Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Samuel Clemens posted:

Regarding the Super Metroid race, I think it was also hurt by being a 100% run. That category is almost twice as long as any% but doesn't show all that many unique tricks, so you have a similar amount of content stretched over a much longer period of time. The fact that almost 10% of the run is spent watching the item pickup screen certainly doesn't help either.
Yeah, one of them mentioned that the time you're stuck in place while the item fanfare plays adds up to a whole 11 minutes in the 100% run - and you can really feel it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That and you're a lot less likely to die in 100% kills some of the suspense, too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's really saying something that a sideways romhack of Super Metroid ended up being a more interesting run than a big race between the best runners in the SM community, but there you go.

There were a ton of really amazing and excellent races this GDQ, and the SUPER E-SPORTS EDITION of the SM race from a couple years back set the bar extremely high for further races... If SM can raise $800k in its own right, they really have to step up their poo poo to make it worthwhile.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq14/
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq15/
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq16/
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq17/

The donation track this year was pretty interesting, really went nuts the last day. They raised almost as much as all of last year on Saturday alone.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq14/
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq15/
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq16/
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq17/

The donation track this year was pretty interesting, really went nuts the last day. They raised almost as much as all of last year on Saturday alone.

the minimum viewers for this year were generally above the maximum viewers from three years ago. shows just how much this thing has grown.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pakled posted:

That and you're a lot less likely to die in 100% kills some of the suspense, too.

The high risk of dying in any% definitely adds a lot to the suspense because it means that even a comfortable lead doesn't guarantee victory. Last SDGQ was a good example of that. Whereas this time around, the rankings were more or less known about half an hour before the actual end.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if the SM race became a rarer occurence. It's an incredibly fun game to watch, but it does get a bit stale when you see it every six months, especially since radical route changes are rather unlikely by this point. I think this is also part of the reason the commentary felt so lacklustre; the couch seemed to assume that everyone was already familiar with the most important speedrunning tricks from previous events, so a lot of moments that would be very impressive if you've never seen them before went by without much notice.

Then again, the race still draws in a huge number of donations and a large crowd, so clearly not everyone is as tired of it as I am.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Samuel Clemens posted:

The high risk of dying in any% definitely adds a lot to the suspense because it means that even a comfortable lead doesn't guarantee victory. Last SDGQ was a good example of that. Whereas this time around, the rankings were more or less known about half an hour before the actual end.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if the SM race became a rarer occurence. It's an incredibly fun game to watch, but it does get a bit stale when you see it every six months, especially since radical route changes are rather unlikely by this point. I think this is also part of the reason the commentary felt so lacklustre; the couch seemed to assume that everyone was already familiar with the most important speedrunning tricks from previous events, so a lot of moments that would be very impressive if you've never seen them before went by without much notice.

Then again, the race still draws in a huge number of donations and a large crowd, so clearly not everyone is as tired of it as I am.

I'm fine with it too, but 100% doesn't lend itself to a race format. A solo run, sure, but not a race. Commentary this year was crap, with AGDQ 2014 being the pinnacle of it for the SM race. If they do a shorter route, like any% or RBO, it's good because there's a lot more danger involved. Once Phantoon is cleared in 100%, it's effectively a safe run, at least in my observations (not a runner).

Speaking of that run, did Bus Guy take his lumps and slink off into the darkness and not make a pastebin?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

axeil posted:

the minimum viewers for this year were generally above the maximum viewers from three years ago. shows just how much this thing has grown.

Yeah I remember a few years ago when twitch offered to donate if the viewers ever got above 100k, which they got to by the end of the week.

Every year I wonder how much bigger this event can get and every year it gets better. I'm honestly surprised that Mike and Romscout and everyone else involved with production has been able to keep everything on such a great positive track, running an event like AGDQ/SGDQ is a uniquely challenging task.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Did anyone set any records or PBs this year?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fat and Useless posted:

AGDQ did with money raised!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Quick run, but not mentioned a lot: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/113837699?t=14h42m31s
Addams Family. No real cool glitches, just 1 skip, then some amazing as hell play. Cant get hit the entire run.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Fat and Useless posted:

There were a few. I think there were two WRs, Rocky & Bullwinkle and another but I can't remember the game, and one of the co-op runs resulted in a PB.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fat and Useless posted:

Fortified Zone

"Oh it's a world record"

:geno: "cool"

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Fat and Useless posted:

I believe a WR was set for Little Samson.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

One of the Link to the Past runners was the current world record holder, and he beat everyone's PB except his own.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fat and Useless posted:

In addition to the ones already mentioned, A Nightmare on Elm Street was a world record, and Dragon's Lair was a PB.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I knew about(and forgot) the samson and zelda race stomping. Time to start the others. Thanks all.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Adventure Island 2 was also a PB.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Is there a link to this year's La-Mulana remake run?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Watching the metroid race now and how did that end up with such a subdued commentator? There's so many amazing people that could've commentated that race and a couch full of super tired sounding people say random stuff every minute or so instead.

At least the crowd was cheering for a while.

canoshiz posted:

All the VODs are on reddit's speedrun channel, just search for agdq Reddit vods. They'll also all be up on YouTube pretty soon.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

"I'm gonna shoot Lance. It drops the helicopter faster. ... you can kill him about four times in this run."

Loving the Vice City run. Glitches are great, the runner is doing a great job explaining them and the couch gives an excellent straight man - commentary. He even talks about the radio stations and the history of GTA too.

*Tommy dropkicks a pedestrian off a motorbike like a lucha libre wrestler* "And remember, he can't swim!"

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 15, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the team diddy runner for DKC 1 set a PB as well?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Since no one else has mentioned it, I'll give another recommendation for Human: Fall Flat. A short and quite unique game with skilled runner and decent comments. :tutbutt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmgYFEgRpkU&t=340s

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 15, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Are the YouTube videos quiet for anyone else?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Nihilarian posted:

Are the YouTube videos quiet for anyone else?
They are quiet but UA usually gets a better version up later on after he gets some rest

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rocky & Bullwinkle had the best couch interaction and jokes and some HEY, BROSSENTIA to top it off.

"You can get dead by onomatopoeia here!"

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TeaJay posted:

"I'm gonna shoot Lance. It drops the helicopter faster. ... you can kill him about four times in this run."

Loving the Vice City run. Glitches are great, the runner is doing a great job explaining them and the couch gives an excellent straight man - commentary. He even talks about the radio stations and the history of GTA too.

*Tommy dropkicks a pedestrian off a motorbike like a lucha libre wrestler* "And remember, he can't swim!"

Yeah that run was amazing. And he does something that is very useful and describe what got skipped, as it been years since I played Vice City, but the quick summary instantly gets me thinking "oh this mission, hate this one". Which makes him beating it so quickly even better.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Is there a master list somewhere of all the good runs from this and all prior GDQs? Gotta keep scratching that speed running itch.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Athanatos posted:

Quick run, but not mentioned a lot: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/113837699?t=14h42m31s
Addams Family. No real cool glitches, just 1 skip, then some amazing as hell play. Cant get hit the entire run.

Oh man, I forgot about that one. It's quick, but if you've ever tried the game, you know exactly how amazing this run is. It's an EXTREMELY difficult game, probably the best game that Ocean ever made (in the early to mid 90s they were the king of licensed movie games, for better or for worse), and is probably one of the most potentially complex platformers from the 16 bit era. And this guy just flies through it almost effortlessly.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

axeil posted:

Is there a master list somewhere of all the good runs from this and all prior GDQs? Gotta keep scratching that speed running itch.

There's way too many to list & remember all, but here are some of my favourite runs from past GDQ's I've had fun re-watching. My recommendations from this AGDQ are on the last few pages, and the 2nd post has a bigger list that will be updated shortly.

SGDQ 2015 Prince of Persia : Sands of Time by Henneko - everything goes wrong but he's just so happy throughout the whole thing it's great fun to watch. #hugsforhenneko
SGDQ 2015 Star Tropics by zodastone: I love this game, and this run has some really chill & entertaining commentary all around
SGDQ 2015 Ecco: Tides of time by Dolfinh: Solid run, TAS strats, blueglass on commentary (!) although he realizes he's mic'd only halfway through...

(wow, SGDQ 2015 had some solid runs)

AGDQ 2016: Lagoon by PJ: Team Poor Life Choices on the couch, an awesome bad game, one of the best runs of GDQ's I've ever seen
SGDQ 2016: Super Metroid race: this was way better than the race of this AGDQ.

These just off the top of my head now.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 16, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TeaJay posted:

There's way too many to list & remember all, but here are some of my favourite runs from past GDQ's I've had fun re-watching. My recommendations from this AGDQ are on the last few pages, and the 2nd post has a bigger list that will be updated shortly.

SGDQ 2015 Prince of Persia : Sands of Time by Henneko - everything goes wrong but he's just so happy throughout the whole thing it's great fun to watch. #hugsforhenneko
SGDQ 2015 Star Tropics by zodastone: I love this game, and this run has some really chill & entertaining commentary all around
SGDQ 2015 Ecco: Tides of time by Dolfinh: Solid run, TAS strats, blueglass on commentary (!) although he realizes he's mic'd only halfway through...

(wow, SGDQ 2015 had some solid runs)

AGDQ 2016: Lagoon by PJ: Team Poor Life Choices on the couch, an awesome bad game, one of the best runs of GDQ's I've ever seen
SGDQ 2016: Super Metroid race: this was way better than the race of this AGDQ.

These just off the top of my head now.

i'm watching the infamous bonesaw trainwreck and i'm loving it so far. i'm about half an hour in and it looks...normal? so far. hoping things get crazier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RylQGkoZpSE

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh it will, just keep going.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

axeil posted:

i'm watching the infamous bonesaw trainwreck and i'm loving it so far. i'm about half an hour in and it looks...normal? so far. hoping things get crazier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RylQGkoZpSE

I had an unpopular opinion in the other thread that the run in question wasn't as funny as a re-watch as others said, but your mileage may vary. (it was a great live experience, though.)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TeaJay posted:

I had an unpopular opinion in the other thread that the run in question wasn't as funny as a re-watch as others said, but your mileage may vary. (it was a great live experience, though.)

i just got to the air canada call-out. it was hilarious. totally understand why he can't submit for a year but this is really entertaining.

also the screaming being about finding your missing keys was great.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

canoshiz posted:

I had to fix the video on my laptop and somehow managed to forget to upload it after I fixed it. It should be live on YouTube later tonight if I can shove it through the hotel wi-fi (tech station is torn down so we don't have the good connection any more).

Edit: Should be up here soonish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-H1Ghpxlls

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 16, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I kind of like the idea of keeping metroid races at AGDQ, and then let SGDQ try out new races that can run a donation incentive. Hug goat/Shun goat and an Undertale race or maybe even just a hacked metroid race (that sideways run was legit). Metroid races are kind of tradition at this point and will always be a part of AGDQ but it might not hurt to try something else out at the mid year event.

Minera fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 16, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i wanna see a gdq that doesn't do kill/save the animals just to see how many donation comments they get that still try to vote for one

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

catching up on runs I missed-- it's been mentioned in here already I'm sure but the Shovel Knight race was really good! the race starts with a relatively considerable lead but it gradually closes and even changes hands a few times, then the runs end within seconds of each other. racers are really polite and friendly and the commentator is pretty knowledgeable and keeps things going at a decent clip.

an enjoyable watch :)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Maybe the Super Metroid race next time should be done with TASBots. That'd be an interesting twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That or SGDQ has the big Super Metroid race be with Rotation. I would say Randomizer, but honestly that won't work in a speed run.

• Locked thread