Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Happitoo posted:

Or it'll end up like Dumbo where 90% of the time the virtual queue is non-existent.

I think a reservation type system has the opportunity to break people's brains. Like they've been trained for so long to stand in line and when it's their turn, they go. I could see massive meltdowns over people "cutting" in virtual line or some poo poo like that - like people with express pass, because crazies on vacation don't understand how the technology works.

Hell, I imagine Disney gets a shockingly non-zero amount of people every day who get into a fury about Fastpass, misbelieving "THAT THOSE ASSHOLES ONLY GET TO CUT IN LINE CAUSE THEY PAID TO", not understanding that it's a free service for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i heard a old guy yell at a concierge at pop because of fastpass and because his daughter didn't sign up for any and he was mad that the lines where so long :shrug:

then I always overhear people having fastpasses for poo poo like Living with the Land or rides like that that don't need them and I feel bad for them.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, but it is a nice system when the lines get longer and your kids need to get energy out. I'm all for these types of line replacements and expanded fast passes.

Oh I love Dumbo, even when there isn't a line. I told my daughter to go play in the playground while I go play Bench. I played Bench a lot.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Happitoo posted:

Oh I love Dumbo, even when there isn't a line. I told my daughter to go play in the playground while I go play Bench. I played Bench a lot.

omg sometimes Bench is my favorite ride.

Happened on my most recent trip
"So what ride are we going on next?!?"
"The bench ride"
"What's that?"
"It's where we sit down for like 15 minutes and I eat some goldfish and have a drink"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've slept on a quite a few benches in MK (when I'm too tired to walk to Carousel of Progress).

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Tom Bricker (Disney Tourist Blog) speculates that a park-wide virtual queue is actually a pretty bad idea, because it means that the thousands of people that would be standing around in all the queues are instead (trying) to walk around the park. We'll get a taste of it whenever Volcano Bay opens up, but it feels unlikely that place will ever get as crowded as the first two gates at Universal.

I'm skeptical of his argument (you should just be able to design/remodel additional footpaths now that you don't have to worry about queue space), but it's interesting to think about.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm just thinking of the nightmare that stage shows and parades would end up being.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Boxman posted:

Tom Bricker (Disney Tourist Blog) speculates that a park-wide virtual queue is actually a pretty bad idea, because it means that the thousands of people that would be standing around in all the queues are instead (trying) to walk around the park. We'll get a taste of it whenever Volcano Bay opens up, but it feels unlikely that place will ever get as crowded as the first two gates at Universal.

I'm skeptical of his argument (you should just be able to design/remodel additional footpaths now that you don't have to worry about queue space), but it's interesting to think about.

I think in a place like MK yeah, it would be awful. IoA and US are wide open enough that it can work better I think, but there's also less non-ride attractions there too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the quick service restaurants would see the brunt of the damage and there'd be even less places to sit and eat then there is now.

Tha'ts probably ym biggest problem with Disney World; there's not enough seating at most of the quick services and it's infuriating. Especially that one Mexican quick service that has like only 5 tables GRRR

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

I think the quick service restaurants would see the brunt of the damage and there'd be even less places to sit and eat then there is now.

Tha'ts probably ym biggest problem with Disney World; there's not enough seating at most of the quick services and it's infuriating. Especially that one Mexican quick service that has like only 5 tables GRRR

I thought they were policing seating to only those with food at Pecos Bill's, and was surprised last week when they weren't. Luckily, the seating area that almost always curtained off whenever I go was open. Also Pecos has way to many tables, you got practically shove yourself into another parties table in order to pass bye sometimes.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pecos is great but yeah I thought they were policing also. Oh well.

I wish they would do something about policing Caseys or Cosmic Rays though. Too many tables being taken up by people who are just chilling, especially the former.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

They used to police Cosmic Ray's. We waited in line with trays full of food for a table last time we ate there.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

then I always overhear people having fastpasses for poo poo like Living with the Land or rides like that that don't need them and I feel bad for them.

I waited almost an hour in line for that a few weeks ago.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's because EPCOT uses the priorty ride/secondary ride system for fast passes. You can fast pass Soarin or Test Track, but not both. Then the rest of your fast passes get spent on stuff that usually doesn't have much of a wait (though they can all go over an hour during crowded days).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My example was wrong but it was something where it was in the Tier One catergory when it shouldn't have been, I can't think of it off hand but I feel like it was in EPCOT. Maybe Mission Space?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Right now the tier one choices are Illuminations Test Track and Soarin'. I think they had Spaceship Earth there before as an option when the other two were all out.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually I remember it was when Soarin was down for refurb and Mission Space was back in the The top tier but still had like five minute waits

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I just don't ride the rides at Epcot :shrug:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I am very confused about how photopass stuff works

On the app i seem to have the choice between paying day by day for my pictures, or buying them all at once with memory maker.

On MDE online, it seems to give me an option to just buy a single picture for ~ $15. But I cant seem to make that work.

I only have 6 pictures I actually want. And would love to just pay $15 per. But will buy the 2 days if needed.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

couldcareless posted:

I just don't ride the rides at Epcot :shrug:

I've never done the Mars rover one, but Soarin' and Test Track are fun if you have a fast pass and Spaceship Earth is a classic.

But yeah, Epcot is all about the World Showcase. Never gets old.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Magic kingdom is packed today. The wait for haunted mansion was 70 minutes.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Reinanigans posted:

I've never done the Mars rover one, but Soarin' and Test Track are fun if you have a fast pass and Spaceship Earth is a classic.

But yeah, Epcot is all about the World Showcase. Never gets old.

Yeah I guess I should correct this, I don't ride the rides except Spaceship Earth because Judy Dench's voice is like audio crack

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
You need to do Soarin' - it's completely worth it!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
Agreed! It was incredible.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I'll be a dissenting voice. I thought Soarin was less entertaining than the pre-show with Patrick Warburton. The curvature of the screen was really obvious, especially during the Paris scene with the Eiffel Tower. Maybe that's attributable to where I was sitting, at the far left of the auditorium, but it was a serious detraction from the ride. And while this may be me just being a crotchety 31-year-old man, I thought the sound was out of balance: the noise at the jumps between scenes was much louder than it needed to be, perhaps to induce flinching/blinking and hide the transitions to the next scene.

When they update it next time, I really hope they do what someone else suggested and take the riders on a tour of various Disney kingdoms.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 15, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree but I think around the world is better than normal soarin

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Always fast pass Soarin and single rider Test Track.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Soarin wait time is much better with the third theatre. Soarin is the coolest ride system at Disney thought.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I'm looking forward to Soarin Around Pandora

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I guess I should be clearer, I've definitely done all the epcot rides (Soarin is indeed overrated but I will admit around the world is better than the original), but for the most part, I could skip them and be completely fine with that trip. Ironically, I still consider epcot my favorite park.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I mean I ride Soarin' pretty much every trip but if we skipped it I wouldn't be too upset.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now would you still be saying the same if food rocks was still there?!?!?

I think so :qq:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
When we did Soarin a couple weeks ago, during the pre-flight video with Pat Warburton, the CM stood next to the screen and said the ENTIRE thing out loud along with the video.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Being towards the middle definitely gives you a better experience rather than towards the side, due to the screen curvature. If you've got some time to kill and a charged up phone, and the wait is 60 or under, do the standby by and play the trivia game.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We're planning to go to Disney Springs on Saturday, March 11th, do Magic Kingdom on the 12th, and then Hollywood Studios/Epcot on the 13th. We've gotten reservations for Skipper Canteen at 8 pm on the 12th, and for the Japanese Edo restaurant at 8:30 pm on the 13th. I know that Edo is where you can really see "Illuminations" well, and since the fireworks start at 9 pm, we should be good to see them, right? Do you get any choice in where you sit to eat? Obviously we'd like to sit outside to watch the fireworks while we eat.

Besides camping out in front of the castle, where is a good spot to watch the fireworks in Magic Kingdom? We've only ever camped out in front of the castle/on Main Street.

Last, do any of you have any recommendations for great restaurants in Disney Springs? We're leaning towards the Art Smith Homecoming restaurant since it seems tasty, low-key, and not stupidly expensive, but I'm open to suggestions!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Last, do any of you have any recommendations for great restaurants in Disney Springs? We're leaning towards the Art Smith Homecoming restaurant since it seems tasty, low-key, and not stupidly expensive, but I'm open to suggestions!

Morimotos Asia, Bongos Cuban, and Ragland Road are all awesome. For a quick cheap bite, you can't beat Earl of Sandwich. Heading there now for a sandwich and then seeing a movie (the Disney AMC is a fantastic theater as well).

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Reinanigans posted:

Besides camping out in front of the castle, where is a good spot to watch the fireworks in Magic Kingdom? We've only ever camped out in front of the castle/on Main Street.

I read about the TTC and around the New Fantasyland walls a fair bit.

(not my photo)

Splash Mountain, and to a lesser extent, Big Thunder Mountain, also give neat views, but obviously you're not really watching the fireworks. More like glimpsing them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blaze Pizza has some good pizza, including vegan cheese if you have any hardcore vegans in your party. You can also get some poutine in several varieties (like Italian) near the World of Disney side entrance.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Bottom Liner posted:

Morimotos Asia, Bongos Cuban, and Ragland Road are all awesome. For a quick cheap bite, you can't beat Earl of Sandwich. Heading there now for a sandwich and then seeing a movie (the Disney AMC is a fantastic theater as well).

Haha, she's Cuban, and I'm Cuban-American and we live in Miami, so we'll probably skip that one, but Morimoto's is definitely on the list of spots we will try, but probably not on this trip since I hear it's pretty pricy.

Blaze Pizza looks great, and since we're trying to not break the bank on this trip (we have 3 others planned for this year, at least) this is probably where we'll end up going.

After talking it over with the wife, we'll probably leave Skipper Canteen for another trip. So aside from Pecos Bills, are there any other highly recommended quick service restaurants in MK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blaze is awesome just a heads up there's always like a thirty minute wait to get in though