Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Pro has:

Faster processor
Better cameras
Brighter display (and less glare?) and that color shifting thing (True Tone or something?)
Four stereo speakers
The smart connector thing on the side.

Afaik they're both the same exact size, weight, resolution, and have the same amount of RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Cases are not interchangeable though. The magnets changed places and the camera bump on the Pro means things designed for the Pro will only work with the Pro and things designed for the Air will only work with the Air. If that matters to you at all.

For what it's worth, I didn't see a reason to update from my Air 2 to the Pro, I absolutely love my Air 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Air2 is peak iPad and the only thing holding it back is ios

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Pro has:

Faster processor
Better cameras
Brighter display (and less glare?) and that color shifting thing (True Tone or something?)
Four stereo speakers
The smart connector thing on the side.

Afaik they're both the same exact size, weight, resolution, and have the same amount of RAM.

Sold. The speakers on the Pro that I have now are awesome compared to my old Air 2.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Are any of the Black Friday deals for the 9.7" pro better than normal Amazon pricing? Seeing $699 + some sort of Apple gift card directly from Apple for the 128GB model.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Best Buy has them for $125 off, so $575 for that model. (Assuming there are any in stock - it's in-store only, apparently)

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Target has them for $550 and I was able to order it online earlier this morning. If it says you can't buy it online check back later because it said the same thing a few hours before I was able to order mine.

$550 for the 128 GB model. I believe the 32 is $450.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Any good deals on the 9.7 keyboard cover from Apple? I'm not finding anything more than 10-20$ off.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Air2 is peak iPad and the only thing holding it back is ios
What do you mean? I'm thinking of upgrading my Air and I think I might as well get the Air 2 as the 9.7 doesn't seem to have anything I need that the Air 2 doesn't have.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xabi posted:

What do you mean? I'm thinking of upgrading my Air and I think I might as well get the Air 2 as the 9.7 doesn't seem to have anything I need that the Air 2 doesn't have.

I think he's just saying it's held back by limitations inherent to iOS and a more flexible OS would make it even better.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Xabi posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading my Air and I think I might as well get the Air 2 as the 9.7 doesn't seem to have anything I need that the Air 2 doesn't have.

This is a pro idea. I did exactly this, and it was a amazing how much better the Air 2 is compared to the Air 1. I was about ready to throw away my original Air from all he issues I was having with it. And after using the Pro, none of my daily uses seem to be noticeably better vs my Air 2, and since I don't draw, I have no plans to get rid of my Air 2.

Air 2 for life.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Endless Mike posted:

I think he's just saying it's held back by limitations inherent to iOS and a more flexible OS would make it even better.

Yep

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

That's exactly what I wanted 2 hear.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Yes, STEM. I've started looking at airs, thanks.

If you haven't bought one already, I might actually steer you toward a discount or refurb 9.7" Pro if you can find it.

I know a few people who switched from older iPads for Pencil support in PDF markup software and MS OneNote and they swear by the difference over other styluses.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So there's been an update at some point to the YouTube app where partway into a video, suggested videos will appear on top of the one you're watching taking up like 1/6th of the screen. Neither swiping nor long-pressing the suggested video box will get rid of it. Anyone know how to remove this?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Buy ProTube

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Does ProTube have an "open in ProTube" share sheet extension and can it load 60fps videos?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I would, except I like YouTube's feature of being able to spit video up to the YouTube app on my TV. If ProTube is able to do the same thing (I assume Google wouldn't allow that) then I'm all in.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Is anyone having rotation bugs on an iPad Air 2 on the latest os? It gets stuck on landscape even with the lock off.

I'm also having an issue where I can't hit send in iMessage on certain screens, mainly with the emoji picker open.

How do I report this to apple? Can anybody replicate the iMessage bug in particular?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Question Mark Mound posted:

I would, except I like YouTube's feature of being able to spit video up to the YouTube app on my TV. If ProTube is able to do the same thing (I assume Google wouldn't allow that) then I'm all in.

It has Chromecast/GoogleCast. Any app can, it's a free-to-use API that doesn't require Google authorization to use.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Craptacular! posted:

It has Chromecast/GoogleCast. Any app can, it's a free-to-use API that doesn't require Google authorization to use.
I'll see if my TV supports that then without having to buy a Chromecast device (no spare HDMI ports in the back sadly).

Incidentally, Infuse just released version 5 of their app as a separate download and I'm not entirely sure what's new in this one.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

SaturdayKnight posted:

Air 2 for life.
I followed through and thus far I concur.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
This is probably a dumb question, but if I buy an iPad in the US and take it back to the UK, can I just buy a UK charging brick and charge it without issue?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jeherrin posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but if I buy an iPad in the US and take it back to the UK, can I just buy a UK charging brick and charge it without issue?

You don't even need to buy a new brick, just the actual plug part. If you know anyone in the UK who's owned MacBooks over the years, they probably have tons lying around!

this part

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

You don't even need to buy a new brick, just the actual plug part. If you know anyone in the UK who's owned MacBooks over the years, they probably have tons lying around!

this part

Ah! Neat! I have a couple of those. Thanks very much.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is it physically possible for the pencil to simulate the angle of a pen? It works excellently with shading which is why I'm asking. I've tried out a few learn calligraphy apps and they require you to set the angle of the stroke you want to use manually, I don't know if that's because they haven't been updated though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The pencil does register the angle the tip is held to the screen. But the app itself needs to be programed to actually use that data.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

flosofl posted:

The pencil does register the angle the tip is held to the screen. But the app itself needs to be programed to actually use that data.

That works on the 'vertical' angle, but it would with calligraphy it's a bit different. If you imagine a flat edged pen that's aligned with the left margin that would be at 0 degrees, if it was horizontal it would be 90 degrees and it could be at anything between the two.

I know the pencil is a point not a line but I thought there might be a way to simulate that effect for drawing letters.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Sri.Theo posted:

That works on the 'vertical' angle, but it would with calligraphy it's a bit different. If you imagine a flat edged pen that's aligned with the left margin that would be at 0 degrees, if it was horizontal it would be 90 degrees and it could be at anything between the two.

I know the pencil is a point not a line but I thought there might be a way to simulate that effect for drawing letters.

Yes, it works in Procreate at least:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkrj4UTHq-s

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

New to iOS from Android, and I accidentally clicked something in the YouTube app (a little youtube.com link in the upper right corner) that makes iOS open YouTube links in Safari now rather than the app. How do I fix that so they go back to opening in the app?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

New to iOS from Android, and I accidentally clicked something in the YouTube app (a little youtube.com link in the upper right corner) that makes iOS open YouTube links in Safari now rather than the app. How do I fix that so they go back to opening in the app?

This might help. I haven't had the issue, but I found this via Google:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AlienBlue/comments/5f37cr/youtube_videos_opening_in_safari_instead_of/dahjde0/

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

That did it, thanks! Every link I could find googling was asking how to do it the other way around and open links in Safari, which was no help.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone want a lightly used Logitech Create keyboard case for an iPad Pro 12.9? $50 shipped in the US?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How do I get my iPad Pro to display 16:9 on a 1080p tv using the hdmi dongle lightening tongle? It seems to display only in 43.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I've been wanting to use a tablet for idle drawing but can't afford an actual drawing tablet so I've been thinking of using my ipad mini for drawing instead.

Is there an app on ipads that lets me use multiple layers and also import pictures into layers like in photoshop? I also need to get a stylus that has a fine point and doesn't cost a ton. I have a pretty small budget, as in $50. What are my best options for under $50?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There's no perfect option for you with an iPad Mini. The screen is too small and styluses too limited.

You could look at a Jot stylus or the Paper Pencil. I think the Paper Pencil has decent palm rejection when paired with their app. And they're heavily discounted now on Amazon.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Jeherrin posted:

this part

I was in the UK a few weeks back and borrowed a friend's official Apple USB wall charger for my phone and god drat the build quality of that felt amazing. It seriously felt bulletproof and would probably hurt like stepping on 100 Lego pieces.

Compared with this piece of poo poo that gets bent and the rods fall off if you look at it wrong or god forbid you threw it in a bag pocket with something else in it:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Krispy Kareem posted:

There's no perfect option for you with an iPad Mini. The screen is too small and styluses too limited.

You could look at a Jot stylus or the Paper Pencil. I think the Paper Pencil has decent palm rejection when paired with their app. And they're heavily discounted now on Amazon.

What about one of these?
http://www.lg.com/us/tablets/lg-VK700-Verizon-g-pad-10.1-lte
I have one of these as well, do you know of any good stylus for this? Or should I ask in a different thread since it isn't an ipad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if an Android would be a better option or not. It's got all the same disadvantages including more limited app selections.

Although an older Note tablet might be good. The ones that come with a stylus. I think Samsung made at least 2 or 3 generations of Note tablets.