Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons

other people posted:

I am not strong with mikrotik specially but it sounds like both wireless APs are part of the same broadcast domain and that multicast between them works ( I assume chromecast is using multicast to locate devices). That's all good.

Is there some leftover firewall policy on the hAP device getting in the way?

Have you tried casting from a google app/stream and not the plex? Maybe there is some plex-specific issue.

Otherwise I would just packet capture to see what is actually going on and/or find the chrome casting specifications so you can understand exactly what is supposed to happen and then just step through it.

Thanks for the comments.

It seems that IPv6 was the problem. The hAP was giving the Chromecast an IPv6 address, I disabled IPv6 and since then it's been working fine. Not sure if this is an obvious thing I should have checked, but putting it here on the off chance it ever helps someone else...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Muga posted:

Thanks for the comments.

It seems that IPv6 was the problem. The hAP was giving the Chromecast an IPv6 address, I disabled IPv6 and since then it's been working fine. Not sure if this is an obvious thing I should have checked, but putting it here on the off chance it ever helps someone else...

IPv6 takes a bunch of configuration on Mikrotiks right now. I finally got mine working but it took a bunch of trial and error and you definitely need a good set of !Pv6 firewall rules. If you look earlier in the thread you can find these scripts.

Or just turn it off.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does anyone else have a hAP AC? Mine idles at 59C and I can't believe this is normal.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

thebigcow posted:

Does anyone else have a hAP AC? Mine idles at 59C and I can't believe this is normal.

I don't have one but I have installed a few and from what I remember yeah they run hot.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
News release!

http://download2.mikrotik.com/news/news_74.pdf

Got any old satellite dishes laying around? How about outdoor wireless

quote:

The LDF (Lite Dish Feed) is an outdoor wireless system
with a built in antenna, meant to be installed on satellite
offset dish antennas. The dish will act as a reflector,
amplifying the signal.
https://routerboard.com/RBLDF-5nD

They removed the switch chip on the CCR 1009's in favor of letting the interfaces have full CPU usage/ ( explains why I haven't been able to get any lately)

They're adding TR-069 CPE management support :swoon:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone know if the SFP+ cages on CCR1009/CCR1016-12S-1S+ and such have enough power to light long distance single mode fiber? Like in-port LR/ER/ZR SFP+ adapters?

We're getting incredibly pricing from our optics vendor due to end of the year, so we're trying to ditch our transceiver boxes and just go with in-port optics for a few long 10Gb fiber hops.

IE: currently we have direct attach from SFP+ ports in Mikrotik to an Omnitron transceiver box, which then lights the XFP LR/ER/XR ranged adapters/optics that do the actual distance shot. If we can get rid of the Omnitron boxes we'll save a ton of money.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does your vendor list a power draw for their modules?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

thebigcow posted:

Does your vendor list a power draw for their modules?

These are Juniper optics, so probably.

edit - Nevermind, we figured it out.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 21, 2016

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
So..............................is it going to work out for you?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
All of the places that we're ending a fiber shot to a Mikrotik will actually end at a transceiver box first before then direct attaching to the Mikrotik SFP+ cage.

So it is a moot point now, we no longer need to power fiber long shots with SFP+ cages.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

thebigcow posted:

Yeah, that seems pretty high. My hAP AC idles at 47C. Not sure what it is under load, but I can quickly find out by downloading/uploading large files on a 100/100 FiOS connection. :discourse:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Yeah, that seems pretty high. My hAP AC idles at 47C. Not sure what it is under load, but I can quickly find out by downloading/uploading large files on a 100/100 FiOS connection. :discourse:

Normis said it was normal

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?p=572580#p572599

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

This is the longest I have for 10gig. All sites are using BiDi optics.

code:
> interface ethernet monitor sfp-sfpplus1
                      name: sfp-sfpplus1
          auto-negotiation: done
                      rate: 10Gbps
               full-duplex: yes
           tx-flow-control: no
           rx-flow-control: no
               advertising:
  link-partner-advertising:
        sfp-module-present: yes
               sfp-rx-lose: no
              sfp-tx-fault: no
                  sfp-type: SFP-or-SFP+
        sfp-connector-type: LC
       sfp-link-length-9um: 40000m
           sfp-vendor-name: CHAMPION ONE
    sfp-vendor-part-number: 10GSFP+E33B60L2H
       sfp-vendor-revision: 01.0
    sfp-manufacturing-date: 15-11-17
            sfp-wavelength: 1330nm
           sfp-temperature: 38C
        sfp-supply-voltage: 3.344V
       sfp-tx-bias-current: 37mA
              sfp-tx-power: 2.529dBm
              sfp-rx-power: -19.505dBm

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Happy New Year folks. I don't work with MikroTik stuff anymore and hardly post here at all these days. If you want to start up a new thread, be my guest.

Thanks for the folks contributing and especially for that link about the LDF. That's a sweet way to repurpose old satellite gear.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

CuddleChunks posted:

Happy New Year folks. I don't work with MikroTik stuff anymore and hardly post here at all these days. If you want to start up a new thread, be my guest.

Thanks for the folks contributing and especially for that link about the LDF. That's a sweet way to repurpose old satellite gear.

This thread is still pretty good for reference and discussion. Keep it going, duder.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I still work with Mikrotiks daily at my job, however I just know the moment I leave it I will most likely never professionally touch another one for any other job.

It is very nice though to be able to recommend cheap good networking gear for something that I would personally manage (my wife's small business network, for example) and have it work well without paying an arm and a leg. Thanks Mikrotik!

Edit - Of course I feel bad for anyone trying to inherit any Mikrotik network that I set up and being like "what the gently caress is this software on this stuff?" - especially since I lock down all ports / services besides just Winbox.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 8, 2017

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

Edit - Of course I feel bad for anyone trying to inherit any Mikrotik network that I set up and being like "what the gently caress is this software on this stuff?" - especially since I lock down all ports / services besides just Winbox.

This happened to my successor at my last job, even though it was all documented and had winbox+ssh access he couldn't figure it out and ended up doing a factory reset.

Pretty sure phones and stuff were down for days because he had no idea how to get the IPSec tunnels configured again

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Zennik - sure, I'm glad folks are still finding it useful.

theperminator - hahah at my last job I got a call from some folks that they couldn't connect to the network and could we please help them out right away. Then, I get a call from the tech they had hired to install their new Internet service. He didn't understand the setup, didn't bother to call the people who setup and maintained it and just hit reset on the main router. "You need to give them a new router because this one doesn't work." Uh, you reset it yourself dude, not us. "Don't you supply these?" Dude, YOU reset their router. YOU, not us.

Good times.

Even better times not doing that stuff anymore. Heh.

On the other hand I'm *this* close to buying some more MikroTik and Ubiquiti gear because it's cheap as poo poo and will get the job done for a little install I have planned. It's nice to know it's out there and how easy it is to set up.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I put a sticker over reset holes now, as a matter of policy.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

I put a sticker over reset holes now, as a matter of policy.

Haha good idea.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Nothing like a good Latvian software release of the stable branch for the new year!

Hope you read the release notes for the following gem (and then search the forums for horror stories).

What's new in 6.38 (2016-Dec-30 11:33):

Important note!!!
RouterOS v6.38 contains STP/RSTP changes which makes bridges compatible with IEEE 802.1Q-2014 by sending and processing BPDU packets without VLAN tag.
To avoid STP/RSTP compatibility issues with older RouterOS versions, upgrade RouterOS to v6.38 on all routers in Layer2 networks with VLAN and STP/RSTP configurations.
The recommended procedure is to start by upgrading the remotest routers and gradually do it to the Root Bridge device.
If after upgrade you experience loss of connectivity, then disabling STP/RSTP on RouterOS bridge interface will restore connectivity so you can complete upgrade process on your network.

(...pages of additional changes...)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah I usually don't touch a non x.x.0 release anyhow, but holy gently caress I am glad I didn't touch this one.

I really don't need ALL of my vlans hosed up, thanks. It looks like I'll be on 6.37.3 for a while.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've got something I'm hoping you all can help me with here. I'm fairly new to the Mikrotik world with most of my experience being with Cisco. Like many of you I work for a WISP.

In this situation I have a specific client that's seeing bandwidth overages and I had someone offer for us to take a look at where their data is going over the course of several days. We do not have any external appliances which would be able to track this- the tracking will have to be done in Mikrotik. My boss in under the impression that I can use torch but I'm not really seeing how this is possible given that it seem built to monitor traffic in realtime, given the max one hour timeout. The other options I see are using the sniffer tool to do a PCAP or traffic flow. The former creates files that are too large to maintain the pcap for more than an hour or so and I'm not personally familiar with how I would track bandwidth usage from a PCAP. I'm understanding traffic flow to basically be Netflow so with an external sever of some sort it seems like it may do the trick but would be a headache for a few reasons due to how we're set up.

How would you all deal with a similar request?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Export netflow to an analyzer box (like ntopng).

http://www.ntop.org/ntopng/how-to-analyse-mikrotik-traffic-using-ntopng/

nprobe lifetime license is like $200 iirc.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I used to work a lot with these little things a few years ago and just haven't done any work with the, or networking at all really since a career change. I've had my RB2011 for some time and I haven't had a reason to touch it but alas, here I am wanting to forward a port and I'm too dumb now to do it but for a reason I can't explain. I think I have the NAT rule setup right except that I can't modify the dst port property in that rule:

(Ignore the to-ports value there. I was messing around with stuff and forgot to change it for the screencap)

Maybe I just forgot a step or something in port forwarding since my knowledge has regressed so much. Long story short, I want traffic from port 2626 to get forwarded to my computer on the network. Abstract goal: I want direct connect on Dolphin to work.

jaxercracks
Oct 12, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I used to work a lot with these little things a few years ago and just haven't done any work with the, or networking at all really since a career change. I've had my RB2011 for some time and I haven't had a reason to touch it but alas, here I am wanting to forward a port and I'm too dumb now to do it but for a reason I can't explain. I think I have the NAT rule setup right except that I can't modify the dst port property in that rule:

(Ignore the to-ports value there. I was messing around with stuff and forgot to change it for the screencap)

Maybe I just forgot a step or something in port forwarding since my knowledge has regressed so much. Long story short, I want traffic from port 2626 to get forwarded to my computer on the network. Abstract goal: I want direct connect on Dolphin to work.

I think maybe this is just winbox being weird. I just tested it and it behaved the same way. Seems to let me do it via the web interface though. Try that or command line.

Command line example:

code:
/ip firewall nat add chain=dstnat dst-port=1234 action=dst-nat protocol=tcp to-address=192.168.1.1 to-port=1234

jaxercracks fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 15, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't you need to tick the box next to "Protocol"?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't you need to tick the box next to "Protocol"?

The box is for 'NOT', so ticking it next to the protocol setting would mean "anything but the selected protocol".

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
See how it acts in /webfig/ to confirm if its a Winbox bug.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Turns out it is just a bug in Winbox. If you switch the protocol to something else and then back to TCP, you can edit the port fields again.

I tried out /webfig/ as well, but left-clicking on objects in the Firewall and NAT menus doesn't work either for mystery reasons (everything else works).

Either way, mystery solved. Change the protocols and stuff works again!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Bugfix track went from 6.36.4 to 6.37.4

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

thebigcow posted:

Bugfix track went from 6.36.4 to 6.37.4

Wow, bravo Mikrotik!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
If I scroll down it lists changes for 6.37.3 from last November but at least as of last week I never saw that offered in RouterOS.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Has anyone else encountered the issue with WinBox 3.9 crashing upon closing every single time? Not sure if there's a fix for that aside from waiting until the next version.

Additionally, when it comes to creating a firewall rule, is there a way to specify multiple destination addresses for one rule? I had previously entered a range (ex. 192.168.88.49-192.168.88.50), but that doesn't seem to work well. It seems like the MikroTik firewall doesn't know how to revert to .49 should .50 ever become unavailable (but I imagine that's because I'm using a "range" and not a wildcard or separate individual addresses.) It seems like my only option is to have two copies of the same rule but with different destination addresses in each rule? Seems counter-intuitive.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I haven't had Winbox crash but I do get somewhat random disconnects.

You could make an address list and point the firewall rule at that, but your range should work. Can you post the rule and what you're trying to do with it? What is breaking?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

thebigcow posted:

I haven't had Winbox crash but I do get somewhat random disconnects.

You could make an address list and point the firewall rule at that, but your range should work. Can you post the rule and what you're trying to do with it? What is breaking?

I have one firewall filter rule in place that looks like this:

code:
add action=accept chain=forward comment="Allow HTTPS/RWW (TCP)" connection-state=new dst-address=192.168.88.49-192.168.88.50 dst-port=\
    443,4125 in-interface=ether1 log=yes protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn,!ack
and one firewall NAT rule like so:

code:
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="HTTPS/RWW (TCP)" dst-port=443,4125 in-interface=ether1 log=yes protocol=tcp src-address=\
    !192.168.88.0/24 to-addresses=192.168.88.49-192.168.88.50
So I have an IP range specified (.49-.50). The server this points to has two Ethernet controllers (one controller uses .49, the other .50 as static DHCP entries in the MikroTik.) I've since changed the server so that one Ethernet controller is disconnected leaving the other controller (192.168.88.49) as the only active one. All traffic in/out goes to this single controller now which is on .49. The problem I'm seeing is if I leave the firewall filter and NAT rule above in place and unchanged, the connection is blocked coming in from the outside world. The only way connections are allowed through is if I modify both entries to be 192.168.88.49 and not 192.168.88.49-192.168.88.50. I'm guessing this is by design when it comes to the MikroTik firewall? Is building an address list my only way out of this if I want to use both IP addresses?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you trying to NAT to two destination addresses?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

This NAT rule doesn't make sense to me. If you are trying to direct external traffic to two internal IPs then NAT won't work right. You can map lots of external requests onto a single internal IP with a regular NAT. However, this is a MikroTik so there are weirdass things you can do with Mangle rules that will let you "load balance" between multiple internal IP addresses if you're willing to go to the effort: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=48025 has some suggestions.

Are you trying to make a failover type setup so that if one NIC goes down the other takes over or do you want to round-robin them for load balancing reasons?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

This NAT rule doesn't make sense to me. If you are trying to direct external traffic to two internal IPs then NAT won't work right. You can map lots of external requests onto a single internal IP with a regular NAT. However, this is a MikroTik so there are weirdass things you can do with Mangle rules that will let you "load balance" between multiple internal IP addresses if you're willing to go to the effort: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=48025 has some suggestions.

Are you trying to make a failover type setup so that if one NIC goes down the other takes over or do you want to round-robin them for load balancing reasons?

Honestly, no idea. I think my original intention was to create load-balancing but who knows. I've already realized none of this makes sense which is why I've since changed the server to only use one Ethernet controller and modified the MikroTik to only point to a single LAN IP. I was just more curious to know what the proper procedure would be for something like this. I know internally I've had certain services handling traffic only on one IP, while something like traffic to virtual machines was on the other IP. Would those two rules make sense if I keep them set to only point to 192.168.88.49? Or is there a better way to utilize a filter and NAT rule(s)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Honestly, no idea. I think my original intention was to create load-balancing but who knows. I've already realized none of this makes sense which is why I've since changed the server to only use one Ethernet controller and modified the MikroTik to only point to a single LAN IP. I was just more curious to know what the proper procedure would be for something like this. I know internally I've had certain services handling traffic only on one IP, while something like traffic to virtual machines was on the other IP. Would those two rules make sense if I keep them set to only point to 192.168.88.49? Or is there a better way to utilize a filter and NAT rule(s)?

What you need is Per Connection Classifiers gimme a sec and try to whip up some rules

:edit: here we go, this will determine which one to load balance to depending on the source port of the client which is random:
Updated: changed per-connection-classifier=src-port:1 to per-connection-classifier=src-port:2 so that it actually does something...
code:
/ip firewall nat
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="HTTPS/RWW (TCP)" dst-port=443,4125 in-interface=ether1 log=yes protocol=tcp src-address=\
    !192.168.88.0/24 to-addresses=192.168.88.49 per-connection-classifier=src-port:2/0
    !192.168.88.0/24 to-addresses=192.168.88.50 per-connection-classifier=src-port:2/1

theperminator fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 20, 2017