired open world game-- Find the outpost, Get Several Copy-Pasted Side Quests, Rinse & Repeat.

That type of gameplay isn't inherently terrible, but when the game is coming out in a time frame that has it competing with Ni-Oh, Nier, and the new Zelda, all of which look significantly more unique and interesting in terms of gameplay, then I'm just not sure what will drive me to play this one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm probably going to play it no matter what because it has basically everything cool about video games and I love the Nu-Tomb Raiders, which this seems to get a large part of its inspiration from. Maybe it'll surprise us but TLoU narrative it is not, it'll be carried by its setting and gameplay.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I don't think any of those games you mentioned have unique gameplay at all. They all look good but unique and interesting gameplay is stretching it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have no desire to play Horizon: Zero Dawn and don't understand the hype for it. It looks like another generic third person action adventure. I'm not sure mashing up genres (dinosaurs + science fiction) necessarily makes for a compelling setting.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ya, looks like a generic ubisoft game but made by a developer with a somehow worse track record.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

Ya, looks like a generic ubisoft game but made by a developer with a somehow worse track record.

Cosign, don't get the hype for this one

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

People seem to stan for Sony's first party just as much as Nintendo's fans do for theirs, so there ya go.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

spudsbuckley posted:

If it's the same as the LG i got recently: go into the "All Settings" version of the menu, go into the "General" menu, scroll all the way down to "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour" and switch it on for the HDMI ports you want HDR on. You might need to restart the PS4 and TV to get it to work after that.

This totally worked, thank you very much
Holy poo poo Infamous SS is super gorgeous with HDR

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

puyo puyo tetris got confirmed for western release! 30 bucks, physical only

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If the game is Far Cry Primal except the lions you can ride are robot lions and the bee bombs you throw have robot bees, then it will probably be in my top ten 2017

Edit: LOL the voice acting and dialogue is just as bland and affectless as it was in Killzone Shadow Fall

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

physical only
whyyyy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ubisoft's rights i guess

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Only Switch gets a digital release unfortunately.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Davincie posted:

Nothing matters.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Davincie posted:

I thought that Sony wasn't allowing that or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Or more likely, the machines were originally designed for warfare, became docile over time, and they've found a way to turn them back.

This would be super goofy. I'm thinking they created themselves in some sort of sci fi evolution/ Skynet deal.

Anyways yeah that game looks cool to me. Seems worth staying cautiously optimistic at the very least.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Horizon is one of those games that don't look bad; it's just that the trailers feel so conspicuously edited that what's not there makes me worried about whether the game's going to be any good.

By rule of thumb, the game's going to be fairly generic and repetitive throughout with only the thinnest of plot. Sometimes, great character dynamics can deal with most of this (Naughty Dog), but there doesn't seem to be any of that either.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'll be happy enough if Horizon is some lightweight rental that will keep me occupied until March 7.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jan/Feb/March this year is ridiculous. It's like the holiday season just doesn't stop until april.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thank you Sony

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Horizon looked nice in the first video, then I learned it was not from a Japanese developer and interest waned instantly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

Power consumption, gotta keep that Energy Star rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Allright I'm stuck on what I'm pretty sure is the infamous water part in TLG. I feel like I did it half right because I got trico to smash part of the floor out but I can't get him to actually get me out of here. Help?