Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I finally managed to have a successful Saxony game. Managed to conquer Denmark, Poland and a bunch of other stuff and reform the faith all with one character. He just died at almost 80 and though I managed to get the least lovely son to inherit his brother's took all the good counties

. Now I'm stuck with a underdeveloped Podunk county with barely any troops and literally everyone and their dog is declaring war on me including my brothers two of whom count as kings of areas they have no holdings in.I've managed to beat of the pretenders but the few remaining Slavics to the east are trying to reclaim their ancestral land, the unreformed Norse are holy warring me, and the Sweden blob is trying to take Skåne.

Oddly the Karling haven't even looked at me funny.

I think I should try to get a proper system of inheritance as soon as can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's always fun when you are looking at the map and then find a kinsman in a completely unexpected place.

And I wonder if me converting to Norman would screw over the entirety of the Norse culture, as it needs at least one empire level title for it to not split up or for the religion head to have that, so if I'm bot but norman but not norse will that gently caress errythang up?

That does sound very amusing! Maybe I will go for it after all.

I still don't understand why you would ever switch from Norse to Norman. Just for the retinue?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have no idea! I suppose it'd be more accurate to say "I hope Sunnis get some relevant content whether it be a monastic order ot society or whatever" :v:

I'm hoping there will be some ahistorical societies that don't exist at the game start, but can be created by decision, to give some options to religions that aren't getting them.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Torrannor posted:

I still don't understand why you would ever switch from Norse to Norman. Just for the retinue?

So you can leapfrog to English with the Anglo-Saxon melting pot.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Couched Lance charge is also pretty good.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I finally did it. Charlie to End. Seven. Goddamn. Centuries.

I went from the Duke of Cornwall, to this.

I don't think I have ever been happier to see this screen in my life.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

ShootaBoy posted:

Cool. Now convert and carry on to EU4....

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ShootaBoy posted:

I can't believe the Abbasids are still in power here.:stare:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Grey Hunter posted:

God no. I don't think I would even if I liked EU.

Honky Dong Country posted:

I can't believe the Abbasids are still in power here.:stare:

They spent basically the entire game either jihading Anatolia and getting their poo poo kicked in, or being crusaded for Jerusalem and kicking everyone else's poo poo in.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Grey Hunter posted:

Speaking of, how is EU4s newfangled Nation Designer for recreating CK2 scenarios you no longer have the save for? :v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I have completed quite a few games and never seen anything but the Abassids (or Seljuks in 1066) and the HRE (if formed or if in 1066) perfectly stable the entire time unless I intervened. Sometimes the Byzantines lose half their territory to the Muslims, sometimes they're also super stable. I'm mystified every time I see a post on here going "haha look how the Abassids totally imploded" and always assume the player encouraged that to happen somehow.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I literally can't remember the last time I saw a Muslim dynasty go any great distance without getting brutally owned by decadence.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Torrannor posted:

So that if I reform the faith, it would force all the other norse to turn Swedish/Norwegian/Danish

It's not done for mechanical benefits, though I'm curious if there are any whatsoever. I'm not even rightly sure if it would even work because I have the empire of Bretagnaland~

I do it for the chaos it might cause, because it would be interesting!

TaurusTorus posted:

So you can leapfrog to English with the Anglo-Saxon melting pot.
Mon dieux! At least the Normans have wine, good weather, culture...

(Also that area is alreadly mostly conquered while I left the Karlings alone until they fragmented a bit more. Backfired a bit with West Francia now holding Aquitane and parts of Africa but I have them boxed in there~

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive seem the Abbasid implode many times, in my games is usually Biz that will remain 100% stable unless I intervene

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I have seen the Byzantines lose to elective revolt after revolt but rarely seen them completely implode

Then again, also rarely seen them blob

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I have seen the Byzantines lose to elective revolt after revolt but rarely seen them completely implode

Yeah, in my games they usually stay about the same size from beginning to end

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I started a new game after a long period of not playing and I have a problem with landed commanders. As soon as I assign a landed commander to one of my armies they disappear within a week in-game, non-landed commanders work fine. What's up with this, is there someway to fix it?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TjyvTompa posted:

I started a new game after a long period of not playing and I have a problem with landed commanders. As soon as I assign a landed commander to one of my armies they disappear within a week in-game, non-landed commanders work fine. What's up with this, is there someway to fix it?

AFAIK, landed commanders can leave your armies to take command their own or to be in the council or something liket hat. Just like when you press that "do not command armies" in your own character screen

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Elias_Maluco posted:

AFAIK, landed commanders can leave your armies to take command their own or to be in the council or something liket hat. Just like when you press that "do not command armies" in your own character screen

I guess this is it. Irritating though, they didn't used to do this. Or maybe it's happening because I'm playing horde and my vassals always have large standing armies that they want to lead.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TjyvTompa posted:

Or maybe it's happening because I'm playing horde and my vassals always have large standing armies that they want to lead.

Probably this. Is not usually that common

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

I guess this is it. Irritating though, they didn't used to do this. Or maybe it's happening because I'm playing horde and my vassals always have large standing armies that they want to lead.

Unless you're extremely small as a nomad (<10k horde), you don't want to put your vassal khans as commanders anyway. They get too much prestige for it, and you don't want to do anything to upset the realm balance when you're that small. If they have enough prestige there is a good chance they'll dispute the succession, and civil wars can get messy.

That said, revolting clans is a fantastic way to consolidate power if you can deal with the war. Once you win and imprison them, you can absorb them and then spin off a new single county clan who will love you, yet also be so weak that he can't do anything bad anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

My last Zoroastrian game the Byzantines were an unstoppable force that ate half of Eastern Europe and stalemated with the Abassids, it was really frustrating and it took me the entire 867-end date just to accomplish things that I'd done by the mid-1100s in previous attempts. :(

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Does anyone know how to limit the reinforcement rate for start troops for a specific character? Tagging it as 'reinforces = yes' reinforces the entire stack by the end of the month, but it's a bit overkill. Ideally, I'd like around 20-30 per month tops.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

of all the counties to declare a peasant revolt in, you pick this one

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 16, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I solved the problem. Got nearly all my heirs and important family members back.

Step 1: Kill God
Step 2: Challenge the King of West Francia to a duel
Step 3: Execute the King of West Francia's children at the Great Blot
Step 4: Win the duel, show no mercy
Step 5: Assemble 11k man raiding party
Step 6: Pillage all of West Francia. Every town, castle, village, bishopric
Step 7: Accept peasant king's pleas for mercy in the form of ransom offers
Step 8: Give the King his gold back.
Step 9: Holy war for Normandy

:allears:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Gods, I know what the gently caress the people at Paradox were thinking when they disallowed you a transferring vassals willy nilly but it's loving retarded I can't make the chief of Man into the vassal of Wales when they're literally next to each other just because they aren't ~their de jure vassal~

Why the gently caress isn't there a rule about giving you back sane rules about transferring vassals??

or a console command for that matter....

UGH

And now I can't pick whether I should go for the Byzantine empire or Egypt; one would help weaken the Sunnis while the other is more vulnerable and would allow me to gain a huge amount of land from which to launch further Assaults against both Christendom and Islam.

I suppose it would also be a magnet for trouble for the Christians but gently caress'em, they arent such a big issue when you can always just conquer the pope. The Sunnis meanwhile could be a huge hassle...

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 16, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can't transfer dukes as vassals. If it was the count of Mann you could transfer him to the king of Nubia if you wanted. De jure has nothing to do with it. With console commands you can just give the duchy of man to the king of Wales and it'll become part of his demense.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 16, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Feature request: A "NO I AM NOT INTERESTED IN MARRYING THIS WOMAN OFF TO ANYONE IN YOUR COURT SO STOP SPAMMING ME ABOUT IT YOU CHUCKLEFUCK" button

Thanks in advance

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also a "stop loving" interaction option with your wife.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The caliph of Egypt has declared holy war for Sicily against the republic of Amalfi twice, raising a 14k-strong army and then calling me to help with my pitiful 3k stack. Both times the army sat still in Alexandria, refusing to move even to attack an enemy half the size one county over. :wtf:

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I've never played a Muslim ruler so I'm not super familiar with their mechanics but what would be the easiest way to force the Abbasid to fragment?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Volkerball posted:

You can't transfer dukes as vassals. If it was the count of Mann you could transfer him to the king of Nubia if you wanted. De jure has nothing to do with it. With console commands you can just give the duchy of man to the king of Wales and it'll become part of his dememse.

You absolutely can transfer dukes to their de jure liege, you just can't to anyone else

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Allyn posted:

You absolutely can transfer dukes to their de jure liege, you just can't to anyone else

That makes sense. Counts you can transfer to whoever though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

You can't transfer dukes as vassals. If it was the count of Mann you could transfer him to the king of Nubia if you wanted. De jure has nothing to do with it. With console commands you can just give the duchy of man to the king of Wales and it'll become part of his demense.
Nopes, as Allyn points out you CAN in fact do that; the reason they got rid of you being able to do it with anyone was that after the vassal limit was involved, some dudes apparently were moving dukes around to random kings? Or so I remember hearing, so now it's only de jure and maybe if they're neighbours?

Also goddammit you stupid fucks, your stupid claims will never get pressed! There should be a "this guy is way more powerful than me and I'm surrounded by loving muslims! I should probably care more about that than my lovely weak claims!" when asking for alliances!

The fact that "common enemies", "same interests" and "same dynasty" are only 2 pips each while "I have a lovely weak claim on one of your titles is, jesus how loving many is that is insane (why are these not numbers like in EUIV???)

I just want to protect you dickheads! Is that so hard to understand!? If you are seriously going to be this loving obstinate, then it's time to teach you shitheads what a tributary is!

Also dammit, why is there not a "hey dawg there's a holy war you can join" alert you can tick? I would hope that the head of the goddamn religion might be somewhat interested in that happening, especially when it's the Norse Fylkir...

SO MAD AT VIDEOGAMES

Spaseman posted:

I've never played a Muslim ruler so I'm not super familiar with their mechanics but what would be the easiest way to force the Abbasid to fragment?
From within? Repeated revolts to lower crown authority/increase council authority would be your best bet, alongside assassinations and kidnappings against the Caliph. Intrigue focus is absolutely your favourite friend, because for some dumb reason muslims can't have parties.

edit: why can I not make my family tributaries

what the gently caress is even going on anymore

edit edit: scotland was buddhist
basically one of the Khazan Khagans had some converts to buddhism, who he then married to the Norwegian Yngling king, who then converted to buddhism

he quickly found out when a simultaneous catholic revolt, conquest and war for the crown hit him that life is, indeed, suffering

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 16, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nopes, as Allyn points out you CAN in fact do that; the reason they got rid of you being able to do it with anyone was that after the vassal limit was involved, some dudes apparently were moving dukes around to random kings? Or so I remember hearing, so now it's only de jure and maybe if they're neighbours?

I don't remember. I've never had any issues with moving counts around though. Every duchy I conquer, I give a no name courtier control of all of the counties within it, and then transfer his vassalage to whatever I consider to be his de jure king. In time, either he or his new king create/usurp the duchy title. Through that I've still been able to customize things how I want.

Each of these vassals only has one kingdom title, but not one of them is in control of only one de jure kingdom. Persia is Mesopotamia and Persia, Sindh is Afghanistan, Baluchistan, Sindh, and Punjab, Turkestan is Khiva and Turkestan, Syria is Syria, Jerusalem, and the parts of Egypt that aren't in my capital duchy, Abyssinia is Abyssinia, Nubia, and Arabia, etc etc.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, you can do that but I'm trying to get back below 40 holdings so I can prepare more invasions, but I just grant independence willy nilly they're gonna get eaten up by the Christians and Muslims. These were duchies I had created to break up Dukes with too many vassals so nyeh.

Speaking of Muslims, the Jihad for Jerusalem was a resounding success for them and I can't say I miss that indefensible shithole much. I can say that the reason we lost was because half of the morons headed towards Spain, where the last remnant of the Ummayd Sultinate was, because they were the vassals of the Abbasids and so that was the closest target to them.

You would think that there would be some manner of importance laid to actually going to the drat target of the invasion but alas, apparently not. On the upside we now have the Jomsvikings and the three invasions of Hwice, England and Aquitane are thus far going splendidly, if by that I mean that I am the only thing keeping them going and am losing 60 ducats a month doing so. ( I should clarify, that this is after me having kept the Merchant Republics of Venice, Mali, Iceland and Mann under my control, I was still 60 ducats in the hole a month)

I almost beat the one in England too early, where I captured all his heirs, giving 100% warscore.

To prolong the war, I murdered his three infant sons. I did this so as to steal every inch of his land I could before my idiot cousin ended the war without further bloodshed.

Needless to say, the soon to be landless "King" of England is not to happy about things!

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 16, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Is there anything you can do to lower the "threatening" thing except granting independence? I'm playing as a horde and I can only do 1 invasion every 15-20 years. I am powerful enough to just say gently caress it but it is so irritating having a gazillion small armies wander all over your lands building their small forts on your grazing lands that you then have to spend years trudging around to remove.

I played as a horde right after the release of that DLC and while the fixed pillaging mechanic and pop growth is nice the new threatening mechanic is way too restrictive. It gives me like 10% threat for each county I take. Too much!
Right now my strategy is to wait for it to go down to 0 and then start 3-5 invasions at once then sit on my rear end for 15-20 years. It sucks and isn't fun. There isn't anything to do as a horde except wage war and this mechanic just limits it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Man allies just love doing exactly the opposite of what will win wars. If you've got a big gently caress-off army that doesn't need help then they'll always attach all their dudes to you so you get your rear end torn up by attrition but if you're an underdog with a strong ally then they'll just slowly besiege some random county while ignoring all the enemy armies they could flatten without any effort.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Im the Doge of Venice and my heir just got himself landed as a baron somehow. If I let him remain my heir, will I still be a merchant republic when my current character dies? Or would I become a kingdom or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Dev diary on the very historical Hermetics

• Locked thread