Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Blinks77 posted:

Not too far off really.

Take the empire roster. Make faster, more skilled and with more magic. Remove gunpowder and add more cost.

Gunpowder is what makes the Empire so much fun. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Beamed posted:

Gunpowder is what makes the Empire so much fun. :smith:

Yeah i'm having a hard time getting into elfs because i know there will never be artillery

maybe pretty elfs will make up for it so pretty

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ok that makes sense, thanks

What units should I prioritize? Dryads seem like an obvious first build then what?

Drayds are good at mulching peasants and other bottom of the barrel infantry and not much else. You should ditch them for eternal guard as soon as possible.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Eternal Guard only really start shining when you get some research and lord skill upgrades for them, the beauty of Dryads early on is that they are cheap, have vanguard deployment and frighten nearby enemy units which means you can quickly envelop and rout most low tier armies. They kind of suck against dwarves though because their attacks do magic damage which the dwarves resist and as soon as you go up against stronger infantry they will get wrecked but by then you'll have those crucial techs and some levels on your lord and EGs become the best bang/buck infantry in the game.

Welfs snowball something absolutely fierce, I never even saw the Empire on my current VC playthrough because the Welfs just stomped them and basically every other empire province faction as well.

edit: also re AI dwarves vs greenskins, my greenskin allies are pulling out some absolutely terrible armies with shitloads of goblin cavalry and like 10+ rock lobbers per stack which is why they are losing every fight in this game at least. I even helped them by razing more than half of the dwarves settlements but they just can't seem to finish them off

Martout fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 14, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Dryads are really good infantry flankers. Keep them back from the initial clash and then either slam into where the other guys lines are weak or loop around the line of scrimmage and charge them into the enemies backs.

Welfs don't really need artillery. Between Treemen and tree kin who can smash down gates super quickly and archers who can shoot at walls impunity (Towers excepted) you don't really need artillery.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Kanos posted:

The autoresolve seems to just kind of simulate mashing the two armies into each other and call it good without considering stuff like maneuver. Dwarf units are universally massively tough and brave so in a fight where two sides are simply ramming face into each other with no tactics involved they're really loving powerful.

It considers "stages". Like it'll simulate a skirmish and then the charge. It considers maneuvers to an extent, by caring somewhat about the speed stat. In Shogun 2 you could see the stages more clearly in practice since it would show the numbers going down at each step but the behind-the-scenes appears to be the same regardless.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there any way to turn trees into shadow because this "steep hillside and all trees" map I'm on seems like basically impossible to see wtf is going on

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
you can only disable foliage that is directly where your camera is, sadly

that battle map is the worst one in the whole game, just atrocious and I always take heavy casualties on it

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Is there any way to turn trees into shadow because this "steep hillside and all trees" map I'm on seems like basically impossible to see wtf is going on

Hold space bar.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nanomashoes posted:

Hold space bar.

Yeah I figured out hold space bar and then click "lock"

wish there were a whole map option

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
It's not as bad in mp because both players suffer but the AI has no eyeballs to occlude heh

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rincewinds posted:

So indistinguishable from the other elf factions. :v:

No see, dark elves are assholes because they're assholes. High Elves are assholes because it serves the interests of Ulthuan. Wood Elves are assholes because they're inscrutable fey beings serving a magic time forest.

Nuance!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Dryads kind of suck IMO. I like Eternal Guard, Glade Guard, and Wild Riders personally.
Yeah, a standard army core of the above plus Wardancers will go a long way. Eventually I swap out the EG for a mix of both Wardancers and maybe a unit of Rangers. Shielded Wild Riders are really good.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Thought this dwarf build was interesting, anyone seen something like it work? It might've if I had brought more monsters and no grave guard, the ironbreakers would've dished out a lot of fire damage with buffs from the two master engineers.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I just started playing an Empire campaign, the first one I've tried since they gave them life wizards, and holy moly is the empire line hard when led by a general with his yellow skills filled out and with a life wizard spamming heal spells on the infantry / demigryphs. Finishing sieges against full stacks with <100 friendly casualties.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Martout posted:

you can only disable foliage that is directly where your camera is, sadly

that battle map is the worst one in the whole game, just atrocious and I always take heavy casualties on it

they brought that map from previous games, and the only sensible way to play is right-click on the other side of the map and walk away, because you'll take as many casualties whether you try in vain to command or not

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Every campaign I start recently the dwarves just kick the ever loving poo poo out of the greenskins on all fronts by turn 30-40, dwarves always have the highest settlement count in every game so far, using the improved army composition and tier 4 settlement mods that could effect it.

Any mods out that give the greenskins a fighting chance? would no confederations help them or hurt them?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
so wait each starting elf town is a separate province?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
They're all seperate provinces and they all have the full ten building slots which can be pretty awesome.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Elves have the best implementation of provinces in the entire game.

Glorious, glorious arsehole elves. :allears:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
When can i play as snooty french horse lovers?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If I want to have Durthu as a lord while playing Orion, I have to confederate durthu's faction, right? Can't just conquer them>?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

If I want to have Durthu as a lord while playing Orion, I have to confederate durthu's faction, right? Can't just conquer them>?

Yes that's right

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Panfilo posted:

In about a month

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Panfilo posted:

Next month.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

How do I confederate as the elves? The only option I saw was for vassalization. Do I need a building unlocked?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Excelsiortothemax posted:

How do I confederate as the elves? The only option I saw was for vassalization. Do I need a building unlocked?

apparently you gotta have tree at level 3.Confused me too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wow, so Wurrzagg's campaign is kind of awesome in a single doomstack way. Watching a unit of twelve surviving savage orcs put three hundred big 'uns and boys to flight while millions of arrows peppered them as they fled was something.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, so is there any reason with elves vs. non-elfs to not first raze, then seed? It doesn't even take a turn.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ok, so is there any reason with elves vs. non-elfs to not first raze, then seed? It doesn't even take a turn.

Mainly that if you raze and seed you are forced to endure 2-3 turns of casualty replacement and you get your desired building 1 turn slower.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Zudgemud posted:

Mainly that if you raze and seed you are forced to endure 2-3 turns of casualty replacement and you get your desired building 1 turn slower.

On the other hand if you are conquering other regions in a province and have the replenishment building already in the province and the +Replenishment blue skill on your hero, it's only 1 turn worth of replenishment in exchange for ~20K cash. It's almost always a good deal unless you are expecting a counter attack that turn.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
This is probably old news but are Dwarves fun to play in Campaigns (both starts)? I admit that they look fun as hell from a gunline/infantry perspective but I am wondering if their roster being nearly completely bereft of fast options would make it quite frustrating with some factions.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

SkySteak posted:

This is probably old news but are Dwarves fun to play in Campaigns (both starts)? I admit that they look fun as hell from a gunline/infantry perspective but I am wondering if their roster being nearly completely bereft of fast options would make it quite frustrating with some factions.

The trick is to have more arty than the AI army. That way they'll come to you and you don't have to slog your way across no mans land.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

This is literally retarded.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Carcer posted:

This is literally retarded.

It's Middenland, man. Where the belligerent, stupid assholes of the Empire congregate.

Makes total sense.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Wow the hangman's going to be busy there

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'd buy it if anyone else other than the orcs had invited them in, or if they'd just independently attacked me. Hell, I'd buy it in reverse, but not orcs asking middenland to help them fight.

E: And now bordaleaux has jumped in on middelands side.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 15, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This is still my favorite "Uuuh what" screenshot I've taken.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Total War: Warhammer - We let the intern negotiate peace

• Locked thread