Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TrixRabbi posted:

I just watched Medium Cool. What are the most powerful political films of the last few years?
Transformers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
About to see La La Land but we got there late so we're literally in the first row :gonk:

I literally don't think I've ever sat in the very first row and really hope I'm not about to break my neck craning it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

They Shoot Zombies films on YouTube, entries 701-800.

Outer Space (702)
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (708): Requires age verification.
Danza macabre (716): In English.
Night of the Dark Full Moon (718): Better known as Silent Night, Bloody Night.
Orlacs Hände (719)
Frankenstein (726)
Hei tai yang 731 (727): Requires age verification. Skip the first 20 seconds.
Grace (729)
Il rosso segno della follia (730): In English.
Bat sin fan dim: Yan yuk cha siu bau (739): Requires age verification.
Dementia 13 (740)
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (741): Requires age verification.
The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog (742)
Hanyo (743)
The Reflecting Skin (744)
Don’t Go in the House (745): Hardcoded French subs.
Hangover Square (748): Hardcoded Spanish subs.
Death Proof (749)
Il tuo vizio è una stanza chiusa e solo io ne ho la chiave (753): Requires age verification.
La Horde (757): In English.
Doghouse (762)
Creepshow 2 (763): Hardcoded Croatian subs.
De Vierde Man (766)
C.H.U.D. (767)
The Kiss of the Vampire (770): Hardcoded Hindi subs and watermarks in the top left and bottom right corner.
Los Cronocrímenes (771): In English.
Madman (779)
Mother’s Day (781): Requires age verification.
Kim Bok-nam Salinsageonui Jeonmal (785)
The Skeleton Dance (787)
A Warning to the Curious (793)
Absentia (798)
Fascination (800)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You're doing great work.

Kinda blows my mind that a lot of these stay up.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Cronocrímenes is the poo poo.

Say, whaddaya call a Vigalondo that isn't yours?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Skeleton Dance was animated primarily by Ub Iwerks, but it was also one of the last films Walt Disney personally animated on (and directed).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 15, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I can picture Young Thug rockin a leather toga.

Hey Dickeye, im reading Worlds of Hurt based on your posts in the cosmic horror thread and its real fuckin good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

I just watched Medium Cool. What are the most powerful political films of the last few years?

Assuming we're just talking narrative film and not documentary, using a rough cutoff of 2005-present, here's 15 in no real order:

Syriana
Sicario
Carlos
Munich
Children of Men
Gomorrah
In the Loop
'71
Heli
A Hijacking
Hunger
Lincoln
Breach
Burn After Reading
Che

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Also, all of The Thick Of It.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Assuming we're just talking narrative film and not documentary, using a rough cutoff of 2005-present, here's 15 in no real order:

Syriana
Sicario
Carlos
Munich
Children of Men
Gomorrah
In the Loop
'71
Heli
A Hijacking
Hunger
Lincoln
Breach
Burn After Reading
Che

Does Good Night and Good Luck fall into that period?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Does Good Night and Good Luck fall into that period?

that was '05 i think, yeah. it's just been too long since ive seen it.

if i had to narrow my list down to one, i think it's hard to oversell how excoriating Munich is.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Speaking of political movies, I watched Wild in the Streets last night and it's pretty wild

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if i had to narrow my list down to one, i think it's hard to oversell how excoriating Munich is.

I rewatched Good Night and Good Luck around election time and it's real good.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Selma is a recent essential political movie.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
13 Hours is actually two and a half hours of Michael Bay screaming "what the gently caress is the point of American imperialism in the Middle East?" while some sick firefights and explosions play in the background. Highly underrated.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

As pointed out in the unofficial first episode of Chapo, the libyans are zombies in 13 Hours

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Budgie Jumping posted:

I was about to post about how I'd never show you people any of the lovely things I've written, but then I realized: I'm doing that just by posting.
:negative:

Dang. How loving real this got...

Budgie Jumping posted:

^^^PKD predicted hipster fashion in Ubik. It's wild.

In this case, absolutely, and probably in general too. But I loving love Michael Mann and James Ellroy, for example, and I know a lot of people in this thread do too, and seems both those guys have some some pretty reactionary views on life.

But they don't especially pretend otherwise. I mean I'd quibble about Mann (he's conservative in some ways but not unreservedly reactionary - his protagonists are almost always criminals and never unsympathetic. And look at his portrayal of libertarian supermen like Tom Cruise in Collateral) but the point is not that reactionaries can't make good art, just that you shouldn't get Trojan horsed by stuff that claims to be or superficially is "apolitical".

Hey Mark Twain and HUNDU I got the subs working on Don't Deliver Us From Evil, it was just cause I was trying to watch it on my phone like a dumbass (both times it's been posted)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

About to see La La Land but we got there late so we're literally in the first row :gonk:

I literally don't think I've ever sat in the very first row and really hope I'm not about to break my neck craning it.

stay for the next showing and get better seats

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
TIL people actually like Rubber (2010)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

As pointed out in the unofficial first episode of Chapo, the libyans are zombies in 13 Hours

It's some shocking filmmaking when they start rising out of the fog and lurching forward.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

Hundu mentioned that It Follows is an extremely feetsy film and I can confirm that Myth of the American Sleepover is as well.

I don't think I realized that it was the same guy. No question, though.

Budgie Jumping posted:

In this case, absolutely, and probably in general too. But I loving love Michael Mann and James Ellroy, for example, and I know a lot of people in this thread do too, and seems both those guys have some some pretty reactionary views on life.

"Apolitical" reactionaries are usually empty vessel types. Ellroy and Mann drat sure aren't apolitical.

DeimosRising posted:

Hey Mark Twain and HUNDU I got the subs working on Don't Deliver Us From Evil, it was just cause I was trying to watch it on my phone like a dumbass (both times it's been posted)

I was wondering what the issue was, haha.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 15, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

TIL people actually like Rubber (2010)

The first five minutes are pretty good, but everything after that is an exercise in running a singular joke right into the ground.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Goddamn, Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Goddamn, Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Robert Mitchum in anything, really.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Correct

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Everyone watch Out of the Past.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

13 Hours is actually two and a half hours of Michael Bay screaming "what the gently caress is the point of American imperialism in the Middle East?" while some sick firefights and explosions play in the background. Highly underrated.

The thematic centerpiece of that movie is when they're in the armored truck trying to escape the compound and they're just slowly, awkwardly backing up and negotiating a lane change for a few minutes while everyone's screaming at everyone in languages the other parties don't understand

It's not that subversive because it still couches its anti-imperialism in that hoary "dickless bureaucrats holding OUR BRAVE TROOPS back" poo poo to an extent, but it's legitimately a rare and pleasant surprise for the moral conclusion of that logic to be "get our troops out of there" rather than "get the bureacrats out of there and let our troops fire rifles at as many brown men as it takes"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

Dear White People

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

quote:

It's a story of left and right hand
It's a story of love and hate
It's a story of left and right hand
It's a story of love and hate

Well he's a cool one Ben Harper
Hangin' from a dead mans rope
And here's the story
The story two men wrote
Two men wrote
Two men wrote

It's a world of night for Pearl and John
It's a world of night when your daddy's gone
When everyone around you is so weak
You had to be so strong

In the night, in the night of the hunter
In the night, in the night

Little good you are to your family
Hangin' from a dead man's rope
And this is the story
The story two children wrote
Two children wrote
Two children wrote

In the night
In the night of the hunter
In the night of the hunter

Stronger than your Uncle Bernie
Stronger than Willa ever was
Strong as the shadows are long
Strong as the shadows are long

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even that Christmas movie he did was pretty good.

EDIT: Also, he almost but isn't quite enough to save The Big Sleep (1978).

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Another good Robert Mitchum song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG9L5WGMlfo

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

The thematic centerpiece of that movie is when they're in the armored truck trying to escape the compound and they're just slowly, awkwardly backing up and negotiating a lane change for a few minutes while everyone's screaming at everyone in languages the other parties don't understand

It's not that subversive because it still couches its anti-imperialism in that hoary "dickless bureaucrats holding OUR BRAVE TROOPS back" poo poo to an extent, but it's legitimately a rare and pleasant surprise for the moral conclusion of that logic to be "get our troops out of there" rather than "get the bureacrats out of there and let our troops fire rifles at as many brown men as it takes"

I thought the message was that Hillary should go to jail?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The main thing I've learned about criticism is to either not respond to it, or to ask constructive questions.

I feel like I gotta hit this point one last time: But i really don't mind criticism at all. What I did mind was the public post about how my first page was done wrong and a ripoff, which pretty much gave me the assumption that that person was not going to even give it a chance. And then made it a public thing, which I assumed wasn't going to happen because I sent this thing through email, and not just threw it up for everyone to see.

And even the second post about the first 30 pages being way too long, I didn't respond with any kind of hostility. I just asked if this could be taken to PM's.

The only thing I ask you do when it comes to judging my work is give it a fair chance. That's really it! I get in the "reeeeaaaall wooorrrrld" most scripts are thrown away when the slightest error occurs. Fine. But I'm not asking anyone to fund it. Just to help me fix it. So I feel like that treatment on my work, at least that first response about the camera angles, and the MIB 2 thing, felt really mean, and uncalled for.
So if someone sends me a harsh PM about how bad my script is, I will respond fairly. I may argue a few points, but that's only because I feel strongly about it. And I could be wrong, and someone's ideas give me a new perspective on the material, and I can finally get rid of stuff I once thought was important, but really wasn't.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Hey CP send it to me: daumounkhakpour@gmail.com, I will read itttttttttt

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

Everyone watch Out of the Past.

Hell, I'm down.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

I thought the message was that Hillary should go to jail?

I don't recall Clinton being mentioned in the film

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She was not. You can't call it apolitical, but it's not like, a weird hidden message movie with all these points alluding to Clinton.

But it is pretty dang great.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 15, 2017

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Budgie Jumping posted:

You don't have to agree with a work politically to enjoy it.
It's just dangerously naive to see things as apolitical.

Wasn't it said the the Somlians in Black Hawk Down inspired 28 Days Later or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FreudianSlippers posted:

That image was the first thing I though about after the title so if we can find a workable way of doing it properly we probably will. The gender swap is also partially motivated by the fact that we have a planned series of sketches with a female main character and we thought we might retrofit this one into that one.

I haven't actually looked it up but I bet there is a shitload of dildos that are hollow and designed for ejecting things but I somehow expect they are insanely expensive and that most of them are freaky alien tentacle dragon dongs.

Currently we are working on doing a almost remake of this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhV-4658syE
Except instead of getting naked the people eat forbidden potato chips like communion wafers.

Make the lego pissing thing a sexually transmitted disease. It makes more sense. Plus I think the main character gender swapping all of a sudden takes focus away from the craziness of pissing loving legos.

Probably that he's a nazi.

Yeah, I didn't know that before.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It makes me sad how little people talk about Munich because that's probably in the top three of Spielberg's entire career.

• Locked thread