Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Next best things to dinosaurs and tanks must be cavalry. Took some pics of my French Dragoons, while waiting for a big box of cavalry sprues from Warlord:

Verdict: Perry's French Dragoon box is good.

Really good.

That's £20 for 13 mounted troops, including officer and trumpeteer, 8 dismounted dragoons, and a bunch of casualty models for Brits and French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
God drat those look nice.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So the US Armored Rifle Plt. in CoC,

quote:

Squads 1 & 2
-----------------------
Sgt w/ Rifle
-----------------------
10 Rifles
1 SMG
Option: Two men may be removed from and Squad to form a Bazooka Team

Do\es this mean that I can field 2 Bazooka Teams or or just one? I read it as 2 but idk.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's one bazooka squad that is made up of two men, per squad. So you can have up to two.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Class Warcraft posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for inexpensive kits for ww2 trucks to use alongside 28mm minis? I want to field a motorized German platoon for don't feel like spending 60 bucks on trucks

Rubicon trucks can be had pretty cheap from NWS ONLINE otherwise you're searching for matchbox trucks and I've never been lucky to find stuff like that.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Looking for any goonpinions on my scenario I wrote for a local game day here. It's written for Sharp Practice (ACW).

https://www.scribd.com/document/336309642/Funeral-for-a-Friend

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You have "Union" "Federal" and "Blue" all to refer to the Union troops, with "Rebel" "Confederate" and "Red" for the OpFor. That's just a smidge confusing. If you abstract it out to "red/blue" and don't bother mentioning identifying battles etc that actually looks like a oretty entertaining scenario that could be adapted for any ruleset that has morale rules similar to Sharp Practice's.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Great idea, thanks!

One thing I'm concerned about is blue just stalling and fighting red, then eventually doing the objective - considering giving red a cavalry reinforcement after a certain period of time

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

muggins posted:

Rubicon trucks can be had pretty cheap from NWS ONLINE otherwise you're searching for matchbox trucks and I've never been lucky to find stuff like that.

I saw those, but was hoping someone had a secret cheaper option for trucks. Might just end up going with halftracks instead since its about the same price and they are cooler.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

how well. does Team Yankee play in 6mm.

I'm looking at the scale and figured smaller scale makes more sense than a car park of tanks like I've seen at the games store.

Also. cheaper.

Are there rules for non American/Russian armies? I've found some sweet Australian modern minis. Including near future IFVs.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'd assume the best way to play Team Yankee in 6mm, if ground/figure scale issues make it look wrong in 15mm, would be to just put smaller models on the same bases.

So it should play identically to 15mm TY, and better than 28mm TY.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Gamecraft miniatures makes half size bases and templates that are cheap.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Something something inches as CM. I have a 50 pts TY Soviet army not doing much.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

Next best things to dinosaurs and tanks must be cavalry. Took some pics of my French Dragoons, while waiting for a big box of cavalry sprues from Warlord:

Verdict: Perry's French Dragoon box is good.

Really good.

That's £20 for 13 mounted troops, including officer and trumpeteer, 8 dismounted dragoons, and a bunch of casualty models for Brits and French.

These are beautiful. Fantastic work!

It makes me want to put the Space Marines back down and buy a box of plastic Napoleonic mans.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

These are beautiful. Fantastic work!

It makes me want to put the Space Marines back down and buy a box of plastic Napoleonic mans.

Thanks!

I started with two perry boxes, french infantry and french dragoons, and they were both great kits with tons of uniform-barbies for the price. And those two boxes are enough to get a decent Sharp Practice force.

Now I'm building some Warlord Game plastic Frenchmen, both infantry and one 16-man unit of each cavalry style they had. I'm looking forward to compare them with Perry's dragoons.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

So I'm trying to find a unit that I can build my random assortment of BA Fallschirmjagers, Afrika Korp, and other random German infantry around. The Duel in the Sun rules for the Hermann Goring division in North Africa and Italy are pretty nifty, any veteran unit can be upgraded to fanatic for 3 pts/model, allows extra AA units, ect. I also like that there was an elite fighting force named after the most incompetent man in the Nazi regime.

My concern is - on a scale from 1 to Heinrich Himmler, what would running a HG list rate in terms of wehraboo-ness?

Edit: Also, Ilor, can you show me how you managed this?

Ilor posted:

I think I've posted these before, but these are actually the same tank:

...and...

The first is a Pz III Ausf J and the second is a Pz III Ausf N with schürzen, hull armor reinforcement, and heavy turret mantlet. And I can do pretty much anything in between.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 13, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Class Warcraft posted:

Edit: Also, Ilor, can you show me how you managed this?
Sure!

The Italeri kit is actually really nice in that all of the attachment points for the schurzen have a little detente on the inside of the tank - they're designed to be cut out of you're using the schurzen, but if not, the hull doesn't have a hole. This is handy, because it tells you exactly where you need to drill. I used a pin-vise with a 1/16" bit. Once I'd drilled holes in the appropriate places, I pushed in 1/16" magnets, taking care to both a) make sure the magnets are all facing the same way, and b) that the top of the magnet was flush with the surface of the hull. It helps to push the magnets in from the outside rather than out from the inside. Then, on the inside, I secure the magnet in place with a drop of CA++ glue. Doing this means that once the model is primed and painted, the attachment points are basically invisible (because the hole is the exact size as the magnet, the top of the magnet is flush, and all of the glue is on the inside). When it's done, it looks like this, which is the top deck from the underside:

I also did this for the attachment points for the turret skirt and front hull plating as well.

For the Schurzen themselves, you need to take the little attachment brackets and trim off the piece that would go into the hole if you were attaching it permanently. And actually, you're going to take off a little more. Then, attach your 1/16" magnets to the ends of the brackets, again ensuring that all of the magnets are facing the right direction to mate up with the ones in the hull. This is easy to gently caress up, so be careful. Ultimately, it will look like this:

And for the turret:

And that's basically it. I had to enlarge the hole for the turret mantlet on the Ausf N a little bit because it's designed for the barrel neck to hold it on, but that took only a few moments of careful filing to achieve a good fit that was still removable. The barrels are already swappable. though I'm thinking about making a pin-and-collar system to hold them a little more securely.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Kleinpanther und Grosspanther

The new plastic Tiger 1E is hiding in the back.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Warlord is bringing it:

New kit that makes either a KV1 or KV2 (hopefully with exchangeable turrets), plus damage markers, info cards, and 8 soviet infantry for $32.

https://us-store.warlordgames.com/products/kv1-2-plastic-box-set

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Looks that way:

"Enough plastic components to create one tank body and both complete turret variants (KV-1 turret and KV-2 turret)!"

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
NWS Wargaming Store should be in the OP. For <$40 I got a full CoC US Airborne Platoon of WLG models.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I've just assembled a set of TTcombat townhouse and Ruined townhouse. This has left me with 10 houses in various states of repair and they're perfect for 15mm WWII stuff. Highly recommended due to their very low price! I'll definitely be getting their church and store front sets at a later date for some urban action.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I thought you'd like this Pin on Pinterest... http://pin.it/QJLQrRV

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
You should put a NWS tag on that, though I don't think anybody would report you in here.

But LOL

Ok quick question:

BA's Armies of the United States is based on BA v1 point values yeah? Should I be building my basic squads from the main book then? (Unless i want something fun like rangers or Marines or whatever).

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The point costs on everything should be the same in v2 as in v1, although there are some discrepancies between the army books and the lists in the main rule book where certain options/unit sizes/ect don't line up - either due to errors or because the main rulebook combines certain unit types to save space. For instance, most veteran units just get combined into one generic entry in the rulebook while in the army book they are split up and might have different equipment options.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 13, 2017

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Cool.

Next: I'm having a hard time locating 1:48 afv models. When this was brought up before Rubicon models were mentioned, however they're listing stuff as 1/56. Do they fudge the scale in the heroic direction?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

DiHK posted:

Cool.

Next: I'm having a hard time locating 1:48 afv models. When this was brought up before Rubicon models were mentioned, however they're listing stuff as 1/56. Do they fudge the scale in the heroic direction?

No, they are proper 1/56. IIRC they mention now and then on their Facebook Group that their new equipment makes it easier for them to do prototypes and stuff, and that they are looking into adding a 1/48 range. We'll see. But now it's largely Tamiya for my 1/48 kits, with the occasional ICB or Hobby Boss kit. Which means that it's easy to find German stuff, but harder for most other armed forces.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I'm not sure how this happened

18 british shermans

6 american shermans, 1 Pershing

9 Panzers. and an academy model.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I think you need some Russian Shermans. Just a couple, it'll really round things off.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

EOE Orbis/Black Tree Design is having a 50% off sale on infantry, and they've now added their weapon teams as 50% off as well as a 24 hour flash sale.

Picked up an 88mm AA gun set for $16, hell yeah.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Dammit. They got me again. 2x Comms troops, 1x 57mm AT gun, 1x 60mm mortar, and 1x flamethrower team. Hopefully they don't take as long to arrive as they did last time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Frobbe posted:

I'm not sure how this happened
One of us! One of us!

Those buildings are pretty sweet.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Arquinsiel posted:

One of us! One of us!

Those buildings are pretty sweet.

Yeah, they're the TTcombat ones. easy to assemble and cheap. Perfect for Tanks!

EDIT: Because nobody's replied yet, you get a Panzer IV WiP

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 15, 2017

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm kicking around the idea of Team Yankee in 6mm, and I see that a lot of 1/285 guys have these labels on their bases to help with identifying a unit. I'm having difficulty finding how these were made. Anyone got a lead?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Springfield Fatts posted:

I'm kicking around the idea of Team Yankee in 6mm, and I see that a lot of 1/285 guys have these labels on their bases to help with identifying a unit. I'm having difficulty finding how these were made. Anyone got a lead?

Got a picture?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Like this guy did.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015
Word or Excel and a color printer.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Yeah that's what I'd say too, maybe a coat of matt spray varnish to make it stick permanently.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I would guess printed from a computer and put together in a fairly simple graphics programme.

Certainly you could do it easily in Illustrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Some really excellent examples of 6mm painting techniques got posted in one of the facebook groups I'm a member of.

Finally, a guy who understands how to highlight. I've seen some terrifying examples of THIN YOUR PAINTS in those groups, so this guy is a breath of fresh air.