Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I did not like the new ED at all, and the new OP does not particularly catch me either. Loved both in the first half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I like both of the new songs. Granted, I've only heard them once.

The ED placard was suuuuper good. So was the whole episode though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Momo melted my heart in this episode.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yay! This episode gave me a strong sense of Rei actually does wanna win his matches. :D

Do we have an explanation as to what was going on with his slump earlier?

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
As in, what was the slump about? Short answer: depression. Slightly longer answer: I'm having trouble remembering how much of this is explicitly stated in the anime vs. the (very wordy) manga, but in Rei's flashbacks, he claims that he got into shogi because it let him spend time with his dad, and describes himself as having lied to his adoptive father about liking the game in order to "survive" after losing his biological family. Later, when Kyoko basically tells him he doesn't belong anywhere, he narrates that he went pro because he wanted to find a place to belong. It's hard to tell how much of this is true vs. how much of it is a depressed person reflecting obsessively. But anyway, the slump happens after he's cut/avoided all of his social ties and starts spending his non-shogi hours sleeping or ruminating on this idea that he's also not strongly tied to the one thing he's made his life's focus: why bother winning or even trying?

(I guess I haven't posted in this thread before but this manga is one of my favourites and I also really like this adaptation! I'm still hoping that we might get an English manga license announcement, especially because there's no way the anime's going to cover more than a little fraction of what's been published.)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I stopped reading the manga because they stopped translating it back then, now the anime is almost reaching the point where I stopped and I'm super excited. The next match was my favorite moment, I guess a lot of people itt are also hyped up.

I can't wait for the anime to finish and to get back to the manga again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kyoko's "advice" probably didn't help him, either.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I stopped reading the manga because they stopped translating it back then, now the anime is almost reaching the point where I stopped and I'm super excited. The next match was my favorite moment, I guess a lot of people itt are also hyped up.

I can't wait for the anime to finish and to get back to the manga again.
Was this years ago? Because the current scans are pretty far from the anime's current spot.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Yeah, that was years ago, the translation was very erratic until they just stopped. Then in 2015 I heard some other group picked it up but I was too lazy to re-read from the beginning.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Episode five: oh god I'm not sure i can take this.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Symbolic Butt posted:

Yeah, that was years ago, the translation was very erratic until they just stopped. Then in 2015 I heard some other group picked it up but I was too lazy to re-read from the beginning.

it's hi wa mata noboru doing it now, not be with you scans, and they're caught up as far as volume releases go. go check batoto and enjoy crying a lot

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Overlord K posted:

The final shot of the new OP is strong.

Super agree. Very powerful imagery.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

Episode five: oh god I'm not sure i can take this.
*checks what happened in that one*

Oh...oh yeah, that was sure a thing :smith:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
That sequence of smith waking up and eating breakfast in today's ep captivated me even if I'm still unsure if it was technically good. I am certain that that jazzy music def helped a lot

e: i suspected it might've been a reference to something, so i'm not entirely surprised it's a 1:1 recreation of an op from some 70s japanese tv show: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24758574

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 14, 2017

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Coaaab posted:

That sequence of smith waking up and eating breakfast in today's ep captivated me even if I'm still unsure if it was technically good. I am certain that that jazzy music def helped a lot

e: i suspected it might've been a reference to something, so i'm not entirely surprised it's a 1:1 recreation of an op from some 70s japanese tv show: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24758574

Thanks for this! The animation was weirdly choppy (eg the newspaper), but fitting with the tone.

Finally!! Shimada!! Also loved Smith's option C.

And the end card was beautiful.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ep. 6

RIP Hina: died of seeing her crush

I have to watch this show slowly, because my poor squishy heart can't take it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh hey, Shinichiro Miki aka Deishu Kaiki in the house for Shimada. That was a nice surprise.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 15, 2017

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Coaaab posted:

Through that whole segment in the anime I could only freak out about "DUDE, YOU'RE KEEPING MILK IN ROOM TEMPERATURE?! WAIT YOU'RE ACTUALLY GOING TO DRINK IT ROOM TEMPERATURE?! NOOOOOOO".

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Nate RFB posted:

Oh hey, Shinichiro Miki aka Deishu Kaiki in the house for Shimada. That was a nice surprise.

What a perfect voice for Shimada, made me very happy.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I enjoy the extent to which this show appreciates cats.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"I'm even terrible at depression" is one hell of a thought to have :(

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
That was a rough episode for Rei, poor guy. Hammy Shogi Schoolteacher was in top form, though, and I'm really starting to enjoy Smith (that's his name, right? With the kitten.)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

StandardVC10 posted:

Smith (that's his name, right? With the kitten.)

Smith is a nickname, his real name is Tatsuyuki Misumi. Misumi -> Sumisu -> Smith, I guess.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
This felt like the most SHAFT episode of the entire series with some of the stuff they did with Kyoko.

Also man do her and Rei have one complicated as hell relationship

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Also, tumbleweeds in Tokyo.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show

is so good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kyouko just has this sort of unbridled intensity that makes any scene she's in something you want to look away from but just can't, you get caught up in the entire maelstrom that is her. At any rate there were certainly flashes about her up and down relationship with Rei but I feel this is the first time you see her for real. "Don't touch me. But don't move away, either." is almost biting.

E: This look was rad, too:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 29, 2017

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Nate RFB posted:

Kyouko just has this sort of unbridled intensity that makes any scene she's in something you want to look away from but just can't, you get caught up in the entire maelstrom that is her. At any rate there were certainly flashes about her up and down relationship with Rei but I feel this is the first time you see her for real. "Don't touch me. But don't move away, either." is almost biting.

Kyouko is pretty damned BPD.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Nate RFB posted:

E: This look was rad, too:

It was awesome, and then they brought the lightning.

This show is great.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Rei is lively.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
Does anybody know if the manga for this series is going to be released state side?

Chika Umino art and story work is so fantastic. Just wish more of her works would be released out here.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
That non-sequitur at the end of the episode was pretty great.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Rei jumping into the ranging rook vs static rook fight was loving hilarious.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
And so we start getting into the part where I really fell in love with the series. This has been a long path of Rei breaking out of his shell, developing empathy for others, seeing things from the perspective of others. Souya is a vision of what Rei could become, and while it tempts him, he would prefer to create something greater.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Yes Momo, she is a witch.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Fantastic animated sequence in today's first chapter, and then you see Shimada get chumped by Souya and realize how much further Rei still has to go professionally

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm sure some people will disagree but I think this might be the best thing Shaft has ever made. The source material was already great and there were maybe lingering questions about how Shaft's usual stylings would play in such a story, but it's all come together in a wonderful way.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I'm sure some people will disagree but I think this might be the best thing Shaft has ever made. The source material was already great and there were maybe lingering questions about how Shaft's usual stylings would play in such a story, but it's all come together in a wonderful way.

I was about to agree, but then I remembered Hidamari Sketch was Shaft, so now I'm not sure.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Shaft is just one of those studios where I feel like I can't go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like shaft is mostly riding the source material's quality rather than bringing much themselves. but i generally dislike their one-size-fits-all approach where shaftisms are applied just because.

• Locked thread